Code of Conduct

Default What are the all time greats, name your favourite five or so women's fragrances

I've been giving this perfume business a bit of thought. Since joining basenotes I have learned so much, found so many perfumes to love, that I hadn't heard of. I've learned how to really appreciate perfume, and also to gauge what I like, often even before trying it.

It also occurred to me that it seems the current perfumes do not last long in their commercial lives. The beauty of the great French houses is that they have preserved, albeit often changed and reformulated, great perfumes of the past. I wonder if we will be able to say the same about some of the much loved perfumes of today.

So to further my quest for the great perfumes, I invite you to share with me your top classics of the present, the future or the past, those that will last as something truly special.

Mine are:
    Chanel 5
    Vol de Nuit
    Rive Gauche
    Coco
    Mitsouko

Edit: What I am asking people to judge is less perhaps their favourites, but the perfumes that are worthy of being kept and handed on. The perfumes you would like your great grandchildren to have, hoping of course, that they will still be available then. The ones that stand head and shoulders above the rest, worthy of being classics, worthy of being preserved. I am wondering which of the current modern ones would fit this category.
    Cheers
    LiliB
    Last edited by LiliB; 16th June 2011 at 02:54 AM.

Default Re: What are the all time greats, name your favourite five or so women's fragrances

Top classics:

Mitsouko
    Shalimar
    Vol de Nuit
    L'heure Bleue
    No 5
    Apres L'ondee

I haven't smelled Nahema and Chamade Pour Femme
    Last edited by volley2; 15th June 2011 at 08:08 AM.

Default Re: What are the all time greats, name your favourite five or so women's fragrances

Vol de Nuit
    Tabac Blond
    En Avion
    Scandal (Lanvin) or Cuir de Russie (Chanel)
    + practically any other Guerlain classic... let's say Shalimar, vintage extrait here for its smoky drydown lingering forever on fabric.

For me:

Chanel Cuir de Russie parfum
    Guerlain Jicky
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Guerlain Chamade
    Nina Ricci L'Air du Temp vintage
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks to all who have and will respond. I'm setting out your choices in a spreadsheet so that I can summarise and give everyone an idea of what has come out of this.

Chanel - Cuir de Russie
    Guerlain - L'Heure Bleue
    Robert Piguet - Fracas
    Dior - Diorella
    MDCI- Promesse de L'aube

Blog Entries

For me, bearing in mind l haven't tried all of the greats mentioned here;

Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue
    Fracas
    Carnal Flower
    Vintage Diorissimo
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

My favourite five:

YSL - Opium (although possibly not the current formulation)
    Lancome - Poeme
    Shiseido - Zen (gold)
    YSL - Paris
    Dior - Miss Dior

My classic five:

Chanel No 5
    Mitsouko
    L'Heure Bleue
    Shalimar
    Aromatics Elixir

I too am a relative newcomer to the world of perfume appreciation - about a year ago, I was looking for a new rose perfume and stumbled happily upon Basenotes, since when I haven't looked back!
    My classic choices would be:
    Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue
    Chanel No 5
    N'aimez que Moi
    Paris

But - as you are discovering for yourself - the problem is that so many perfumes are now being reformulated. All the above have been worked over and in most cases spoiled. So what was a perfume classic may today be unrecognizable. Take Paris, for example: the current version, after YSL was bought out, contains very little of the original huge, gorgeous, rose and violet melange that made it so distinctive. What is left now is the Ghost of Paris Past. So when you are sampling these fragrances, don't be surprised if the current reality doesn't match up with your expectations.

On any other forum, I suspect I would be flamed within an inch of my life for saying this, but Basenoters are so nice, I can admit this without fear: I don't care for any of the great classics with one exception: Apres L'ondee. For me, there's something, I don't know, too consciously perfume-y or "French" about Guerlain, Chanel, Caron, and the other classic houses. I can appreciate them. I continue to try and re-try them. At this point, though, I just don't like them.

(Whew! I said it. And I didn't even duck!)

