Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme vs Dior Homme Intense-Artistry vs More Sweetness?

I believe I will be wearing my Dior Homme tonight. I was curious about your thoughts, not regarding which of these two perfumes is "the best choice" (which has been discussed at length many times, without any conclusive answer, as fragrance is personal.) More as to what you think about the actual COMPOSITION and the smell (not if it's stronger, which has more sillage, longevity, etc.)

I was curious since both were made by different perfumers, and it seems that Francois Demachy tends to compose a lot of the flankers for Dior, changing things here and there, but in practice, "revising" the original artwork. As an artwork, do you prefer Polge's version, or Demachy's? I have not smelled the Intense, because it's hard to find at a good price (if you are able to find it in the first place.) I am convinced from personal experience that the original artwork is gorgeous, beautiful, nearly a flawless modern perfume. As art, is it necessary to posses Demachy's revision of the original? Could you try to sell me Intense as a beautiful fragrance?

I am not sure if I am making myself clear, since I tend to wax poetic. Basically, what I am asking is, on entirely artistic merits, which one do you like more (or if you like both equally), and why. My initial opinion is that the original artwork is the original idea of the original creator of the perfume, and that the reviser's version is not meant to surpass it, but just to offer an alternative: in other words, the original IS the masterpiece.

Having said that, feel free to "sell me" Intense as Demachy's own beautiful interpretation of the original masterpiece by Olivier Polge. This is not about which is "better," but about what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Dior Homme vs Dior Homme Intense-Artistry vs More Sweetness?

Thats actually a very interesting interpretation of the two, and I definitely see your points!

To me, DHI is more "to the point", not as artsy as the original.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I have tried the "light" EdC version and Intense...still prefer the original, despite its huge Iso E Super content. All three are lovely, and I think you can't go wrong since all three are better than most main stream offerings.

So I guess Demachy revises them to go for a specific market while keeping the spirit of the original. The compositions seem to be slightly different according to reviews (so it's not just amping up, or diluting the concentration.) I don't doubt his versions smell good, though. I wish the same perfumer did the revisions! (No offense to Demachy at all, he's done great.) And I am going to wear Dior Homme (the original) right now. Although I wouldn't mind at least sniffing the Intense, just to check it out.

Thanks for your kind opinions!

Funny but I have had both in my collection for quite a while and honestly never had the curiosity of doing a side by side comparison. Perhaps one of these days...

Dior Homme is liquefied heaven in a bottle. Dior Homme Intense is an iris infused with cocoa

Starace: I have several DH SAMPLES and several DHI BOTTLES. This would point you toward my preference. IMO, DHI contains enough of the elements of the original to maintain a unique and classy feel, and the resemblance is uncanny in a younger/older brother kind of way. However, for me DHI shines above the original in several aspects. 1. The projection and longevity is superior. 2. It is more masculine; even though it doesn't stray too far from the original, the cocoa "butches it up" a bit, so to speak. 3. And related to the second point, it is significantly more gourmand and an overall sexier fragrance. I feel more confident wearing it 4. DHI tends to evoke more of the "Oh my god, you smell good comments (and looks) than the original. Keep in mind, now I've worn the original about 10 times and DHI 50. But per wearing I would still stand by this statement. 5. DH is still a good fragrance, but I highly suggest you procure a bottle of DHI. I really can't see you wanting to swap it out after a few wearings. I found mine on ebay but you can often get on Amazon.com thru beatyencounter. My long 2 cents....

(Edit: after re-reading your original post I see you were trying not to focus on "which lasts longer," etc. as to what to address. However, I will keep this info up there. Overall, as for the composition, I like the more gourmand direction in DHI, as it is smooth and not "overly gourmand" (for people who find things like New Haarlem not wearable). The iris still plays a key role in making the fragrance unique, but I much prefer the balance in DHI over the original)
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Thanks all for your insights. Wearing it again last night was a beautiful experience.

So basically, Demachy's turned the original into a gourmand for those who don't love gourmands (theoretically), with more cocoa and vanilla, right? So I surmise it's indeed sweeter, but not too much. What about that spiced-baked apple smell that Sanchez mentions on the guide? Is that merely her perception, or is there any actual note that was added, different than those offered in the original?

I love gourmands myself, and imagine that I would enjoy the Intense as a fragrance, but the original is so well balanced and beautiful... the masterwork! Without it, there wouldn't be any Intense. I can even imagine that Mr. Demachy must love Polge's original as well. I hope to get to sniff the Intense some day, hoping it's as sweet as I would want it to be.

DH is art and very unique.

