Code of Conduct

Cool Summer Scents Sample Circle, Anyone?

Summer will be here soon, and wouldn't it be nice to have a new go-to scent for those warm or hot days?

I tend to gravitate toward heavier scents, so I want to break out of my comfort zone and possibly find that elusive summer scent that my chemistry likes.

So...anyone want to join a round robin of summer-friendly samples? Doesn't matter where you live. We can allocate a generous amount of time per person.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Summer Scents Sample Circle, Anyone?

I think my favorite Summer scent is AG Ninfeo Mio, I can make a 1 ml sample of my small decant. Blenheim Bouquet will be nice for Summer as well. I asked Penhaligon to send me a sample of it for my Summer, if they send me a double, I'll be glad to share that one as well.

Let me think what else I have enjoyed last Summer... doh, many hours later it came to me! My Summer 2010 #1 was L'Occitane Lemon and Honey Shimmering, it is being discontinued, but you can still buy it off the website, I think. But I can supply some of that, too.

That sounds great! I'll be able to offer these:

Bois Naufrage by Parfumerie Generale
    Beachwood by Costamor
    Aria di Capri by Carthusia
    Beach by Bobbi Brown
    Green by Nanadebary

I'm hoping I'll get enough people interested to carry through with the circle...

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Let me think what else I have enjoyed last Summer... doh, many hours later it came to me! My Summer 2010 #1 was L'Occitane Lemon and Honey Shimmering, .
    Hmmm, I wore a lot of L'Occitane Neroli last summer. I can also supply this.

Love to join. I can supply samples of some of my Summer favourites:
    Guerlain Cologne du 68
    Dior Eau Fraiche (vintage)
    SMN Fieno
    Diptyque Vetyverio
    L'Occitane Honey & Vanilla

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Great idea! I can pitch in some of my new Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi and some Hampton Sun Privet Bloom.
    Also some Demeter scents: Pineapple, Lily of the Valley, and Dandelion.
    And also Provence Santé Vervain.

All so refreshing!

>>Do we send these initially to you, semisweet?
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 8th March 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

>>Do we send these initially to you, semisweet?
    or are we doing it the way the pass the parcels works -- we have a list and everyone sends to the same person on the list, and we all send our packages at the same time?

I keep thinking about the Summer scents, but it's hard to come up with anything while I am away from home and don't see my samples and bottles. I am going through them in my mind. Another thought -- 30 Roses, your fig idea gave me that -- Jo Malone Wild Fig and Cassis, I believe I have some of that in my samples.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

That would make sense, all send to one person-- who then, what, sends the whole lot to the next person? I'm confused!

Blog Entries

30 Roses, with the pass the parcels we just constantly go down the list and receive from up the list. Think circle. Let's say on the same date Semisweet sends to me, I send to you, and you send to Hilary Jane, and she closes the circle by sending to Semisweet. When the post does its job, we all will have a package from someone. When I am done, I send the Semisweet's package to to you, you send what I have sent to Hilary Jane, and she sends your original one to Semisweet. The packages will never meet, not supposed to anyway. Not at the same time, but we will all try the same fragrances.

Am I making sense here?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Ah, and you go all the way around the circle so everyone gets to try all the fragrances, yes?

Doesn't this result in spending a lot on postage? I have to watch the postage expenditures as I've been spending a lot these days with the sampling groups and my hubby is starting to look at me crosseyed, LOL

I'm going to opt out, sorry.

Do not feel bad, 30R. Postage costs were the main reason for me not to join the Pass the Parcel Worldwide exchange last summer. They can add up, I know that.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It's okay-- I have lots of nice summery fragrances.

In fact, I've been wearing them all winter too -- this winter was a doozy, and I think my perfumes were a denial of reality.
    Rather like holding hands over my eyes and saying, "It can't be winter if it smells so fresh and flowery in here!"

30 Roses, with the pass the parcels we just constantly go down the list and receive from up the list. Think circle. Let's say on the same date Semisweet sends to me, I send to you, and you send to Hilary Jane, and she closes the circle by sending to Semisweet. When the post does its job, we all will have a package from someone. When I am done, I send the Semisweet's package to to you, you send what I have sent to Hilary Jane, and she sends your original one to Semisweet. The packages will never meet, not supposed to anyway. Not at the same time, but we will all try the same fragrances.

