Code of Conduct

Default The most authentic coffee fragrance?

Having done a search, I cannot see that this question has been asked in this way before. To me, coffee is an inviting, comforting aroma (why I assume many still brew a fresh pot when trying to sell their house), something that brings people together socially as an excuse for friendly conversation, but I am yet to find a really good authentic coffee fragrance.

Here's what I have (coffee-wise) at my disposal:
    New Haarlem (really like this one, but I get a subtle coffee here; more the smell of a high-end coffee house, serving waffles/pancakes with maple syrup)
    Pure Coffee (Despite the name, I find the coffee to be short-lived and very tame, I do like it though)
    Taste of Fragrance (Need to wear this one more for a better impression, but the initial chilli blast is a bit over-powering to my nose and reminds me of an Eastern spice shop)
    Rochas Man (Don't get much coffee here at all)
    Rochas Man Intense (Vanilla Ice-Cream)
    Endymion (Nice fragrance but again, the coffee note is subdued)

So, in your opinions, what would you class as the most authentic coffee fragrance currently on the market. I think I might be looking for a freshly brewed coffee/espresso smell, rather than coffee with added milk/cream and sugar.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Default Re: The most authentic coffee fragrance

You may want to try Bell'Antionio.

Default Re: The most authentic coffee fragrance

So far, none of the coffee scent I have tried included credible coffee notes.

Default Re: The most authentic coffee fragrance?

Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe
    Ava Lux Cafe Noire

If you don't find it at this cafe offering, it ain't out there.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe
    Ava Lux Cafe Noire

If you don't find it at this cafe offering, it ain't out there.
    I agree on Cafe Noire. And if you want a fragrance with a cappuccino feel, try Vanille Mokha by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Ava Lux Cafe Noire
    This one ^^^^^.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    This one ^^^^^.
    Thanks guys, I'll hunt this one down.

Update: Just ordered from Ava Luxe site.
    Last edited by Fraghead; 15th July 2012 at 01:20 PM.

MPG Eau de Iles is all coffee and woods
    DSH Care Noir
    DONNA

This is a subject I'm very interested in too. My favourite of the ones I've tried is Pure Coffee, however my experience is fairly limited and my searches will continue!

Basenotes Plus

L'Artisans L'eau du Navigateur has a nice coffee note, more bitter than sweet, and I believe one of the first fragrances with a coffee note. I love it.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Pure Coffee actually smells like coffee to me, while the others people usually list don't (New Haarlem...)

Not grounded/roasted coffee but a nice combo that makes you think of coffee smell:

Trussardi Inside (fresh coffee beans with basil and some minty feeling)
    D&D By Woman (strong coffee smell with some sweet flowers added, I layer a bit sometimes with others)
    Armani Attitude Extreme (had it as a gift, but gave it away-too much anise & sweet lemony for my taste)
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Nothing I've smelled actually smells like coffee either. I love honest, black coffee, and no fragrance has given me much of that. I love New Haarlem, A*Men, TOF, Pure Coffee etc, but these aren't very authentic coffee notes. There is a bit of a dry, ground coffee bean note in Taste of Fragrance after the chili settles.

Looking forward to trying the Ava Luxe and Jo Malone to see if either captures the essence of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Pure Coffee actually smells like coffee to me, while the others people usually list don't (New Haarlem...)
    I agree on both of these.

Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Vanille Mokha

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus View Post
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique's Vanille Mokha
    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    MPG Eau de Iles is all coffee and woods
    DSH Care Noir
    These and I'll add Santal Noble

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I agree with those who said that Ave Luxe Cafe Noire smells literally the most like coffee, but I personally much prefer some of the others that have been mentioned - MPG Eau des Isles, L'Artisan L'eau du Navegateur, Trussardi Inside.

I second Black Vetyver Cafe'. It lasts like 1.5 hours on me though.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Coze by Parfumerie Generale is a wonderful fragrance and has a coffee note

I get absolutely no coffee in New Haarlem. All I get from that is maple syrup.

The best coffee fragrance that comes to mind is Pure Coffee. Second best would be A*Men Taste of Fragrance (I get chili + coffee).

