Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Amouage Honour Man: Review

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Has anyone else who hasn't yet commented here tried this? Would love to hear more thoughts on it.
    I am no expert in deciphering notes. I'll just describe what I am smelling. In the opening I get a blast of different peppery aroma anchored with churchy incense and woods, very spicy opening and aromatic. This is very short loved unfortunately. I wish it lasted longer as this is the most interesting part for me. As it dries down, it becomes a soft, creamy, woody scent. Projection is a bit weak. However, everytime I get a whiff of it in the air, it's very sensual.

I have worn Honour a few times now and have an initial impression, but still open - I'd like to spend more time with it.

The use of the aromatic pepper note(s) in the opening is the most masterful I have come across. I am not a fan of Bang or Poivre Samarcande (too literal) but here I'm getting the fragrance of fresh peppercorns releasing their natural aroma in the same way they do in a wok in Szechuan cooking. The mix of elemi (I presume) and floral notes with the pepper conjure up the heady fragrance you get near a good Szechuan or Hunanese chef to me. Incredibly beautiful.

There is a slightly milky / powdery quality that emerges as things transition over an hour or two into the woodsy base. At first I thought this was a bit of a wham bam thankyou ma'am one two punch like Memoir where you go from the amazing green opening into a stark ashy frankincense. In other words - Opening then Conclusion.

I have come to appreciate the overall flow of Memoir more with time and I am finding the same now with Honour. First impressions were (a) spice, (b) woodsy. More or less what it says on the box. But now I am finding that the beautiful opening, while fading (as you would expect - that's why they're called 'opening'), doesn't go entirely and the essence of that spicy quality stays for the duration as the cedar (?) woods combo comes up and takes centre stage.

I'm not big on woods bases, to be honest, which is why I'm not raving about Honour, but that's just personal taste. The quality is there - there is absolutely none of the nasty 'varnish on cheap stained plywood' (or 'pencil shavings / hamster cage' stuff, for that matter) woody-amber disaster that so many 'masculines' seem to descend into going on here. If you like woods handled well to conclude your experience with then you'll be fine. In fact more than fine.

I think Honour is a great addition to the Amouage portfolio and I have a feeling a lot of guys will pick up on it because it is definitely 'an easy wear' as some have mentioned already and first hour+ is really something to behold

Banned

I need to get this... all of my purchases are blind buys and this one seems like a good option!

I've had a 2.5ml sample for a while now and am still working my way through it. I've been testing it out alongside Memoir Man (which I prefer so far). But as in the original post, I need more time with this. Very complex, and I'm not sure if it's FBW or even large decant worthy yet.

After 3 days of wear...

1). Beautiful, but I so want this to project and last more than it does. It is quite possibly the most subtle Amouage I have ever experienced (a reason I have never jumped on the Dia bandwagon either). I absolutely adored smelling it over several hours on paper, and it seems to do well on fabric (my shirt sleeve has been shoved against my nose all morning - but if it weren't for that... I would forget I was wearing it). It absolutely fades on my skin. Anybody else having this experience?

2) The opening is the highlight. I agree that it is my favorite pepper. (Hate BANG! and most other synthetic takes on the note, but I do enjoy L'Artisan's Poivre Piquant quite a bit, if in the mood, only wishing it were less linear). Honour is more beautiful than both, and less peppery to me (not BRASH) than other reviews might suggest. It's fresh, but I expected spicy.

3) Linear, this is NOT. As Sculpture of Soul has so beautifully detailed, this one feels different at every 15 minute stage (I just wish there were more longevity to these stages). It can often feel like a completely different fragrance from the one I recalled spraying, and it is the scent I would be least likely to identify correctly on a shirt thrown to the hamper and retrieved a few days later. I just can't seem figure out what is happening here - one minute fresh, the next... honeyed milk. Yet again - why my best experience has been sniffing a sample card consistently.

Does anyone testing this know the Histoires de Parfum line well? I sense a real similarity with the Ambre DNA of that line with the heart of Honour (only about 10 minutes in the short lifespan of this). Ambre 114, 1828, 1725 - I keep getting hints of these fragrances at various stages of Honour.

4). The woody end is lackluster. And after only 2-3 hours... the whole fragrance, perhaps in an act of Honour, has committed suicide. Nowhere to be found.

