Code of Conduct

Default Signature scent...

Firstly, what a brilliant site, I've spent far too long already browsing!

I've been wearing Penhaligon's Quercus and Diptyque's L'eu de Neroli over the summer months and Molton Brown's Heavenly Gingerlily in the winter but am looking for something new and a bit more heavy weight.

I don't like overly sweet scents, but I've come to love the sweet/spicy balance and gingeryness of heavenly gingerlily. I'm looking for some suggestions of a proper grown up perfume that I can call my own. I'd like something a bit different that I'm not going to smell on every tube ride too! I've been eyeing up Profumum's range but just don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated, and I hope I'm not being too vague.

Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Signature scent...

Welcome to Basenotes Veda_Honey, I love it when folks de-lurk!

Samples of the Serge Lutens line, Anne Pliska, and in the Histoires des Parfums line Ambre114 are worth a sample IMO. Keep in mind that you can also do a search by notes in the Directory here, and also on another site (Fragrantica).

Have fun here and sniff in good health!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

There'are only a bunch of perfumes in the Profvmvm range that worth a try IMO and they're

Olibanum (church-style frankincense and seal wax)
    Victrix (a dry / green fragrance with a modern twist)
    Arso (smoky leather)

other crowdpleasers (I personally don't enjoy) form Profvmvm are

Fvmidvus (smoky vetiver/birch tar)
    Acqua Di Sale (aquatic/fresh)

for recommendations from other brands I'll add

Like This (an amazing EDP with ginger / immortelle / vetiver/ Incense. Solidly crafted, easy to wear but with a great personality)
    Jubilation XXV (complex and sophisticated frankincense with an orange / ginger note in the opening)
    Chene (oak woodshavings, an hidden gem)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thanks both, for the recommendations and the kind welcome. I'm ordering samples of the Etat Libre d'Orange one as we speak and trying to find Histoires de Parfums Ambre.

I'm spoilt for choice!

Thanks both, for the recommendations and the kind welcome. I'm ordering samples of the Etat Libre d'Orange one as we speak and trying to find Histoires de Parfums Ambre.

I'm spoilt for choice!

Blog Entries

I'm spoilt for choice!
    Oh yes! that happens fairly quickly. First of all WELCOME indeed. Second, take your time, don't buy anything without sampling it first. Third if you find some scent you do like analyze it. See what notes it has and then do some research on those notes in other scents. This will lead you on. The notes search function here on BN did not work for me last time I tried it, but I have not given it a go recently. But there are other ways to follow the scents!
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

You might also want to consider some of the masculine Montales

Evening all,
    Just wanted to say thankyou for the words of wisdom. And it seems polite to come back and let you know how my journey went!
    Without going too deep into the psychology of perfume choice (of which I know absolutely nothing!) I think I started in completely the wrong place with Etat Libre D'Orange.

I'm a young, quirky Londoner, I thought to myself. A range with Secretions Magnifiques? I'm bound to find something I like that no-one else wears. So I excitedly ordered the 22 samples and sat one saturday morning to do me some sniffing... several hours later the one I expected to like, Tilda Swinton's Like This, was just a bit too odd with the Pumpkin/Gingerbread combo and the only one I really clicked with was the rather generic Noel au Balcon. I learnt two lessons here, 1. Assume nothing when it comes to branding and 2. Do not sniff Secretions Magnifique with a hangover.

So I returned to the directory, which has become my new most visited page, and ordered a sample of Alien Sunessence and Jo Malone Dark Amber and Gingerlily. I liked both, the Alien was a particularly welcome surprise. But neither was 'right'.

A week or so later, I went to Liberty's with the girls and spent a very enjoyable half an hour sniffing some of the greats, Annick Goutal, Le Labo, Frederic Malle etc etc. I ended up at the altar of Serge Lutens and fell for Five O'Clock Gingembre. Happily wandering home with a bottle I thought I was done (and I've only just realised that I'm not even vaguely done, I think a new addiciton has started) when I passed the Perfume Shop. I'll just nip in and see what they’ve got…

Browsing through the shelves one in particular fragrance jumped out - surely it’s too old for me I thought? But it’s so famous, and it’s mentioned in one of my favourite books… Well, I might as well try it… And so begins what I suspect will be life-long love affair with Mitsouko. It’s ladylike but sexy, sultry and surprising and it’s a million miles away from Etat Libre D’Orange.

So thanks Basenotes, for giving me a starting point and leaving me smelling fabulous!

I've got a 10ml of Like This. Shame, as don't think i would ever wear it. There's something unbalanced about it. And a "Secretions Magnifique" which smells like my man before he has a bath. So wouldn't spend money on something i can get for free!

Well done on your Mitsouko find - sadly i didn't get the same from it but have found many others on my sampling journey! Thanks for the Jo Malone tip - may pop along at lunchtime and try the one you mentioned out :-)

Sheba, I agree whole heartedly Like This is so nearly there but just not quite right. Not being that up on how to describe the problem with it, all I can say is there's something jarring. Maybe the pumpkin?

Do you like gingery scents? The Serge Lutens one is fab.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, TERRIFIC, on two scores... One- that you found something at the altar of Lutens you loved, and two- that you took the time to report back. Congrats on your purchases and keep sniffing in good health!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I started in completely the wrong place with Etat Libre D'Orange
    I think you started in quite a good place, working out what you dislike is just as important as working out what you do like.

I think a new addiciton has started
    Welcome to a new world! where your pay check just got a little smaller each month but you smell soooo much better

You are oh so right, I think I worked out I'm a lot less cool but a lot more classy than I realised.
    Nice to have such an active support group to come too, although I have been browsing fragrances when I should really be doing housework... Bad Basenotes.

Welcome, Veda_Honey!