Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Reformulation thoughts on Red for Men by GIorgio of Beverly Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Thanks for the excellent explanation. This post is so good it probably should be a sticky.
    It's a tiny fragment but it's impossible to keep up with all of it. But there's good news, too. I mean the aromachemicals are always evolving in one way or another regardless of the IFRA.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th June 2011 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    The rejuiced Red for Men is pretty bad. Reminds me a bit of Drakkar Noir which I find hideous.
    I posted here several years ago when it was rereleased that the Red I had sampled reminded me of Drakkar Noir, but no one then agreed with me. I'm glad that now I'm not the only one with that perception.

I've since bought it, and have just sprayed some on my hand. Sniffed up close I notice that minty thing that Bigsly mentions, but sniffed from a distance, I still get something that reminds me of Drakkar Noir - which is not a bad thing as, unlike you, I've always been a fan of Drakkar. I've noticed that most posters from the US are very anti-Drakkar Noir where, apparently, it was overused for decades.
    Regards,
    Renato

AromiErotici

Lo and behold, I was doing errands today and ended up in TJMAXX. On the shelf was a 50ml. Red for Men so I bought it.

It's the current formula........and after 4 spritzes on hand and arm, I must say I like it and think it will be a nice addition to the work rotation.

I'm curious about something. About HOW MANY fragrances have you actually sampled? Every thread I see you posting and you must have sampled 10 thousand fragrances. I'm almost bewildered bro.
    Same. I would love to see his collection too..

How did you like the original formula of Red?
    Never smelled it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

AromiErotici

I wore this last night umpiring and it's fairly innocuous. I like the overall scent but wish it had more depth and longevity.

It will, however, work rather well as a work frag since it's not polarizing or strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    So I got my new bottle of Red today, and did one full chest spray (along with a little dribble that first came out). I had a dab vial sample and used that 4 times before deciding to buy a bottle. I assumed that the sample I had is the new formulation, mainly because of a somewhat "synthetic" and syrupy quality that I associate with "drugstore" frags. However, the redwood sequoia note, which starts to emerge strongly after about an hour, grew on me. I disllike strong wood notes, so finding one that I actually liked was the key to my decision.

After a few minutes, I thought to myself that something was wrong. I didn't get that thick, syrupy sweet, herbal quality at all. Instead, it was dry and rather light, so I sprayed some on my wrist to simulate the kind of sampling from the dab vial. Smelling it up close, I could tell that it was nothing like the original, which I must have in that sample vial (and is similar to Polo Crest). Up close, the new one is quite "synthetic" in a "chemical" way, though not a migraine maker. Allowing it to mix with the air, however, seems to be important with this one.

This new one is actually a good frag, and has a hint of minty-ness that I didn't detect in the original. This is no longer an evening and cold weather frag, and in fact would be good in all but the hotest and most humid conditions. It's actually a bit cool, whereas the original was on the hot side, at least until the wood emerged strongly, and it was never cool. After several hours, you get something very close to Montana Parfum d'Homme ("red box"), but without any of the soapy lavender. What bothers me most is that aside from the missing redwood sequoia note, there is also no Yatagan-like accord, which I enjoyed in the original. Overall, this is a fairly "natural" smelling, pleasant frag, and good for those who want a light version of an "80s power frag" (particularly if you don't want those powerful openings), but don't think you are getting anything that resembles the original (beyond a slight hint, perhaps).

Note that this is considerably better than another attempt at a Montana Parfum d'Homme frag, namely Adidas Sport Field, which is way too "synthetic" for me.
    you made my day reading your review on Red for men. It's a great fragrance that is both fresh and woody spicy tithe same.time. it is my signature scent

AromiErotici

I have no choice now but to snag a mini of the vintage for a side by side. I don't expect drastic differences but wonder if it is longer lasting and a bit richer.

I think the "Red" was meant for the redwoood sequoia note, rather than an allusion to an oriental frag, which it's not. The new one does not have that note, IMO, and it also has a very "chemical" woody smell after several hours, whereas you don't find that in the original. I would not buy a splash on ebay because the seller could have filled it up with the new formulation.

This fragrance smells like wet dog... Maybe it cuz i dont have chest hair.... but it s not an alluring smell. i would rather wear CH for Carolina Herrera..now thta scent its right on the money

The new bottles have the same speckled cap.
    To me, the primary differences I caught were the thickness of the perceived body and some barely noticeable chemical alteration (cheaper materials). While I do enjoy the 'real deal' just barely more, the remake is really quite good. Neither lasts as long as I would like, though. I like Pluran's comparison to a Yatagan/Drakkar Noir cross. That's a really adept way to describe this to curious parties.
    I'm gonna do another side-by-side revisiting now...
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.
    Currently wearing: Gambler by Jovan

Shifty Bat: If you have a Montana Parfum d'Homme or Havana type frag, do a side-by-side with one of them (with the new Red). After a few hours the scent is very, very similar.