We both need more time... me to reflect upon it... and Honour itself - with it's disappointing staying power on my skin... just to give me the chance to hang out with it for a while. I find it soothing and quite beautiful, but it's unfortunate that nobody smells this on me - Rare for an Amouage. I perfectly understand why this has been described by so many as EASY TO WEAR and VERSATILE. If nobody can smell it, how could it ever be inappropriate?

In the end... A wonderful case study as an expertly blended comfort scent, but I fear that the world may be a bit too loud for this quiet little gem to get any notice.

PS - Why we're talking new releases from this house, the semi-new (or more accurately stated... only now widely available) EPIC EXTRAIT DE PARFUM is my my current fav from Amouage, trumping even the Attars. Don't let the marketing fool you - it's more masculine than Gold Man, Silver, or Lyric Man - and breathtakingly gorgeous. Spicey, woody, floral, and oh-so-complex. Sweet, yet dry. It grabs you, but carries you smoothly through the day. Sensual, yet refined. Hot, yet sophisticated. Never in my life have I received more compliments and "Wow... what is THAT?" comments from people using only a single spray to the wrist that lasts all day. Give it a try. The oil-rich concentration is such that, like their attars, 50ml will last you forever.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 30th August 2011 at 12:44 PM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

^ Nice!

I'm leaning towards buying Honour now but suddenly this Epic Extrait sounds very interesting.

If you look at my favorits at the moment list (below), do you think Honour man will be a safe blind-buy for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    If you look at my favorits at the moment list (below), do you think Honour man will be a safe blind-buy for me?
    Although I don't know Hermes Ambre Narguile, but from your list I think: no, not safe.

Fumehood - excellent review! I can totally relate to your words. A few times when I was wearing it it seemed to disappear completely. In my experience, it excelled in the heat. It really came alive and blossomed, and was far more noticeable and the longevity never seemed to suffer. In my experience it has great longevity, but moderate sillage which quickly tapers off into the 'skin scent' zone - but heat remedies the latter while the former is essentially unaffected. In fact, it subjectively increases longevity since the scent can actually be detected for a longer amount of time, even though in the objective sense I'm sure that longevity is reduced.

My sample is 100% empty now and I'm awaiting the opportunity to pick up another before I can decide one way or another on the scent. A few times when I wore it in cooler weather the heart seemed a bit 'muddled', and I don't know if that was due to the change in temperature, a random change in my perception (I have a few chemical sensitivities that have the bad habit of coming and going seemingly at random), or something else.

I'm also very curious to see how the scent feels and behaves come winter. One thing I'm learning with Amouage is that to even consider a bottle it needs to be a scent that can be worn year round. I've only used maybe 2ml of Lyric Man and the same amount of Memoir Man since getting my bottles due to their seasonal nature, and I just can't justify 100, or probably even 50ml of a scent that costs so much and has limited wearability.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Made up my mind. Must have for me. I love the quality of Amouage but never bought one. Not even Jubilation. But this is perfect for day time wearing and a good fall scent. A quiet aura but very sensual.

I also made my mind up on this beast recently and, it's a no from me.

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    I also made my mind up on this beast recently and, it's a no from me.
    A no for me too.

Honour Man is another perfect example than Amouage has not a clue how to make an EDP. Another joke offering. How this is the same company that makes masterpieces like Homage, Tribute and Epic Woman Extrait is beyond belief. I bought a 10ml decant of Honour Man and you need to apply 5ml just to make it last until you walk to your garage. This is a lackluster, mediocre overpriced celebrity scent at best. If I was Christopher Chong, I would be ashamed of Honour Man.

anyone who owns this in the US interested in trading a sample for XXV, Memoir or OPUS IV? pm me.

-A thumb up from me. I think Memoir is better, but Honour is also very nice. It`s like a little brother to Epic man. Much more smooth and wearable. Longevity seems very good.

Anyone else get the similarities to Epic in the dry down? A "Epic light"..

Well, they both feature nutmeg. I get a lot of nutmeg in Epic but I didn't really notice it as a stand-alone note in Honour.

