Code of Conduct

Default Warum and Matildaben's Seattle Sniffathon

The lovely Warum has traveled from her home in Coastal Oregon to spend a few days in sporadically sunny Seattle, and joined me for a sniffathon yesterday. The shops we visited included Blackbird, Essenza, Barney's, and Nordstrom, ending at Knows Perfume where we attended the Perfume 101 class. Highlights included our husbands' exploration of fig perfumes, Warum following her lemmings through the DelRae line, and the renewal of Mats' craving for all things Frederic Malle.

I will post about our journeys in more detail later.

Here's a photo of us (I'm on the left) at Knows Perfume - dontcha love how the Artisan boxes are arranged?

Default Re: Warum and Matildaben's Seattle Sniffathon

Would want to hear all about it, especially DHs with figs and the contents of the class.

Thanks for posting the brief account with the photo.

Love both L'AP and Penhaligons' displays.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks so much for the lovely photo and post ! I would also love to hear more about your perfume adventure !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Look at you lovely ladies!I'm so jealous-and drooling over all those adorable Pen's bottles!Yes,please fill us in more.
    The nose wants what it wants!

We began the day with brunch, our husbands joining us, in my home neighborhood of Ballard, and then the four of us proceeded to Blackbird, a stylish men's boutique a couple of blocks away. The usual manager, Aaron, was not there, but I was delighted to make the acquaintance of Andrew, the weekend person, who was committed and knowledgable about fragrance despite appearing extremely young (he had a great story about his own journey into perfume and not wanting to be "the stinky guy"). Misterben and Mr. Warum appear to have a similar approach to their partner's fragrance obsession - not as obsessed but happy to go along for the ride, not sample-hounds but happy to sniff a few bottles and pick out a few samples on their own. Both sampled and compared TokyoMilk's fig-based Ex Libris and Diptyque's Philosykos, the latter of which which all agreed was more "fruity" and the former more "leafy". Misterben got curious about Bois 1920's Sushi Imperiale because of the name, and ended up liking the scent enough to request a sample, which was actually decanted into one of the spray vials that Warum had brought with her, because he preferred spraying over dabbing. We sniffed candles from the Cire Trudon line, including Odeur de Lune, which claimed to have been influenced by the smell of minerals that were found on the moon. We explored a few items from the CB I Hate Perfume line, Diptyque, and CDG Incense series. I believe Warum got a couple of Diptyque samples but she will have to tell you what they were. I didn't want to walk away empty-handed so I bought a Malin+Goetz soap in "Rum" flavor (Andrew said that was one of their best sellers).

Further updates to come....

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Look at the two of you! You look like you are having a lot of fun!

I do like the rainbow lineup of the L'Artisans.

More, more!

I think Warum did not bring a laptop, and Mr. Warum is using his to prepare for some talks he is going to give at the University, so we may not hear from her at great length for a few more days.

Basenotes Plus

Thumbs up Re: Warum and Matildaben's Seattle Sniffathon

Matildaben, thank you for sharing both the enjoyable recap and the wonderful photo of fragrance lovers in their natural habitat! Just lovely, the both of you.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    I think Warum did not bring a laptop, and Mr. Warum is using his to prepare for some talks he is going to give at the University, so we may not hear from her at great length for a few more days.
    She did, she did!
    There was no way to record everything we did yesterday. Today I had a long hike in the park with Mr. W and he's working on his presentation now, while I am briefly checking in with my friends on BN before a quick shower and a change of fragrance for the evening.

Oh, where do I begin, my head is still spinning, and all last night I was dreaming of perfume... You're such a fantastic host, dear Matildaben! It was a pleasure and joy to meet you and sniff together.

TWolfie, so about the husbands and the fig perfumes. Mr.W has discovered for himself a mean-and-green Wild Fig and Cassis from Jo Malone, and while he is wearing his samples, I am making sure that he tries other green figs before we'll make a purchase, just to be sure which ones he likes best. Interestingly, I planned for him to smell Philosykos. Misterben sprayed on paper Ex Libris by Tokyo Milk and I found it somewhat similar to WFAC. I was not sure where the Ex Libris came from, but Misterben suggested a dusty quality. Another one he picked was In the library by CB I Hate Perfume. The library connection was immediately obvious, since it smelled a lot like paper. There was a precious moment when Misterben and I were smelling both ends of the paper strip -- the one with the In the Library sprayed on and the one that did not have a fragrance at all, so we were comparing the different paper smells, one from CB and one from... well, life.

