Code of Conduct

Default Why Creeds are underrated

I know and have bottles from each of these niche houses, Heeley, Serge Lutens, Malle, Goutal, Amouage, Parfumerie Generale, Mazzolari, escentric ms and more . . . But more than 50% of my collection consists of Creed bottles, and in my opinion they are the preeminent perfumer for the reasons below:

1. They make wearable stuff. A lot of the niche houses make these weird fragrances that you simply can't wear unless you're going to a basenotes party, or you just want to seem odd in normal society. If someone smells musc koublai khan, mazzolari lui, esprit du tigre, geranium pour monsieur, various popular gourmands, or even a cuir d'iris, their first thought will be that you smell odd. Does that literally smell like synthetic body odor, like tiger balm geriatric lotion? like mint? like a cinnabon? like buttered bread? like literal leather? They might wind up liking it, but that's the impression you've made. Who wants to make that statement? People want to fit in, while smelling good.

2. They understand genders. Heterosexual men shouldn't be wearing flowery scents. Grass? fine. Gourmand scents? fine. but if a man smells like flowers, frankly it makes one suspicious of his sexual orientation. Amouage, for example, doesn't seem to understand this. Perhaps this is because Amouages are made, as I understand, primarily for Arab men who live in societies where that question doesn't come up, but I live in a very gay friendly city and I need to be careful about these things.

3. Their scents are not obnoxious. Sure Creeds are known for low projection and low sillage, but in 95% of society that's a good thing. You have a much lower likelihood of being "that guy" when you wear a creed. Even their "powerhouse" scents like Acier Aluminum (which is supposed to conjure thoughts of knights in chain mail) or Himalaya (which is supposed to conjure images of a mountain climber) are very polite, almost whimpy.

4. Less synthetic materials. You have to give props to a company that actually finds and extracts the natural version of their ingredients, rather than manufacturing them in a lab.

P.S. Annick Goutal is underrated as well.
    Last edited by Cerel9; 17th June 2011 at 05:58 PM.

And the evidence that Creed uses natural ingredients is...?

The notion that Creed is UNDERrated strikes me as facially ridiculous.

I'll let someone else deal with the "oh no people will think I'm one of them homos". I dont want to have ALL the fun.

Default Re: Why Creeds are underrated

I agree, they are definitely the safest "niche" house in the market. I think they make great fragrances but I will never buy another bottle at full retail again, I think the prices border on ridunkulous and maybe someone here can tell me if the fragrances actually cost that much to manufacture. Anyways, its splits and BN market for me from now on.

I love Creed but underrated...please.

IMO I don't see them as being underrated.

They're a stepping stone to the niche fragrance abyss. Underrated? No way.

Creed indeed makes scents that are most easily embraced by the average guy. Probably why they sell so much.

I do believe that many Creeds are a result of some "natural" materials, but be careful buying into the SA pitch about "all natural." There are people in here with backgrounds in chemistry who will point out that at this point they use synthetics along with everyone else, especially in their newer scents.

UNDERrated???

Is that a typo? Creed are the most hyped house on Basenotes!
    LOST! in scent and music

The reason I enjoy Creeds so much is because I don't like smelling like the mass of people out there on the streets. I prefer to be unique and I know with Creeds, they are unique, appealing to others as you mentioned and they aren't as well known so I don't have to worry about the person next to me wearing the same thing.

Well, your sixth post is a real pot-stirrer! LOL

Taking your point in turn;

1, Actually, this is exactly why I like Creed. I am not a fan of fragrances with too much going on and which lead to total olfactory overload. And this reader agrees with you about wanting to "fit in". I have an ego, I like it stroked occassionaly and I find that this happens much more with my Creeds than the rest of my wardrobe. It's nice to be noticed without drawing too much attention to yourself. However, this is due to me having a reserved nature and I rather envy those amongst us who don't give a feck!

2, I think you are in dangerous territory here, and your closing sentence could be construed as bordering on homophobia. I am straight and I too feel very uncomfortable in feminine scents. But that's just my take. The gender walls are negiligible at best in the fragrance world and if you like it, wear it, and more power to your elbow, I say.

3, I think that this ties in with 1. The scents are largely safe. However, that doesn't mean that others are obnoxious, it's a matter of personal taste and perception.

4, This is highly debatable and probably untrue. Creed are as bound as anyone else to the whims of IFRA.

Just waiting for WildThingy and whoever Addict calls himself nowadays to chime in now!
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    ... but if a man smells like flowers, frankly it makes one suspicious of his sexual orientation. Amouage, for example, doesn't seem to understand this. Perhaps this is because Amouages are made, as I understand, primarily for Arab men who live in societies where that question doesn't come up, but I live in a very gay friendly city and I need to be careful about these things.
    Hoax! No real person could say that he lives in a 'gay friendly city' and - in the same sentence states that he has a 'need to be careful about these things'.

This is an oxymeron. And it replicates what CREED is about. It tells that 1) fragrance is about resembling something smell wise 2) is a social signal with well known codes 3) it works beyond someones will. By that again CREED is for the naive, period. It is situated far below a bearable style. If as Mickey Mouse was considered literature.

I forgot about Arab men - seems to be a secret dream of many. I'm straight by the way, which doubles my obligation.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    Just waiting for WildThingy and whoever Addict calls himself nowadays to chime in now!
    That crystal ball of yours is working like a charm this evening, JC

Blog Entries

2. They understand genders. Heterosexual men shouldn't be wearing flowery scents. Grass? fine. Gourmand scents? fine. but if a man smells like flowers, frankly it makes one suspicious of his sexual orientation. Amouage, for example, doesn't seem to understand this. Perhaps this is because Amouages are made, as I understand, primarily for Arab men who live in societies where that question doesn't come up, but I live in a very gay friendly city and I need to be careful about these things.
    This statement really surprised me! BN is one of the most tolerant gender-orientation places I can imagine, as is the fragrance industry in general. I thought that, in this day, we were beyond such "suspicions" re: someone's sexual orientation. As for me personally, I am just a beginner in the world of fragrances. I really don't know "squat" yet! But I am enjoying myself alot. And I find one element of that enjoyment is finding out that I like floral scents, and knowing that this is OK now, whether I am straight or gay. Who cares? (I am totally straight by the way). I just happen to like flowery scents. That's less of a "gay" thing than it is a "century" thing. In the 19th century, so we are told, (heterosexual) men tended towards wearing flowery scents more than in the 20th century and beyond.

P.S. Annick Goutal is underrated as well
    Agreed!

Peace, Breck
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    I'd wager the OP is another face of Addict and that the thread was started in bad faith. Don't worry, he'll surface for the Creed bash-fest just like the omnicient Thingster.

Martin

Let's also not forget:

5. Affordable. Creed sells its wonderful creations so cheaply that one wonders how they can even survive in this economy. Creed seems to be more of a charitable enterprise, rather than a profit-obsessed company.

6. Consistent. There is no other house with which one can be sure that paying a meager couple of hundred dollars, or even $600 (who's counting?) one gets the product one has been hoping for, at the highest level of quality and consistency imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I'd wager the OP is another face of Addict and that the thread was started in bad faith. Don't worry, he'll surface for the Creed bash-fest just like the omnicient Thingster.

Martin
    Jazznpool, these are allegations which are silly not a little. Have something to say about the topic, whether Creed is overrated or underrated, go ahead, but kindly stop stalking fellow BN-ers with conspiracy theories and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeltov View Post
    Jazznpool, these are allegations which are silly not a little. Have something to say about the topic, whether Creed is overrated or underrated, go ahead, but kindly stop stalking fellow BN-ers with conspiracy theories and the like.
    I do know the mods have been alerted about you and yet another end run around them.

Martin

I'm heterosexual and I wear floral fragrances.

I think you have issues.

I, for one, think this entire thread is questionable at best.

LOL! Creed and homophobic comments in the same thread. If it isn't an outright troll I would be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    I do know the mods have been alerted about you and yet another end run around them.

Martin
    If the mods reply to you, as it must be the case, that I don't have multiple identities and there's no connection between me and Cerel9/etc., will you have the common sense to admit and apologize about it?

Or is it that in the fanatic war for Creed's One And Only Truth there's no space for civility and truth?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeltov View Post
    Or is it that in the fanatic war for Creed's One And Only Truth there's no space for civility and truth?

And you say that Martin is the one who believes in conspiracy theories? Oh, the irony!
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.