32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

27 84.38%
  • Serge Lutens Chergui

2 6.25%
  • By Killian Back to Black

3 9.38%

Default Looking for my go to Tobacco fragrance

I would like to throw out a little poll for your favorite tobacco fragrance. I have sampled Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille which has insane projection and longevity on my skin. Chergui which sits fairly close to the skin with above average longevity but has recieved a ton of compliments and By Killian Back to Black which I had been contemplating ordering a sample for quite some time now. I love TV and Chergui but they serve almost the same purpose and I am looking for a tobacco swiss army knife of scents. If you guys could rate these scents for me 1-3 I would really appreciate it?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Looking for my go to Tobacco fragrance

1) Tobacco Vanille
    2) Chergui
    3) Back to Black
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    1) Tobacco Vanille
    2) Chergui
    3) Back to Black
    +1..... TV is hard to beat.

1) Tobacco Vanille
    2) Chergui
    3) Back to Black
    Agreed...Chergi and B2B are too sweet.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

1) Tobacco Vanille
    2) Chergui
    3) Back to Black
    Agree, though I haven't smelled Black to Black

Blog Entries

Get Pure Havane if you want a daily tobacco fragrance, as well as The Dreamer is a perfect every day scent. Tobacco Vanille is absolutely wonderful, in my top 3 probably, its just hard to wear. I save it for special occasions, or whenever I'm feeling its awesomeness!

Chergui is also awesome, but its much less of a tobacco than the above mentioned...it is blended very well though, and me being a sucker for sweet tobacco fragrances, its a no brainer as to why I love it.

Tobacco Vanille is simply flawless imo though. Vanilla+spices+tobacco+cocoa+absurd longevity and projection. It is THE BEST fragrance I've ever smelled, tied for that title with Angel Men, which may be de-throned by Pure Havane soon enough!

Basenotes Plus

I really wouldn't like to choose. I own all three and enjoy each one immensely - any of them would make a great addition to your wardrobe.

I voted for Tobacco Vanille.
    Chergui also works, as does back to black but TV is more of a tobacco scent with sine vanilla for good balance.
    Chergui and BtB are as good but have more than just tobacco going on.

So it depends on whether you want a straightforward tobacco or a medley.

for swap/sale:

If you like Chergui, I will recommend Fumerie Turque instead. It`s more masculine, and has some great tobacco/honey notes. I woted Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    If you like Chergui, I will recommend Fumerie Turque instead. It`s more masculine, and has some great tobacco/honey notes. I woted Tobacco Vanille.
    Great suggestion! I would gladly swap my Chergui for Fumerie Turque.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Agreed! I'm not a big fan of TV.

1) Chergui
    2) Back to Black

Too much rose in Fumerie Turque. Goes rosy-powdery and that usually makes it hard to wear. Great fragrance though if your nose bypasses that. Chergui's a quality fragrance that's about benzoin and amber more than anything else. Hard not to like it though. There aren't any great tobacco fragrances. I mean nothing that works as a really high quality fragrance even comes close to feeling and smelling like a great Cuban cigar for very long. Back to Black and Tobacco Vanille definitely aren't it, and neither are the other ten or so I've tried, least of all Havana (Aramis), although it's a decent fragrance.

A few I like but none that really satiate what I'd want from a tobacco fragrance:

Acqua di Cuba
    Cuba (Czech & Speake)
    Vintage Tabarome
    Tabac (AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo)
    Last edited by pluran; 27th June 2011 at 11:13 PM.

I know Tabacco Vanille and like it as much as anyody, but I do not find it to be much more vanilla than tobacco, and it is sweet. There are other more tobacco heavy fragrances out there(Vermiel, and Burberry London).

Damn. No love for Back to Black? I just ordered a sample from the Perfumed Court and I heard great reviews with spotty longevity. Is that the reason for no love?

You have gotten some good advice, but why not cast a wider net?

I was also recently surveying tobacco scents, which led me to some artisanal/natural houses that do a great job with tobacco absolute:

The aforementioned Tabac by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo is great (and try Chilum if you like your tobacco with some fantastic sandalwood).

You might want to also try Meerschaum by Liz Zorn, and, if you are really adventurous, the amazing Tobacco and Tulle (animalic tobacco + tuberose, stunning!).

Note that the above have the usual longevity issues shared by all-natural fragrances.