More later, as I'm off to the shower -- but wait, I want to tell more about DelRae line and L'Eau d'Hiver (wrong season, perhaps) -- but no, I better watch the time.

More later, friends!

P.S. On the picture I say "lavender"

Basenotes Plus

So happy for you Warum and Matildaben, that you get to explore all these shops together and especially that your husbands are interested and enjoying it also. It's so cool that they do!!! Please tell us more about the stores you go into and what you try.

Basenotes Plus

OOHHHHH WOOOWWW! LOVED reading this!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

happy is the bleu heart<3

I can't wait to hear more, especially your stop at Knows Perfume! I follow Christen on Facebook and I SO wish I could attend one of her classes!

Isn't it fun to meet up with other BN'ers?

Our second shop of the day was Essenza, an independently-owned shop in the Fremont neighborhood. I had previously spotted that they had a few bottles of the now-discontinued L'Artisan fragrance Vanilia, and had purchased a bottle, mainly for swapping. Warum had exhausted a couple of samples and still hadn't decided whether she liked it enough to buy a bottle, and she thought she might be able to decide better in cooler weather. I encouraged her to save her money if she wasn't sure, and I could supply her with another decant when fall comes. She also got a chance to sniff one of the Santa Maria Novella fragrances on her to-test list, and to try the entire DelRae line, which she had had an interest in - she discovered that the ones she liked the best weren't necessarily the ones that she thought she would just from reading the notes - which I think is a good lesson for us all. She also got a few Carthusia samples to take away, and (in keeping with the fig theme from earlier), bought an Italian fig soap for her husband. I got an Esteban room spray.

Next... Barney's.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

As shades says, meeting up with BNers is really special. Thank you soooo much for sharing a photo and your stories. There are husbands who like fig? Well, if that don't beat all. Warum, I'm trying to put an accented voice to your darling face, which reminds me of one of my favorite landscaping friends. Matilda, I'll be looking for your pretty face in person real soon.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

It feels so wonderful to read all your comments, my dear friends!
    It is so special to know that you are so excited for us.

I was very impressed with Essenza as well as Fremont neighborhood itself (although I was even more impressed with Ballard earlier in the day!). Essenza is a must-stop, there is nothing like it! I loved the variety of perfume lines and the display. The store was very well lit, and since the day was nice and sunny, it felt like we were basking in the light and in our hobby.

I stopped near Frapin and finally smelled 1270 on paper, which I wanted to do for a long time. I smelled Arabie on paper as well and kept the paper in Mat's car. I guess in the Fall I will be getting a sample of Arabie, it smells quite lovely to me. I stopped near the Carthusia display and gave Matildaben my one-liner reviews of the line, which made me think that my husband needs to try Io on his skin. Luckily, they had some manufacturer's spray samples, so now he will be able to.

I did spray Vanilia again, and I still got that "not so sure" feeling about it. But I think I only like to wear vanilla-centered fragrances in October, so I will think again.

Matildaben showed me to the inner room of the store, and pointed to the Santa Maria Novella bottles. And then I saw that Del Rae display. Matildaben has located the SMN from my test list for me as I was standing there staring down the Del Rae bottles. I've only tried the Amouresse, thanks to a lovely BNer who knows who she is, and that got me interested in the line. I knew I had Eau Emotinonelle on my list, and that was the one that did not pass the paper sniff test (Mat, but YOU might like it quite well and there's more chance that your skin will be more friendly to this fragrance than mine). I thought I would not care for Panache because I started to tire from honey fragrances -- oh boy I sure did care. Eau Illuminee made my head spin and hands shake -- is it a perfect Summer in the bottle? And Mythique seemed beautiful to me, plus the most intriguing one. They had the samples, too, so I will have a chance to wear and report my skin-deep impressions. While sniffing Del Rae perfumes I exclaimed, "Do I have to fall in love with these?!" Apparently, I did, since even now as I think about wearing them, I get a light feeling in my head (which I got more than one time that day).

