Code of Conduct

Default The BEST Perry Ellis?

Hi all,

I am from the UK where Perry Ellis is relatively unknown, but I stumbled across the some bottles for sale at a good price and took the plunge...

I have Perry M, 360 Red and the lesser known Perry for Him. I enjoy all of the fragrances, but out of the three Perry M wins hands down.

I would just like to know whether you think I am missing out on some other amazing, unique Perry Ellis frag (Over the entire mens range) that is definitely worth buying?

Regards,

Adam.

Default Re: The BEST Perry Ellis?

Would be interested to know where in the UK you found these I've been looking everywhere to sample them. Especially those that Estella Warren used to advertise

I haven't tried, but what do you guys think of Perry Ellis Red? Heard a lot of good things about it.

I just searched amazon.co.uk and eBay.

360 Red is basically an Aqua di Gio clone for half the price. The only problem I have with it is the lasting power on my skin, I get probably an hour from it. Perry M on the other hand lasts 8 hours on my skin and smells very similar to Chanel Allure.

Wow, 1 hour....hmmm I heard the longevity is pretty good on 360 Red actually, must be different from person to person. I have Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin so don't want an anise substitute with Perry M

Thanks, Mr Jones! Seems plenty available on both those sites

Yeah around an hour on my skin, it's so light, maybe I bought a dud?
    I have Lolita lempicka and in my opinion Perry M smells very different. You could easily have both in your collection.
    Perry M is more of a linear scent and doesn't have anything like the Opening or drydown that Lempicka has. (to my nose anyway.)

360 Red. Smells a little better than Aqua Di Gio to me, for cheap! Lot of complements.

Sur la Plage

Perry Ellis for Men (original) was/is the only Perry Ellis fragrance worth owning/purchasing IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
    I would just like to know whether you think I am missing out on some other amazing, unique Perry Ellis frag (Over the entire mens range) that is definitely worth buying?
    No.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Perry Ellis for Men (original) was/is the only Perry Ellis fragrance worth owning/purchasing IMO.
    Agreed.....but I do like Red for Men as well and I don't worry about the longevity. It's cheap and atomizers solve the reapplication problem.

I wouldn't pay for the new version of the original, to be honest, even though it is so cheap. It's just too low quality for what I want these days. The original, which you can only tell, AFAIK, from the facsimile signature on the front of the box, is like a refined version of Quorum, and well worth buying if you can get it at a reasonable price (and like those kinds of frags, obviously).

I have tried 360 Degrees for Men and the flankers White, Red, Black and Reserve. The original and Reserve were my least favorite. White and Red are both better than the classics they were "inspired by" but my absolute favorite is 360 Degrees Black for Men. It's a sweet leather and tea that I really enjoy. It's the most versatile one of the bunch too. Great longevity.

How about the one that won a FIFI award and was Perry Ellis's only men's fragrance for 10 years?

Personally, I love the smell of Perry Ellis Portfolio, I think it's really underrated based on smell itself. The longevity is absolutely horrible. But, the smell, is a light, sweet (but not overly), fantastic fresh pear note, that highlights the fragrance.

Also Perry Ellis from 2008, was a very complete fragrance. I tend to go from loving it, to hating it, to liking it, and all over again. I think there's a note in there that comes off as a synthetic pumpkin spice or something that doesn't sit well with me. Overall though, it's along the lines of Daddy Yankee, and Usher. Fruity, but a bit more mature.

I thought 360 White was horrible. An even more synthetic version of the already overly synthetic smelling Le Male.

red seems to have some character... the rest are forgettable
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

I like the original Perry Ellis for Men and the minty, cool Perry Ellis Reserve for Men.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    The original fragrance is now known as "Anniversary" and you can pick it up on Ebay for not alot of money. It is a wonderful spice bomb with killer longevity. At least on me it is. I have worn it for years and recently repurchased it. To me it is unchanged, But I do not have vintage juice to do a comparison....I don't get the Quorum comparison, Quorum has a definite soapy quality to it and Perry Ellis Anniversary does not. Also, it I believe is the only fragrance that Perry Ellis himself approved of before his untimely death. Perry Ellis was a fashion GENIUS with impeccable taste!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    The original fragrance is now known as "Anniversary" and you can pick it up on Ebay for not alot of money. It is a wonderful spice bomb with killer longevity...
    You clearly do not have the same formulation I do. There is no strong spicy quality to my real old bottle, but rather it's a typical "old school" blend. From what I understand, the Anniversary version was released not long ago, perhaps 2005 (which would be 30 years), and I can't imagine it being similar to the old version I have, because it would have cost too much to make. The new version I have is identical to the old, except for the facsimile signature on the old box. BN's directory has the following note pyramid:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Galbanum

Middle Notes
    Rose, Carnation

Base Notes
    Leather, Moss, Vanilla

This seems right for my new version, but the Estonian site's notes (a lot more) seem right for my old version. I'm not a huge fan of the new one, probably because it's fairly simple but also a bit "synthetic," and that's not a good combination for me. It's okay, but I'd almost always rather be wearing something else (that is, "better") at this point. I'm curious to know if the Anniversary edition is just a different packaging of the new version I have, but since I can't imagine it meeting my current standards and being significantly different from anything I already have, I haven't put any real effort into trying to sample it.

Quote Originally Posted by pk116 View Post
    How about the one that won a FIFI award and was Perry Ellis's only men's fragrance for 10 years?
    Is that Perry Ellis Night??