I guess the woodiness of the drydown could make it somewhat an "Epic Light" but I find it much creamier and smoother than Epic. They both have a nice frankincense note too, but each is rendered with a completely different palette, so to speak. I love Epic, but it's just -too much- on most days. Honour is much easier on the senses.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Well, they both feature nutmeg. I get a lot of nutmeg in Epic but I didn't really notice it as a stand-alone note in Honour.

I guess the woodiness of the drydown could make it somewhat an "Epic Light" but I find it much creamier and smoother than Epic. They both have a nice frankincense note too, but each is rendered with a completely different palette, so to speak. I love Epic, but it's just -too much- on most days. Honour is much easier on the senses.
    -Agreed. Epic is too much nuclear-strong for my taste. Honour is smooth and wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Honour Man is another perfect example than Amouage has not a clue how to make an EDP. Another joke offering. How this is the same company that makes masterpieces like Homage, Tribute and Epic Woman Extrait is beyond belief. I bought a 10ml decant of Honour Man and you need to apply 5ml just to make it last until you walk to your garage. This is a lackluster, mediocre overpriced celebrity scent at best. If I was Christopher Chong, I would be ashamed of Honour Man.
    considering your poor skin chemistry cannot hold this fragrance for more than 30 seconds, I'm surprised you consider yourself to be in a position to offer any opinion, other than the obvious fact that it doesn't last on you!!
    This appears to be just another case of you spitting your dummy out, because it doesn't work for you.........
    This is a very addictive fragrance....the more I wear it, the more I appreciate it......plus I find the longevity to be excellent, but, that's just my twopenneth!!

Sound Scents

Has anyone else who hasn't yet commented here tried this? Would love to hear more thoughts on it.
    Just got a nice 10ml decant delivered of this one today. I will reserve my final verdict until I get a few full wearings out of it, but so far I love what I am smelling. The pepper notes are quite intense up top, then mixing with a somewhat subdued geranium that works great together. Frankincense and vetiver round out the notes I can detect with the scent... I get a peppery semi-floral incense vibe to it. Bottom line is it all comes together beautifully and could easily be my second favorite from the line after Dia Man. I would agree about the versatility, btw... Maybe a hair less versatile than Dia, IMO, but much more-so than the other Amouage scents I have smelled, even the also excellent Jubilation XXV that I love but rarely wear. Good stuff. If my initial impressions hold after a few more wearings, this one will go on my full bottle purchase list (although my 10 ml decant should last a bit first). Thanks for the great review on the scent SoS!
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Thanks for the great review on the scent SoS!
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I've got to get myself another sample one of these days and see if it makes my FBW-list. I was still iffy about the idea when my first sample ran out. I knew I liked the scent a lot, but I'm really only trying to buy "must haves" and perhaps more importantly, scents I will actually wear often. Otherwise, I'm going to start going the decant route as it just gets too expensive too fast; well, that and most of my bottles are still 95% full or more.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

SOS ,after reading this thread i feel that you can achieve great depths in spirituality.

As for scent,its definitely on my sample list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_SHAVER View Post
    considering your poor skin chemistry cannot hold this fragrance for more than 30 seconds, I'm surprised you consider yourself to be in a position to offer any opinion, other than the obvious fact that it doesn't last on you!!
    This appears to be just another case of you spitting your dummy out, because it doesn't work for you.........
    This is a very addictive fragrance....the more I wear it, the more I appreciate it......plus I find the longevity to be excellent, but, that's just my twopenneth!!
    I'm surprised you feel I can't offer an opinion because of near zero lasting power. I wasn't aware of other cases of me spitting my dummy out. I always thought I was entitled to my twopenneth, but I guess because my opinion differs from yours, it should be considered dumb.

What your not aware of is how many perfume manufacturers send me samples because they value my opinion. In the end my opinion is my opinion, so please refrain from attacking me personally. Just address your opinion as being different from mine.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm surprised you feel I can't offer an opinion because of near zero lasting power. Please refrain from attacking me personally. Just address your opinion as being different from mine.
    No personal attack intended here... but I will say your longevity experience was very different from my own. I now have a complete wearing of it under my belt and it lasted well over 12 hours, only yeilding after a shower with only 2 sprays (and I probably should have used only one as it is quite potent stuff). It is interesting how each individual's skin chemistry can do weird things with some scents sometimes...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Now that Parfums raffy has this, I've finally got another sample of it on the way (also grabbed a sample of Opus IV which I've had a hankering to retest. The dregs that I can smell in the old sample vial smell much better than it used to, and I wasn't picking up any of the bubblegum vibe I noted in my earlier review of Opus IV, so there may be hope yet for that scent! ).

I'm absolutely smitten with Bond's Washington Square at the moment though, and can realistically only swing one big scent purchase this year. I'm not sure Honour or Opus IV can unseat Washington Square for me (yes, Washington Square really is that good, imo!)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I chimed in on this a few weeks back... and despite my initial complaints, have enthusiastically purchased a bottle. I wonder if this is one of those scents containing an element that you become MORE SENSITIVE TO in time. By the end of the sample, I had grown to appreciate the complexity of this scent far more.

I maintain that it is a comfort scent - an introspective and personal one - and not the Amouage you should be seeking if you want to project that regal, lush, vibe of absolute quality that is best done by others in the line. Though I am wearing scents in the evening for others (and rarely wear them in the day - I'm a school teacher, after all). More often than not, I would choose to wear an Amouage, attar or otherwise, for myself. Nothing I love better than to arrive home from work and blast a single spray just to experience it without outside distractions. It has replaced my nightly glass of wine, and helped me shed a few kilos in the process. :-)

With Honour Man, the longevity seems much stronger now (and happily my new bottle is continuing along that trend). Still - test this one first. It probably should not be your first and only from this house, but it is a beautiful scent. I've been layering it with some others to play around with the notes. One particularly interesting potency comes from a combination with 7, a scent from the Spanish Fragrance Firm, Loewe. The pepper (along with nutmeg and clove) is stronger there, but the incense in 7 is smoothed by the creaminess of Honour, and the woods in the base of both complement each other. To clarify, however, Honour works beautifully on its own. I just prefer a bit more projection.
    Last edited by FumeHood; 26th September 2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

I smelled this today - finally made its way to Germany - and it was a bit of a let down.

I could have sworn there's violet in it but the creamy base is a little sickening to me. I dont know why, this effect has occured a couple of times before but this is definitely something I will not add to my collection. But then again, 180 are known to happen
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    I smelled this today - finally made its way to Germany - and it was a bit of a let down.

I could have sworn there's violet in it but the creamy base is a little sickening to me. I dont know why, this effect has occured a couple of times before but this is definitely something I will not add to my collection. But then again, 180 are known to happen
    I'm still awaiting my new sample so I don't know if my perception of the scent will have changed (or perhaps, solidified, as while using the original sample I felt I could never fully pin down the scent). All I know is that when I was sampling it for this review (8 days in a row + a handful of other wearings), the scent behaved VERY differently on many occasions. I too sometimes found the base to be a bit sickening - it had a weird metallic/coumarin effect, like very sweet metallic hay. Other times I got far more incense and vetiver. Some wearings seemed smooth and evoked the thought of, both the image and texture of, white jade. Others were scratchier. Drier.

Sometimes I got noticeable floral elements - violet, carnation (a buttery carnation), jasmine tea. Other times, much less so. It's so very odd.

I'm wondering if there's a synthetic in there that is new or rarely used and we (collectively) are having a hard time pinning it down. I can't wait to resample it.

edit: Just realized that my SotD, Skarb, shares some of the smooth woody facets with Honour. Skarb is far more earthy - kind of wheat-like, or a very unsweet hay - but like Honour it integrates a subtle incense into a smooth wood note.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I respect this fragrance, but I wan`t buy it. To me, it`s like a light, milky, Epic man. Honour man = "Epic light"

Somebody over at Fragrantica had listed Bvlgari Man as a "smells similar to" scent for Honour Man. I originally thought the comparison was odd but after a bit of thought I can see the similarities in structure - both being white woody scents that are somehow both dry and creamy at the same time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Someone Please help. I just put my nose on this today and while its very nice and indeed sophisticated and creamy i swear ive smelled something VERY similar before. Can you guys tell me what other frag this reminds you of? I swear Ill know it when I hear it.

Resampling this again recently and I get a sort of candle wax vibe throughout. Smells similar to the candle wax/white smoke accord in 2 Man, but this is woodier and less overtly frankincense-y. It seems colder to me now. I get the images of stones, candles, a distant incense. A deserted old castle, or maybe the inside of a tomb. It reads SO much differently to me than my initial review.

Chemical sensitivities and changing olfactory perceptions are the darndest things!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Resampling this again recently and I get a sort of candle wax vibe throughout. Smells similar to the candle wax/white smoke accord in 2 Man, but this is woodier and less overtly frankincense-y.
    Agree

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    Someone Please help. I just put my nose on this today and while its very nice and indeed sophisticated and creamy i swear ive smelled something VERY similar before. Can you guys tell me what other frag this reminds you of? I swear Ill know it when I hear it.
    Chanel Allure Homme Blanche

Thats what has stopped me from buying a bottle, that sickly note. I think the opening is great, a very good pepper note mixed with geranium but the dry down seems to change from warm and comforting to nauseating. Strange.

I ordered this blind the other night - based on the reviews and the notion that this is an Epic lite. Really love Epic but it is too heavy. Have worn it on days I have no meetings. I love Amouage and hope this becomes a signature day scent.

AromiErotici

Honour Man opens with a spicy duo of pepper along with an extremely short lived citrus. At least it seemed like a citric accord, but it was like a drive-by with pepper kicking the doors open and firing with both barrels. Nothing loud mind you, but very noticeable. You have to remember that this house is all about the smoothness, so obnoxiousness has no choice but to step off.

The incense note is apparent from the outset and is joined by a deftly used nutmeg. I truly admire the way this note is used here. The pepper remains and now spices up the frankincense accord. The nutmeg is intermittent on me. One moment I smell it, the next I don't. I like it jumping in and out of the progression.

The base notes of cedar and vetiver take their sweet time making a contribution. Honour Man seems to unfold rather slowly on my skin and I'm not bitching about it either. When it does finally enter the fray, it goes almost unnoticed because of how long it took to materialize. It's subtle and smooth like the rest of the composition and adds an earthy wood aspect to an already respectable accord. The listed patchouli has me baffled since I cannot smell it at all.

The extended drydown affords the wearer a hint of tonka and a dash of musky spice. The aforementioned players are all still alive and kicking and the scent gets even smoother by this point. This is an extremely comfortable drydown and the balance of notes is very good indeed.

Honour Man is a very respectable fragrance and another viable masculine from the house of Amouage.

It’s certainly not bottle worthy for me after testing it twice. I own Reflection, Jubilation and Lyric but I’m passing on this one. There’s simply not enough there to warrant the price.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Honour Man is a very respectable fragrance and another viable masculine from the house of Amouage.
    Agree this is a very complex and beautiful scent. I've been working my way through a sample and pretty convinced its FBW. Like both the Epics as well but this one feels more wearable and would be a good first Amouage. The resinous pollen note drifting in and out of the pepper and vetiver is unique to my experience. Good stuff.

Ultimately I decided that it's a bit too bare in the dry down - a dusty wood and a light milkiness that combined smell very very similar to calamus root oil (or even dried calamus root, for that matter). It's an interesting scent and I do enjoy it but it's a bit too austere for me. The milky/waxy quality persists too long for my taste, and sometimes the wood becomes irritating to me.

For a similar white woods fragrance, I honestly prefer Bvlgari Man due to its more dynamic development and its inclusion of more contrasting sweet notes - early on the florals and later the honey and cinnamon notes from the cypriol and benzoin. It's too bad, too, because Honour Man has what is probably my favorite Amouage bottle to date.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I wore this several times now and I really like it. I agree with those who say it's kind of a Epic Man Light. I think of it as a CEO/Office type of scent. Not sure yet if I need a bottle of it in my wardrobe though.

I got my bottle today. Yeah! First impressions …

Saying Honour Man is Epic Man Lite does a disservice and begs a more precise statement. In the top notes, Honour Man can be thought of as Epic Man Lite because of the peppercorn notes. In terms of concentration, however, this is more like Epic Man Ultra Light. The scent is complex and evolves nicely – I need to figure out how much to apply. For Epic Man – 1 spray is too much. For Honour Man – at least 2-4 sprays. What do others do?

The opening is very nice because of the peppercorn notes and at times suggests the structure of Memoir Man. This fragrance is not overly floral or opulent for that matter. This is both a strength and weakness of Honour Man. Amouage is known for its opulence, yet the opulence makes it difficult to wear. Here it’s toned done.

