Code of Conduct

Thread: No Deodorant?

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Deodorant?

I always read how celebrity so and so doesn't wear any deodorant... He just lets his "manly" smell do the work. I was wondering how these guys don't smell bad when they don't wear any...I feel like if I don't have any on, I smell like BO.. Any thoughts on this? Does anybody on here not wear deodorant? If so, do you just cover up any smell with fragrance, or is this a bad idea?... I know there are a couple schools of thought on this topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No Deodorant?

When you become a famous multi-millionaire and everyone wants to be around you solely because of your money, then you should give it a try. Until then, PLEASE WEAR DEODORANT!

I wear unscented natural lichen deodorant. Completely odorless and works all day long.

http://www.vitacost.com/Earth-Scienc...rant-Unscented

Post Thanks / Like

Some people don't perspire much, so they have little bacteria breaking down to make them smell bad.

I doubt female underarm bacteria is different from mens'. On the few times I've come across women and men who haven't washed under their arms - well - they smelled the same to me. I'm not sure what's manly about unwashed armpits, it could just as easily be womanly.

Anyhow, there's no reason to wear deodorants when there are far more effective antiperspirants on sale.
    Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, celebrities will say anything to be noticed on the mags.

For non-celebs, Europeans seem to have a higher social tolerance - or perhaps do they just sweat less? As I mentioned already elsewhere, Americans seem to love all the sporty stuff that smells like disinfectant. This may be indicative.

As a European, I do not put deodorant, and so far I have not yet been publicly ostracized, at least, I am not aware of it. I do wash daily and after the gym, of course. Hair increases the smell (the sweat clings to the hair), and I wax, so that helps too. I also wear jackets, which also helps by introducing a barrier.

I do spray perfume on my armpits, but not really to cover odors (I'm not sure it works - though it does contain alcohol, so it must help to kill some bacteria), but because I find it a good place to do so. The heat of the armpit makes it evaporate, yet it's covered so it remains close to the body.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    When you become a famous multi-millionaire and everyone wants to be around you solely because of your money, then you should give it a try. Until then, PLEASE WEAR DEODORANT!
    This made me laugh and I must agree personally.

If you look like some of the stars that I've read go sans deodorant, great. Don't worry about it. You're famous, handsome and rich and a lot of women will overlook a lot for that (BUT not all!)

I've read some famous very rich geniuses are the same way. If you're a billionaire, great. Billions will make people look the other way.

If you're an average guy, don't be a fool. There are lots of unscented deodorant/anti-persperant choices. I like Clarins for Men myself.

It's possible you may be a type of person that doesn't sweat a lot or has less problems with odor. I personally think it has a lot to do with diet. Thinking vegans probably have fewer offensive odors. I believe some Asians had a term for westerners that roughly translated as "stinks of butter" due to the higher percentage of meat and fat in our diets. I notice differences after I work out depending on what I've been eating.

Almost anybody can go one day without. But then those bacteria start to party.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th June 2011 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Anyhow, there's no reason to wear deodorants when there are far more effective antiperspirants on sale.
    Very true.

It's a personal thing. StylinLA is right diet has a lot to do with it.

If you don't happen to perspire a lot and trim/shave your underarms, you won't need much, if anything, at least on cooler days. However, there are people who can't get away with any of that at all and do need it all the time.

In any event unscented deo or anti-perspirant is the best imo.

I hardly ever sweat, at least in a perceptible way, and rarely use deodorant. Also, frags last a very long time with my "skin chemistry." If it's a really hot day, then I will sweat if I go outside for more than a few minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    It's a personal thing. StylinLA is right diet has a lot to do with it.
    Fast food is the worst. Ugh.

Post Thanks / Like

Regards,
    Renato
    Where can I check some of these out? I'm interested in finding something without a lot of aluminum in it...most of the stuff I've found that is aluminum free is slimy or ineffective..

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Where can I check some of these out? I'm interested in finding something without a lot of aluminum in it...most of the stuff I've found that is aluminum free is slimy or ineffective..
    Try vitamin/health food stores or "organic" supermarkets, etc. There's the mineral crystal (both solid and in liquid form) that's a deodorant. Not sticky, no odor, no color or stains. It's considered very, very effective by most people (including myself). Other deodorants also don't generally have the aluminum but the gel or stick form will usually be sticky. It's the anti-perspirants that have the harmful aluminum, etc. and I don't know if you can even have an a-p without that.

