Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Creed Erolfa.

Order a 2ml sample of this today, but was wanting some opinions on the fragrance as this seems to be one that isn't reviewed a lot. First off I'm not paying anywhere near full retail price and can pick up a 4oz bottle for less than $130.00. Also I'm a big fan of MI and have heard that this is like the sport version of MI. I was also looking at Virgin Island water in place of this. Finally, I live in Florida so I can use summer fragrances almost all year long.

I'd just like some opinions about the scent itself, sillage, and longevity results for people. A keeper or money spent better somewhere else? Last thing is I've heard this getting compared to Chanel Egoiste Platinum. People that have both which one would you chose? Thanks guys and gals.

Default Re: Thoughts on Creed Erolfa.

This one is very well done with top notch ingredients but for me when I first smelled it I was reminded of a lot of cheap deodrants that use the same marine notes. Also it was a bit to salty for my tastes.

The saltiness reminds me of spray-on perspiration. It's OK, but I got very bored with it after just a few weeks. Never got through a 5ml decant.

Personally like it a lot. I find it very refreshing.

I've been doing a lot of research on various Creeds and have basically eliminated Green Irish Tweed (Just purchased Chez Bond), MI (which I have), Silver Mountain Water (which I heard is very close to the skin and has very little sillage), Himalaya (have Paco Rabanne XS), and Original Vetiver (I have Muglers Cologne).

So the choices I'm narrowing it down to is Erolfa, Virgin Island Water, Green Valley, and Royal Water. I wanted something with moderate sillage and lasts at least 3 hours. By 3 hours I mean you can still smell the heart and not just the musk and ambergris.

I love the smell of erolfa from start to finish. However, start to finish usually is only 2 hours on me or so I still keep my tester because I can't let it go but longevity is a major issue. I even said something to a Creed rep in NY about the short life and he said oh yes its because its predominantly citrus and so on. Id suggest trying the sample on yourself and see how long you can get out of it.
    As for the comparisons to PE I don't really get that a ton. However it is somewhat similar to MI in the salty sea vibe, but I like that. MI kills Erolfa in longevity though. Definitely don't pay for retail especially since I've heard older bottles are actually better than newer ones for Erolfa.

A 2ml sample won't be enough to get the fragrance. You'll need to use at least 1ml each application which will only last two applications. If I were you I would just put the entire sample up and down both arms and really let the smell get out there, otherwise you won't know what it smells like from a full bottle.

But basically, EROLFA is a subtle and complex orange scent. Its primary note is citrus, but there's other stuff going on there too. It's not as salty as some people say (you could easily not smell the salt at all). It's also not as marine as fragrances that actually have significant amounts of salt and seaweed notes, and in fact you could say this isn't marine at all. It's just a light, subtle citrus scent. I spray 10 sprays every time I wear it. Great "I'm not wearing a fragrance" fragrance.

Maybe my favorite Creed right now. Smells nothing like Platinum. It's salty and fresh smelling.

My favorite Creed fragrance without competition. I grow up by the coast, and that`s exactly what Erolfa smells like. Fresh, salty seabreeze. Aaahh...Like it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I've been doing a lot of research on various Creeds and have basically eliminated Green Irish Tweed (Just purchased Chez Bond), MI (which I have), Silver Mountain Water (which I heard is very close to the skin and has very little sillage), Himalaya (have Paco Rabanne XS), and Original Vetiver (I have Muglers Cologne).

So the choices I'm narrowing it down to is Erolfa, Virgin Island Water, Green Valley, and Royal Water. I wanted something with moderate sillage and lasts at least 3 hours. By 3 hours I mean you can still smell the heart and not just the musk and ambergris.
    Seems like VIW would be well pretty suited, considering where you live. Green Valley might be cool, as it's supposed to be going away.

Love it, a high-quality fresh scent with a famous salty note. I get some bright floral notes from it, too. Lasts a long time on me. Perfect for summer, and any other time of the year when you want to have a fragrance flashback to summer.

The thoughts were short lived and they spanned a time frame of approximately February 06 - April 06.

I've narrowed it down to Erolfa, Silver Mountain Water, and VIW. Samples are in the mail. Thanks for all the input guys and gals.

Erolfa is great and while I like and find VIW refreshing, I limit VIW to summers only while Erolfa can be enjoyed year around. I have been playing with my sample of Erolfa and have been considering it for quite some time. Aventus, MI, Erolfa are some of creed's freshest.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

My least favorite Creed.....This had serious lasting issues on my skin.....Gary

I'm not a real fan of the opening, but after wearing my sample for a while, I really started to enjoy the scent after about an hour. I ended up buying a small bottle of it...it didn't hurt that a couple girls complimented me at different times both while I was wearing this.

For warmer days my favourite Creed right now. I personally don't have any problems with longevity, but Cerel9 is right.
    I tend to need up to 8-9 spritzes to really enjoy it.

Just gave my sample a full wearing today. Used the entire 2ml's. Definately a skin scent. Sillage and projection are almost non-existent. Think I'll stick to Horizon for my herbal aquatic.

Erolfa?

Lovely opening, then it disappears.

Typical Creed waste of money.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

2mls is going to induce olfactory fatigue. That's the equivalent of 20-25 sprays.

