Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Divine L'homme Sage fans?

Are there any fans of this awesome scent? After seeing it at Luckyscent.com in the "top picks" section, I decided to order a sample of it a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure what to expect, but man...this stuff is really good! Easily a top 10 fragrance! Thing is, after dropping big $$$ on Reflection a few months ago, I vowed not to buy another bottle of cologne until 2012. But I dunno if I'll be able to hold out that long. This is a must have fragrance for me.

Though it's not listed in the notes, from this I get what smells like a faint leather, surrounded by some sweet creamy notes, perhaps sandalwood, and I think the mandarin is noticable as well, amongst other notes. Funny thing is, I have never liked leather scents, but this one to me smells like it definetely has leather in it. The beauty of it lies in all the supporting notes, satisfyingly soft and sweet, making it a delicious smelling fragrance!

Here are the notes: saffron, mandarin, cardamom, lychee, aromatic woods, immortelle (or everlasting flower), patchouli, oak moss, amber, incense

I find it interesting though, that this one gets virtually no discussion on here. Is there something I'm missing? This smells waaaay better than the Musc Ravageurs, Guerlain L'Instants, and La Nuit de L'hommes of the world. Why is this one getting no hype?

Divine L'homme Sage fans, show yourselves!!!

Default Re: Divine L'homme Sage fans?

I was interested in it for a while but got the impression from some reviews that it was a light, dry incense frag...but I see here you're comparing it to MR, L'Instant, and La Nuit...so I'm thinking maybe there's a gourmand quality to it? I really need to order a sample of this. Good to hear you bring it up.

And did you actually think you were going to make it to 2012? I wish I had that kind of restraint. I'm trying to make it to next week these days.

BTW, one of the frags I'm looking into right now is L'Essence de Declaration...I noticed you have it in your wardrobe. Do you think it's worth it? (I don't any of the Declaration line).

The only part I enjoyed about L'homme Sage is the opening. I got a bottle of it from a trade a couple of months ago. I rarely reach for it. I only wore it once. Weeks ago, I have sold my bottle. =)
    Last edited by volley2; 10th June 2011 at 04:06 AM.

I own it , love it !

They had the right idea, but the ever soaring level of grinding synthetic woods make it a perfect example of how not to use synthetic woods/woody ambers. The saffron also doesn't do a lot to make me like it any better.

Surprising considering L'Homme de Coeur exhibits none of those traits, at least not beyond the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    They had the right idea, but the ever soaring level of grinding synthetic woods make it a perfect example of how not to use synthetic woods/woody ambers. The saffron also doesn't do a lot to make me like it any better.

Surprising considering L'Homme de Coeur exhibits none of those traits, at least not beyond the usual.
    I got a couple 1.5 mL factory samples... I liked it at first, but after a few wears I have noticed this. The synthetic base materials are very strong and last forever, eventually it bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I was interested in it for a while but got the impression from some reviews that it was a light, dry incense frag...but I see here you're comparing it to MR, L'Instant, and La Nuit...so I'm thinking maybe there's a gourmand quality to it? I really need to order a sample of this. Good to hear you bring it up.

And did you actually think you were going to make it to 2012? I wish I had that kind of restraint. I'm trying to make it to next week these days.

BTW, one of the frags I'm looking into right now is L'Essence de Declaration...I noticed you have it in your wardrobe. Do you think it's worth it? (I don't any of the Declaration line).
    Buys, amongst the three, it's probably most comparable to MR. Kinda reminds me of YSL L'homme for some reason, moreso than La Nuit. It's better than all of them, however. And yes, it does have a gourmand quality to it. It is a MUST try, and for me, a must buy.
    Declaration L'Essence...see last statement. I wore it today, interestingly enough. It is one of my top two spring/summer fragrances. Do check this one out too. Let me know what you think of both...

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    The only part I enjoyed about L'homme Sage is the opening. I got a bottle of it from a trade a couple of months ago. I rarely reach for it. I only wore it once. Weeks ago, I have sold my bottle. =)
    Volley...*sigh*...I have no words.........

^5 Cmax. Looks like some of the others got bored with it. Interesting. I find it to be rather satisfying...

I finished my bottle about a month ago. It's a great scent and although it's not a sillage monster, it's by no means a "soft incense."
    To me it's a very introspective and evocative fragrance. I wouldn't compare it to MR at all. IMO, it's a softer, more wearable version of Tauer's L'Air (at least the same vibe).
    It starts out fruity and the saffron note is bittersweet. There's some smokey/incense aspects in the heart and the patchouli and the amber are noticeable too.
    Since L'Homme de Coeur came up, in my experience that's the one that is very light with no projection and longevity. Just not my thing, I'm not interested in skin scents but high quality for sure.