The problem with antiperspirants is that they usu. contain aluminum salts, which have been implicated in long-term health problems.

I try to only use deodorants made without aluminum. Those "deodorant natural crystals" also contain aluminum, so it's best to check the ingredients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodora..._neurotoxicity
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I use a roll-on called CertainDri which you apply the night before. The next day your armpits are bone dry. I also shower daily using Dr Bronner's Peppermint liquid soap. I love being clean, it makes me feel relaxed and safe somehow.

Celebrities think their chit don't stink, too.....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Post Thanks / Like

Adonis...I don't know if I could apply it the night before since I always shower in the morning (and after the gym at night)... Can CertainDri be applied after a shower and still be effective, or does it need hours to set up?

Post Thanks / Like

For years I kept trying different "natural" deodorants, and none worked, so I kept using my old trusty Mitchum unscented gel, which could probably be used to seal dams. But once I quit smoking, those natural deodorants worked all of a sudden! I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Years ago I tried Certain-Dri and it made my armpits itch something fierce and then they broke out in a rash. So be careful.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The problem with antiperspirants is that they usu. contain aluminum salts, which have been implicated in long-term health problems.

I try to only use deodorants made without aluminum. Those "deodorant natural crystals" also contain aluminum, so it's best to check the ingredients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodora..._neurotoxicity
    Looking up up the evidence I found stuff like this:

"However, when only aluminum-containing antacids were analyzed, the overall adjusted OR was only 0.7 (95% CI = 0.3–2.0) and there was no significant dose-response trend. These results are provocative but inconclusive due to methodologic problems relating to the necessary use of surrogate respondents and the long time period of potential exposure for this dementing disease."

As a scientist myself I wouldn't dare to publish a paper that is inconclusive due to methodologic problems. In Europe we have a certain kind of joke that starts with: "American scientists have found, that <include any hilarious correlation of A with B>"

Example given: "The statistical risk of lethal death increases significantly with age, especially when over 90 - take care!" This was actually not a joke, but the clue of the margarine versus butter (cholesterine) war ... I don't want to become too earnest - sorry.

Yeah, I like a well groomed body odor and prefer it on people I love over *any* fragrance! Short flashback, as others mention the diet to make You smell: by my cholesterine figures I'm dead since 20years! By my veins I'm just that 20 years old.

No offense!

An other one:

"<... BREAST CANCER!!!! ...> The aluminium content of breast tissue and breast tissue fat were in the range 4–437 nmol/g dry wt. and 3–192 nmol/g oil, respectively. The aluminium content of breast tissue in the outer regions (axilla and lateral) was significantly higher (P = 0.033) than the inner regions (middle and medial) of the breast. Whether differences in the regional distribution of aluminium in the breast are related to the known higher incidence of tumours in the outer upper quadrant of the breast remains to be ascertained."

I personally think this is very close to fraud. Again, sorry, I don't want to offend anybody here, enjoy Your day ;-)
    Last edited by WildThingy; 10th June 2011 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Looking up up the evidence I found stuff like this:

"However, when only aluminum-containing antacids were analyzed, the overall adjusted OR was only 0.7 (95% CI = 0.3–2.0) and there was no significant dose-response trend. These results are provocative but inconclusive due to methodologic problems relating to the necessary use of surrogate respondents and the long time period of potential exposure for this dementing disease."

In Europe we have a certain kind of joke that starts with: "American scientists have found, that <include any hilarious correlation of A with B>"

Example given: "The statistical risk of lethal death increases significantly with age, especially when over 90 - take care!" This was actually not a joke, but the clue of the margarine versus butter (cholesterine) war ... I don't want to become too earnest - sorry.

Yeah, I like a well groomed body odor and prefer it on people I love over *any* fragrance! Short flashback, as others mention the diet to make You smell: by my cholesterine figures I'm dead since 20years! By my veins I'm just that 20 years old.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00446-0148.pdf

Read what begins on page 152.

Another article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10697247

Anyone can slant figures to get the conclusion they want, I guess.

After all, George Burns smoked cigars and lived to be 100. People will smoke cigars and some people will not.

I would better be safe than sorry and avoid aluminum salts.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00446-0148.pdf

Read what begins on page 152.

Another article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10697247

Anyone can slant figures to get the conclusion they want, I guess.

After all, George Burns smoked cigars and lived to be 100. People will smoke cigars and some people will not.