I don't have either yet, but now I'm curious. Anyway, it's been a mere half hour, but I did notice a couple things...
    The vintage Red is thicker, like I'd said, and is more ambery-sweet and the cumin/artemisia combo seems muskier. I don't know how I missed it till now but it smells a heck of a lot like Gambler Musk. The new formula seems spicier, almost like there's cardamom in it (who knows?), but the sweetness definitely smells more synthetic. Interestingly, as they are settling the two are becoming more similar, although the new one is starting to exhibit a powdery benzoin feel and the original maintains the musky amber.

I'll try the Montana when I can. It must be better than the K-Mart allstar Preferred Stock, which is basically Red's boring nephew.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

That sounds about right. The only thing, for me, is that I wanted that interesting redwood sequoia note surrounded by the thick, ambery, sweet, herbal stuff. The new one has a generic wood note/accord, and is drier, and after a while, more "synthetic."

If anyone has the new Red, but hasn't tried Havana or Montana "red box," you may not need more than Red. Montana has more of a soapy lavender, and is a bit different in the drydown, with more of a pine quality, but unless you want several variations on the same theme, owning bottles of the three might be rather redundant.

One more thing! An hour later and I began unwittingly picking up on that mint note, but only in the new formula. I wonder what's causing this accord, and why it takes so long to develop?

Yes, me too. LT once said that caraway and mint are very close, so perhaps they decided to replace the original's caraway with mint. Just my guess.

To me, the original had more "effervessence" and carried a bit more. The newer version is a little "flatter". But that's my opinion and I have not smelled the original in about 12 years! If my memory is right, the original was a little "deeper" smelling. I knew three guys that wore it and it smelled great on them! 2 were scoundrels and one had his enemies! A doctor, a hospital CEO and an Insurance Executive. All power brokers in their own ways.

Yes, ChuckW, I agree with your impression of the two.

No always boxed in dark green or yellow and white box.
    Last edited by Janetelizabeth; 5th November 2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: More influence

The dark green box same colour as bottle was fab. No other has come anywhere near it.

Fantastic thread ressurected!

Bought the new formula blind last month and It has grown on my skin since first full wearing. It was perceptible to me the 'cold' accord it exhales, kinda boozy, a bit refreshing, minty as said above, even green, in a subtil way, but what I like the most is the sweet ambery drydown, slightly woody that reminded me of a very light CK Obsession for men. It's a winner, great cost-benefit relationship.

For me, this one's a winner, especially when you consider the price. I definitely get the associations with Drakkar Noir.

I've been seeing this a lot at TJ Maxx recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Janetelizabeth View Post
    The dark green box same colour as bottle was fab. No other has come anywhere near it.
    Sounds like you guys are talking about their first masculine, not Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like you guys are talking about their first masculine, not Red.
    No Bigsly, I'm talking about Red. Giorgio, the one with green juice, in my humble opinion, is a hideous fragrance, overly sweet with a strange floral whatever opening. Bought it blind too and got rid of it quickly...

Own a new(er) bottle and like it. For the price, if you enjoy this kind of scent, this is a winner. Never smelt the original.

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs View Post
    No Bigsly, I'm talking about Red. Giorgio, the one with green juice, in my humble opinion, is a hideous fragrance, overly sweet with a strange floral whatever opening. Bought it blind too and got rid of it quickly...
    Red for Men never came in anything other than a red box and the liquid color was always that reddish color (a bit towards a brown/orange). If you can find otherwise, I'll come back here and admit I'm wrong, but I've searched for vintage bottles for years and what you describe has never appeared in any pictures, no matter how old the box or bottle.

I bought a bottle of this, and threw it in the garbage. Usually when I do t like a perfume, I give it to someone. But I don't want to smell this on anyone. So in the trash it went.

I had to dig this one up. I have the newish release of Red for Men and Im getting nothing fresh or similar to Montana in any way whatsoever. Its syrupy rich floral with a sweaty leather undertone. I have both the red and black Montanas and they are similar but this is not even close. Could there be another version?

Nevermind, I tried it again this morning and I do get the fresh spicy opening of the Montanas but it fades so quickly to the thick sweaty carnation leather that if you blink you are going to miss it.