It`s fabulous, but unfortunately there are some notes in the late stage of the dry-down that doesn`t sit well on my skin..

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Thanks for putting in words what I couldn't. "They had the right idea". It opens with all the potential in the world for a lovely 'up-standing' scent but then that 'pinched' note comes in I come across in so many overtly 'masculine oriented' fragrances that feels synthetic to me. Close but no cigar for me.

Last edited by Descartes; 5th November 2012 at 08:05 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Divine L'homme Sage fans?

Not only L'HOMME SAGE but also L'╩TRE AIM╔ HOMME. I Own both and i absolutely love them
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

It's a fantastic fragrance. Five stars all the way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    I am addicted to it is a masterpiece,it doesn't get many no discussions on here because most people here post stupid threats.
    Thank you for your very educated and informative response to the thread.

addicting

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I find the smell to be quite good, not perfect, but quite good. My problem is that I get poor longevity out of it...

Thumbs up Re: Divine L'homme Sage fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    I find the smell to be quite good, not perfect, but quite good. My problem is that I get poor longevity out of it...
    What Postumo ??? The longevity of both are fantastic. They last on me all the day e they have also a fantastic projection
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I have a large decant of L'Homme Sage, and that's my experience. Maybe is just an skin issue.
    Don't know, haven't worn it more than 3 times, but my family couldn't smell it after 2-3 hours. Perhaps i need to apply more.

I haven't tried L'homme de couer but plan to do so.

I have this great frag. I wear it at least once a week. Nice

Cheers Rex
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

Keep it coming guys, keep it coming! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Buys, amongst the three, it's probably most comparable to MR. Kinda reminds me of YSL L'homme for some reason, moreso than La Nuit. It's better than all of them, however. And yes, it does have a gourmand quality to it. It is a MUST try, and for me, a must buy.
    Declaration L'Essence...see last statement. I wore it today, interestingly enough. It is one of my top two spring/summer fragrances. Do check this one out too. Let me know what you think of both...

OK, thanks. I got a bottle of L'Essence on the way!..I dont' doubt that it's a great one. Gonna head over to TPC soon and see if they have some samples of the Divine.

A good scent, but no internal tension, no dissonance. Too polished and smooth to stay interesting over the long haul. I want some edges, something quirky, something that leaves me wondering "what is that?!" in a scent that costs as much as L'Homme Sage. There's no mystery to this sage, he'll tell you all he knows. And sadly, he doesn't know *that* much, and thus runs out of things to say after just a few wearings.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

I was really looking forward to trying this one. But unfortunately, I was quite disappointed when I did. It just didn't do anything for me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I am addicted to it is a masterpiece,it doesn't get many no discussions on here because most people here post stupid threats.
    Weird,in all these years I have never been threatened by anyone on this forum

And,about L┤Homme Sage, I like it, it┤s one of Yann Vasniers best.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    A good scent, but no internal tension, no dissonance. Too polished and smooth to stay interesting over the long haul. I want some edges, something quirky, something that leaves me wondering "what is that?!" in a scent that costs as much as L'Homme Sage. There's no mystery to this sage, he'll tell you all he knows. And sadly, he doesn't know *that* much, and thus runs out of things to say after just a few wearings.
    What's quirky about Reflection? This one has made one of the biggest 1st impressions that I've had amongst all my fragrances. But, you don't have to agree. I like what I like, and this one, I like! :-) This one may give our precious Reflection a run for it's money. Note I said MAY. lol

Stupid Threats?
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I have a decant of it and like, but not love it. I do compare it to Tauer LDDM. I wear it once a month, but it is not a "go to" scent at all.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    Stupid Threats?
    Lol! I see he won't be let off the hook any time soon for that typo, lol...

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I have a decant of it and like, but not love it. I do compare it to Tauer LDDM. I wear it once a month, but it is not a "go to" scent at all.
    After Reflection and Gucci Pour Homme 2, I don't know what fragrance I own that I will want to reach for more than this one. And that is putting this above my dear Havana Vanille and Hermessence Ambre Narguile. But I guess those are my more formal fragrances, and I usually only wear them during more formal occassioins. But I can see myself grabbing this for every occassion. It's just that smooth and pleasant. I think it's really good stuff.

Count me in the like it but rarely wear it group. I too like the opening better than the base - the unique qualities fade a bit and becomes a more standard woody-incense base. Not bad, just not something I remain excited about all day.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Gotcha Livejazz...

