Code of Conduct

Default Caswell Massey's Jockey Club

Is the cologne or the after-shave strength recommended?
    Which is more "classic"?
    Last edited by neal; 10th June 2011 at 06:15 PM.

Default Re: Caswell Massey's Jockey Club

bump.
    bueller...anyone, anyone?

bump.

bueller... anyone, anyone?

It's really a matter of what you want. An aftershave will last little or no time, the cologne will probably last you a couple of hours.

cacio

I have it as a reference of what a talcum - powder - barbershop - scent is, but I imagine it not having the super strength and longevity of modern-day fragrances.

I like the aftershave best - it lasts all day, and smells fantastic!
    The cologne is also good, but seems a little spicier and not as powdery to me - also lasts all day.
    The talc is kinda weird. It smells like Jockey Club at first, but takes on this strange grape-flavoring/mountain laurel smell.
    The soap is of course good quality, but is not a pure Jockey Club scent. Very nice though!

IMHO, there are many points in common between this one and Royal Copenhaguen's EdT. I also find some similarities between these and Stetson and - sorry orthodox perfmistas - Amouage Gold.

Of course, you are entitled to say that my nose fails miserably at identifying smells, maybe a sympton of a strange neurological deformative congenital disease.

I whole heartedly agree about the similarities to Amouage Gold (Man). Not as strong or skanky, but very similar to my nose!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I whole heartedly agree about the similarities to Amouage Gold (Man). Not as strong or skanky, but very similar to my nose!
    (Don't say it too loud, we might be lynched...)

One scent that is now long forgotten that reminds me very much of Amouage Gold Man--which of course is quite peerless in it's genre--is "The Baron" By Evyan. I'm sure that if this is still available to buy it must now be different, but in it's day, it was quite the statement: A *truly* daring rose/musk scent that I imagine Liberace would have worn. I find that Jockey Club is very refined and a lovely scent--the soaps are superb--I wish the bottled fragrance smelled more like the soaps.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    ... "The Baron" By Evyan. I'm sure that if this is still available to buy it must now be different, but in it's day, it was quite the statement: A *truly* daring rose/musk scent that I imagine Liberace would have worn...
    Being almost 50 years old, only two times in my life I had the feeling that the perfume I was wearing was, for sure, not for me, rather for women: when I tried Van Cleef & Arpels, given as a present by my Parents from a trip overseas sometime during the early 1980's and when I tried the Baron, a blind buy from an on-line perfume store in the USA.

I did not have the same feeling with CM's Jockey Club. Le Mouchoir, thanks for your suggestion on CM's soaps. Would you have more suggestions on CM's offerings?

Sad news - Jockey Club is being reformulated.

I emailed CM after seeing that Jockey Club was no longer available on their website. They've responded:
    "...The Jockey Club is being reformulated due to government regulations. We are aiming for it to smell as close to the original as possible."

Damn.