I would better be safe than sorry and avoid aluminum salts.
    First reference (dated an ancient 1985):

"Data related to the tendency for subsequent development of neurofibrillary tangles or outright Alzheimer's disease in individuals with industrial exposure to aluminum have not, to our knowledge, been published.
    Despite its natural abundance, it is clear that aluminum can be a potent neurotoxin to certain mammalian species. The means by which the element gains access to the tangle-bearing neurons seen in the brains of Alzheimer's disease victims or of the affected Chamorro natives currently remains unknown."

It's only speculative, exactly zero evidence yet! And the speculation isn't that plausible, too.

Second reference (dated 2000):

"The monthly intracisternal inoculation of aluminum chloride (AlCl3) ... receiving either single (1000 microg) or repeated sublethal (100 microg monthly) ... Our studies demonstrate that microglial activation in vivo is inhibited by AlCl3 exposure, and that a correlation exists between the extent of microglia suppression and the potential for recovery. This suggests that microglial activation is an important determinant of neuronal injury."

1) The aluminium was injected directly into the smallish brains of those poor rabbits and check the numbers - these are more than billion times higher than any thinkable exposure by deodorant and then the rabbits eventually recovered.

2) The focus of the study was totally differnt from checking for Alzheimer Desease.

3) The origin of Alzheimer Desease is also related to other factors, and maybe it is not too different from scrapie or later BSE, induced by prions, which became quite popular in the early 80s (paralled by AIDS).

I'm quite engaged with this because my physician suggested I should take a Lipobay medicamentation because of my sky rocketing cholesterine levels. If I did I would be plain dead now. From that my sceintific education was worth the effort. In made me use my brain (not demented yet) and being critical against authorities.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 10th June 2011 at 06:34 AM.

crystal stick...it's kinda like wearing no deodorant

Post Thanks / Like

Adonis...I don't know if I could apply it the night before since I always shower in the morning (and after the gym at night)... Can CertainDri be applied after a shower and still be effective, or does it need hours to set up?
    Yes, you can shower it off in the morning. That's exactly what I do. It's very different from regular antiperspirants. Your pits will still be Mojave Desert dry. It'll take 2-3 nights of applications in the beginning until you see it work, but after that you'll only have to apply it every other night - the effects last 48 hrs, even more.

Make sure your pits are completely dry before you roll it on, otherwise it'll sting a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Botox is the norm for the celebs, injected under the arms it stops you sweating for 6 months or more.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Strange, I always thought celebrities use much better and more effective deodorants than the rest of us

Post Thanks / Like

I don't but I don't think I'm very smelly. Women do indeed seem to like a bit of (fresh) man sweat.

I also would use powdered wigs instead of washing my hair, but sadly this seems to be not in fashion anymore.

I understand the evolutionary pheremonal advantage of sweating but now that we don't need it any more (much like body hair for warmth) I now see it as an infuriating nuisance. I used to wear different deodorants on different days to best compliment scents I was wearing, but ultimately settled on unscented.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like to wear a tee shirt all the time. It seems wick sweat away and evaporate it before it has much chance to foster bacteria. Of course, there is a limit to this, in very hot weather or doing heavy exercise. But a tee shirt helps when you are wearing good clothes under normal conditions. When I wear a tank top or go shirtless, I sweat a lot and it never seems to dry. Antiperspirant has a very short life on me, and it is sticky and unpleasant. So I keep changing my tee shirt. I even took an extra tee shirt to the office in hot weather, for a quick switch at lunchtime (wearing a dress shirt on top). A quick spritz of Sea Breeze is refreshing when a wash is not possible. In Thailand, people take several showers a day, maybe one very soapy thorough one, others with less soap or even just a cool rinse. But that depends on your lifestyle...

Post Thanks / Like

You can check the internet out for "natural antiperspirant" and you will find lots of ads warning you about the horrors of aluminium salts in commercial antiperspirants, and how their stuff is better because it's natural. Keep searching and you will then find the skeptics - who laughingly relate the lack of science behind the aluminium salts scare, and who also point out that most of those natural products are indeed "natural" - as in "natural" aluminium salts.

Aluminium salts as antiperspirants have been around for 70 or 80 years. Giving that I've never heard of anyone's death certificate citing aluminium salt poisoning, and that life spans have been increasing where everyone has been using these salts - call me a skeptic too.