DHI is IMHO "just another vanilla fragrance" with hint of iris, leather and better than average longevity.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I am wearing DHI again today. This time I like it much more than before. It has more vanilla than original but less iris and cocoa. It is also less formal than DH. They are both very nice and I think that I will have to buy bottle for daily wear because DH is harder to wear.
    I also have Dior Homme Cologne on another wrist - it is weak compared to DHI, without gourmand aspects but still more interesting than majority of fragrances on market.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I am wearing DHI again today. This time I like it much more than before. It has more vanilla than original but less iris and cocoa. It is also less formal than DH. They are both very nice and I think that I will have to buy bottle for daily wear because DH is harder to wear.
    I also have Dior Homme Cologne on another wrist - it is weak compared to DHI, without gourmand aspects but still more interesting than majority of fragrances on market.
    I agree with your thoughts on DHI it is a very beautiful fragrance that just keeps getting better as time goes by. I love the cocoa, vanille and that apple pie smell in basenotes. I have the original and though I like it I concur that it is hard to wear, I have been thinking about picking up the intense version for a while now.

This is a tough one to answer. I have bottles of all three versions of Dior Homme, and I guess if I have to pick a favorite, it would be the EDT, mainly because I see it as being more versatile than the Intense version. However, I think as works of art, they are pretty equal.

I'm not a fan of gourmand fragrances, I don't think I have any in my wardrobe right now. I don't consider Dior Homme Intense to be a gourmand, but I can see how some people would. I might be crazy for having that opinion, but I think that in itself is really a testament to the outstanding work Mr. Demachy did with the Intense version.

It has many gourmand aspects--to me, it smells like hot cocoa/cocoa powder, with some vanilla and slight touch of iris in the drydown, and I can see where some might also get the "baked apple pie" associations as well. However, it's so tastefully rendered, that I don't necessarily classify it as a gourmand fragrance in my head, and that's not to say that gourmand fragrances can't be classy. I don't think you have to be a fan of gourmands to enjoy the Intense version. I think a better analogy would be to compare Dior Homme Intense to a rich oriental such as Shalimar rather than to compare it to something like Angel Men for example.

Having said that, I can't see myself wearing the intense version in warmer weather.
    For me, it's strictly a cool/cold weather/cool spring/autumn night scent, or a nice "clubbing" scent. I also think it would be great for special occasions, and dates. Every once in awhile, I'll wear it to work, but very lightly applied. The sillage and longevity of this fragrance are amazing. I can put it on in the morning, and still get faint whiffs of it the next morning.

The EDT has very good longevity, but on my skin at least, I don't think it projects that well. It's more of a close to the skin scent after the first hour or so. And I think it can be worn all year around, with the exception of summer--I think then it is strictly a cool evening fragrance. The EDC on the other hand is my least favorite of the trio, although it is a very good fragrance. The problem I have with it is longevity. I know it is a "cologne" version, but for the price, I am a little disappointed that it doesn't last more than 3 or 4 hours on my skin. It is very similar to the EDT version, but is slightly "brighter" and more fruity. And also, I think it is only slightly more suited to warmer weather than the EDT, it's lighter, but still a very "avant garde" fragrance for men, that walks the masculine/feminine line in much the same manner as the EDT. I wouldn't wear it in temperatures above 85F or on high humidity days in the summer.

So, to sum it up, for purposes of versatility, the EDT is a slight favorite for me.
    But if I am going to wear one of these three purely for personal pleasure and enjoyment, Dior Homme Intense is the winner, with the EDC a distant third.
    Last edited by cpp214; 1st July 2011 at 06:50 PM.

I don't like the original.
    The Intense version gave me an olfactive orgasm.

The longevity and sillage is incredible.
    It's not a huge whafter, but when you move around, this cloud of DHI is surrounding you, giving serious blasts.

I applied it 7 hours ago.
    The iris is now on the background.
    There is now this almost undescribable vanilla-chocolat-sweet-caramel scent, quite complex to my nose.
    Sillage is now, after 7 hours (!!!) at it's strongest point.
    And that is from 3 sprays to the chest.

This is a masterpiece.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I have tried the "light" EdC version and Intense...still prefer the original, despite its huge Iso E Super content. All three are lovely, and I think you can't go wrong since all three are better than most main stream offerings.
    Yep. The original is the best of the line.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Love the original, EdC, and Intense versions. Trying pretty hard to like the Sport version, but so far. . . not quite there yet. . .

I am a big fan of the EdC in particular. If you're even halfway into the Dior Homme line, you really must buy a bottle immediately. It's exhibiting a lot of signs of rare/collectible. That is, if you don't drain the whole bottle yourself, because it is such fine stuff.