This thread instantly reminds me of a PM discussion we had about L'Homme Sage a while back Larwiz. I definitely mirror LiveJazz's sentiments. I have owned a bottle of LHS on three difference occasions and have sold it each time for the reason LiveJazz mentioned. I LOVE the top notes but after it settles it becomes extremely boring and pedestrian. The saffron in the drydown also makes my stomach a little queasy. Instead of being a "love it or hate it" fragrance, I would call LHS a "love it or makes me yawn" fragrance. IMO L'Etre Aime Homme makes more of a statement than L'Homme Sage.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Richard James Savile Row, Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Lattafa Ameer Al-Oudh, Acqua di Parma Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke

Last edited by Descartes; 5th November 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Last edited by Descartes; 5th November 2012 at 08:02 AM.

Last edited by Descartes; 5th November 2012 at 08:02 AM.

Last edited by Descartes; 5th November 2012 at 08:01 AM.

Dude, calm down. All I did was respond to the comments from others about your mispelling. I didn't "talk about your grammar misspelling".

I have a sample on the gay.

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    This thread instantly reminds me of a PM discussion we had about L'Homme Sage a while back Larwiz. I definitely mirror LiveJazz's sentiments. I have owned a bottle of LHS on three difference occasions and have sold it each time for the reason LiveJazz mentioned. I LOVE the top notes but after it settles it becomes extremely boring and pedestrian. The saffron in the drydown also makes my stomach a little queasy. Instead of being a "love it or hate it" fragrance, I would call LHS a "love it or makes me yawn" fragrance. IMO L'Etre Aime Homme makes more of a statement than L'Homme Sage.
    I'll have to sample L'Ete. But this one defientely works for me, AS IS. I may have only given it one full wearing though, so perhaps I'll give it another run tommorow and see how that goes. But so far, so good. This is most likely my next purchase. Lol@ you owning this on three different occasions. Indecisive are we? :-)

This didn't cut it for me.

I am glad you are satisfied with the level of inspiration and knowledge on BN forums.
    Don't forget you are actually a member of this community.

I'll have to sample L'Ete. But this one defientely works for me, AS IS. I may have only given it one full wearing though, so perhaps I'll give it another run tommorow and see how that goes. But so far, so good. This is most likely my next purchase. Lol@ you owning this on three different occasions. Indecisive are we? :-)
    I've finally come to the decision that I won't make this same mistake a fourth time LOL! Just kidding man. I'm glad you enjoy it - you can usually catch a discounted bottle on the sales board every now and then.

FAVORITES - Richard James Savile Row, Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Lattafa Ameer Al-Oudh, Acqua di Parma Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke

Lol! Hey, you don't have to like it man. And EVERYBODY doesn't have to like it. Just so long as it does get it's due praise, and it is due SOME modicum of praise and respect. Besides, I've never liked being on something that EVERYONE is on. Like the MR bandwagon...I'll never join. GIT, Encre Noir, etc...
    I'd rather just have a few fellow fans that adore a fragrance. I'll check the sales board for it though, but this one, I want FULL, even though I don't see myself finishing ANY on my fragrances, as many as I have. lol

Don't get me wrong Larwiz - I respect L'Homme Sage (heck, I've purchase it three times!). L'Homme Sage gets a solid amount of discussion and respect in the niche fragrance community and I think Divine is one of the best niche houses. They don't produce a lot of fragrances but everything they have done is quality. I'm glad you were able to experience and fall in love with it.
    Last edited by acjigga; 10th June 2011 at 08:49 PM.

What's quirky about Reflection? This one has made one of the biggest 1st impressions that I've had amongst all my fragrances. But, you don't have to agree. I like what I like, and this one, I like! :-) This one may give our precious Reflection a run for it's money. Note I said MAY. lol
    Now now, don't bring Reflection into this man!

I think L'Homme Sage is a very nice frag and I may not have given it enough credit. Unfortunately, it has something in its base that reminds me of the smell of my father and I don't want to be reminded of him. I still think it's a bit 'too polished', too, but I can see why most would not find such a quality to be a negative (and it sounds like you disagree with my opinion on it being too polished, anyhow, so moot point .)

If you've found another love, that's awesome! That feeling is pretty rare for me these days and I know to cherish it when it hits.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I may have only given it one full wearing though, so perhaps I'll give it another run tommorow and see how that goes. But so far, so good. This is most likely my next purchase.
    I'd recommend trying it several times before making up your mind... the super-strong and long lasting base took a few wearings for me to be annoyed... before that I loved it and wanted to buy it.

I think the base has some components in it that are the same as Guerlain Homme and a bunch of other modern frags.

I think it's marvelous. One of the frags that seems very deep and lush to me, and while there may be a sort of plasticky quality to the myrrh, this doesn't seem particularly synthetic to my nose. Excellent longevity and near-dangerous sillage on me.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    Don't get me wrong Larwiz - I respect L'Homme Sage (heck, I've purchase it three times!). L'Homme Sage gets a solid amount of discussion and respect in the niche fragrance community and I think Divine is one of the best niche houses. They don't produce a lot of fragrances but everything they have done is quality. I'm glad you were able to experience and fall in love with it.
    I hear you AC, and it's all good! That's gotta be a record for number of times someone has acquired/abandoned/and reacquired a fragrance though. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Now now, don't bring Reflection into this man!