My main gripe with aluminium antiperspirants is that during the 70s and early 80s, antiperspirants contained on average 3.5% Aluminium Chlorhydoxide/ Chlorhydrate. And the very strong sports strength ones contained 4%, sometimes 4.5%. And they worked very well at those concentrations.

But that percentage started creeping up as manufacturers seemed to have an antiperspirant arms race with each other, to now, where the strength - just looking at what is on my dressing table - ranges from 9% for my Mitchum spray can to 18% for my Rexona for Men pump spray. I suspect those concentrations are a waste of money.

Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found in the past that aluminum-based products could make white clothes turn yellow. Has this problem been solved?

No deodorant here. I don't like antiperspirants, they make me sweat even more from the rest of the body that is not covered with antiperspirant, so I don't really get the point. Sweat has to exit somewhere. My temples can literally be dripping with sweat when I apply antiperspirant....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    I found in the past that aluminum-based products could make white clothes turn yellow. Has this problem been solved?
    They've never made anything with white on it turm yellow on me.
    I did have problems with old cans left in the back of the cupboard though. If the can gets over 5 years old, the composition of something it changes - it seemed to trap bad smells into the armpit hair. Normal soap didn't remove it, I had to use sandy soap - of the type that gets car grease off - to clean my under arms, before chucking the cans in the rubbish.
    Renato

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

I would never consider not wearing an anti-perspirant/deodorant.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    old trusty Mitchum unscented gel, which could probably be used to seal dams.
    Best option out there. Sorry, but, I don't buy into all this "natural" stuff. At some point anything is "bad" for you, I go for what is tried and true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I seem to be somewhat predisposed to sweat more than most, and, I live in a very hot and humid tropical area. I have to agree with petruccijc, never even enters my mind not too. I even sometimes reapply late in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    I even sometimes reapply late in the day.
    Have you tried Rexona Men Clinical Protection Anti-perspirant?
    The instructions on the box say that it is best applied when going to bed, so that it works better the next day.
    Which is novel.
    Though I spray most antiperspirants on before going to bed anyway - they lose their scent by morning, and are thus fragrance free.
    Regards,
    Renato

All of need to make our own choices on toiletries and health based on which data we choose to take as valid.

Here is a discussion from the boys at Badger and Blade. (For the record, men of the 19th century used alum blocks to smooth and sooth the skin. It gave them that porcelain smooth skin.)

As Forest Gump said, "And that's all I'm gonna say about it."

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive...p/t-53681.html

Post Thanks / Like

All of need to make our own choices on toiletries and health based on which data we choose to take as valid.

Here is a discussion from the boys at Badger and Blade. (For the record, men of the 19th century used alum blocks to smooth and sooth the skin. It gave them that porcelain smooth skin.)

As Forest Gump said, "And that's all I'm gonna say about it."

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive...p/t-53681.html
    Just being skeptical again. If one has mild heartburn or reflux or mild gastric upsets, one goes into the pharmacy and buys chewable tablets where one is supposed to take one or two - each containing 400 or more milligrams of aluminium hydroxide - after meals. If eating aluminium and getting it into the bloodstream and then kidneys was that bad, we'd have known about it by now.

21st century gentlemen also use Alum blocks. I have a couple of the Trumper ones. I can't honestly say I'm that impressed with their efficacy after shaving, but some people still do swear by them.
    Regards,
    Renato

Just being skeptical again. If one has mild heartburn or reflux or mild gastric upsets, one goes into the pharmacy and buys chewable tablets where one is supposed to take one or two - each containing 400 or more milligrams of aluminium hydroxide - after meals. If eating aluminium and getting it into the bloodstream and then kidneys was that bad, we'd have known about it by now.

21st century gentlemen also use Alum blocks. I have a couple of the Trumper ones. I can't honestly say I'm that impressed with their efficacy after shaving, but some people still do swear by them.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I see your point here: everything in moderation. A little aluminum used each day is not likely to kill you. Then again, if one has an occupation where heavy metals, solvents or metal salts are part of your daily fare, it might bode well to research (aircraft or auto mechanics, artists, house cleaners...) and make an informed decision.

As you know, I also read Badger and Blade and am quite aware alum blocks are still sold and used... The Art of Shaving sells an unscented one so as not to clash with one's fragrance.

And I also have a shaving styptic pencil, too, and also in the medicine kit for small cuts.