I've discovered that my sweet spot is modern niche orientals, so it's not surprising that many of my favorites tend to come from Serge Lutens. There's something about Sheldrake's juice that just does it for me.

My 5 current favorites are:
    Serge Lutens Sarrasins
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods
    Givenchy Organza Indecence

Close Runners-Up
    Robert Piguet Visa
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe
    Etat Libre d'Orange Divin' Enfant
    Serge Lutens Bois de Violette

Oh boy, I hate these pick your favourites. LOL
    Mitsouko
    Jicky
    Ambre Sultan
    Alpona
    Cadolle No9

Close Runners
    Daim Blond
    Shalimar (pre 2000 only)
    No 22
    Vol de Nuit

My choices could change by the end of the day when I reconsider
    DONNA

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

But isn't that the beauty, ExtremeKF, about true fragrance fans? We perceive that personal preference reigns above all and help each other find those happy scents, even when we don't share the same predilections. If the rest of the world could operate with such understanding ...

24 Faubourg
    Mitsouko
    L'Heure Bleue
    Jicky
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Mitsouko
    Vol de Nuit
    Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue
    Jicky
    Narcisse Noir
    Chanel No 5
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    En Avion
    Fracas

Me too -Donna- these 'pick your favorites' - there are more than 10 faves for me .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

You forgot No. 22, Mims

My list of the fragrances that my Wife wears that I really love.....
    1. Flower Bomb
    2. Scent of Peace
    3. Union Square
    4. Spring Flowers
    5. Love In White
    6. Sensi by Armani
    7. Romance by RL
    8. Code Pour Femme
    9. Love by RL
    10. 5th Avenua
    Gary

Blog Entries

Modern / Legacy

5. 24 Faubourg / Miss Dior
    4. Narciso Rodriguez for Her / Fracas
    3. Angel / Chanel. No 5
    2. Dune / Youth Dew
    1. Cuir de Russie / Cuir de Russie

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Jicky
    Bandit
    No.19
    Shalimar
    Bois Des Iles

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Interesting question. Some perfumes I own and would happily see my son have for his future wife or just keep for posterity:

Classic

L'Heure Bleue EDP & Parfum
    Apres l'Ondee (EDT but after trying the Extrait this is a make do option, really)
    Sous le Vent - it's a reinterpretation of the 1930s version but fantastic.
    Shalimar Parfum (vintage in particular)
    Mitsouko (vintage PdT / Extrait)
    Jicky Parfum

Relatively recent releases I consider 'present or future classics' - purely personal, of course

Profumo (Acqua di Parma)
    Une Fleur de Cassie (Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle)
    Homage Attar & Lyric Woman (Amouage)
    L'Abeille, Attrape Coeur & Insolence Eau de Parfum (Guerlain)
    Odalisque & Sacrebleu (Parfums de Nicolai) altho I believe these have been made IFRA compliant.
    L'Heure Fougueuse IV (Cartier). I wonder what Mathilde Laurent will come up with for the rest of this series - I hope she revisits her Guet Appens idea now that Attrape Coeur is discontinued.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 30th June 2011 at 05:10 PM.

My favorites, you can tell I like sweet and spicy combos, but I'm sure this could change any given day.

Fendi Theorema
    Caron Parfum Sacre
    Caron Aimez Moi
    Mauboussin Histoire d'Eau

Even though it's not a fragrance I wear, Chanel No. 5 will head my list. Just because it such an amazing scent ( and I so wish I could wear it)!

Chanel No. 5
    Mitsouko (the love of my life)
    Chanel's Cuir de Russie
    Vol de Nuit
    L'Air du Temps (vintage)

Basenotes Plus

The world would be a lesser place without:
    All the early Guerlains
    Habanita
    Fendi Theorema
    Caron Parfum Sacre
    YSL - Y
    YSL NU
    Dior- Dioressence
    Coco, No 5 and Eau Premiere
    Mauboussin
    L'arte di Gucci
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Thanks to all who have given me their ideas. Keep em coming, everyone. The more, the merrier. I may have to do 2 or 3 spreadsheets to allow for the classics, as well as the contemporaries. I was really hoping that some of the stunning, classic of the future, contemporaries would be mentioned. But then, we are a forum of perfume lovers, most of whom begin with and often stay with the great classics of the past. I know I have.