As for your choices: I think Back to Black is the best, but you have to like chamomile and raspberry with your tobacco. Chergui is more about hay, and Fumerie Turque has a bit of a urine tang on me that is offputting. It has been too long since I sampled TV.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

You cannot deny it...you want it...

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Double!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 14th June 2011 at 08:08 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    You cannot deny it...you want it...

I'm lost?

C'mon, Back to Black is pure syrup, not a drop of tobacco to be seen in that juice.

MJM, I was referring to Aramis Havana. It's a big, spicy, kind of cheesy in an smooth early 90's way (hence Kenny G.) tobacco fragrance.

omg double again. Maybe I need to switch browsers.

Good choices. I voted for Mr. Ford's offering, but my absolute favorite tobacco scent is Odori Tabacco. In my top 3 of all time.

I'd rate all about the same, for me Back To Black, Tobacco Vanille, Chergui in that order, but all come under the category of ''really like it, don't love it''.

Back To Black is nice but becomes rather sweet in the drydown; there's a honeyed-floral-cherry cherry quality that means I only apply it in small amounts. Now and again, though, it's magic.

Tobacco Vanille is what it says on the box, but I find it a little blunt, linear, and uninteresting after a few wears. Nice enough, though.

Chergui has some intriguing grassy-hay notes that never quite make it through the oriental sweetness; its longevity isn't great.

All three I've found cloyingly sweet at one time or another ( in a cherry-chapstick, golden syrup, and powdered sugar way respectively ); I've never run across a tobacco that wasn't too sweet or too discordant.

1) 1740
    2) Back To Black
    3) Tobacco Vanille

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

On my skin, Chergui turns powdery, while the honey note in Back to Black overpowers its tobacco note. My vote goes to the very smooth and well blended, sexy, masculine, long lasting Tobacco Vanille.

Last edited by Descartes; 5th November 2012 at 07:59 AM.

I wore Tobaco Latino yesterday, and so far, every time I wear it I'm surprised at how good it is, especially considering that it was not marketed as a niche frag. It is comfortable and can be worn under all circumstances. It is light but if you spray it a couple extra times, the longevity is great and it never becomes irritating, cloying, or boring. No, if you want a Tobacco Vanille type of frag TL is not going to cut it, but that's the whole point; sometimes I want a light tobacco frag that is pleasant and never problematic.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 14th June 2011 at 11:05 PM.

TV for me. Unique and edgiest of the three. Loud and delicious smell. I always dig the smell when I wear it.

Back to Black would be my second. Don't know it as well, but in a recent brief test was quite impressed with it's presence.

Chergui...I never really tested much. Very nice I'm sure, but I find I'm not a fan of many Lutens scents. Not a knock on them...just not in sync with my tastes.

Tobacco Vanille. To my nose, I consider it an absolute masterpiece.
    Well-blended, rich & opulent. Simple and classic. Makes an impactful statement.

The Private Blends stay true to Tom Ford's overall fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    I know Tabacco Vanille and like it as much as anyody, but I do not find it to be much more vanilla than tobacco, and it is sweet. There are other more tobacco heavy fragrances out there(Vermiel, and Burberry London).
    Vermeil is in another class from the niche stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    1 Costamor Tabacca
    2 Sonoma scent studio Tabac Aurea
    3 Cartier Declaration

Love here for Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. Also a big fan of Tobacco Vanille.
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I would like to throw out a little poll for your favorite tobacco fragrance.
    Not to be a complete wet blanket, but I wouldn't spend the money on a Tom Ford or Serge Lutens tobacco scent until giving Quorum, Habanita, and Tabac Blond a try. At worst, you'll be able to appreciate just how much better the fragrances you're now considering fit you. At best ... considering how reasonably-priced some of the various suggestions are, you might be able to afford enjoying more than one style of tobacco on a regular basis.

I would order a sample of Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. It is quite wonderful indeed and probably different than anything you've tried. Of the ones you listed, TV is probably the best (not to be confused with the divine Vintage Tabarome that is also worth sampling). Sonoma's offering is named aptly "Golden Tobacco" and I think it really reflects that. A semi-sweet opening with some cherry-plum flavored pipe tobacco, a floral and tobacco heart, and a musky tonka base that is high in quality.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

TV
    Chergui
    Back to Black

Another vote for Havana. Also, Michael for Men is the quintessential Pipe Tobacco frag in my opinion.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

I think Tobacco Vanille won...

As always Thank You guys for your wisdom!