Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Am I the only one that does this?

It's an expensive hobby, so I strongly believe in try before you buy. Because of this, I'm usually in Sephora sampling a lot of fragrances, spraying my arms or test papers, seeing how scents perform or change on me. But I never buy anything from there. There's one Sephora which I drop in often, to the point where Sales Associates have stopped approaching me or give me that look of "Oh it's that giy who never buys anything." I sometimes feel like I owe them a purchase someday since I'm always there and never buy anything, but it's for 2 reasons:

1. I can usually get the same fragrance for a better price somewhere else.

2. I don't like how all their bottles are under or on top of hot lights.

I like to sample fragrances alone and not be bothered. I also often visit other places to sample testers, such as my local pharmacy chain and department stores. I hate when sales associates try to sell me something I have no interest in or already own or have dismissed.

But yeah. Am I the only guy who tries but never buys?

Default Re: Am I the only one that does this?

Quote Originally Posted by EddieG View Post
    Am I the only guy who tries but never buys?
    I think there are probably a lot of people who actually do this. I personally don't though.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't, I'd find that mildly unethical. Walk into a store once, sample, and end up not buying, that's one thing. Purposely do it over and over, for my personal idea of integrity, I just don't think it's right. That said, no reason you have to buy their cologne ... do you have any women in your life you could gift their body washes etc?

lol i finally did my first purchase at sephora this weekend. I bought a bottle of prada amber pour homme intense there.

Sometimes I just sample, sometimes I buy.

While you can do it, you shouldn't. The reason internet sites are cheaper is obvious. You are abusing Sephora, and if more people share your philosophy they will fold. Then you'll be annoyed that you can't abuse them any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    I don't, I'd find that mildly unethical. Walk into a store once, sample, and end up not buying, that's one thing. Purposely do it over and over, for my personal idea of integrity, I just don't think it's right. That said, no reason you have to buy their cologne ... do you have any women in your life you could gift their body washes etc?
    I tend to agree, I'd feel guilty if I did this... But that's just me

I like to purchase where I sample... I have sampled at one store and purchased at another store but not that often.

Haha, Nope. +1 here! ��

I think as long as you buy one or two things a year from a store like this, it would be ok.

Ok ok I'll buy someone a gift card =(

Ok ok I'll buy someone a gift card =(
    Thanks I'll PM you my adress

But I sample a lot too and never buy at sephora. It's better when I rip them off by not buying than when they rip me off with their overpriced stuff.

If you think that fragrance is an expensive hobby, you should be spending less time on internet message boards and more time working on your income.

If you're, let's say, 22 or under, you get the student pass. Otherwise, you sound a lot like a miserable parasite.

I don't buy at Sephora for reason (2), but also because the choice is very limited and because I think Arnault (the owner of LVMH) has not been good for perfumery. But I don't feel that bad smelling there because of this second part, and because my sister does buy stuff there occasionally. There's some overlap with Macy's, where I also smell often. I don't usually buy stuff there, but it has happened, plus I do buy creams and the like there sometimes.

I smell a lot of stuff all over the place in stores that sell niche or higher end. While I smell much more than I buy, I do try to buy stuff in stores (as opposed to the internet).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    If you think that fragrance is an expensive hobby, you should be spending less time on internet message boards and more time working on your income.

If you're, let's say, 22 or under, you get the student pass. Otherwise, you sound a lot like a miserable parasite.
    My rebuttal to this would be something that the basenotes moderators would disapprove of. They are nice people, so I don't want to give them a hard time. Next time you call someone a miserable parasite, make sure you know them really well. As well as your own reflection.