I'm about to venture into sampling some of the niche perfumes, so I may broaden my perception of what the all time greats may be, in time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    But isn't that the beauty, ExtremeKF, about true fragrance fans? We perceive that personal preference reigns above all and help each other find those happy scents, even when we don't share the same predilections. If the rest of the world could operate with such understanding ...
    You are so right, Quarry! I've benefited greatly from the suggestions, knowledge, and kindess of Basenoters. I love this forum.

And besides personal preference, I do firmly believe that perfumes do not smell the same on different people! My favorite, vintage Miss Balmain smelt very differently on me that on other people who wore it. I liked it far better on myself And later when I was at the Royal College of Art, I got a whiff of my Miss Balmain, and it turned out that a friend of mine wore it and it smelled exactly the same on her as it did on me.

So here's my list of five favorites:
    -Vintage Miss Balmain by Balmain
    -Chantilly by Houbigant
    - #19 Chanel
    - Soir de Lune Sisley
    - Balmain de Balmain by... guess who? Balmain
    - 24 Faubourg Hermès
    - vintage Jolie Madame Balmain
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Chanel No. 5
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Guerlain Apres L'Ondee
    Jean Patou's Joy
    Coty's L'Origan
    L'Artisan Parfumeur's Fleur d'Oranger (can't be passed down but had to be mentioned)
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Bijan Peter Bohm

Obsession Jean Guichard

Raffinée

L'Interdit Francis Fabron

Amarige Dominique Ropion

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Vol de Nuit
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
    Guerlain Apres l'Ondee
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Guerlain Mitsouko (this one is really growing on me)
    Do you see a trend here? Gotta love Guerlain!!
    Chanel No. 5
    YSL Opium (older bottle)don't care for the new version
    Jean Patou Joy
    Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps (vintage) the 1st perfume my husband gave me
    Chanel Bois des Iles

My personal thinking does not really run classic.

What could be a classic, but won't"
    Mauboussin by Mauboussin
    FM Iris Poudre

Could become a classic:
    Chanel 31 rue Cambon
    Last edited by cello; 29th June 2011 at 02:15 AM.

Classics (in no particular order):
    YSL Opium
    Tabac Blond
    Coco
    Bois des Iles
    Alpona

Others running close (also in no particular order):
    Lutens Encens et Lavande
    Lutens Chergui
    Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    Tom Ford Japon Noir
    Profumum Fiore d'Ambra
    Amouage Memoir Woman
    CdG 2
    Caron Poivre
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Banned

L'Heure Bleue
    Shalimar
    Fracas
    Poison
    Obsession

These are all in the face, but then again - why not?

Mitsouko
    L'heure bleue
    Shalimar
    Feminite du bois
    Chergui
    .....and also # 88 and Cuir de Russie and Bois des iles as running very close .

Took my time to post my response to this one: there are definitely more than five and the list is constantly changing, but here goes:

1) Jean Couturier Coriandre;
    2) Chanel Bois des Iles;
    3) Torrente L'Or;
    4) Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse;
    5) Mauboussin de Mauboussin.
    Last edited by Twolf; 1st July 2011 at 01:14 AM.

I'm basing this on my last ten years of perfume collecting, the ones I return to again and again:

Thierry Mugler Alien
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Gucci EDP
    Caron Tabac Blond
    Guerlain Mitsouko

I'm basing my list on scents that are special to me, the ones that I spray and it feels like I'm greeting a much-loved friend. I wouldn't claim 'all time classic' for any of them, and I'm conscious, like others here, that if you ask me again in 6 months the list may different (but probably not that much):

31 Rue Cambon
    Givenchy III (vintage or ‘mythical’ reissue)
    L’Air du Temps (vintage)
    Bulgari Black
    Cristalle

Runners up:

Mitsouko
    Ormonde Woman
    Pleasures