Code of Conduct

Default How to tell the difference between different Perry Ellis (1985) versions.

Though I didn't detect any differences in the bottles, but rather the boxes (facsimile signature on the orignal but no way to know what the Anniversary one contains), I looked on the bottom of the bottles. I guess the reason I never thought of that is because on ebay the sellers rarely take a photo of the bottoms of the bottles. Anyway, the original bottle had no sticker, but rather this, raised in the glass itself (no ink):

© 1985

PARFUMS STERNS INC

SGD 6

On the new version, there is a sticker which says, among other things:

Falk Fashion Group, Eau de Toilette, and there is a Florida address and then a serial number is stamped on top of it, apparently (it doesn't look like it was part of the sticker originally).

So, if you have a Perry Ellis for Men that looks like the 1985 bottle, please take a look
    and post here about what you see on the bottom, whether or not it is the Anniversary edition. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th June 2011 at 05:04 AM.

Default Re: How to tell the difference between different Perry Ellis (1985) versions.

As I told you previously, I have a 5oz. EDT Perry Ellis for Men (Anniversary Edition). It is the SAME looking bottle as the 1985 debut. It does have a sticker on the bottom of the bottle which says Perry Ellis for Men /EDT 5oz./ Parlux Fragrances and a Florida address. It does appear to have some sort of number on the sticker...

Default Re: How to tell the difference between different Perry Ellis (1985) versions.

Thank you very much. That's what I really wanted to know.

Basenotes Plus

Hey Bigsly -

I know a seller who has a bottle of Perry Ellis for Men (2.5oz size) made by Parlux - claiming it is "Vintage".

True?

I know it predates Falic Fashion Group's bottling, but is the only true vintage bottle made by Parfums Sterns? The short, squat bottle ("Cologne for Men")?

Or can one get a taller, vintage bottle that has the notes you are discussing - and does Parlux have them?

Please let me know as soon as you can - I need to make a decision soon.

Thank you & best wishes,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Thank you very much. That's what I really wanted to know.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hey Bigsly -

I know a seller who has a bottle of Perry Ellis for Men (2.5oz size) made by Parlux - claiming it is "Vintage".

True?

I know it predates Falic Fashion Group's bottling, but is the only true vintage bottle made by Parfums Sterns? The short, squat bottle ("Cologne for Men")?

Or can one get a taller, vintage bottle that has the notes you are discussing - and does Parlux have them?

Please let me know as soon as you can - I need to make a decision soon.

Thank you & best wishes,

ericrico
    I wore the original fragrance by Sterns back in the day....and to my memory the AE edition has less vanilla in the base...It still lasts as long and the overall impression of the fragrance is intact. I am partial to it for a number of reasons...primarily I was a huge admirer of Perry Ellis and his talent as a men's fashion designer.....AND it is the only fragrance (along with the original women's) which he personally signed off on prior to his death. The newer Perry Ellis signature which debuted a few years ago, is nice...but not distinctive enough to set it apart from a sea of fragrances.........

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Hey Bigsly -

True?
    I haven't tried that version so I don't know. I certainly wouldn't pay more for it than I would for the most recent version, just in case it is the same as that one.

Basenotes Plus

I decided to pass on it, Bigsly.

I did enough research to find out the Parlux was producing it just prior to the latest formulation (Falic Fashion Group) and I am in strong belief that Parlux actually made the Anniversary Edition - which this bottle was not. Therefore, I couldn't warrant a purchase.

Curious now more and more about the original vintage...

I said I didn't really care much for getting it (the squat Cologne for Men, Perry Ellis signature box by Parfums Sterns) - but after reading and re-reading the scent pyramid, this could very well be a masterpiece.

And, as you are correct, the current juice is (in essence) an entirely different fragrance and one that I enjoy. So, I would not be duplicating my collection.

Hmmmm...

Best wishes to you.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I haven't tried that version so I don't know. I certainly wouldn't pay more for it than I would for the most recent version, just in case it is the same as that one.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Just acquired a bottle of the Parlux version and it's closer to the original, though clearly not as complex, rich, deep, or natural smelling. If you find the newest version too simple or "synthetic," try to at least sample the Parlux one (if you can't find the original).

Basenotes Plus

I've had the Original (a full 100ml bottle) for a few months now after finding a NIB bottle that was cared for exquisitely! It is fantastic. I have done only a couple of test/sample wearings as I learn about it more. I have it in my secured storage facility, so getting to it can be difficult. What I found recently made me want to learn even more - the After Shave Lotion in the same squat bottle. Rich in emollients and full of amazing fragrance...this is how After Shaves used to be! I am going to decant some of the Original Vintage juice soon (as I just recently found the After Shave). A layered wearing will be brilliant.

Hard to classify as a scent as it incoporates a lot. I found different notes came forward during different testings. An atomizer is a must - note separation will really allow this to show its amazing full potential.

Cheers,

ericrico

There's a vintage splash on sale on Ebay now. I think it's about eighty dollars. Tempting.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    There's a vintage splash on sale on Ebay now. I think it's about eighty dollars. Tempting.
    I've got a never used original 100 ml bottle for $60, so that ebay listing shouldn't be that tempting. LOL. The Parlux version is one I am going to have to give a full wearing to before deciding if I will wear it again. I'm not sure if the ingredient quality is good enough for me.

I got a 75 ml bottle.

The one with the Perry Ellis signature in the front. Black background.

The box says Parfums Stern, 1988

But it has a big sticker at the back, with a paragraph description of the fragrance.
    And SANOFI written on it.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE