Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has a fragrance ever literally made you nauseous?

Tonight, before I went to bed, I sprayed some Creed Royal English Leather to enjoy the smell as I went to sleep. I sprayed each palm, then rubbed them together to heat it up and get the smell going which is what I normally do with my REL.

Problem was, for whatever reason (and I may not have been feeling well), it made me literally nauseous. Like "keep a bucket by you" nauseous. I covered my hands to avoid the smell, but periodically smelled my palm again to see if it was really the REL, and every time I smelled it the nauseous feelings got worse. After two hours of this I got up and washed my hands, and now I'm up late writing on here.

Any way, it got me thinking. What if a fragrance (even one that you like) literally causes nauseousness in you or another person? Talk about the wrong effect. Has that happened to anyone, either from your own fragrance or another person's fragrance?

P.S. I was never sure why I got a flaccon of REL. I like it, but it's too risky to wear anywhere. I wish I had gotten Acier Aluminum instead. I only have a 10ML decant of that.

Default Re: Has a fragrance ever literally made you nauseous?

Black XS was the closest. I tried to wash the one spray off and got it to the point where I didn't actually vomit. My sensitivity was probably high then.

I can understand the reaction to REL to me it smelled like womens hand cream and was to pungent. The only fragrance where I actually threw up after spraying it onto my skin was Angel Men.

Gaultier2 gave me severe migraines and vomiting to the extent that I was severely ill the morning after I sprayed it on. I even missed an Anatomy and Physiology exam, but luckily the professor let me take it the next day.

Gucci by Gucci Sport! its a wicked, evil concoction made for chemical warfare by satan himself.... at least to my nose ! If people spray this into the air in fragrance shops, Im so outta there....

nope but some make me sneeze

No I am a grown up man!

Sur la Plage

No.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yes,two fragrances made and make me nauseous immediately when I spray them.The names of those sickmakers;Issey Myake and Lanvin Oxygene.I think they share a note I can't handle.Tried the Issey a few times because so many people adore it.I stay away from those two,far away!

Yes, Chypre Rouge made me feel physically nauseous, though not to the point of throwing up -- there must be some ingredient in there that doesn't agree with me.

Gucci Pour Homme and it's son Dirty English...awful.

I don't think any perfume can make you throw up. It obviously can give you headaches.

Basenotes Plus

Like many people there are a handful of frags that my nose finds to be somewhat offensive but nausea is something I have never experienced.

fountain

yes. gaultier classique, and a*men did.

No, although when juice has gone bad the smell can be extremely unpleasant.

A testing paper of Odeur 71 made me dizzy for 10 minutes and nauseous for 3~6 hours.

Mustang-cologne spray

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    P.S. I was never sure why I got a flacon of REL. I like it, but it's too risky to wear anywhere.
    I've barely tested it, but it seems similar enough to the equally full-bodied Habanita that the one could be worn nearly anywhere/anywhen the other would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    Any way, it got me thinking. What if a fragrance (even one that you like) literally causes nauseousness in you or another person? Talk about the wrong effect. Has that happened to anyone, either from your own fragrance or another person's fragrance?
    Iris Silver Mist's carroty sweet open was a bit rough on my stomach yesterday, but I think anything smelling sweet would have done the same. After lunch and for the rest of the day/evening, the sillage was everything people rave about regarding ISM.

Only one. The nauseating Grey Flannel
    Remember when life gives you lemons make lemonade, also find someone whose life gave them vodka. Have a party!

There was / is a perfume named 'poison'. On some women it smelt great. On others is smelt like pee. Now that WAS nauseating

Not nauseous but given me a migraine. Serge Lutens Gris Clair............ haven't went near it since.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

I was feeling adventurous about 3 weeks ago and received a decant of secretions magnifiques, among other things. I put it on......let me tell you, it was all I could do not to puke. I HAVE A REALLY STRONG STOMACH, and it is no secret on here that I LIKE "bad" smells, BO (depending), extreme musk, whatever. However, this was a lethal combination of wet dog, semen, and the smell that happens after a sever wound has stopped bleeding and is trying to scab over. Sorry to be so graphic, but that's my truth. Anyway, I have to hand it to ELdO for the frag because it is very.....er......artistic.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

When I got a full spray of Tobacco Vanille from a Tom Ford SA, and on the way back home in a black cab I had to open the window as it was just so dense, making me feel extremely nauseous. Couldn't scrub it off either when I got back home. Mind you, that was around this Christmas time so no weather to blame.
    The other one would be Secretions Magnifiques, but that's just comme il faut, really.

Quote Originally Posted by les*lucioles View Post
    When I got a full spray of Tobacco Vanille from a Tom Ford SA, and on the way back home in a black cab I had to open the window as it was just so dense, making me feel extremely nauseous. Couldn't scrub it off either when I got back home. Mind you, that was around this Christmas time so no weather to blame.
    The other one would be Secretions Magnifiques, but that's just comme il faut, really.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. We posted about secretions at EXACTLY the same time. !!!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I had a really bad experience with Ralph Lauren's Chaps. Till now, I cannot understand why, but to me this cologne is so repulsive that it is like a repellent to me. It was a blind buy and I really vomited after spraying it in my pulse. There wasn't any problem with the cologne really because others loved it, but to me, no chance. I tryed yet some other times, but, despite not vomiting again, it made me feel nauseous. This is the most strange case I can recall about a fragrance.

M/Mink. I can't litterally stand the honey/incense combo. While I love incense I'm kind of idiosyncratic to this weird combo.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

To date, only one: YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Not to knock this highly regarded fragrance or anything but there is something in it that stimulates my gag reflex.

Blog Entries

Some can give me such a bad sinus headache that i start to get dizzy and woozy. But just flat out nausea? Nope

Bond No 9. Silver Factory
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    To date, only one: YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme. Not to knock this highly regarded fragrance or anything but there is something in it that stimulates my gag reflex.
    Similar reason why I sold mine on. I loved it but it didn't agree with me.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Ungaro III, I put just a bit too much on and that morbid floral top note absolutely made me sick

Yes.
    YSL Paris (I think it was because of the rosewood note in the composition. The fragrance is indeed romantic but the whole thing smells a lot like a room spray to me)
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Chanel Egoiste

But nonetheless, if I try any of those above when I'm in good health, then I'll be fine.
    How does sunshine smell like?

Edited: Sorry for double posts!
    How does sunshine smell like?

one man show
    so i used it to clean and sterlize my chair at school when there was swine flu lol

Not nauseous, but when I was about 6-7 years old, both male and female fragrances gave me repeated severe migraine, pity I cannot remember which actual scents made my head ache

Angel for Men did it for me.

No. However, there may have been an instance where I wasn't feeling well and the fragrance made it worse. I don't blame the fragrance for that.

only one to make me feel physically nauseous is secretions magnifique (smells like copper coins and raw eggs)

No, not at all. I have been slightly shocked, but never wanted to gag or anything similar. Only putrid smells do that to me, and no perfume has EVER done that to me. Not even the aforementioned Secretions Magnifiques, and certainly no sweet fragrance at all. The beautiful Bois Farine does smell like a oatmeals gone bad to ME (sorry!) but even that one doesn't make me gag (smells good, but I associate it to something else.)

I am always surprised at people who "gag" at sweet (or other kinds, for that matter) perfumes, I wonder if it's mentally induced (a bias), or a real allergy. I do advice that before paying attention to any review that states "It's nauseating"!, SMELL IT FIRST! Some reviewers are too sensitive and/or prejudiced against certain good scents out there.

Guerlain Homme Intense kinda gave me that hot, bubbly stomach feeling for a little while, but doesn't anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME1996 View Post
    one man show
    so i used it to clean and sterlize my chair at school when there was swine flu lol
    Yeah this one made me feel bad as well, the top notes are extremely unpleasant. I don't think I could handle a one man show scented chair.

Yes, Aramis.

Whilst I may have been somewhat under the weather at that time, a scent I had really been looking forward to, Lagerfeld Classic, made me feel quite nauseous - I had to wash it off whilst trying simultaneously to control a gag refelex.

Could never inflict it on my nostrils again!

Whilst I may have been somewhat under the weather at that time, a scent I had really been looking forward to, Lagerfeld Classic, made me feel quite nauseous - I had to wash it off whilst trying simultaneously to control a gag refelex.

Could never inflict it on my nostrils again!

Twice I've tried Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Him -- both times I got the sick feeling in the stomach.

Clive Christian X--couldn't wait to shower it off.

Martin

Two have.

A*Men

And surprisingly Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford. I like vanilla and I like tobacco, but this has to be the most nauseating combination of the two I have ever encountered. It was a scrubber of the first order, I was in Selfridges at the time and after ten minutes I realised it was starting to make me feel decidedly queasy so had to find the men's room to wash it off. It was several hours and several washings before it finally went.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Basenotes Plus

Halston
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Diesel Fuel For Life turns my stomach.

Banned

I cannot remember one. Worse a fragrance has given me is a headache, not even a rash. (not to belittle headaches...)

Never and I've never gotten a headache from one either.

ANY Gaultier fragrance....ANY Dolce and Gabbana fragrance....and ANY fragrance with the predominant note of MUSK!!!!! YUCK!!!!!

There are a lot of perfumes I dislike but the only one to really really nauseate me was A*Men.

for swap/sale:

Une Crime Exotique's drydown, for some reason that still eludes me.

Body Kouros almost made me vomit and I am not exaggerating. Worst fragrance experience I had so far.

Bogart Pour Homme

You've got to have a pretty weak stomach to actually vomit at the smell of perfume.

Just waft it away... you don't have to throw up!

Beyond Paradise... migraines and a bubbling stomach. Other than that, sadly some of the board's favorites hit me way wrong.

Fumidus by Profumum. Awful. Just... Smoldering wet grass, the inside of a dirty charcoal grill, spilled barbeque sauce. And as is so often the case, it has amazing sillage and longevity. After the nuclear apocalypse, when the earth has been inherited by the cockroaches, south winds will still blow whiffs of Fumidus across the continent from a leaking vial in Minnesota.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    M/Mink. I can't litterally stand the honey/incense combo. While I love incense I'm kind of idiosyncratic to this weird combo.
    I can see this. Incense notes make me queasy...iris or violet AND incense is the worst. The opening of Fracas reminds me of Robitussin, and makes me nauseous sometimes, other times no.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.