Am I making sense here?
    Yes, this is what I had in mind. That way no one is innundated with a boat load of scents at one time and feeling pressured to hurry and pass them to the next person. I shouldn't think the postage would add up to too much if the number of people are limited. And right now, with 30 Roses opting out there are only three of us. What do you think is a good number in the circle? And how long should we wait for folks to join before starting do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Ah, and you go all the way around the circle so everyone gets to try all the fragrances, yes?

Doesn't this result in spending a lot on postage? I have to watch the postage expenditures as I've been spending a lot these days with the sampling groups and my hubby is starting to look at me crosseyed, LOL

I'm going to opt out, sorry.
    I understand, but wish you could join! And knowing what kind of winter you all up north endured, I can see why you would wear your summer scents! It sounded really rough. I always moan about not having a real winter, but I can honestly say that this year I was perfectly happy without the freezing/snowy weather.

Quote Originally Posted by hilaryjane View Post
    Love to join. I can supply samples of some of my Summer favourites:
    Guerlain Cologne du 68
    Dior Eau Fraiche (vintage)
    SMN Fieno
    Diptyque Vetyverio
    L'Occitane Honey & Vanilla
    Wonderful! I'm not sure yet when we'll begin. There are only three of us now, so perhaps we can wait for one or two others... I'll keep everyone posted.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by semisweet411 View Post
    Yes, this is what I had in mind. That way no one is innundated with a boat load of scents at one time and feeling pressured to hurry and pass them to the next person.
    Granted, that is a downside to the other way of passing samples, especially when the number of samples is large, as it has been with the Penhaligon's and roses samples groups.

Also, when there are a lot of samples, people lower on the list have to wait a very long time to receive them, since everyone needs to keep them for 3-4 weeks just to get through them.

I can see the value of this circle method as an alternative way to share. It also lowers the burden on the initiator and spreads it around to the other members, who must pitch in. But may be harder for newbies who don't have samples to share.

I think the other way is probably still best when there is a quantity of donated samples from one house. Then it's logical to just send them down the line.

Semisweet, I think I will pass this time, since I have splurged a lot on new 'fumes lately. I do look forward to reading what you all post, though!

Hi ya'll, do you let just anyone into this group? If so, I have a couple of goodies to add:

Beth Terry Creative Universe Element of Surprise
    Fragonard Belle de Soleil
    Les Parfums de Rosine Rose D'Ete
    L'Artisan Premier Figuier

And I'll look for another couple, maybe....
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Quote Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
    Hi ya'll, do you let just anyone into this group? If so, I have a couple of goodies to add:

Les Parfums de Rosine Rose D'Ete
    L'Artisan Premier Figuier

And I'll look for another couple, maybe....
    Sounds great. Welcome!

Blog Entries

Ladies, I am back from GA, love to see all new scents and ideas!

A couple of questions:
    1. Shall we start sending or do we want to start closer to the Summer so we actually experience the scents in the Summer? It would make sense... then...
    2. When does your Summer start? I lived in different places in the US, and Summer comes at a different rate. Mine starts in late May. Do we want to set the dates to send our packages?

Penhaligon's did not send me ANY Blenheim Bouquet I will have to hunt some down on my own! why not, anyway, I like it.

But I also came up with some more ideas.
    - Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil?
    - Jo Malone Wild Fig and Cassis?
    do you know these?

I vote closer to summer. Who knows what we'll come up with by then? I also suggest we limit the number of samples - maybe 4 - 6 per person who contributes? That way, we don't take forever to go through them, and we can pass them along more quickly. I like that we shouldn't have to hurry, but with a whole bunch of samples, seems like it takes forever to pass them on. Just a suggestion, Semisweet - as the originator of this process, I think you should have the final say about how this works!

1. Shall we start sending or do we want to start closer to the Summer so we actually experience the scents in the Summer? It would make sense... then...
    2. When does your Summer start? I lived in different places in the US, and Summer comes at a different rate. Mine starts in late May. Do we want to set the dates to send our packages?

But I also came up with some more ideas.
    - Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil?
    - Jo Malone Wild Fig and Cassis?
    do you know these?
    Summer has pretty much arrived here, but I'm not sure when it does for the rest of us. An average time would work.