I easily get 8 hours or more out of this with 2-3 sprays. Never ever try to judge the longevity of something the first time you wear it. So many BNers have observed that by the 3rd or 4th (sometimes even 2nd) wearing of a new frag, they're able to perceive it for much longer than on the first wearing where the brain quickly blocks it out. It's a pretty common phenomenon that I think needs to get discussed more here so that more become aware of it.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Erolfa to me is the best and most realistic oceanic on the market. It's not "chlorine" like L'Eau Par Kenzo or Bvlgari marine......no Baby Wipes or noxema like Profumum Aqua Di Sale....no raspberry BBW undertone like Mare, No excess spices/warmth like Sel Marin........just the cool refreshingly crisp air, salty, briny seawater, seaweed, greenery, citrus trees and flowers in bloom on shore....very enjoyable and smooth..... for such a structurally complex scent.

Here's the old (and i think more honest) note list from Creed's webistes around 4-5 years ago:

Ozone, Sea Salt, Marine Algae, Seaweed, Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Lime, Morrocan Tangerine, Mandarin, Violet, Honeydew Melon, Jasmine, Cyclamen, Ginger, Coriander, Pepper, Caesarean Basil, Rosemary, Cumin, Pine, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Musk, Ambergris

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    2mls is going to induce olfactory fatigue. That's the equivalent of 20-25 sprays.
    MM....just how I wear my Erolfa! About 16-18 of the small sprays from the leather atomizer's smaller nozzle. Nothing exceeds like excess.

Well, I think once you've grown to nkow a scent, it can be easier to avoid olfactory fatigue w/ more sprays. On a first wearing though, I definitely think it's counterproductive.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Just gave my sample a full wearing today. Used the entire 2ml's. Definately a skin scent. Sillage and projection are almost non-existent. Think I'll stick to Horizon for my herbal aquatic.
    That a very wise decision IMO - a much better fragrance for a lot less money.

If you still want to try others, I would recommend Christiane Celle Calypso Marine.

Also, wear as much as YOU think is appropriate.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th June 2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Instead of Erolfa, I got a good deal on VIW from D'dara which I couldn't pass up. Was looking for a good Friday fragrance and thought VIW is about as fun as you can get. Mon-MI, Tue-M7 Fresh, Wed-Horizon, Thursday-SMW, Friday-VIW, and whatever goes with what I'm doing on the weekend. I'll have to give that one a sampling Petruccijc. While I'm thinking of it does anyone know of any coupon codes for D'dara?

I figured out what Erolfa smells like. It's a fragrance that's very popular that smells like it could have been make by Creed because it mimics the signature Creed opening. That fragrance is dah..dah...Bleu de Chanel.

Take a second look at SMW. You mentioned that you'd heard it was weak. I actually find it to be one of the longer lasting Millesimes. It's stronger than MI on me, and I think that ink toner note is kind of unique and nice. It's a good one.

I find Erolfa to be an overrated dung heap - I can see the comparison to Bleu, but Bleu is much nicer - not as ozonic and caloney.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Take a second look at SMW. You mentioned that you'd heard it was weak. I actually find it to be one of the longer lasting Millesimes. It's stronger than MI on me, and I think that ink toner note is kind of unique and nice. It's a good one.

I find Erolfa to be an overrated dung heap - I can see the comparison to Bleu, but Bleu is much nicer - not as ozonic and caloney.
    I don't get the ink note in SMW. Black currant, tea, with a slight metallic edge is what I perceive, but maybe it's all of these combined that produce the ink accord. Very happy I didn't listen to the negative comments, because I think SMW is fantastic.

I didn't see the connection between the two until I drenched my wrists in Erolfa and then it hit me instantly. Agree with you 100% in that Bleu is superior.

Bleu is the epitome of mundane safety, Dreary in a bottle. I can't see the Erolfa comparison at all.

Erolfa smells too old-manish...barbershopish on me.

Very different than Imperial or Platinum. VIW would be a better choice for summer, ignoring overpriciness, longevity, etc. Aventus seems to perform OK in the heat as well, although that may not be what you are looking for.

MI is my fave. Gets a little muddled & funky in humid heat but workable, fine for dry heat & all seasons.

Your experience sounds right. Creeds generally have low projection/sillage which I like. Erolfa is probably the most subtle of all Creeds which means its projection/sillage will be very low.

Couldn't get more than 30 mins from my Er0lfa sample.

I'm lucky enough to have all the Creeds,I've collected them for many years so I'm in good shape to comment on this. Erolfa is a classy long lasting Creed that goes under the radar,but I'm good with that because it means it's even more unique. I've heard all the comparisons,just because bottles may share a few of the same notes doesn't make them similar? I believe that Erolfa is untouchable,this juice is the real deal. It lasts from 6-8 hours,reports of 2 hours are ridiculous! I've tested Erolfa in every condition and it stands up,fact!

I rate this as number 1 over every other Creed,that's a big statement I know, I never saw it coming either when I first started testing.
    1. It smells incredible.
    2. It lasts as long as Aventus.
    3. It has the best dry down of any Creed.
    5. Woman love it!
    4. It's classy and even blokes ask what it is.
    Last edited by Beaky72; 20th August 2014 at 09:52 PM.