Code of Conduct

Default Similarities between Polo Crest and Red for Men by Giorgio of Beverly Hills?

My second wearing of Polo Crest produced this impression, which includes the wood in the drydown that has a pine element. Both are rather herbal and have a syrupy sweetness as well. Reading about how Chevignon is very similar to PC, I was surprised that nobody has mentioned these two as having similarities. Anyone who has worn both PC and Red care to comment?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th June 2011 at 04:47 AM.

Default Re: Similarities between Polo Crest and Red for Men by Giogio of Beverley Hills?

I don't find the likeness

Default Re: Similarities between Polo Crest and Red for Men by Giogio of Beverley Hills?

Nor do I.

Me Neither.

Okay, I'll have to do a side-by-side test one of these days.

Not me, having compared them hand - to - hand.

Fragrantica.com has these notes for the two:

Notes for Polo Crest: rosemary, artemisia, caraway, juniper berries, basil and bergamot; middle notes are carnation, jasmine, caraway, rose, pine tree needles and geranium; base notes are leather, amber, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Notes for Red: artemisia, basil, bergamot and caraway; middle notes are carnation, jasmine, geranium, juniper berries, rose and thyme; base notes are amber, leather, cedar, oakmoss and patchouli.

However, I remember reading that Red had a new sequoia note that was pine-like in some ways. And though PC has musk listed, it's not an especially musky frag (and don't all "modern" designer frags have some musk in them?).

EDIT: I found listings that claim Red has "Redwood sequoia" in it, to be specific.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 11th June 2011 at 04:34 AM.

I can distinguish remarkable pine-tree or pine-needle notes in the top notes that I cannot find in P's Crest. I will report back as soon as I can.

Default Re: Similarities between Polo Crest and Red for Men by Giorgio of Beverly Hills?

Okay, I did a dab/wrist sampling of Red tonight. I don't know if I have the old or new version, or if it matters. The basil is stronger in PC, and I'd say PC has more note separation and may be a bit more natural smelling. Therefore, I wouldn't call them "smell-a-likes." However, I do think the general idea is the same, and the notes are just about the same too, it seems. The other important thing is that neither has a dominant note that the other doesn't have, other than perhaps stronger basil in PC, which doesn't persist for more than an hour or so. Too bad we don't know if they were created by the same perfumer (both were introduced in the same year).

Default Re: Similarities between Polo Crest and Red for Men by Giorgio of Beverly Hills?

You can bet that the redwood sequoia note is nothing of the sort. But it sounds good.

I haven't smelled Polo Crest in awhile, but I remember it smelled like at least 40% of the composition was made of dihydromyrcenol. Red for Men is the same but the dihydro is a little more camouflaged. As bad as the reviews are, I actually get some satisfaction from Red for Men every couple of months or so (I usually just spray it in the air hoping that it will be better). The same was never true of Polo Crest. I do remember it having a pseudo coniferous quality of sorts, but it wasn't anything I wanted any part of.

One thing's for sure - both of them are big, dry, loud fougeres that I don't feel the need to own, although I kind of like having the Red for Men around. At least the name fits the juice's temperament.
    Last edited by pluran; 11th June 2011 at 09:33 AM.