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    You clearly do not have the same formulation I do. There is no strong spicy quality to my real old bottle, but rather it's a typical "old school" blend. From what I understand, the Anniversary version was released not long ago, perhaps 2005 (which would be 30 years), and I can't imagine it being similar to the old version I have, because it would have cost too much to make. The new version I have is identical to the old, except for the facsimile signature on the old box. BN's directory has the following note pyramid:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Galbanum

Middle Notes
    Rose, Carnation

Base Notes
    Leather, Moss, Vanilla

This seems right for my new version, but the Estonian site's notes (a lot more) seem right for my old version. I'm not a huge fan of the new one, probably because it's fairly simple but also a bit "synthetic," and that's not a good combination for me. It's okay, but I'd almost always rather be wearing something else (that is, "better") at this point. I'm curious to know if the Anniversary edition is just a different packaging of the new version I have, but since I can't imagine it meeting my current standards and being significantly different from anything I already have, I haven't put any real effort into trying to sample it.
    Go to this linked page http://www.perfume.net/category/perry-ellis and take a look....my bottle looks EXACTLY like the one pictured and to my nose the fragrance matches the listed notes....especially the pepper, carnation and black patchouli.... I don't get much of the green apple note but I absolutely love this fragrance!!! It is certainly one of my top 10....maybe even top 5!

Yes, the bottles look exactly the same. It's the boxes that have the difference. Anyway, I went over to fragrantica.com and looked up the notes there, now that they listed it, and one reviewer said that the Anniversary edition smells nothing like the original, so it sounds like the Anniversary, which has a different box, and the old-looking box that lacks the facsimile signature, are the same formulation. It's definitely better than the vast majority of designer offerings of recent years, but there is something a little cloying and "synthetic" after a while. I may try diluting it to see if that helps, but I think the new formulation is not a good blind buy (sample first!). The original is a good blind buy if you like Quorum type frags.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Yes, the bottles look exactly the same. It's the boxes that have the difference. Anyway, I went over to fragrantica.com and looked up the notes there, now that they listed it, and one reviewer said that the Anniversary edition smells nothing like the original, so it sounds like the Anniversary, which has a different box, and the old-looking box that lacks the facsimile signature, are the same formulation. It's definitely better than the vast majority of designer offerings of recent years, but there is something a little cloying and "synthetic" after a while. I may try diluting it to see if that helps, but I think the new formulation is not a good blind buy (sample first!). The original is a good blind buy if you like Quorum type frags.
    It's funny how differently people perceive/smell things....to me from what I remember of my original bottle...it is the same fragrance...perhaps the original had a touch more vanilla in it...but very close to my recollection....I can't stand Quorum... so to me I don't get the comparison...as there is a very soapy quality to Quorum where I don't get that from PE original...either way I STILL love it!

Remember, when I talk about frags I am talking beyond the top notes, which I try to avoid.

By far, 360 Red is my favorite Perry Ellis fragrance (I own ADG, but to me 360 Red is a better, more intense, and longer lasting take on ADG). My next favorite from Perry Ellis would be Reserve.

Perry Ellis M

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    The original fragrance is now known as "Anniversary" and you can pick it up on Ebay for not alot of money. It is a wonderful spice bomb with killer longevity. At least on me it is. I have worn it for years and recently repurchased it. To me it is unchanged, But I do not have vintage juice to do a comparison....I don't get the Quorum comparison, Quorum has a definite soapy quality to it and Perry Ellis Anniversary does not. Also, it I believe is the only fragrance that Perry Ellis himself approved of before his untimely death. Perry Ellis was a fashion GENIUS with impeccable taste!!!
    I am absolutely certain that the original Perry Ellis formulation from the 1980s is not the same as the "anniversary" edition. The '80s version in the squat bottle was my signature scent for perhaps three to five years. The anniversay is a much more synthetic version that is reminiscent of the original, but is not the same.

Other threads have opined that Perry Ellis went though several reformulations. I really don't profess any knowledge of that.

Pretty sure this is a victim of the typical fate of many '80s formulations (see Halston 1-12, for example) that are still made, and still smell a bit like the originals, but are now done with cheaper ingredients, sell for a lower price, and no longer are worthy of the name.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I like Perry Ellis fragrances, but the first one is still the best. I have the Anniversary edition, and it smells like the 80's in a bottle to me like a much better version of Halston 1-12, and it seems to match the smell of what everyone says it should smell like. It is also in my top 10, and I don't get all hung up on reformulations. I can't see the vintage version being so much better that it would make the newer version smell like crap, because the new version is awesome. I also like Perry Ellis 360 White, and I like it much better than Cuba Brown(another common Le Male knockoff). I like Perry Ellis Portfolio as well.

I'm glad you like the modern anniversary edition, but trust me, the original was much better, at least to my nose; like the difference between Cool Water and GIT. I am not one of those that glorify the past formulas and take the view that all reformulations are crap (the DHI reformulation was great, for example), but I personally find the original much, much better in this case. But it's really a moot point since it's not made any more and is only available on Ebay for outrageous prices. If you like the current version, that's great, especially since it's very inexpensive.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Banned
    Blog Entries

360 red and white, hands down. great adg and jean paul clones with great longevity and projection

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Caesar View Post
    360 Red. Smells a little better than Aqua Di Gio to me, for cheap! Lot of complements.
    I've heard that a lot of people opt for 360 Red over AdG. PE Reserve is also a decent, casual office scent that should get many compliments from the ladies.

I would also give Portfolio Green a shot, if you come across it for a good price. I like it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    360 red and white, hands down. great adg and jean paul clones with great longevity and projection
    360 White is very sweet. I traded mine to SirSlarty because it gave me a headache. If you like sweet it is worth a try.

360* original