I wanted to buy something special from this store, since they allowed me so much big brush stroke sniffing and sampling, and a fig soap seemed like a perfect idea to me. I am happy to report that dear Mr.W loved the box and loved the smell of the soap, but he didn't open it yet. He's waiting till we are home to open it up and start using it. He loves him some good soap, and I was mostly stocking his French soap for him, but this one is Italian.

And the next stop was Barneys...

Arabie smells like savory cooking spices! It's still in my car and I pick it up from time to time for a sniff. I don't like it at all as a perfume but I agree it's very well-done. (mmm, well-done like a roast beast, now I'm hungry.)

Misterben tried his two Carthusia samples on paper this morning to decide what to wear after his shower. He liked both Mediterraneo and Via Camarelle, but I think he was leaning more towards the latter.

Sounds like you had the fun, ladies! (I'm hoping to visit Seattle myself this summer. You've given me some wonderful ideas about where to go.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Sounds like you had the fun, ladies! (I'm hoping to visit Seattle myself this summer. You've given me some wonderful ideas about where to go.)
    I will update the Seattle thread in the travel/stores area of the BN. Have fun there! Seattle is wonderful.

W., go guess A, willya?

Very nice account, wonderful.

Ladies, great sniffing report!!! I look forward to the next installment.
    Warum, isn't Eau Illuminee great! I recieved a bottle in a swap and have just been LOVING it this time of year. I think there are a few winners in that line, and I've not smelled the Panache yet.

Leesee, please feel free to PM me when your trip gets closer, I'd be happy to meet up if you have time.

Our visit to Barney's was all about Frederic Malle. Usually the Malle perfumes are quite accessible on a table near the front, and Sunday was no exception - they also had the body lotions out nearby so we got to try layering. They also had a table of the Malle candles in bell jars - my favorite was Premier Mai, a clean lily of the valley, and Warum was quite taken with Jurassic Flower, a lush heady floral that turned out to be magnolia (upon looking at the reference book).

I have sniffed most of the Malle line that I am interested in, so my role was support person. I did gaze longingly at a bottle of En Passant, tried the Lys Mediterranee in the oil version, and layered the Lys Med body lotion. Warum got a few manufacturers' samples from the lone, mostly hands-off SA, but they were out of others and he did not offer to make up vial samples, so she walked away without Parfum de Therese, which is definitely one that needs to be tried on skin. I have to stay away from here because I do not have the budget for it right now!

We only had a half hour before we had to be at Knows Perfume for the 101 class, but we did visit the Annick Goutal counter at Nordstrom, where we were assisted by able and committed senior SA Mary, and I turned Warum on to Mandragore, which she seemed quite taken with. I got samples of Passion and Vanille Exquise.

Warum, do you want to post anything about Barneys, Nordstrom, or the Perfume 101 class at Knows Perfume?

I'm reading this with interest. Love the picture of you two with that gorgeous fragrant backdrop! Thank you for sharing your adventures. Warum, you like Panache too? I am SO tempted to buy some.

Thank you two so much for sharing. It's always so nice to see two BNers get together to share a love of fragrance!

You two look like you has so much fun!!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks for sharing your adventures! Beautiful photo and the trip sounds wonderful.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

It sounds as if you two lovely ladies had quite a wonderful adventure. I just love hearing about perfume adventures. Keep the posts coming.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Warum, do you want to post anything about Barneys, Nordstrom, or the Perfume 101 class at Knows Perfume?
    I do! Will do tomorrow. I planned to do it today, but got so wrapped up in the Blind Sniff

Haunani, I loved it on paper. Will test it on the skin and will report.

Please send me some Panache to sniff, 1 drop is enough.

We wanted to hear about the class in post #2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Please send me some Panache to sniff, 1 drop is enough.

We wanted to hear about the class in post #2.
    Will do on both accounts. In fact, I am putting my mind between this and work. Some work that has to be done by Monday -- and then some perfume writing for reward! (this is how we get work done around here ) Stay tuned.

Thanks you two for posting, it's so much fun to read about your adventure!