Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile What perfume has given you most compliments?

Who is the best compliment-giver of all your perfumes?

This is quite a fun aspect of wearing perfumes, even if one isn't wearing perfumes for others, but for oneself. Some perfumes really fits oneself, and I guess the given complments is realted to what really suits you! - At least for me, my fav perfume gives me most compliments. You see below wich one, it is the first in my fav list!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Hypnotic Poison and Antaeus.

Default Re: What perfume has given you most compliments?

Fahrenheit.

Patchouli Noir by Il Profumo - the first time I wore it to work, I got four compliments in a row. Made me think: did I just pay 100+USD for a crowd pleaser?

Ambre Sultan infact most Lutens.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Hypnotic Poison and Antaeus.
    I just bought my first bottle of HP, so curious to test this!

Anyway, maybe Angel in the early days, or NR for her.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Cristobal and Cuir Beluga get me the most compliments.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Nohiba by E.Coudray

I dont get compliments at all, sometimes Tobacco Vanille get me one or 2, but very rare.

I think people dont notice my colognes and overspray all the time

Don't feel badly d4N13L, I almost never receive compliments either. Occasionally I'll get a backhanded one from my husband, as in "That one is isn't too stinky". He used to like Fracas, but I seldom wear that now. I think he used to like Shalimar, too. I did receive a rare compliment on Musc Nomade from a friend a few weeks ago. She said, "your shampoo smells sooo good!" Maybe it was shampoo she was smelling. :-/

Ambre Sultan and some vanilla, I don't recall which one, are probably the only ones that have garnered more than one compliment.

I don't often get compliments. Not sure how much it is cultural (which can mean one's subculture, as well as national culture) and how much it is that I'm careful not to spray so people can smell me from a distance. Also I don't interact with many people due to the nature of my work and having more solitary hobbies.

d4N13L, it might be partially cultural that people don't often compliment your fragrances. Also, you say you overspray - if a fragrance is nice but too strong, people are less likely to compliment in my experience as they don't want to encourage wearing it that strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    I just bought my first bottle of HP, so curious to test this!
    I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I don't get many compliments either, but no. 1 in this aspect is Chergui, probably Tabac Blond next, also L'Heure Bleue and Amouage Lyric Woman from what I recall.

Blog Entries

The last time I smelled HP, I thought she could be a cousin of Dune! A hypnotic cousin.

Anyone in NYC is going to get compliments eventually for 2 main reasons (1) We New York girls (and guys) want to steal your great smells so we are not shy about asking you nosy questions (specifically the name) so we can buy it for ourselves and (2) we are 9 million or so packed onto a tiny island, so we are constantly ON TOP OF each other in elevators, cabs, trains, restaurants, theaters etc...you eventually smell all the good, the bad and of course...the ugly.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Currently wearing: L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I've got the most compliments on Cuir De Russie and Mauboussin.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I dont get compliments at all, sometimes Tobacco Vanille get me one or 2, but very rare.

I think people dont notice my colognes and overspray all the time
    Same here Daniel . I am always very happy if I get a compliment but they are super rare for me.
    Which is why when I wore Beyond Paradise, I was amazed how many different people actually said they loved it.
    Chanel No 5 - especially when I was a nurse- the patients I looked after ,loved it. I always got lots of hugs from my patients, wearing No .5 !
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

I don't get many compliments or comments about smell, I think I've got the typical American "flight initiation distance" so not really squished up against people.

But I have gotten unsoliciated-complimented on the Body Shop Love Etc.

And, like Lillybelle, have certainly gotten the backhanded compliments from the man, compliments like "that doesn't stink" or "that is OK, it's delicate" meaning he can't smell it and that is something he considers a good quality in a perfume.

Basenotes Institution

Robin- my man can't smell much either. He always says my perfume smells nice even if it does stink . *LOL*

Lol! Love the comments from the other halves. Mimi, at least yours is sweet about it.

Well, that's a relief, I was going to write a very sad comment about how I never get complimented about my perfumes, last one I can remember was a couple of years ago (!!!) and that was Noa Perle, which I find too sweet and have given away since.
    But it seems I am not the only one...

I force my fiancee to smell my wrist sometimes and the best I can hope for is ''Not too bad'' He did notice my Soir de Lune while we were in the car and he had to open the windows. I don't think this falls under compliments...
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Aventus
    - Expect the unexpected

Hermes Kelly Caleche - Compliments from women.
    Chanel Bel Respiro - A lot of compliments from men, and a few women.
    Prada (original) - Compliments from men.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Basenotes Institution

Lilybelle- yes DH is sweet about it. He's just happy I'm occupied I think!
    Froufrou - I also force DH to smell my wrists. It's a bit of a joke with us. He just doesn't understand what the fuss is about.

My DH has the following gradations: "You smell rawr", "You smell great", "You smell nice", and "you smell fragrant". I'm intuitive enough to figure out that "fragrant" is his polite way of saying he doesn't like it.

Back on topic, no one else has mentioned my fragrances and I'm not expecting them to. I wear them pretty subdued, and Seattle's a super polite/passive-aggressive city where no one says anything directly about anything.

Yup, never receive unsolicited compliments on my fragrance either.

Not that I expect comments, but it's funny that people feel much more comfortable remarking upon the visual aspect of one's appearance, e.g. 'I like your jumper', rather than the olfactory.

Blog Entries

Yohji - the original, now discontinued Yohji Yamamoto scent. It has received innumerable compliments both from men and women and I even had to scribble its name down for a couple of times...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Blog Entries

I get the most compliments with my Alien concoction. Alien + Alien Body Oil + Aveda Patchouli Oil + Alien Perfumed Lotion + Baby Magic Original Scented Lotion

I've received compliments on this like 12 hours after I've put it on. This was after working a 12 hour shift and going to the salon to get my hair done when I got off that morning. The receptionist was like oh you smell so good. I get compliments from both men and women on Alien. Men love it on me. Alien replaced my Clive Christian "X" as my date perfume. Alien lasts on me until I wash it off. I absolutely looooove Alien! It is my signature perfume. I just love the way it smells on me. You can catch me smelling myself all the time when I wear it. I just inhale myself lol....
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I tend to discuss my fragrances with my colleague as we are both keen on the subject. I recently brought to her attention that one shouldn't purchase a perfume based on top notes alone. This was a revelation! Anyway - I usually have to point my wrist in her direction but she (and the other girl) like;

J'Lo's Love and Glamour! (soz :-(
    L'Heure Blue
    Most of the Creeds
    Narcisco Rodriguez
    Grey Vetiver

Once i get my samples I can go through them with her :-)

I receive rarely compliments about my fragrances , actually it's happening only when I wear some Andy Tauers like: L'Air du desert, Le Maroc, Orange star or Une Rose vermeille and also when wearing FM Portrait of a Lady , all of them "hard stuff" complicated perfumes. I'm surprised because this is never happening when I 'm wearing much "easier" frags like Love or Love&Tears from Killian or from Annick Goutal and expecting to receive comments.....

I tend to underspray, that is, spray enough for me and not enough to drive people away. So maybe I need to amp it up a bit. But the result is, very few comments on my scents. The latest compliment was for Chopard's Casmir. A lady at church said, "My! you smell good!"