Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD: Friday, 17th June, 2011

Yippee! It's Friday:

Mazzolari: Patchouly

Default Re: SotD: Friday, 17th June, 2011

How I love this stuff.... tell me, what is it about the aviation theme that I love these fragrances (Vol de Nuit, En Avion) so much?
    Have a great day!

I've recently fallen for Guerlain Homme. This is the EdT. Thierry Wasser didn't put fresh notes in the top only, but built all three drydown layers around a commonality of freshness. First, an aromatic-alcoholic-fresh layer, a very lifelike, almost drinkable imitation of the invigorating Mojito harmony (mint, lime, rum notes). Second, a floral-bitter-fresh layer, an unusual scent of rosy geranium, rhubarb and tannic green tea. And third, a dry-warm-fresh layer of cedarwood, patchouli, sugar cane and vetiver (the latter as "a nod to Jean-Paul Guerlain and his first-ever perfume, Vetiver," Thierry Wasser explained). The result is pure understated elegance. Its greenness has an exceptional character that Thierry Wasser himself boldly described as "inimitable", a dewy, fluid chlorophyllous sensation of growing plants and tropical rainforest, irresistible for its mellowness and lushness and alliance with Guerlain's sweet smile, and soon becoming Wasser's distinctive olfactory mark chez Guerlain. The Eau de Parfum version, also labelled "Intense", has, yes, much intenser wood notes, which brings out a wonderful salty tension of vetiver and cedar through the drydown (with an evident nod to Jean-Paul Guerlain's Vetiver, as promised) but also tends to overshadow the dewy and gentle Mojito accord that makes the original so delightful up top.

Hello all. Helmut Lang edp.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all. Todays synch is devoted to neglected scents I believe.
    Going with the vastly underrated and supremely elegant Creed Baie de Genievre (and loudly echoing Gandhajala's yippee !).

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 17th June 2011 at 10:21 AM.

I too am glad to have made it to Friday this week.

Air Conditioner broke at home and the ceiling was dripping in one place and had to be poked to let water out, yuck.
    So it's Hot Hot Hot, about 95F both in and out of the house. Cold showers and fans are the M.O. for now.
    Hopefully DH gets the AC taken care of today, will deal with the ceiling later. AARGH. Well everyone is healthy, better a broken house than broken people.

Happiest smell I know - Jailia - today! It does help. And is one that holds up in the hot. ALso my package of Mure Et Musc and Datura Blanche is to arrive today, yay

Thumbs up Re: SotD: Friday, 17th June, 2011

Mathilde Laurent's

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

Robin-in-FL, 95 degrees, yikes! I hope you get your AC back!

In sync this morning, with one of my favorites, but a very overlooked fragrance, Guerlain Idylle.
    Top notes: Bulgarian Rose, Raspberry Note, Litchi Note, Freesia
    Middle notes: Rose, Peony, Lilac, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley
    Base notes: White musk, Patchouli

Shalimar Parfum Vintage

Can, please, someone take me away from the heaven?? Im fliying and smiling, and i know the reason!

Basenotes Plus

Robin I hope the A/C gets up and running for you as soon as possible and that you'll stay as comfortable as you can in the meantime.

Testing Farmacia SS Annunziata Fiore di Riso today. Not very floral to me, it's fluffy and somewhat powdery. If you like Chanel Allure and/or Kenzo Amour, as I do, you'd enjoy this one too.

Notes include white flowers, ginger, vanilla, sandalwood, oakmoss, tonka bean, benzoin.

Happy Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Let me join everybody too: Robin, hope it gets fixed soon. In the meantime, try refrigerated wet wash-cloths on the back of your neck, and lots of water/weak tea to drink. Sorry to hear that.

RHM, praying you and Ms.Ma'am are doing all right.

Yves Rocher Cantate from a wonderful BNer for the neglected scent of the morning. Not really a summer scent, but I am planning to stay indoors most of the day with a short run to the post-office as early as they open.

Mr. G, what a great review this morning! That sounds like a great scent.

I'm sampling some vintage L'Aimant cologne mist spray this morning. I thought it must be totally shot (as in no longer swimming, Twolf! ), but the fustiness has blown off and there is a gentle, creamy drydown. This must have been very nice in the day. It's a little bit hair spray'ish. People say it smells like No. 5, but I think more like No. 22 without the incense.

I haven't showered or dressed yet so I don't know what underrated scent I'll wear for SSF.

