Code of Conduct

Default Is Emeraude the greatest oriental frag of all time ?

I was thinking of writing up a post on this subject, after reading LT's take on it in his guide book (he calls it the greatest oriental), but I wanted to wear it a couple more times. However, today I wore Etiquette Bleu for the first time, and soon realized that it is very similar to Emeraude. For those who don't know, the only Emeraude form you are likely to find these days that is "any good" is the Parfum de Toilette version (which is the one I have), and this is the one I'm referring to in this post. Emeraude is a bit softer and vanillic, but otherwise these two frags are nearly identical (and both have a fairly strong animalic note, perhaps "dirty" jasmine). What's interesting is that EB is classified as unisex whereas Emeraude is classified as a "feminine" frag. So, if you like EB but would like it just a bit softer and less "bleu," you might want to look on ebay to see if a PdT bottle is available at a decent price (that's where I got mine).

Is it the greatest oriental of all time, as LT thinks? I can certainly see its appeal, but I can't say I'd place it way ahead of KL Homme, the original Lagerfeld Cologne, or even vintage Tabu, for starters. And if Le Dandy is classified as an oriental, I'd rate it highly too, along with a few others. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Emeraude was the inspiration for Habit Rouge, which goes in a spicy, leathery direction, but starts off quite similar t Emeraude.

Default Re: Is Emeraude the greatest oriental frag of all time ?

I will take Etiquette Bleu and Le Dandy over Emeraude any day. Much better quality IMO.

Have you tried the PdT formulation of Emeraude?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    II wouldn't be surprised if Emeraude was the inspiration for Habit Rouge, which goes in a spicy, leathery direction, but starts off quite similar to Emeraude.
    Emeraude was released in 1921. I was told by Osmotheque staff that Jacques Guerlain admired it so much that it was his primary motivation for creating Shalimar in 1925. Even though Habit Rouge was created 40 years after that I would agree that Emeraude was an influence.

I love Emeraude. I own a small bottle of the perfume from '60s or 70s and have smelled an older version, probably from the '20s or '30s. If Emeraude isn't the greatest Oriental of all time, and it might well be, it is aruguably the most influential. Coty was such a great house back then!

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    If Emeraude isn't the greatest Oriental of all time, and it might well be, it is aruguably the most influential.
    A very good way of putting it.