Code of Conduct

Default Cloudy/Milky Vetiver Tonka.....anyone else?

I received an official 4ml sample of Vetiver Tonka from the Hermés store a year ago. I decanted it into a new glass atomizer when I first received it. I haven't used it for a couple of months, but felt like spraying some today. I took it out of my decant box and noticed that it has turned cloudy. When I shake it, it becomes more milky white. I have just sprayed it on some paper to test it.

Anyone else have this issue with Vetiver Tonka, or know what is causing this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by morrison74; 16th June 2011 at 01:11 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Default Re: Cloudy/Milky Vetiver Tonka.....anyone else?

Have never had this issue.

Perhaps there was soem remnants of something in your atomizer before you poured the juice into it?
    Top Five For Now: Kenzo Power Cologne, Mugler Cologne, Lalique Encre Noire, Dior Homme EDT, Yohji Homme

You didn't tell us whether it's still ok or gone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Perhaps there was soem remnants of something in your atomizer before you poured the juice into it?
    No, the atomizer was definitely new and clean. The Vetiver Tonka was fine in there for 10 months. Sometime in the last 2 months, it has gone cloudy/milky.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    You didn't tell us whether it's still ok or gone bad.
    I'm testing it on paper right now. About an hour in and it smells the same to me- I think! I'm no Vetiver Tonka expert though, so it may have changed. It looks disgusting though, I have to say...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Update:

When I grabbed the Vetiver Tonka decant out of my box earlier it appeared as I described above- cloudy/milky white. However, after placing it down on the table, while I investigated the smell on paper, I noticed that the decant 'settles' and becomes clear again (with the original yellowish tint). I can now see some very strange, small orange/amber coloured 'blobs' forming on the bottom of the decant (inside of course). It looks like a miniature lava lamp. When I shake it, it becomes cloudy/milky white. It takes about 30 minutes for it to settle and become clear again.

I've concluded that it doesn't smell 'off', on paper at least.
    Last edited by morrison74; 17th June 2011 at 01:31 AM.

Wanted

I have two full-sized bottles and five of the small spray bottles of VT. All look fine...for now anyway. Most were purchased when VT was first released.

I've seen that milkiness thing happen when I accidentally let some dust, lotion or oil, even skin oil from fingertips, get inside a container somehow. It only takes a few molecules. Stuff will sort of swirl together and then settle. Since you are the only person to handle it, I wouldn't be concerned. I only get skeezed out (pardon my horrid vocabulary and grammar) if I think there's organic material in my 'fumes from someone else or if it doesn't smell like it should.

By the way, I do notice a problem with the small spray bottles. The juice will evaporate from them over time. Use it or lose it!

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I have two full-sized bottles and five of the small spray bottles of VT. All look fine...for now anyway. Most were purchased when VT was first released.

I've seen that milkiness thing happen when I accidentally let some dust, lotion or oil, even skin oil from fingertips, get inside a container somehow. It only takes a few molecules. Stuff will sort of swirl together and then settle. Since you are the only person to handle it, I wouldn't be concerned. I only get skeezed out (pardon my horrid vocabulary and grammar) if I think there's organic material in my 'fumes from someone else or if it doesn't smell like it should.

By the way, I do notice a problem with the small spray bottles. The juice will evaporate from them over time. Use it or lose it!
    Thanks for your input.

'skeezed out' - I like it!

I have since tried it on skin again and it smells as wonderful as ever. I guess something must have gotten in to the decant somehow, though I can't imagine how as it's sealed with parafilm.

Wanted

No problems with my bottle..