Good morning everyone Today is slightly cooler and greyer than it has been the last few days. Still ok temperatures,though. my sotd choice wasn't easy...Seems I've been ignoring huge parts of my wardrobe lately...Makes you think if I really need my whole wardrobe. However I can't stand the thought of getting rid of any of my scents. Tdem pointed me in the right direction today, so my sotd will be Allure. This used to be one of my favourites before BN!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm in synch with the neglected
    Dune pour Homme
    de Christian Dior.

FRIDAY!!! Finally.
    I'm being brave, and applying an unsniffed sample for work today - Profumum Acqua e Zucchero. Vanilla and berries sounded safe enough

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I love these themes of "your mother's scent" and "a neglected scent" -- they get a person to walk around their wardrobe and look at it from different angles. I, like most of you, have many neglected scents.

Hubby is driving away from the house just now, and I'm thinking about what things I'll do during the few hours of alone time I get in a week. I absolutely love that we're together 99% of the time, but there's something lavishly divine about total privacy. [Opens drawer and pulls out figgy Philosykos. Sprays liberally.] While the fig-hater's away, this much-neglected scent will play. Will shower before he gets home and apply a different neglected scent that won't bug him.

Air conditioning: one of the greatest inventions. It's so hard to think straight when your body's on slow simmer. Hope you're feeling more comfy soon, Robin.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'll share the sentiment, Friday YIPPEE!!!

Robin...take it easy and hopefully the A/C will be fixed soon
    Chrissie...hope you and Sofie are doing alright

Happy Friday to everyone else!!!in synch with my neglected Chantilly this morning
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

For Friday's synch I chose Mitsouko parfum. This used to be my favourite, and was once my signature, but I have worn it only a few times this year. Only one more day until the weekend!

My neglected EL Dazzling Silver

For synch Friday I started off in Elizabeth Arden Green Tea. Fresh, citrusy, summery and costs next to nothing - what's not to like? Will shortly change to Eden, which is another neglected one in my book, although I can understand that its general weirdness wins it few friends.
    Last edited by devilcat; 17th June 2011 at 01:31 PM.

Balmain de Balmain as a neglected scent. I could have chosen Ultraviolette or Noa, the most neglected scents in my personal wardrobe, but I am in America and they are at home.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I have so many samples that you could say the vast majority of them are neglected. But today I was drawn to one in my most recently acquired Luckyscent order, Farmacia SS. Annunziata's Vaniglia del Madagascar. The rest of them will have to stay neglected for at least one more day.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hubby is home; daughter finished today's finals by 9:30 and is home catching up on sleep; I'm off to do shopping and errands. We've had heavy rain but it seems to have stopped for now.

SotD is Iris Pallida.

Stay cool!

A Taste Of Heaven- By Kilian

Basenotes Institution

Well I forgot ....once again..about the neglected scent sync- evn though I remembered yesterday !

Oh well ! I am in Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere.
    Have a yippeeeeee Friday all !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Van Cleef and Arpels Tsar.

Wearing Vanilla Fields by Coty today. Starts off quite chemically to my nose but then settles down into something quite wearable.

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria ~ Laurier Reglisse (sample)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Well I forgot ....once again..about the neglected scent sync- evn though I remembered yesterday !

Oh well ! I am in Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere.
    Eau Premiere is certainly NOT neglected by you, my dear!

I'll join the 'Yippeeee!' chorus for Friday, too! And Jon, I'll take one of those cocktails you're serving - yum!

Robin-in-FL, I hope your a/c is fixed soon. We are completely socked in with wet, drippy fog here on the Central Coast, and it's only 57F. Don't hate me , but I'd trade this in a second for some 95F.

Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia today, to combat June Gloom.
    Have a great weekend, all!

Parfumerie Generale Musc Maori--a wonderful favorite that smells like sweet, cool, candycanes and dark chocolate to me.

And matildaben, that's one of my favorite scents ever. It's a lovely vanilla that finds the perfect Goldilocks middle between not too sweet and not too dry.

This afternoon I’m wearing the vastly underrated (imo) Pleasures Exotic by Estee Lauder, one of my favorite summertime fruity scents…

Top Notes - Mango Passion Fruit Cocktail, Dewy Green Leaves, Pink Grapefruit, Orange, Lemongrass.
    Middle Notes - Hibiscus Flower, Island Bamboo Flowers, Bougainvillea Vine, Orange blossom, Lychee, Cassis.
    Base Notes - Sandalwood, Amber

Here’s one back at you, Jon Rodgers!