No, I generally don't sample in stores - I don't think it gives a very good idea of a scent. I would rather buy samples so I can wear them in my world - away from a counter where dozens of things have been sprayed already. If I go into a store, it's usually to buy.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. Brückner - Aoud 1

I can relate to your situation. I feel like I'm always at Sephora sampling. They leave me alone there, and most of the time I'm there with my 6-year-old daughter who likes to spray one of everything and then give herself makeovers. She could spend hours there putting on perfume, makeup, and nail polish. While I don't always purchase fragrances from Sephora, I will usually purchase other products from them (like fingernail polish or travel size items for my daughter or makeup/hair products for my wife) to make up for it. However when it comes to higher end department store fragrance counters (Neiman Marcus, Barneys. Saks, etc), I make a conscious effort to support helpful sales associates whom I've worked with in the past in order to give them a commission. I also will happily pay full retail at locally owned small independent niche perfume shops to keep them in business.

I've bought before after going into the same store (nobody remembered me) but sometimes I actually feel like I've been treated like I'm the sample and never buy-guy. I recently went in to a perfumania, not sure if you guys have those anywhere... And all I asked was if they lady was familiar with Thierry Mugler, and if they had pure wood so that I could smell it. (This was about a month or two ago, when Wood was hard to find around here.) And after I asked, she proceeded to give me sprays and test strips.. until I asked for a picture of the bottle of one she sprayed for me. she immediately got defensive and held the bottle back and told me there was no picture taking allowed, so I said "alright.." and leaned over the counter to examine the bottle that I didn't really have an intention of buying anyway. I told her that this was kind of a starting hobby for me, and that I like to look online to see what people said about it and the note break down, and then she just started being nasty, saying "why do you care what others think..." and "why do you want to look it up? It's right here" Then she just ignored me after that. If there was any sale there, it was soon lost.

I will not ask for sprays of samples. If they give me some, I just tell them what notes I'm into and they just direct me to a few that they like. I did that with some bond no 9's because I had no idea with all their bottles. After narrowing down some that I really liked, now I know and I can save for one. That's how I go about it. I'll always try and get someone commission if they spent time with me.
    Last edited by jawse36; 29th December 2014 at 06:28 AM.

Nothing wrong with this at all and your wallet would appreciate it. You should go to Nordstroms as well since you can get more samples over there than Sephora.

I was really surprised to see such negative reactions towards this. I don't particularly feel it is such a bad thing to try out perfumes and then not ever buy. However, if it is to the extent where you actually feel guilty about it, maybe you should take a break from it or buy something. Its also never bad to actually make some conversation with the SA. I know not all of them are very knowledgable but at least expressing your passion/interest in the subject might make them feel better about you.

I personally try out all the perfumes I can while inside a store, but I'm never at the same store more than twice usually so I can't relate. You really only need to smell something once to really consider liking it though, so I don't see a need to return to sniff the same things again. Just take note of what you think you'd consider wearing/buying and buy samples online, no need to "abuse" stores.

My local Nordstrom got rid of the sample atomizers. I guess they got tired of people making samples and not buying anything.

Basenotes Plus

Do stores pay for testers or are they gratis?

Quote Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
    Do stores pay for testers or are they gratis?
    It depends they could be s.u.m(store use merchandise) or manufacture could have one bought for the store to use already. But the testers are definitely not free.

Quote Originally Posted by Darealvelle View Post
    It depends they could be s.u.m(store use merchandise) or manufacture could have one bought for the store to use already. But the testers are definitely not free.
    Yeah it all depends on the store and the vendor. I only know this because i have a lot of friends in the industry. Some vendors send you free testers based on how much of that perfume you've purchased. Say 1000 units, you get 10 testers or whatever.

As far as the OP goes, i won't do any name calling because at the end of the day its really not THAT serious. But you should look at it from both sides. I know Sephora employees arent on commission, or at least thats what a sales girl told me not too long ago. But imagine it was Neimans. They can't just leave you alone to sniff your life away, even if you tell them to go fly a kite. If the manager or coordinator sees a customer not being helped, the SA gets in trouble. So as annoying as it is, you're in a store, and its their job.

Yes you can get perfumes cheaper online, but at that point maybe you should be buying your samples online. Its low cost, and no one will bother you.

What really irritates me are the people that "blind buy", don't like the perfume and then return it. Really? Theres a major domino effect that people don't realize. The consequences in the end make for more expensive perfume since these are considered shrink or a loss. Its not like you can resell it. Although i've seen some resell returns which is not allowed at the high end retailers. Its a major waste. Pay a few dollars and get a sample. Just because Neimans will let you return it, doesn't mean you should.

The only time i've ever done this is at Barney's with a bottle of X-Ray Profumo Laquered Rose. The giant ornamental metal cap started to rust and it literally seized itself to the atomizer. I called Barney's about it after the X-Ray Profumo told me they don't want to help me. My SA at Barneys sounded embarrassed and begged me to bring it back.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 29th December 2014 at 08:27 AM.

Wow that was pretty harsh

I have worked retail my whole life. I would not blame anyone for sampling and not buying. The "pathetic trash" IMHO are those that come in trashed on alcohol or herion and steal what they want. It happens a LOT!

I was at Nordstrom once with my sales associate when a not so nice smelling guy came in and wanted something for a date night that "smelled good". She suggested Acqua de Gio, gave him a sample vial and he was on his way. (I don't wear AdG...) No big whoop.
    Last edited by Akahina; 29th December 2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I used to search for the best buy. Now I buy where I get the best customer service. So it means if I get a lot of samples, information,.. I'll buy there. I guess it's normal that the bottles are a bit more expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Yeah it all depends on the store and the vendor. I only know this because i have a lot of friends in the industry. Some vendors send you free testers based on how much of that perfume you've purchased. Say 1000 units, you get 10 testers or whatever.

As far as the OP goes, i won't do any name calling because at the end of the day its really not THAT serious. But you should look at it from both sides. I know Sephora employees arent on commission, or at least thats what a sales girl told me not too long ago. But imagine it was Neimans. They can't just leave you alone to sniff your life away, even if you tell them to go fly a kite. If the manager or coordinator sees a customer not being helped, the SA gets in trouble. So as annoying as it is, you're in a store, and its their job.

Yes you can get perfumes cheaper online, but at that point maybe you should be buying your samples online. Its low cost, and no one will bother you.

What really irritates me are the people that "blind buy", don't like the perfume and then return it. Really? Theres a major domino effect that people don't realize. The consequences in the end make for more expensive perfume since these are considered shrink or a loss. Its not like you can resell it. Although i've seen some resell returns which is not allowed at the high end retailers. Its a major waste. Pay a few dollars and get a sample. Just because Neimans will let you return it, doesn't mean you should.

The only time i've ever done this is at Barney's with a bottle of X-Ray Profumo Laquered Rose. The giant ornamental metal cap started to rust and it literally seized itself to the atomizer. I called Barney's about it after the X-Ray Profumo told me they don't want to help me. My SA at Barneys sounded embarrassed and begged me to bring it back.
    You'd be surprised.. i returned a 8.4oz flacon of aventus to neiman marcus because the metal piece in the glass stopper came out when i tapped it on the counter to open it which led me to believe it was probably already broken & possibly a return and the sa said "Oh no it's perfectly alright.. we want you to be happy.. besides it'll be sold by tomorrow".
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 29th December 2014 at 09:38 AM.

Now where did that come from. Please take it down a notch, will you?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

In Italy there was a "tradition" once in perfume shops - the client which bought the last bottle of a scent got the tester offered for free. It happened to me a couple of times too. (just adding this to the "testers sub-topic" above...).

Anyway in the last dozen of years I bought just 2 or 3 fragrances in perfume shops - but I almost never go there to test scents as well (so stuffed with samples I don't really feel the need to...). I enjoy visiting small & older perfume shops to find some vintage bargains.
    My current top five:

Dior - Leather Oud
    Carven - Pour Homme
    Guerlain - Coriolan
    Yves Saint Laurent - Jazz Prestige
    Azzaro - Pour Homme (vtg)

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff! Patou pour Homme, Escada, Lancome, Versace...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Can't see why not. I'm sure Selfridges, Liberty, Harrods, Debenhams, etc, will survive. Indeed they'd be happy that people come to their shop for any reason as they might end up buying something else.