You really can't go wrong at Caswell-Massey. Don't expect expensive bottles and smooth moving style statements from this company, which was for generations family owned, or had been of unchanged ownership for generations, until recently: It is the oldest company in the united states still doing business. It was a tragedy when CM decided to shutter it's boutique division: They always had Knize Ten--I even got Knize ten talc and shaving soap there once. All of the scents are top-notch. They are "particular" though. I love, for instance the famous "wood grain" Sandal wood soaps--there's something to be said bout brown soap--but i detest the c and af
    Love Number Six but loathe Tricorn. They were a typical chemist's that did bespoke scents for people, as was done in the day. They are sitting on a gold mine of archival recipes. They did a relaunch of some archive scents about 15 years ago and there was one called "Lord Ashley Cooper" that was so perfect I bout the entire stock--phoned every boutique--and MO'd my way into a stash of 83 bottles: I'm now down the three and change--and I wore through them: This "cologne" made my ultimate dream come true of wearing Jicky, but wearing shalimar, at the same time. (No other way to pronounce on it) I once sent a decant to a BN friend and he raved so hard over it, scoured the earth, and could never find a bottle. They do a fantastic lavender soliflore, a la yardley english lavender: very dry norfolk lavender, not remotely french, and a standard fougere-chypre for men called "green bryer" that is the very essence of life on campus at Harvard in the 80's. They also do a nautical scent called newport which is very summer VK on Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. Their women's bouquets and most of their comps achieve what the soaps do in their perfect-pitch balance of English and French taste: Being neither, they marry the two, and the perfectly bred child that results is Caswell-Massey. The French go wild for it: To this day when I go to France i have scores of people waiting for me to bring them their their box of soap. Thomas Jefferson took Versailles down with it--had all the Court eating out of his hands--there is lore that Queen Marie-Antoinette coveted Caswell-Massey products with such a passion that a black market was put in place specifically for the Court to smuggle items in bulk into Versailles through boat shipments of bostonian provenance. There is one thing you must know about Caswell-Massey: If you are bottle/presentation driven, you should avoid it. It's all product--zero fanfare. It's a shame Jockey Club is doing a reform. I imagine it's due to JC's high strength of musks and moss. Jockey Club has always been my favourite CM scent, though I don't wear it much, I love using the soaps.

@POLLUX: You can feel confident blind buying CM if you study the comps and isolate ones you might fancy: They are all nice--even Tricorn, which is daring and original but still would smell appropriate on a real texas cowboy. The only c + af I have ever blind bought and hated is their sandalwood. Number Six, for instance, George Wasshington's scent, is as refined, if not more, than any Guerlain of this "Bigarade" style--and--unlike guerlain, which has no longevity at all, being american, they pack that "made in usa" puch--with longevity and sillage that are to be reckoned with. Personally, I much prefer the antique comps from the XVIIIe & IXXe centuries--If JC is being reformulated I guess fewer people might be able to do the "Camelot" experiment: Wear vintage Jicky on one wist, and JC c on the other: Here we have the scent trail of JFK and Jacqueline Kennedy walking by, as these were their two scents, both worn for most of their adult lives.
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 13th August 2012 at 04:30 PM.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    ... There is one thing you must know about Caswell-Massey: If you are bottle/presentation driven, you should avoid it. It's all product--zero fanfare. It's a shame Jockey Club is doing a reform. I imagine it's due to JC's high strength of musks and moss...
    Merci Monsieur!

I bought it while on a trip to Fort Worth after careful research of a store that would carry their offerings. Since I was toured by a friend of mine with back problems, it was not the proper occasion for a visit to the store with research in mind, so I blind bought JC. Thinking about something to buy for my wife, I tried their Gardenia and the Verbena. I found the last one amazingly good, still, since my Wife loves Gardenia - based scents, I chose that one.

As to CM's presentations, that is precisely something I really appreciate. I have the impression, being a Marketing professional, that many niche offerings are the object of praise because of the packaging and the sales arguments behind them. If there is something I appreciate from CW is their low profile. In an era where vulgarity overshadows luxury, I regard this House as a very valuable one. After all, luxury might as well be a matter of attitude rather than something related to the way consumers manage disposable income with the intention in mind to show off.

Sorry, I digressed...

If anyone is interested -

While currently not listed on the website, JC is still available by calling CM directly. Limited quantities still available.

Jockey Club reminds me a bit of Nuit de Noel. Spicy florals on a deep moss-musk base. It's great stuff.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Sad news - Jockey Club is being reformulated.

I emailed CM after seeing that Jockey Club was no longer available on their website. They've responded:
    "...The Jockey Club is being reformulated due to government regulations. We are aiming for it to smell as close to the original as possible."

Damn.
    What "government regulations" are they talking about? I haven't heard about any new FDA regulations on fragrances in the US. Is Caswell-Massey now trying to adhere to the EU regulations? If so, that's really a shame.