Have a great weekend, all!

adding: mango/citrus/sandalwood is a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by iechris View Post
    Wearing Vanilla Fields by Coty today. Starts off quite chemically to my nose but then settles down into something quite wearable.
    I like that one, too.

Hermes - Ambre Narguile

sotd was Cuir d'Iris again, as I enjoyed it very much yesterday.

I will be in synch later with the neglected:

Ilang Ivohibe - Parfumerie Generale

Hello Darlings

Robin honey, try to stay cool

Chrissy and DD do be safe and well

Today, by chance, I chose an almost unmentioned (if not neglected) scent. Jean Patou's masterly Chaldée

Be well all.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Did Someone say cocktails?.........wait for me!!
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Basenotes Plus

Cocktails galore this evening - what an indulgent bunch we are !

Tomorrow...............

SotE: Caron En Avion extrait.

Basenotes Plus

Switching to one that I rarely hear mentioned, but it's a very nice scent, Waterford Lismore.

Top notes: Mandarin, Water Lily, Freesia, Ylang Ylang, Rose
    Middle notes: Carnation, Peony, Night Jasmine
    Base notes: Orchid Vanilla, Precious Woods, Violet, Musks

Robin, please add my voice to the chorus of a/c repair wishes and cooling thoughts that are wafting your way (all of them deliciously scented!) from around the globe.

For today's synchronized scent day featuring "neglected scents," I'm *finally* getting around to a proper wearing of Diptyque Tam Dao. I think it's very nice, especially as a warmer-weather sandalwood, which I find surprising, given the notes... Perhaps because it's a bit drier than most? But I am afraid it'll never measure up to my two HG (holy grail) sandalwoods: Chanel Bois des Iles and Profumum's Santalum .

Tam Dao Notes: Goa sandalwood, rosewood, cypress, ambergris.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Ooopps, haven't posted in a while and forgot about Fridays - too bad, as I certainly have some neglected scents! SotD is my much loved sample of Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Scent of the Evening
    Égoïste
    Cologne Concentrée

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Testing Farmacia SS Annunziata Fiore di Riso today. Not very floral to me, it's fluffy and somewhat powdery. If you like Chanel Allure and/or Kenzo Amour, as I do, you'd enjoy this one too.

Notes include white flowers, ginger, vanilla, sandalwood, oakmoss, tonka bean, benzoin.
    This one sounds nice, tdem!

Not in sync right now, but I have several in mind, when I go home tonight. For now, though...

SOTD: Byredo La Tulipe

Also sending my good wishes to RHM and family!

SotE:Le Secrets de Sophie Guerlain
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Sophi, you have finally got some Secrets? I remember you wanted to sniff it so badly.... Congratulations, dear. Like/Love?

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Sophi, you have finally got some Secrets? I remember you wanted to sniff it so badly.... Congratulations, dear. Like/Love?
    Oh,yes..a couple of months ago thanks to a dear BNoter friend i got a decant of it..i have written my review ,too
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Again not in synch. But definitely mis-scented for today. The day went COMPLETELY a different direction than I thought it would, scent/feeling-wise. (Yes, I'm a bit kooky.)

In any event, FM Une Fleur de Cassie for today.

I'll try to find something more on point for tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Switching to one that I rarely hear mentioned, but it's a very nice scent, Waterford Lismore.

Top notes: Mandarin, Water Lily, Freesia, Ylang Ylang, Rose
    Middle notes: Carnation, Peony, Night Jasmine
    Base notes: Orchid Vanilla, Precious Woods, Violet, Musks

I KNEW you were my long lost scent twin, Kiliwia! I almost wore this today. I really like it.

Extreme KF, I hope your evening is an improvement over your day.

No such thing as a virtual hangover, JR!

SotE is Kate Moss by Coty. I was at Walgreen's this afternoon, and I talked the sales associate at the perfume counter into selling me the 100 ml (barely touched) tester with cap for the 50% discount they were offering on the 50 ml bottles, of which there were none left. So I have this huge bottle of Kate Moss for $14 and change. The SA said she thinks they're discontinuing it because she was not able to re-order it. I think it's a great fruity rose scent, I really do. I'm not sure I need another one, but I like this a lot.