Pure Coffee

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

+3 L'Artisan L'Eau du Navegateur. The spicy coffee aroma does not let up throughout its amazing longevity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

You could try Bond no.9 I <3 NY for all, its not an authentic coffee frag so to say, but smells like fresh vanilla hazelnut coffee with a lot of milk.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Realize that coffee by itself wouldn't make for a very interesting fragrance, people would just be like "oh he smells like coffee", it's the blend of the coffee, the vanilla and the lavender that make the scent of New Haarlem so great. I don't know why you'd want to just smell like coffee, but if you really want to, brew a thick coffee, mix equal parts with pure vodka and voila, home made "pure coffee" scent, but why would you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Realize that coffee by itself wouldn't make for a very interesting fragrance, people would just be like "oh he smells like coffee", it's the blend of the coffee, the vanilla and the lavender that make the scent of New Haarlem so great. I don't know why you'd want to just smell like coffee, but if you really want to, brew a thick coffee, mix equal parts with pure vodka and voila, home made "pure coffee" scent, but why would you want it?
    The same reason that people who like DHI want to smell like a make-up bag, why people who like Millesime Imperiale want to smell like a watermelon, the reason that people who like Orange Sanguine want to smell like an orange (I include myself in all of these examples by the way) It comes down to personal taste. If you don't realise that fragrance and preferences are subjective then you have a lot to learn. Don't knock the preferences of others.

May I draw your attention to a thread started by yourself about wanting to smell like a "new book" and quite rightly, no one mocks you for this.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/303...t=#post2594270

It seems that this unhelpful, supercilious attitude appears in a number of your posts. In the thread 'Final thoughts on Kouros', you write:

"Smells of body odour and patchouuli, god who would wear this without embarrassment?"

To say that you don't like a fragrance (and the reasons why/how it comes across to your nose) is fine, but to add "who would wear this without embarrassment?" is potentially insulting to many people who love and proudly wear Kouros.

My point: don't reply to threads unless you have something useful to add.
    Last edited by Fraghead; 16th July 2012 at 12:03 AM.

Pure Coffee.

I also understand wanting to smell like one particular scent. I am interested in a pure, freshly roasted coffee smell myself. I've also had this same discussion while hunting a spearmint gum type fragrance. (yes, I would like to smell like sweet spearmint gum, without vetiver, thyme, tarragon, tea, patchouli, etc. mixed in). So I completely agree with Fraghead about desiring a certain realistic fragrance (without the "artistic" notes added to make it a "true perfume", per se). I guess that's why I have great admiration for companies like Demeter and CB I Hate Perfume. I know some view these companies as novelties, but I actually enjoy wearing these realistic, true to life scents as daily perfumes.

Anyway, as far as coffee goes, I agree with much of what's been said about the popular coffee scents. I get a bit more coffee in Pure Coffee and Trussardi Inside Man than in the others. To me New Haarlem and Rochas have no coffee notes at all in a realistic sense. (New Haarlem smells like maple syrup and pancakes on a woody base and Roxhas smells like lavender and vanilla/cocoa). I don't find them bad, just not particularly related to coffee. (unless we're talking about a latte with tons of toffee nut or vanilla syrup and cream with very little espresso). I haven't yet tried the Jo Malone & Ava Luxe scents, but I have a feeling they are more in line with what I'm looking for in a coffee scent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    I also understand wanting to smell like one particular scent. I am interested in a pure, freshly roasted coffee smell myself. I've also had this same discussion while hunting a spearmint gum type fragrance. (yes, I would like to smell like sweet spearmint gum, without vetiver, thyme, tarragon, tea, patchouli, etc. mixed in). So I completely agree with Fraghead about desiring a certain realistic fragrance (without the "artistic" notes added to make it a "true perfume", per se). I guess that's why I have great admiration for companies like Demeter and CB I Hate Perfume. I know some view these companies as novelties, but I actually enjoy wearing these realistic, true to life scents as daily perfumes.

Anyway, as far as coffee goes, I agree with much of what's been said about the popular coffee scents. I get a bit more coffee in Pure Coffee and Trussardi Inside Man than in the others. To me New Haarlem and Rochas have no coffee notes at all in a realistic sense. (New Haarlem smells like maple syrup and pancakes on a woody base and Roxhas smells like lavender and vanilla/cocoa). I don't find them bad, just not particularly related to coffee. (unless we're talking about a latte with tons of toffee nut or vanilla syrup and cream with very little espresso). I haven't yet tried the Jo Malone & Ava Luxe scents, but I have a feeling they are more in line with what I'm looking for in a coffee scent as well.
    I'll report back on Ava Luxe's offering when it arrives Brian. I'm hoping it will be what I'm looking for; I agree about your feelings towards Demeter. I wear fragrance for myself, often to make me feel a certain way (fragrance is art after all) so to have a realistic/specific note at the fore is quite important to me sometimes.