So ladies, let us know what month works best for you. I'm ready now, but waiting is fine with me as well.

Warum, I am partial to fig scents, so the Jo Malone sounds great to me. I've been wanting to try that one!

I vote closer to summer. Who knows what we'll come up with by then? I also suggest we limit the number of samples - maybe 4 - 6 per person who contributes? That way, we don't take forever to go through them, and we can pass them along more quickly.
    I agree with both these points. Waiting till closer to the calendar summer will probably work best for the majority. And I do want to keep it light and fun, not too cumbersome with a deluge of samples. I have 4 to 5 definites myself, so I'll just stop with these.
    Beachwood - Costamor
    Bois Naufrage - Parfumerie Generale
    Green - Nanadebary
    Beach - Bobbi Brown (when I find my sample!)

One of my go to summer scents since I was a teenager is Calandre - Paco Rabanne. I'll be glad to send some of that, but I'm guessing everyone has already sniffed it....

Blog Entries

Nope, I didn't sniff Calandre! (but if it's hard to find, don't worry).
    I agree: closer to calendar Summer and 4-6 samples. Perfect!
    Like I said, the second half of May sounds good to me, but in my mild climate the Summer y'all talking about never comes. Never that warm. I do experience the warmer weather more like locals now, so this is still Summer for me. But you all will just laugh at our "summer" temps.

So how many players do we have now? Semisweet, HilaryJane, Warum and me? Anybody I missed?

Nope, I didn't sniff Calandre! (but if it's hard to find, don't worry).
    I agree: closer to calendar Summer and 4-6 samples. Perfect!
    Like I said, the second half of May sounds good to me, but in my mild climate the Summer y'all talking about never comes. Never that warm. I do experience the warmer weather more like locals now, so this is still Summer for me. But you all will just laugh at our "summer" temps.
    Ok, I'll include Calandre. I have two huge bottles of it because I stock up when I go to the jewelry shows. I heard a rumor that it was discontinued, so I've become compulsive. (I also have a little bottle of bath oil that is about 30 years old - part of a set my brother gave me many moons ago - and it still smells great. I've also used it as perfume...can't waste it in the bath!)

I LOVE the summers in the Northwest. You all can actually enjoy yourself outside of a swimming pool. I have a love/hate relationship with my muggy, humid, blisteringly hot summers. I LOVE swimming in the hot, hot sun, but hate any time I am out of a pool.

So how many players do we have now? Semisweet, HilaryJane, Warum and me? Anybody I missed?
    Yes, I think that's it. But there's always a possibility of a new player since we are waiting till we are closer to summer.

Blog Entries

Here's a list of Summer perfumes -- I don't know any of these! Anyone heard of these?

Not I! They sound nice, though.

Ok. Hope I haven't procrastinated so much that no one wants to participate anymore. And I also hope it's warm enough now for everyone to get into the summer spirit. I know it is for me!

Sooo....Warum, hilaryjane and coopmom...Ready to begin?

Blog Entries

I don't know if coopmom is, she's been really busy lately moving houses. She postponed another sampling group we participate in together until Memorial Day.
    As for me, I am ready to start mid-May -- right now I am super busy, but starting from May 15 or so I will be able to mail the package! Semisweet, should I mail to you?

Hopping on late - I'd like to be in this group - I can offer:
    Diptyque - Philosykos (mfr sample, sprayed once)
    L'Artisan - Navegar (mfr dabber sample, dabbed once)
    Penhaligon's - Blenheim Bouquet (mfr dabber sample, dabbed once - I have a double)
    Annick Goutal - Le Mimosa (small spray sample from Nordstrom)

and maybe I Profumi di Firenze - Brezza di Mare if I end up buying a FB so I will be able to part with my sample.

double... technical difficulties.

I'm ready whenever.

Blog Entries

I'm back so I'm ready as well!

Ok! Ready to begin. Please correct me if I've left anyone out. Participants are Warum, Hilaryjane, Matildaben, Coopmom and me. I'll message Coopmom to see if she's still interested. If so, I figure Warum can send to me, I'll send to Hilaryjane, Hilaryjane can send to Matildaben, Matildaben to Coopmom, and Coopmom can send to Warum...so on and so forth to move the circle till it's complete. Sound ok to everyone?

