Code of Conduct

Default Venturing into the unknown with niche samples.

After surfing the net one night, I found myself on the Lucky Scent site. Intrigued by the multitude of niche offerings, I began reading the descriptions and notes. and ordered some samples.

SoOud Kanz Eau Fine
    Amouage Dia Woman
    Hors La Monde Shiloh
    Houbigant Fougere Royale
    Mona di Orio Chamarre
    Mona di Orio Jabu
    Nobile 1942 Pontevecchio W
    Amouage Gold Woman
    Balmain Ambre Gris
    Comme des Garcons Series 2: Red Carnation
    Montale Black Aoud
    PARFUMS DE NICOLAI Odalisque
    PARFUMS DE NICOLAI Sacrebleu
    Sarah Horowitz Parfums Love Comes From Within

Admittedly a couple of days later when the order was confirmed, I didn't have a clue what I ordered.

What's more, I have more than enough perfume to probably last a lifetime. If each bottle were to last me a year, I would be 100 by the time I finished all my current bottles. So this was nothing short of self indulgence. But then I never did do anything by halves in my life.

I tend to throw myself into things fully for as long as the fascination lasts. Then I walk away, having found something new to love. Faithless wench that I am.

Comments on any of the list above are most welcome. It would be nice to know what to expect.!!!!

Cheers
    LiliB

Default Re: Venturing into the unknown with niche samples.

You ordered a few of my favorites! Sacreblue I adore in the winter. Dia is a classic soapy rose. Gold is a powerhouse but lovely floral. No doubt you will have fun. When I first found LuckyScent I spent the entire summer researching fragrances and buying samples. I set out to find a signature fragrance...and found several to love. I would recommend exploring more of Patricia di Nicolai. I like many of her fragrances and they are very reasonably priced. Le Temps d'Une Fete is a must try.

Have fun! Nothing like a LuckyScent package in the mail!!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I looked and looked for the truest carnation and finally found it in CDG's version. At that point I realized I really didn't want to smell of carnation-- but still was happy to have found such a good one.

Amouage Gold Woman is opulent. Wonderful stuff!

I went through a bottle of Shiloh in less than a year, it is my favorite from your list. I was sharing with BN people, of course.

LOL @ 30R's carnation revelation. Same thing happens to me all the time: cinnamon, plums, lilies of the valley.

I might be lining up too, having to admit that carnations might smell better in the vase than on me. I'm trying Bellodgia again. Just to see if I am wrong about it. I have a yen for the old Maja, which is perhaps what I'm after. Not sure after so many years.

I have to agree Twolf. It seems lily of the valley just doesn't gel with my skin and can spoil what is an otherwise pretty floral accord.

Nor do some of the spices like Cumin. They just smell off on me. Not the stimulating "side dish" they were meant to be in the "meal" that is the perfume being sampled.

I will be anxious to hear what you think of Red Carnation. I have never tried it but it certainly sounds interesting. Bellodgia is actually one of my favorite Caron's that I have tried, second to Narcisse Noir. Of course, I have not yet had the pleasure of Tabac Blond but from what I hear, its right up my alley!

I think I tried SoOud at Scentbar and it didn't blow me away. I was definitely disapointed with Black Oud after all the hype and recommendations. I found it to be a pretty synthetic, unimaginative rose.

I have a sample of Frederic Malle Une Rose I will be trying soon. It was great on paper, I hope its the same for the skin.
    "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it."
    Marilyn Monroe

There are some nice ones in your order! CdG Carnation is one of my top three favourite carnation scents (the other two being Etro Dianthus and Terracotta Voile d'Ete).

Let me warn you - you are entering a very dangerous terrain! I started with writing "It might happen that in a year's time most of your current collection will be replaced by niche scents" but then I took a look at your wardrobe and am changing the end of the sentence to "your collection will explode". You already have lots of classy scents and I am sure you'll find some new, exciting offerings along the way. Enjoy!

If you like Balmain Ambre Gris -- which I do not hate but there are better amber-themed fragrances out there -- do not go the LuckyScent route to order it. There are other eTailers offering the same thing for half the price.

All Mona di Orio fragrances are special, even if you do not like them, keep your samples for references (please also read LT and TS Guide how they characterize each of them -- not their favorites).

The Amouages you are expecting are the best of what they have got, IMHO.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Moon View Post
    I have a sample of Frederic Malle Une Rose I will be trying soon. It was great on paper, I hope its the same for the skin.
    I have it...and I wear it on paper! I spray it on a blotter in a locket and wear it that way so I can enjoy the notes I like best. It is very long lasting so even a tiny bit lasts all day.

Kudos on a rather eclectic selection! I've only tried a handful, but here are my thoughts on each:

Amouage Dia Woman - a more rounded, soft version of the usual powdery-incensey-animalic-floral Amouage does so frequently.
    Amouage Gold Woman - heavily animalic, sweet, powdery floral from yesteryear; this is the classic ''Amouage'' smell
    Comme des Garcons Series 2: Red Carnation - the usual powdery carnation rendition, with a touch more spice.
    Montale Black Aoud - simple, monolithic, and powerful patchouli-rose-oud trio.
    PARFUMS DE NICOLAI Odalisque - airy, watery, lightly floral chypre; cool and distant.

I'm a fan of Montale Black Oud, most of Montale's Ouds as well. If I didn't have a lifetime of bottles as well, I probably wouldn't mind spending the money collecting them. I think getting an order of samples is fun every once in a while, chances are you won't fall in love with but maybe one or two of them, but nice to sniff and test new things, esp if you are like me and don't have much access to niche scents.

Hi Paper Moon

I will be offering some of my perfumes 'free to a good home' in the near future. These are all brand new, with a couple of sprays out of them, used to test. I don't keep boxes, so they will have to travel naked.

At this stage they are:

Bellodgia
    Narcisse Noir
    Terracotta Voile
    Nahema
    Tocadilly

Let me know if you think you might be interested. (PM me perhaps)

For whatever reason, these just don't quite do it for me. I've reached the point in my life, where I just don't want more 'stuff' to fill my already overflowing storage. I believe in just chalking the failures up to experience, and focussing on the many new loves I have acquired.

Update: Narcisse Noir and Nahema have been snaffled up. Others still up for grabs.
    Last edited by LiliB; 15th June 2011 at 03:33 AM.