I think L'Homme Sage is a very nice frag and I may not have given it enough credit. Unfortunately, it has something in its base that reminds me of the smell of my father and I don't want to be reminded of him. I still think it's a bit 'too polished', too, but I can see why most would not find such a quality to be a negative (and it sounds like you disagree with my opinion on it being too polished, anyhow, so moot point .)

If you've found another love, that's awesome! That feeling is pretty rare for me these days and I know to cherish it when it hits.
    Yo, I literally LAUGHED OUT LOUD at the the "Now now, don't bring Reflection into this man!
    "
    But yes Sculpture, yes I did! lol Honestly man...I am tempted to put this sucka right beside Reflection, and you know I have to LOVE a fragrance to do something like THAT! :-) And you are dead RIGHT man...these days, I'm usually underwhelmed by most fragrances. Everything is just ok or straight disappointing. That's why this was such a unique find, because I really wasn't expecting to like it this much, but when I got my nose on it? WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I'd recommend trying it several times before making up your mind... the super-strong and long lasting base took a few wearings for me to be annoyed... before that I loved it and wanted to buy it.

I think the base has some components in it that are the same as Guerlain Homme and a bunch of other modern frags.
    I applied some on my hand a few hours ago, so I'm at the base now. Smells just fine to me. But I'll be sure to give it a few full wearings before I pull the trigger, but I just can't see this evolving (or should I say DEvolving) into something unpleasant. This is too nice of a fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    I think it's marvelous. One of the frags that seems very deep and lush to me, and while there may be a sort of plasticky quality to the myrrh, this doesn't seem particularly synthetic to my nose. Excellent longevity and near-dangerous sillage on me.
    ^5 man! Good to hear the sillage is good too! Any compliments thus far?

Last edited by Descartes; 5th November 2012 at 08:01 AM.

I hear you AC, and it's all good! That's gotta be a record for number of times someone has acquired/abandoned/and reacquired a fragrance though. ;-)
    Yeah, I know! Sad isn't it? I'm such a classic Libra...

I like it a lot. It's been on my wish list for some time now. I'm sure I'll end up buying a bottle before too long. Actually, all three of Yann's masculine offerings have been. My wife bought me Eau de Polder for my birthday - how I wish I could have a few birthdays a year!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I like it- thumbs up from me. The sillage and longevity meet my approval. It serves a unique purpose in my core rotation- it is unlike the others. I have no technical problems with it- things are fine to my modest nose and frag brain. OK- now for the specific comment: the opening saffron note is more like an opening (and beyond) bomb! I wish they used a third of that saffron power. I feel like I am aswim in whatever makes bandaids smell like bandaids.

2 things I dislike: The packing is actually the cheapest soft cardboard ever and either you buy the refillable spray or you must stick with the splash bottle, which is awkward. Client service is one of the best I have ever encounter and they are generous giving free samplers.
    Whoah! It comes in a splash bottle? Wow! That sucks! Well, I guess I'll just have to make due...
    And I'm sure I can get past the cardboard packing, especially once I get to that beautiful juice! :-)

Jr, I'm glad you like it! Why haven't you gotten around to purchasing it yet? AdamOhio, you get bandaids from this? Lol Interesting...

2 things I dislike: The packing is actually the cheapest soft cardboard ever and either you buy the refillable spray or you must stick with the splash bottle, which is awkward. Client service is one of the best I have ever encounter and they are generous giving free samplers.
    I had been meaning to ask about the splash bottle, and now seems as good a time as any:

Are their scents, including L'Homme Sage, better sprayed or dabbed?

I emailed Divine about this, about whether Monsieur Mouchel intended that the perfumes be dabbed like extraits rather than sprayed like EdTs, but I think they misunderstood my question (probably my fault) and ended up only confirming that the 50 mL, 100 mL, and 150 mL bottles are all splash, with the option of a 50 mL refillable spray bottle, which looks rather non-descript in comparison to the beautiful glass bottles.

They also said that the 50 mL refillable spray bottle could be refilled by dumping the contents of a splash bottle into the spray bottle. Though I have never attempted to refill a "rechargeable" atomizer before, their response struck me as an odd way of phrasing that, somehow. Dunno why but I guess I just assumed you could purchase a discounted refill bottle or maybe bring them around the shop for filling?

And I definitely agree about the customer service; the Divine folks seem like such nice people. I genuinely hope I end up loving at least one of my samples, if only for the excuse to buy something from them.