I went to Knows Perfume today to pick up the Geisha O-Cha that I wanted, but it hadn't come in yet so I decided to pick up a Rose sample pack to help educate myself out of the "I hate rose" stage. I dropped it on the floor and one of the vials broke, containing MCMC Kept, which got all over my hand, so now that is my inadvertent SOTE.
    Soon to be replaced by Blind Sniff Sample C.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I KNEW you were my long lost scent twin, Kiliwia! I almost wore this today. I really like it.
    So happy to hear you like this one too!! I think it's really good!

Switching to Michael Kors Very Hollywood, for the evening. It's another one that never gets talked about. I gave samples of this to my daughter and now it's one of her favorites. The notes are mandarin, iced bergamot, wet jasmine, ylang ylang, raspberry, gardenia, orris, creamy amber, soft white moss and vetiver.

Wearing AL Carnet de Bal, which I have neglected as of late, so I guess I am in synch today. Robin, I feel your pain, poor thing. I hope things are already cooler and more comfy where you are. Take care, all.

Blog Entries

I am in a scent that is neglected both by me, most of the time, I am afraid, and by many others (haven't seen it here in a while) --

My Friday will be on Sunday or maybe even Monday. I am not having a real break this weekend
    Robin, stay cool, I hope the air will get fixed very soon!

Basenotes Plus

We've got some serious energy building for a great weekend!!!

My neglected scent of the day is something I bought off the Home Shopping Network and wore a lot for a while-- Goddess by the she's-so-strange-but-loveable Marilyn Miglin. It's a very pretty floral-oriental.

I just found this description on her website:
    Goddess
    Nectar des dieux. The nectar of the Gods to awaken the goddess in any woman. This mixture of exotic fruits including Italian Peach, French Apple, Plum, Green Pineapple and Apricot blend seamlessly with mid notes of Clove, Nutmeg, Rose, Lilac, Violet Leaves and exotic Osmanthus gathered from the highest Himalayan peaks where Tibetan monks believe their immortal souls may touch the hand of God. Base notes of Amber, Vanilla, Sandalwood and Herbs complete this beautifully intoxicating fragrance to create a legend in the heart of every mortal man.

YEP, I can just imagine those monks up in them thar Hima-lays picking those plants for my sensory pleasure. Beware, mere mortal men! This cougars commin' for your heart. When imma done with them, there'll be Goddess scented knitting needles all over town. The legend is born............Muuuuuaaaaahhhhhhh....

The funniest thing is somebody got paid to write that ...

ooo oooo... how about a sync theme of "the scent you own with the most bizarre ad copy"????
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Angel today. While Angel isn't exactly my most neglected scent, she has been feeling a little snubbed because of my infatuation with Angel Liqueur de Parfum and Traversee du Bosphore. I thought I should show her a little love ...

Happy Friday, everyone!

I have a house that is coooooling off, thank you all for your thoughts, and a SOTE as my box arrived, the lovely and talented Mure et Musc Extreme! Not pulling the drywall from the ceiling, going to give it a week to dry first.

Although, next time I'll think twice before ordering perfume from Southern CA in the summer, the package shipping from LA to FL in the back of a UPS truck, across I-10 through NV, AZ, TX, LA, AL, MS, and all the way down sunny FL, they were Very, Very Hot when it got here. Tested them and they seem Just fine but it's got to knock some years off their lifespan. I may be an order-in-winter lady from now on!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Habit Rouge Edc tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Hi all! For SotE I'm joining gandhajala and Larimar in Caron En Avion. Yes, I've been neglecting this sample for far too long, and I really need to have more of this very special beauty.

SotE is L'air du Temps again.........it's calming unlike my afternoon. If you all saw the birds flying like crazy and heard a loud air shattering scream of frustration and wondered is the world ending....who that could be..........it was me..........sooooo pissed off at my hubby... 8 years of work, files and reports lost when he moved his office......how the hell do you lose 2 count 'em 2 not 1 bankers box of files? How???? Gave him 1 week to find it or else!!
    URGHHHH!!!!!!!

Basenotes Institution

This morning it was:

Numero Uno by Carthusia

This afternon it was (HOT) so I layered on:

Ginger Ale by Demeter (the last of my decant - I must get a full bottle of this)

Tonight it's:

Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie

Again another decant that I have almost gone thru in less than a month. Need a full bottle of this one too. It's wonderful in the heat.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac