Code of Conduct

Thread: About Aramis

Default About Aramis

This is my SOTA today.

I have loved this classic made by Estee Lauder, the big brother to the wonderful Azuree for women. A strong leather/spice/floral. It's all about leather!

How was this named originally? Was it after the young musketeer character in the Alexandre Dumas Pere novel--the young seminary student who killed a man in a duel?

I understand this, like some other fragrances, was originally intended for women.

Your thoughts and input greatly appreciated.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: About Aramis

It's a classic, and will always be in my collection.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Indeed! Has anyone smelled Aramis Gold? I read that it is the original Aramis formulation from the Sixties.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120125.html

I dunno, but it's a great fragrance. The king of spice. I think it can beat the crap out most niche frags.

Unfortunately never like this fragrance. I'ts one of the few scents that makes me ill. Like the name though.

I've always assumed that it was named after the Musketeer, but I don't know. I do know that it's one of my all-time favorites (if not all-time), and I wish I could find a bottle of the Gold version.

LT describes it as Cabochard slimmed down for boys. Sadly, I've never smelled vintage Cabochard, but Aramis smells wonderful. As does Azuree, all by Chant.

cacio

Aramis is the king of versatile fragrances. It works for the office, the outdoors, dates, formal events, etc. If I could only have one fragrance, it would be Aramis.

A good description of Cabochard's original character and its relationship with Aramis. http://books.google.com/books?id=XD9...ochard&f=false

I'm very fond of Aramis and it's miraculous that it's still in production at such a low price.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    A good description of Cabochard's original character and its relationship with Aramis. http://books.google.com/books?id=XD9...ochard&f=false

I'm very fond of Aramis and it's miraculous that it's still in production at such a low price.

Zizanioides, thank you for the informative link.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

I like it, but strangely never wear it from my tiny decant. I respect it a whole bunch, but in the category of leather chypres I feel much more of an affinity with Tabac Blond (parfum) and Bandit.

Still, I absolutely love, the Aramis Bath Soaking Salts - the smell of Aramis fills up your entire bathroom when you use a tiny bit. One of their best in the body products range.

And let's face it, scents like M by Puredistance and Xerjoff Homme wouldn't even be around if it weren't for classics like Aramis.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I like it, but strangely never wear it from my tiny decant. I respect it a whole bunch, but in the category of leather chypres I feel much more of an affinity with Tabac Blond (parfum) and Bandit.
    Ditto.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have always loved Aramis since the late 70s. Still have a 1983 bottle in the vaults.

There is also a EDT Concentrate version which is made in Switzerland but, i believe, for selected markets. This is less animalic but stronger than the classic version. This seems to be the one i wear more often nowadays.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I really like the way I hang up a jacket after I've been wearing six sprays of Aramis, and my bedroom smells strongly of Aramis for the next four or five days.

This means either having to use another jacket, or picking a scent that meshes in with the left over Aramis.
    Regards,
    Renato

I like Aramis, But it`s a fragrance I strongly associate with my grandpa, so I don`t feel comfortable wearing it..

One of the greats.

I would imagine that the name does originate from the musketeer, given that another Aramis offering of yesteryear, Porthos, was also a musketeer's name.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

I simply enjoy some of the Aramis fragrances, especially Aramis pour Homme and Tuscany, as a matter of fact, I could almost picture the famous fictional swashbuckler wearing them (for several reasons: suave and elegant-check; conservative in an almost nostalgic way-check; leathery-check; sensual in a mature, restrained manner-check; manly in powerhouse way-check and a variety of other reasons more)

AromiErotici

Aramis is one of the most easily recognizable masculines I've ever come across. There's no mistaking it for anything else. I don't know how well it works for younger guys, but I definitely enjoy wearing it in the winter.

One of my all time favorites! I like Aramis more than praised Knize Ten.

I love it! I started wearing it when I was barely out of my teens, though I can understand that it's not really a young man's scent. It's quite a potent monster -- I never spray more than twice, and actually almost always just once.

Definitely good stuff. I also assumed the name came from the musketeer, but who knows for sure!?

Aramis seems to be more of a spicy animalic patch scent to me, but as I compare it to more leather scents, I can definitely see how one might interpret leather as well. "Leather" can be such a wide category, after all, and the scent of "leather" is not strictly defined.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by miguelca View Post
    I love it! I started wearing it when I was barely out of my teens, though I can understand that it's not really a young man's scent. It's quite a potent monster -- I never spray more than twice, and actually almost always just once.
    Aramis is one of those frags that works better on me if I "mist" it instead of spraying it directly on my skin. It is a beast too and you could easily become "Cologne Guy" without meaning too.

I have quite a bit of respect for it and for any fragrance to be in production for over 45 years is impressive.

Aramis is good but once you have smelled Mitsouko it will never smell the same again...

Great unshorn beast of a chypre. I love the stuff and finally prefer it to its tidier, greener sisters Bandit and Azuree.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I for years have thought that Aramis is a much underrated house, and is often times overlooked. Deserves a bit more respect than it receives. Turns out quality fragrances, and does not flood the market with fragrances that are not made with quality ingredients, and are well blended. Their Aramis fragrance is no exception. IMHO
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

So much tribute to this fragrance. It`s a classic indeed. Are there Someone here that think it smells a bit "cheap" compared with "today`s" fragrances? I like these kind of fragrances, but I don`t want to smell cheap.. -Just intrested to hear your oppinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    So much tribute to this fragrance. It`s a classic indeed. Are there Someone here that think it smells a bit "cheap" compared with "today`s" fragrances? I like these kind of fragrances, but I don`t want to smell cheap.. -Just intrested to hear your oppinions.
    Doesn't smell cheap to me. In fact it smells remarkably rich considering you can buy it in drugstores for a low price.

It's one of my favorites, but DAMN, have you smelled vintage Cabochard? THAT is some beautiful leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    I for years have thought that Aramis is a much underrated house, and is often times overlooked. Deserves a bit more respect than it receives. Turns out quality fragrances, and does not flood the market with fragrances that are not made with quality ingredients, and are well blended. Their Aramis fragrance is no exception. IMHO
    This is sort of the way that Estee Lauder has always operated. Some of the nicest fragrance available.

Is there Someone here that think it smells a bit "cheap" compared with "today`s" fragrances?
    No, this is one of those fragrance that exudes class and sophisticaction IMO. I'm not sure if everyone could pull it off though .
    This is a classic that has stood the test of time.

I found CK Eternity EDP for women to be quite close to this. Has anyone elsenoticed the similaritiies?

This was my main fragrance back in the olden days and I loved it; but what the hell did I know then. Tried it again after my recent awakening and found it a bit too much, not cheap just overwhelming. I must say I liked the cf Mitsuko comment. I have sure fallen for that one. Anyway, I guess I'll have to give that honorable musketeer another go.

I generally like all Aramis fragrances, although this one for some reason would be on the lower half of my rankings.

I like Aramis a lot, although I'm not sure how wearable it really is. It's way too potent for office use and a little too dated for an evening on the town. It's not really my first choice as a formal fragrance either. For some reason I find myself wearing it on Saturday mornings when I do my shopping.

Yes, there's leather in there but the oakmoss and incense notes are equally strong, which is probably why a lot of people (including myself) don't think "leather" the first time they smell it.

If you had to choose between Aramis and Antaeus, which one would you pick? I prefer Antaeus.

If you had to choose between Aramis and Antaeus, which one would you pick? I prefer Antaeus.
    I can get away with wearing Aramis in public just about but not Antaeus unfortunately. I like the scent but too many people react to it as if I'm wearing horse manure.lol...... I had too trade my bottle.

Dependent

Aramis, and Bijan, are the only frags that make me physically ill -- literal mild nausea. Even Secretions Magnifiques cannot claim that dubious honor. I find them truly repugnant. Its boldness cannot be denied of course.

Love the honey note in Antaeus however its Aramis that gets my vote

I think Antaeus is superior and I love it, but will hold off purchase for fear of the reactions.

In a Estée Lauder biography on page 242 it states that the name Amaris has nothing to do with the three musketeers character. It is named after a Turkish root known to have aphrodisiac properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvournis View Post
    I think Antaeus is superior and I love it, but will hold off purchase for fear of the reactions.
    Hmm Antaeus is amazing. I probably get more positive feedback from it than any other fragrance. It goes from 80s powerhouse masculine to a honeycomb: wonderful.
    Oslo: yes I'd pick Antaeus over Aramis also. But Aramis is a classic. I can't thank Aramis enough for bringing back Havana, I'm enjoying it now!

Cool Re: About Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Indeed! Has anyone smelled Aramis Gold? I read that it is the original Aramis formulation from the Sixties.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120125.html
    Thanks, neal that would be interesting!

(I hope we get more forthcoming evidence than the word of an S.A.)

Now, I don't recall the original notes-but it was not "leather-heavy." Yet, if I had to guess I'd say it's pretty much the way Aramis smells today-but that's a guess

(Where is Scentemental and his blue ink? If anyone could tell it'd be him)

What I do know is that Aramis wasn't considered a 'powerhouse' back in the late 60's but instead it was considered a light and refined scent.

Perhaps it succeeded too well.

It's so well known that I can smell it a mile away downwind. I'm not sure if it's because this spice bomb really IS a bomb, or because so many men have a tendency to apply too much. If so, as already commented, you'll be " the cologne guy. "---oops!

Which begs the question: How much is enough? Probably any amount small enough to NOT be instantly recognized as Aramis

One does wonder if 30 years from now, people will be making the same comment about Malle's Noir Epices?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Just curious: What does Luca Turin think about Aramis?
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 14th February 2012 at 07:50 PM.

cant do it. smells like my dad going out.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

It is a fantastic scent

Aramis will always be in my top ten. There is also Portos (Balenciaga), now we're just missing Athos and d'Artanian. Years ago, Aramis also made a fragrance also called Portos--but I've never been able to find it.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Excellent name. Too many associations with a stocky, womanizing guy I knew in high school who smoked Marlboro Reds and drank Bud Lite on his father's boat, which was eternally parked in his father's driveway. Aramis was his signature, and thereafter found its way out of my collection forever.

Just curious: What does Luca Turin think about Aramis?
    I think he gave it 4 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I think he gave it 4 stars.
    Ok. Is 5 stars the highest score?

Sound Scents

Ok. Is 5 stars the highest score?
    Yes. And I just indeed looked in my book and confirmed he did give it 4 out of 5 stars.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Yes. And I just indeed looked in my book and confirmed he did give it 4 out of 5 stars.
    Fantastic! I wouldn`t have thought that.

When I first tried this I found it very much an old man's scent (I'm pretty sure I've smelled this as a kid) and outdoorsy in a lumberjack way. Almost did let it go. Luckily I didn't and now wear it when in a hacking some wood mood.