Blog Entries

Sounds grand!

Do we send all our stuff to you to start out, semisweet, or do we add to the package when it comes to us? I want to make sure Warum gets that Blenheim Bouquet.

Blog Entries

Semisweet,
    PM me your address please! Coopmom has my address, but I won't ask her to mail anything before Memorial Day. In an earlier conversation she said that she will only be able to do anything afterwards.

Matildaben, no worries about BB and me -- my main concern was that I have enough to get into the Summer Circle. If you include a sample in your package for everyone to sniff, then I won't have to share a 2.5 ml decant I got, and this will do everything -- I will have some and everyone in the circle will have a sniff!! so if you just include it in your package, it will be super helpful!! Thank you SO MUCH for thinking about it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    Do we send all our stuff to you to start out, semisweet, or do we add to the package when it comes to us? I want to make sure Warum gets that Blenheim Bouquet.
    We send to the same person when it reaches us. Sometimes we add I guess -- depending on how life goes -- but basically we sniff and forward to the same person. This is one more way to organize a sampling group.

I get it. I'll PM my address to HilaryJane, and Coopmom should PM her address to me!

BTW, my lineup has changed a bit:
    Diptyque - Philosykos (mfr sample, sprayed once)
    L'Artisan - Navegar (mfr dabber sample, dabbed once)
    Penhaligon's - Blenheim Bouquet (mfr dabber sample, dabbed once)
    MPG - Bahiana (new decant from FB)

I'm ba-a-ck.....i just got Matildaben's PM and will be sending her my address. Thank ya'll for being patient. I probably won't get my package together for Warum until after Memorial Day (traveling), but as soon as I get back I'll get busy. Hopefully my life will have calmed down some by then!

Blog Entries

I'm ba-a-ck.....i just got Matildaben's PM and will be sending her my address. Thank ya'll for being patient. I probably won't get my package together for Warum until after Memorial Day (traveling), but as soon as I get back I'll get busy. Hopefully my life will have calmed down some by then!
    So glad to see you K! Dear! I am glad you're in!!!!
    Yes, this is just fine with me -- no samples before Memorial Day is not a problem as I have a lot of packages I will be moving these days.

coopmom PM'ed me that she received my package. Have any other packages been received yet?

Blog Entries

I still need Semisweet to PM me her address!

Blog Entries

I have coopmom's package and need Semisweet's address to mail her two Summer scent packages, coopmom's and mine......

Hilaryjane, have you sent yours off yet?

Ok, I feel terrible...I've really dropped the ball on this project. Life intervened, and frankly Basenotes, etc. totally dropped off my radar. My mother had a heart attack, and it fell to me to be the primary caregiver. On top of that I've had four (!!) family weddings (+ bridal showers, etc.) in the last eight weeks...and the last is a huge one this coming weekend. Mom has stents and is doing fine now. But I am mortified how I totally forgot about this project. I am getting ready to send Warum my address, but I need to know if I'm still sending my package to Hilaryjane...?

I still haven't gotten anything from Hilaryjane yet. She was last active on BN on 22nd May 2011, so I think it's fallen off of her radar as well.

Blog Entries

Alright, the ball is rolling now for sure -- I have mailed to Semisweet the Summer scents from coopmom and myself!
    And I have received the matildaben's lineup (see post #41), will mail it end of this week/beginning of next week.

Coopmom's lineup:
    L'Artisan Premier Figuer
    Les Parfums de Rosine Rose d'Ete.

Warum's lineup:
    L'Occitane Lemon and Honey (Miel et Citron Pailette Shimmering)
    Annick Goutal Eau du Sud
    Annick Goutal Ninfeo Mio
    Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess
    Hermes Un Jardin Sur le Nil.

Enjoy!
    I sent with delivery conf #, the estimated arrival date is Saturday. Semisweet, please, PM me if you need the #.

Semisweet is going to mail her lineup directly to me because Hilaryjane seems to have dropped off the radar for now ... when she gets back, whoever has them can mail them to her so she can get caught up.

I'm looking forward to trying Premier Figuier, Ninfeo Mio, and Bronze Goddess.