Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile What perfume has given you most compliments?

Who is the best compliment-giver of all your perfumes?

This is quite a fun aspect of wearing perfumes, even if one isn't wearing perfumes for others, but for oneself. Some perfumes really fits oneself, and I guess the given complments is realted to what really suits you! - At least for me, my fav perfume gives me most compliments. You see below wich one, it is the first in my fav list!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Hypnotic Poison and Antaeus.

Default Re: What perfume has given you most compliments?

Fahrenheit.

Patchouli Noir by Il Profumo - the first time I wore it to work, I got four compliments in a row. Made me think: did I just pay 100+USD for a crowd pleaser?

Ambre Sultan infact most Lutens.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Hypnotic Poison and Antaeus.
    I just bought my first bottle of HP, so curious to test this!

Anyway, maybe Angel in the early days, or NR for her.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Cristobal and Cuir Beluga get me the most compliments.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I dont get compliments at all, sometimes Tobacco Vanille get me one or 2, but very rare.

I think people dont notice my colognes and overspray all the time

Don't feel badly d4N13L, I almost never receive compliments either. Occasionally I'll get a backhanded one from my husband, as in "That one is isn't too stinky". He used to like Fracas, but I seldom wear that now. I think he used to like Shalimar, too. I did receive a rare compliment on Musc Nomade from a friend a few weeks ago. She said, "your shampoo smells sooo good!" Maybe it was shampoo she was smelling. :-/

Ambre Sultan and some vanilla, I don't recall which one, are probably the only ones that have garnered more than one compliment.

I don't often get compliments. Not sure how much it is cultural (which can mean one's subculture, as well as national culture) and how much it is that I'm careful not to spray so people can smell me from a distance. Also I don't interact with many people due to the nature of my work and having more solitary hobbies.

d4N13L, it might be partially cultural that people don't often compliment your fragrances. Also, you say you overspray - if a fragrance is nice but too strong, people are less likely to compliment in my experience as they don't want to encourage wearing it that strongly.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    I just bought my first bottle of HP, so curious to test this!
    I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I don't get many compliments either, but no. 1 in this aspect is Chergui, probably Tabac Blond next, also L'Heure Bleue and Amouage Lyric Woman from what I recall.

Blog Entries

The last time I smelled HP, I thought she could be a cousin of Dune! A hypnotic cousin.

Anyone in NYC is going to get compliments eventually for 2 main reasons (1) We New York girls (and guys) want to steal your great smells so we are not shy about asking you nosy questions (specifically the name) so we can buy it for ourselves and (2) we are 9 million or so packed onto a tiny island, so we are constantly ON TOP OF each other in elevators, cabs, trains, restaurants, theaters etc...you eventually smell all the good, the bad and of course...the ugly.

I've got the most compliments on Cuir De Russie and Mauboussin.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I dont get compliments at all, sometimes Tobacco Vanille get me one or 2, but very rare.

I think people dont notice my colognes and overspray all the time
    Same here Daniel . I am always very happy if I get a compliment but they are super rare for me.
    Which is why when I wore Beyond Paradise, I was amazed how many different people actually said they loved it.
    Chanel No 5 - especially when I was a nurse- the patients I looked after ,loved it. I always got lots of hugs from my patients, wearing No .5 !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I don't get many compliments or comments about smell, I think I've got the typical American "flight initiation distance" so not really squished up against people.

But I have gotten unsoliciated-complimented on the Body Shop Love Etc.

And, like Lillybelle, have certainly gotten the backhanded compliments from the man, compliments like "that doesn't stink" or "that is OK, it's delicate" meaning he can't smell it and that is something he considers a good quality in a perfume.

Basenotes Institution

Robin- my man can't smell much either. He always says my perfume smells nice even if it does stink . *LOL*

Lol! Love the comments from the other halves. Mimi, at least yours is sweet about it.

Well, that's a relief, I was going to write a very sad comment about how I never get complimented about my perfumes, last one I can remember was a couple of years ago (!!!) and that was Noa Perle, which I find too sweet and have given away since.
    But it seems I am not the only one...

I force my fiancee to smell my wrist sometimes and the best I can hope for is ''Not too bad'' He did notice my Soir de Lune while we were in the car and he had to open the windows. I don't think this falls under compliments...
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Aventus
    - Expect the unexpected

Hermes Kelly Caleche - Compliments from women.
    Chanel Bel Respiro - A lot of compliments from men, and a few women.
    Prada (original) - Compliments from men.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Basenotes Institution

Lilybelle- yes DH is sweet about it. He's just happy I'm occupied I think!
    Froufrou - I also force DH to smell my wrists. It's a bit of a joke with us. He just doesn't understand what the fuss is about.

My DH has the following gradations: "You smell rawr", "You smell great", "You smell nice", and "you smell fragrant". I'm intuitive enough to figure out that "fragrant" is his polite way of saying he doesn't like it.