If I test very extensively in a fragrance store, I always eventually end up buying a full bottle, not because I feel in any way compelled, obliged to do so, nor do I always buy immediately after testing, yet after having experienced many fragrances, it is almost impossible not to find a purchase-worthy one. Again, this is just a matter of personal taste/choice, therefore only speaking about my particular case.

Another fine example of someone with a personality disorder that posts on this forum, reminds me why I don't post that often outside of Marketplace

Bootrappin' about cologne, jfc

I buy locally.
    Except at one particular boutique where prices are triple.

for swap/sale:

It's an expensive hobby, so I strongly believe in try before you buy. Because of this, I'm usually in Sephora sampling a lot of fragrances, spraying my arms or test papers, seeing how scents perform or change on me. But I never buy anything from there. There's one Sephora which I drop in often, to the point where Sales Associates have stopped approaching me or give me that look of "Oh it's that giy who never buys anything." I sometimes feel like I owe them a purchase someday since I'm always there and never buy anything, but it's for 2 reasons:

1. I can usually get the same fragrance for a better price somewhere else.

2. I don't like how all their bottles are under or on top of hot lights.

I like to sample fragrances alone and not be bothered. I also often visit other places to sample testers, such as my local pharmacy chain and department stores. I hate when sales associates try to sell me something I have no interest in or already own or have dismissed.

Haha, you are not alone OP.
    I am very guilty of this and do it all the time. I am a very strong believer of trying a fragrance before buying. The only time I blind buy is when no opportunity to smell the fragrance exists. I understand how it can be a pain from the SA's standpoint, but fragrance is an investment and should be treated as such. Sample away and good luck!
    Less fragrance is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyflow View Post
    ...but fragrance is an investment and should be treated as such. Sample away and good luck!
    Your perfumes are making you profit?
    Very fortunate for you. My 400 bottles are costing me real estate and require frequent dusting!

for swap/sale:

Eddie,

Sephora is owned by LMVH, which in turn owns dozens of fragrance companies. They maybe getting a piece of your purchase at some point.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    D&G The One

'Tis better to buy a great fragrance at a cheap price, than a cheap fragrance at a great price...

I've done my fair share of sampling and not buying from Sephora. Mostly due to the knowledge that the designer fragrances they sell are likely cheaper from a reputable online distributer and I simply won't pay full retail price on something I can find for cheaper. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

As a consumer, you need to be smart about where your money comes and goes. It's not about ethics.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD

I don't think what you're doing is so bad. In fact, I kind of respect your shamelessness. I don't think I'd be able to keep going back like you do. I'd feel too embarrassed.

I doubt Eddie's going to put Sephora out of business by spritzing a few testers now and then.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Damn... lighten up, dude.

To answer the OP.. I have sampled quite a lot at Sephora. Not necessarily getting atomizers from them, but spraying things on my arms or their paper strips to test 'em out.
    Though I could get things cheaper on the net, every now and again I or my wife does actually buy something at Sephora, even if it costs a bit more. Just seems like the right thing to do.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 29th December 2014 at 03:35 PM.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I agree with this sentiment. However, I'd like to add that I don't think the stores (major department stores) are going to go out of business anytime soon. I think we are in the very very minority with our obsession and knowing where to buy cheaper. I was just at the Mall of America yesterday, and at both Sephora and Nordstroms (smelling around lol) I saw people walk in, spray once or twice on paper, sniff, and walk up to the SA to buy a bottle. This happened more than once. I feel like these are the people keeping major stores in business (though I've never worked retail so take my anecdotal evidence with a grain of salt).

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    No, I generally don't sample in stores - I don't think it gives a very good idea of a scent. I would rather buy samples so I can wear them in my world - away from a counter where dozens of things have been sprayed already. If I go into a store, it's usually to buy.
    That's how I sample also. For me there's nothing at Sephora that I would be interested in sampling anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    For me there's nothing at Sephora that I would be interested in sampling anyway.
    Agree with you. However, if one were talking about the flagship Sephora store on the Champs Elyesee in Paris you might feel differently.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Unreasonably harsh, condescending and downright rude. Personally I find it more a reflection on the type of person you are, rather than the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree with you. However, if one were talking about the flagship Sephora store on the Champs Elyesee in Paris you might feel differently.
    You're probably right. I was referring to my local Sephora, which is more like a T.J. Maxx.