I suppose one can also use this shared product:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=2995

If you are hairy, trim or shave your pits. I do.
    Use a good antiperspirant, the clinical ones work very well. Many say they do work best if put on before bed.
    I've had up to 72 hours of odor and wetness protection from these.
    Do yourself and the world a favor... smell good! This is the 21st century.

Post Thanks / Like

If I know beforehand I will not be interacting with people, I will not apply deodorant.
    The idea of something masking (deodorant) or blocking (antiperspirant) makes me feel uncomfortable and unnatural.
    I'm not a stinky person in general anyways.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 24th July 2011 at 08:07 PM.

for swap/sale:

Anybody here do the old method of slapping on Gold Bond body powder to stay cool? In my opinion it's the most effective option when you live in a tropical climate like I do. Only way to beat the humidity and heat. I'm open to suggestions though.
    http://www.lookgoodinc.com

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing worse than smelling someone else's BO, especially if you work with them and can't avoid them.

Quite disgusting, tbh.

I could'nt leave the house without having a shower, nevermind not applying anti-perspirant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack28 View Post
    Anybody here do the old method of slapping on Gold Bond body powder to stay cool? In my opinion it's the most effective option when you live in a tropical climate like I do. Only way to beat the humidity and heat. I'm open to suggestions though.
    The blue bottle Gold Bond foot powder has an even higher percentage of menthol in it (which I personally like). I'll use it during really hot and humid days as a body powder. Works very well to keep certain parts from sticking (if you know what I mean).

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This. I'm what you'd call 'hot blooded', and I sweat a lot. It's a habit for me to apply a antiperspirant/deodorant unless I try to give everyone my own personal emissions of secretions magnifique. I'm practically obsessed with cleanliness and hygiene, so it's a habit.

Post Thanks / Like

Diet diet diet

If you want to go without deodorant then you need to be putting the proper foods into your body.
    I use one of them Tom's of Maine natural deals, but if I happen to forget it doesn't matter because I don't stink. I used to stink a long time ago when I ate like an average person, though.

The mitchum unscented is NOT unscented - it has some kind of minty/white musk aroma that - to my nose at least- was VERY strong. It greatly interfered with any fragrance I was wearing.

I've tried all the natural options and - despite having a pretty clean diet - none of them worked for me. The best I had found was the Earth Science Unscented Lichen deodorant (linked to in the 2nd post by Shaheen). This does work for me in cooler weather. Most of the time though, I use Ban Unscented Roll-On. It is truly unscented, totally clear, and works a charm.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

agree ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    - despite having a pretty clean diet -
    It's more than that. I eat like a psychopath: No white flour, no sugar, very few animal fats, no trans fats, lots of omega-3s, lots of raw vegetables, lots of fruits, lots of raw nuts, and lots of whole grains. I may cheat on holidays, but other than that I'm really strict. My co-workers make fun of me for bringing raw vegetables and nuts to work. I need to up my protein and calorie intake now due to lifting, so the deodorant may become a bit more essential, but I can still swing the all natural stuff for sure.

Never wear any...but then again I live in Colorado where humidity is non-existent and the temperature is pretty mild, esp. in the mountains.
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

That's a lot of stuff to do besides wearing deodorant. But I don't understand what the problem with wearing deodorant is. It's cheap and effective. Rich people will say anything to try and start a fad. But u can always tell when a person smells like BO. And it's not pleasant.
    ~D.G.~

mihailo

I use vodka in the morning on the axillae, I let it dry, then take a shower and that's it.

The most important thing is wearing breathable clothes.

I tried every single deodorant and antiperspirant under the sun and have come up with a conclusion they all make my sweating even worse.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent worn any in years. And never been told by anyone close to me that I needed to.

Im sure some individuals need to, but for me it was a matter of just stopping and letting my pores clear from years of being clogged up .....by deoderant.

Daily cleaning of the armpits with cheap generic witch hazel during this process helps a lot.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior Privee, Chanel Exclusif, Creed, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, MOLECULE 01
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Post Thanks / Like

i use wingman wipes..basicly a scented baby wipe type product that is aimed at men..comes in small foil packs you can kkep in your pocked..i also just started using a another product called from some type of hollywood grooming product brand deodorant wipes(thay are unscented)....no matter what my pits smell like hot garbage 2 hours after a shower..plus i run around work all day for 12 hour shifts so i smell rank by the time i go home
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it