Back on topic, no one else has mentioned my fragrances and I'm not expecting them to. I wear them pretty subdued, and Seattle's a super polite/passive-aggressive city where no one says anything directly about anything.

Yup, never receive unsolicited compliments on my fragrance either.

Not that I expect comments, but it's funny that people feel much more comfortable remarking upon the visual aspect of one's appearance, e.g. 'I like your jumper', rather than the olfactory.

Yohji - the original, now discontinued Yohji Yamamoto scent. It has received innumerable compliments both from men and women and I even had to scribble its name down for a couple of times...
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I get the most compliments with my Alien concoction. Alien + Alien Body Oil + Aveda Patchouli Oil + Alien Perfumed Lotion + Baby Magic Original Scented Lotion

I've received compliments on this like 12 hours after I've put it on. This was after working a 12 hour shift and going to the salon to get my hair done when I got off that morning. The receptionist was like oh you smell so good. I get compliments from both men and women on Alien. Men love it on me. Alien replaced my Clive Christian "X" as my date perfume. Alien lasts on me until I wash it off. I absolutely looooove Alien! It is my signature perfume. I just love the way it smells on me. You can catch me smelling myself all the time when I wear it. I just inhale myself lol....
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I tend to discuss my fragrances with my colleague as we are both keen on the subject. I recently brought to her attention that one shouldn't purchase a perfume based on top notes alone. This was a revelation! Anyway - I usually have to point my wrist in her direction but she (and the other girl) like;

J'Lo's Love and Glamour! (soz :-(
    L'Heure Blue
    Most of the Creeds
    Narcisco Rodriguez
    Grey Vetiver

Once i get my samples I can go through them with her :-)

I receive rarely compliments about my fragrances , actually it's happening only when I wear some Andy Tauers like: L'Air du desert, Le Maroc, Orange star or Une Rose vermeille and also when wearing FM Portrait of a Lady , all of them "hard stuff" complicated perfumes. I'm surprised because this is never happening when I 'm wearing much "easier" frags like Love or Love&Tears from Killian or from Annick Goutal and expecting to receive comments.....

I tend to underspray, that is, spray enough for me and not enough to drive people away. So maybe I need to amp it up a bit. But the result is, very few comments on my scents. The latest compliment was for Chopard's Casmir. A lady at church said, "My! you smell good!"

Tom Of Finland
    Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Mamoir Man
    Mark Birley

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

People in the Midwest tend not to compliment fragrance because they think it's too personal -- almost as though they're invading your privacy if they acknowledge that they've smelled you.

Despite that, I have received a few compliments, and they're invariably for:

ELdO Divin' Enfant
    Sonoma Scent Studio Wood Violet (I received 4 compliments yesterday alone!)
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    FM Carnal Flower

Basenotes Institution

I forgot - I once received a wonderful compliment on Kilian's Love . I was wearing a tiny drop from a sample . That stuff's pretty potent and gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I forgot - I once received a wonderful compliment on Kilian's Love . I was wearing a tiny drop from a sample . That stuff's pretty potent and gorgeous.
    I adore that fragrance! It really is gorgeous.

Basenotes Institution

It really is ,Lilybelle. Just one drop and it radiated for so so long .
    All this talk of compliments and perfume.........I ordered another bottle of Beyond Paradise because this is the one that seems to get me the most compliments and damn -I could use more compliments right now............ *LOL*

Blog Entries

Compliments are very validating, and from the right person can mean a lot but honestly, as an introvert, I always find it a bit awkward getting a compliment from a stranger or acquaintance, and it's juvenile I know, but I hate people knowing my perfume secrets...I always want to give them the wrong name of the fragrance. of course I don't...not yet anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Robin- my man can't smell much either. He always says my perfume smells nice even if it does stink . *LOL*
    Oh my, he can smell very well. He just can't like perfumes. Reasonably tolerant but doesn't like any of them. Except the Avon vanilla body wash, he does like that scent. Other than that, the only ones he thinks are any good are those he cannot percieve. He doesn't whine about it or anything though, just never any positive comments.

Madame X by Ave Luxe.

The oddest was from the person behind me when leaving church after a funeral. Wanted to know what it was, too. Rather disconcerting.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler!

I would love to give more compliments than I do, but people do seem a bit shy talking about the fragrances they're wearing. Maybe it's a vulnerability point. Sometimes the person is open about it and I enjoy the discussion. Nobody ever asks me, however, and I'm a chatterbox.

Mimi, sweetie, I LOVE your fragrances! If you were anywhere in this vicinity you would be getting compliments galore from me.

I forgot one that DH complimented me on recently - unasked. It was a sample of Maison de la Vanille's Vanille Divines des Tropiques, which a Basenoter had sent a while back. DH seems to enjoy tropical florals. I only mention his compliments because nobody else ever says anything!

Over many years it was always Hugo Deep Red. Recently Versace Bright Crystal or Bagdley Mishka Couture about tied.

queen of the universe

Mollie Parnis! I bought a bottle of the EDP in 1978 and there is but a glaze of it at the bottom, and it has turned. Can't describe it, tho in sampling a decant of vintage Miss Balmain I found similarities, tho MP does not have MB's fond du ashtray vibe.
    Anyway, people followed me around when I wore it. It is a luxuriant floral, and I don't usually do florals.

Strangely... Dior Pure Poison and Gucci II

I rarely get compliments on my fragrances ( I think I tend to "underspray") I have recieved compliments on Hypnotic Poison, Angel, Narciso Rodriguez FH edt, Trouble, Love's true blusih light and # 19.

I didn't realize how many of us there are who do NOT receive fragrance compliments.

You all smell mesmerizing!

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I didn't realize how many of us there are who do NOT receive fragrance compliments.

You all smell mesmerizing!
    Yeah, I usually get compliments from friends, and only a very (very) few times at work. I think because by saying "you smell good" it's like giving an implicit approval of your personal taste. People, at the office, get easily competitive and are not always ready to give you their approval...

Does it make sense? I'm sorry but my english is particularly awful today.
    Last edited by alfarom; 23rd June 2011 at 02:42 PM.

It makes very good sense, and your English is just fine.

It makes very good sense, and your English is just fine.
    Thanks Lilly

I have worn perfume to work every single day for the past three years, and have only ever received compliments about Alien, Casmir, and, to my surprise, Omnia. I say to my surprise, because whenever I wear this fragrance I am unable to smell it on myself after the first half hour, and I'd always assumed that after that period of time it would be undetectable to others too. Obviously not!

Basenotes Institution

Mimi, sweetie, I LOVE your fragrances! If you were anywhere in this vicinity you would be getting compliments galore from me.
    *smile* Thanks Lilybelle !

The only perfume my sister has ever complimented me on is vintage Joy parfum - which completely surprised me because she usually hates everything I wear. It was completely unsolicited too which makes it even more amazing ! *LOL*
    Saying that , once when wearing the same perfume, I had a guy step back from me in obvious distaste ..............I laughed.

Basenotes Plus

I very rarely get comments on my scents. Not a big sprayer, though. I like to smell it on me but don't care if I have sillage.
    Probably explains it.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Opposite of compliment: One day I went crazy testing up and down both arms and neck and stuffing my purse with paper strips after coming back from Barney's and Bergdorfs -- then I got on the subway and managed to make people sneeze and vacate the car around me. I was so embarrassed.

Banned

Dior Addict. It never fails. It's a boxer shorts dropper!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by semisweet411 View Post
    Madame X by Ave Luxe.

The oddest was from the person behind me when leaving church after a funeral. Wanted to know what it was, too. Rather disconcerting.
    It must have been the combo of incense and civet. Naughty.

happy is the bleu heart<3

Angel for sure. I couldn't possibly count the number of compliments I've received over the years with Angel. But then, I've worn it for the longest of anything in my collection.

Others:
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Dior Addict
    Eau des Merveilles

and believe it or not: Pink Sugar!
    Last edited by shadesofbleu; 25th June 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling

I used to get complimented a lot on Angel but for some reason I can´t bear to wear it anymore These days L by Lolita Lempicka seems to be the crowd pleaser - last week I wore it to work and a female colleague was wearing Hypnotic Poison so we had a very happy day complimenting each other and discussing perfumes in general

Velouette- You are clearly my fragrance doppleganger! I need to try all the scents you have.

Spent all day at the IMATS (Make up Trade Show) in Pasadena. Got quite a few compliments on the new Burberry Brit EDT I just got. It smells AMAZING. I love it.

I think I am a sillage slayer, or wear things most people don't like. The last time I was complimented on my scent was in 1999!

Therefore, by default, the perfume that has gotten me "the most compliments" is Escada's Sunni Frutti in 1999.
    Last edited by Pamplelune; 26th June 2011 at 11:45 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Biggest compliment getters for me lately have been Saffron James Le'a and Ormonde Jayne Frangipani Absolute. During the winter months it was Dior Hypnotic Poison and Chopard Casmir. Also, anything with tons of vanilla seems to get compliments.

Basenotes Plus

There was a time when I rarely if ever was complimented on my fragrances. I decided I wasn't wearing enough for it to be noticeable, began to apply a little more freely -- and the compliments started rolling in. Now I get lots more positive feedback on whatever I happen to be wearing on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Also, anything with tons of vanilla seems to get compliments.
    This is true for me as well. Vanille Noire du Mexique, Vanille Divine des Tropiques, Pink Sugar all are guaranteed compliment magnets.

Musk seems to have a similar effect. I am always complimented on Perfect Veil and Egyptian Goddess.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Wow, I'm sad. I haven't received any unsolicited comment at all since I got serious about wearing a scent.

I'm definitely ordering a sample of dior addict.