Actually Eddie, you might even want to try buying a bottle from them some time. In my experience, there's something about purchasing a bottle from a store, in person, that enhances its personal value. Especially if you buy it while your out and about having a good day with your family or friends. Plus, Sephora has a great return policy and you know their stock is always good.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Here in England we have a place called "The Perfume Shop" which only sells the mainstream, designer scents. Including some of the popular ones and least liked ones amongst the genre.

Problem is I HATE the process of how the store operates. They have them all behind the counter and you have to ask to sample it whilst you stand there awkwardly with the sales clerk waiting for you to make a decision. Makes me feel on edge and in a hurry.

But because I have a rewards card with them, I'll usually sample any in a department store and go back to The Perfume Shop and buy it from there (if they sell it).

XX Irony Alert XX

My rebuttal to this would be something that the basenotes moderators would disapprove of. They are nice people, so I don't want to give them a hard time. Next time you call someone a miserable parasite, make sure you know them really well. As well as your own reflection.
    I really don't want to bump this but, I apologize. To you. I regret what I said, and I'm sorry, Eddie.

hahah i do this too but rotate Sephoras so one store never gets to see me regularly

youre not alone brah

I can relate to EddieG. Sometimes you want to just sample everything you have heard about on basenotes etc. You don't necessarily want to purchase, but sample. Sales people assume just because you walk into their store, you must buy! This is why I really dislike sampling in stores. I do find though, the higher end stores, are more sophisticated, and will gladly give you many samples and a business card to return after you have made a decision. I think it is that lower mentality that you must buy right here right now that turns off people that should have the freedom to spray & sample. Just back the ---- off! I will buy from your store, IF I am satisfied with what I am allowed to sample. Freedom to sample. I don't need your hand to guide me, and sell me what you are told I will like.

I don't sweat it too much. I do a lot of sampling at numerous different stores and try to make a purchase every once in a while at them, but I can honestly say that I've sampled at Sephora and NEVER purchased from them. Do I feel guilty sometimes? Sure, but I like to save money more than I let it bother me. But, as I said, I generally try to throw the stores a bone and make the occasional purchase to keep them happy.

I really don't want to bump this but, I apologize. To you. I regret what I said, and I'm sorry, Eddie.
    Apology accepted.

I can't go into department stores without SA's recognizing me.

Basenotes Plus

Why are there testers in the store if not for prospective customers to sample? If the scents are not simply good enough for you, there's no reason for you to part with your hard-earned money. But if you do like a fragrance well enough to buy but always opt to buy it online then I don't think it's very ethical. My conscience will give me a hard time but that's just me. Brick-and-mortar stores have higher overheads and will be hard-pressed to match the lower prices offered by online vendors.

Personally, if I plan to spend a day sniffing around in a particular store, I'd first identify a bottle of fragrance to acquire. At least after sampling so many scents, I'd leave the store with a purchase. If I can't decide what to buy, I'll limit my samplings or buy some store gift vouchers on the way out. Earning good will is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyflow View Post
    Haha, you are not alone OP.
    I am very guilty of this and do it all the time. I am a very strong believer of trying a fragrance before buying. The only time I blind buy is when no opportunity to smell the fragrance exists. I understand how it can be a pain from the SA's standpoint, but fragrance is an investment and should be treated as such. Sample away and good luck!

Correction, you are a fan of sampling for free before buying. Of course it is prudent to sample before a purchase is made, going repeatedly to the same store to sample over and over again without buying anything is sure to raise the eyebrows of the SA and understandably so.

@the OP, no you dont owe them a purchase at all, especially considering they just leave you alone to go about your business.

Quote Originally Posted by emilking View Post
    hahah i do this too but rotate Sephoras so one store never gets to see me regularly

youre not alone brah
    This is a good policy.