I definitely get the freshness of vetiver and frankincense in the middle. Over time this began to suggest a more restrained version of Creed Himalaya with frankincense rather than ambergris. The base so far is evolving into a very nice spicy woody motif – though less powdery and intense than Reflection Man.

I never got any strong floral presence that you find in Opus I et al or Lyric Man, even though there’s reference to floral elements in the published notes.

I’ve been seduced by the house of Amouage and have been searching for a wearable day scent. For me Dia is not the answer. Honour Man holds promise, but I need to try this a few more times.

Any suggestions on application would be greatly appreciated.

Caveat: The bottle arrived sooner than expected. I had already applied 1 spray of Noir Epices. Even though I washed my wrist with rubbing alcohol and took a shower, I suspect this still impacted my experience first time out.
    Last edited by himalaya; 20th November 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add caveat

Doesn't anybody else get an almost minty geranium in the late opening and early middle phase? It calls to mind Geranium PM by Malle a bit, although Honour has more woods and depth and is not quite so fresh. Still, I find the geranium accord in each to be fairly similar.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hey Sculpture. I'm lol@ you sharing that you wore this for 8 days straight, because this is my second day straight wearing this, and I seldom ever wear a fragrance 2 days back to back. lol I just got my sample of it last week. On first sniff, I was like ehhh...this is kinda weird. But after my full wearing yesterday, man...this stuff is actually quite satisfying. It's weird, cuz it's a dry, moody, woody and herbal kinda beast, not very sweet, but slightly though. It's not the type of fragrance that I typically like, but boy, I am truly surprised that I actually like it quite a bit. I don't know if I'd ever purchase a bottle, but I would wear it if given to me.
    I didn't read your full review, but I will later. Hope you found it as good as I do. Next two days, I'm wearing my Memoir sample.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
    I just put my nose on this today and while its very nice and indeed sophisticated and creamy i swear ive smelled something VERY similar before. Can you guys tell me what other frag this reminds you of? I swear Ill know it when I hear it.
    Is it Timbuktu or Dzongkha? Smells an awful lot like those to me.

Another Amouage that falls flat in the drydown...

I was prepared to like this, it has some nice opening notes... the pepper and frankincense are great. It has some iso-e super but a far more restrained dose vs. Memoir, so I don't find it bothersome. I read about the possible use of mystikal, also some of the same burning incense and waxy notes that are in CDG 2Man... those are definitely there.

The Amouages I like are seem to be the more linear ones... Lyric and Ciel, but it seems the ones that change more over time do so for the worse. Amouage needs to work on giving their frags a respectable base, a poor drydown is a deal breaker. And so far Gold, Memoir and Honor are examples of this. It's been a while since I tried Jube xxv, but I remember it being a fairly synthetic feeling frag with lots of iso-e... but I'll give it a go one more time.

IMO this is an issue with so many modern frags, nice top notes and a cheap, synthetic base. Amouage uses some beautiful smelling natural ingredients, but then goes on to ruin it with too many synthetics and a poor base.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Another Amouage that falls flat in the drydown...

I was prepared to like this, it has some nice opening notes... the pepper and frankincense are great. It has some iso-e super but a far more restrained dose vs. Memoir, so I don't find it bothersome. I read about the possible use of mystikal, also some of the same burning incense and waxy notes that are in CDG 2Man... those are definitely there.

The Amouages I like are seem to be the more linear ones... Lyric and Ciel, but it seems the ones that change more over time do so for the worse. Amouage needs to work on giving their frags a respectable base, a poor drydown is a deal breaker. And so far Gold, Memoir and Honor are examples of this. It's been a while since I tried Jube xxv, but I remember it being a fairly synthetic feeling frag with lots of iso-e... but I'll give it a go one more time.

IMO this is an issue with so many modern frags, nice top notes and a cheap, synthetic base. Amouage uses some beautiful smelling natural ingredients, but then goes on to ruin it with too many synthetics and a poor base.
    I think it's because they try to make their frags so strong and long lasting, and the only way that is really ever achieved is with a pretty heavy synthy base. It's just a matter of if those particular synthetics irk you or not.

I've tried to rekindle my love for Honour Man but I just can't. I don't get an overt/distracting/annoying synthetic quality in the base (I do pick up some white musks, a hint of iso e, and some very dry woody synthetics), I just find it a tad too dry now. I almost want to retract my initial review because that's just not how I experience the scent any longer, although it was how I experienced it and is definitely how I wish I could experience it again. Now I just find the base to be too unidimensional. For a similar vetiver/sandalwood/white woods/white musk scent, (at least in the base), I prefer Bvlgari Man thanks to the honey and benzoin notes present. They provide some needed relief from the otherwise overwhelming dry woodiness.

Anyone else find that their perception of this has changed drastically over time?

I used to perceive so much more, but not this dry, almost suffocating woody/papery/ashy note overshadows most of the rest of the composition. It's not a bad smell, per se, but it is just too dry and too simple for too long.

I'm curious if anyone else used to perceive more and now perceives less, or if there are some who over repeated exposure to the fragrance have had the opposite experience and now enjoy it more than they did at first.

Hour and a half after applying and I'm going to go take a shower to wash it off. Too dry. Too much like an ash tray. I miss the scent that I described in the first post. Of course, back then my chemical sensitivities were all over the place.

I hate to do it, because it's a scent I want to love (my fave Amouage packaging ever - I want to love the scent just so I could have this bottle on my shelf!) but I don't love it. I'm not digging it at all. Lowering my current rating of it from 3 down to 2 stars.

This was spot on, great job SoS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
    I got my bottle today. Yeah! First impressions …

Saying Honour Man is Epic Man Lite does a disservice and begs a more precise statement. In the top notes, Honour Man can be thought of as Epic Man Lite because of the peppercorn notes. In terms of concentration, however, this is more like Epic Man Ultra Light. The scent is complex and evolves nicely – I need to figure out how much to apply. For Epic Man – 1 spray is too much. For Honour Man – at least 2-4 sprays. What do others do?

The opening is very nice because of the peppercorn notes and at times suggests the structure of Memoir Man. This fragrance is not overly floral or opulent for that matter. This is both a strength and weakness of Honour Man. Amouage is known for its opulence, yet the opulence makes it difficult to wear. Here it’s toned done.

I definitely get the freshness of vetiver and frankincense in the middle. Over time this began to suggest a more restrained version of Creed Himalaya with frankincense rather than ambergris. The base so far is evolving into a very nice spicy woody motif – though less powdery and intense than Reflection Man.

I never got any strong floral presence that you find in Opus I et al or Lyric Man, even though there’s reference to floral elements in the published notes.

I’ve been seduced by the house of Amouage and have been searching for a wearable day scent. For me Dia is not the answer. Honour Man holds promise, but I need to try this a few more times.

Any suggestions on application would be greatly appreciated.

Caveat: The bottle arrived sooner than expected. I had already applied 1 spray of Noir Epices. Even though I washed my wrist with rubbing alcohol and took a shower, I suspect this still impacted my experience first time out.
    On my skin, 2 sprays is more than enough. Someone complaint about the longevity, but I use 2 sprays in the morning and when I go home from work in the evening I`ts still going on strong! Fantastic longevity, and perfect sillage IMO. Honour has become one of my favorit fragrances from Amouage. A fragrance with a true Amouage-soul.

I dug it out a couple of weeks ago and wore it.

Exactly the same impression as when I first tried it (top of this thread). Beautiful first couple of hours with the best rendition of pepper (more like oil from crushed pepper corns) I have come across then slipping into a pretty straight ahead dry woods for the duration. It's good stuff but I'm not a fan of woods as a base. Not one I'll buy although I would certainly recommend it to people who are more inclined in that direction.

Basenotes Institution

Sampling this for the 1st time today. I don't think there's anything I can add that hasn't already been mentioned above. I get the similarities to Epic and 2 Man by CdG (which I own). I didn't think I 'needed' another white smoke scent, but the Amouage manages to be just as bold without so much of that aldehydic effect that the CdG has. In addition, I LOVE PEPPER, so any scent that features it so stylishly always intrigues me...I just keep bringing my wrist to my nose and inhaling. I found it a bit funny that after I applied it, a minute or so, I had to sneeze - the pepper is very natural and alive.

Still...it's crazy expensive. (sigh)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle