Code of Conduct

Default My Fragrance Adventures in France: What I Bought, Where I Bought It, and What I Wore

When one travels with a spouse who not only dislikes fragrance, but also may get headaches from being inside a shop, one picks and chooses one's excursions carefully. Also, really, I do love perfume, but I also love art, architecture, food, and chocolate shops. So I planned my French forays with great care.

I knew that I would buy Vol de Nuit parfum in Paris. Why? So that every time I would apply it, I would remember. I decided to forgo the trip to the Champs Elysees store to buy at Le Printemps because I had a coupon--well, I didn't read the small print! I still have my fabulous VdN, but next time I go to the crystal paradise that is the Guerlain flagship store.

Then I was off to the Divine store on rue Scribe. It was wonderful to see this underrated house in its own house! It is a lovely shop with a charming SA. We spoke about the need for a Divine presence in New York. Divine used to be carried at Takashimaya, but hasn't found a home since Tak closed. I recommended Henri Bendel and gave the address to the SA. And I bought L'Inspiratrice and L'Ame Soeur.

I finally visited Grasse. I have wanted to go ever since the perfume museum reopened in 2008. The museum was charming. Seeing the collection of vintage bottles behind glass was so tantalizing. Really, I wanted to crash through and smell Coty Chypre! The factory tours were predictable. But I did shop at the Molinard boutique. My daughter wanted Habanita parfum in the beautiful flacon. I bought Nirmala, which got a lot of love here on Basenotes several years ago. There was also a new release, Patchouli Intense, which I fell in love with. With such a purchase, the SA threw in a tasteful burlap bag, soaps, lavender edp, and loads of samples.

When I travel, I bring along decants and samples to use. What did I wear daily? Histoires de Parfums' 1969. It felt so right every single day. One of these days, I must get a big bottle.

After these two glorious weeks (or after a Sniffapalooza purchase orgy), I sit sated and can't imagine ever needing another new fragrance. Have you ever felt the same? It's funny how the feeling passes....

Default Re: My Fragrance Adventures in France: What I Bought, Where I Bought It, and What I Wore

Lovely trip you had!

Default Re: My Fragrance Adventures in France: What I Bought, Where I Bought It, and What I Wore

Lovely! What more do you want than buying Vol de Nuit extrait in Paris? Really! How does your daughter like the Habanita parfum? Ever sampled Roja Dove's Enslaved for cross-checking? I think it would be interesting to do so with a sample. Sounds like a fantastic trip and thank you for sharing here!

Great account, all my personal favorites. What concentration and presentation of Nirmala have you got? How does Patchouli Intense compare with other patchouli fragrances out there?

What did French people smell of?

Please answer at your leisure, I know you probably need another vacation after all your travels.

Blog Entries

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Thanks for sharing.
    Wifey and i just got back from Paris too (in April), so your recount reminded me of the trip too.

Basenotes Plus

Yes... Yes...YES, Thank you and merci mille fois for the fragrant travelogue...
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Thank you Therese for letting me live vicariously through your trip! I dream of a Paris trip!

Love the description of a fragrant Paris!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Twolf, dear:
    I got the Nirmala edp, accompanied by body milk. Only one formulation was available.
    The Patchouli Intense is deep, warm, with a bit of chocolate, and most like Krigler's Lovely Patchouli.
    And the Vol de Nuit in that beautiful splash bottle is just unbelievable: it feels, and smells, like velvet on the skin.

My daughter loves her Habanita, especially the tasseled squeeze bulb. Larimar, I have never smelled Enslaved. I will need to now. And I thought that I would never need to smell anything new again!

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    And I thought that I would never need to smell anything new again!
    That is about how long my ideas about not needing to smell new things last when I'm around basenotes!

Thanks for sharing about your trip.

Sounds as if you had a most wonderful time. That is what it is all about. Now bask in the glow of VdN and remember.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post

My daughter loves her Habanita, especially the tasseled squeeze bulb. Larimar, I have never smelled Enslaved. I will need to now. And I thought that I would never need to smell anything new again!
    Ooooh, that special edition, some kind of Molinard anniversary thing... decadently beautiful. I was sorely tempted! Beautiful buy! Never say never, you know...

How I envy you Therese. I would just adore going to Paris, and experiencing some of the joys of the perfume world there. I too would buy Vol de Nuit as my reminiscence perfume. Pure bliss in a bottle.

I too have lived vicariously, for just a moment, reading your post. We antipodeans have such a long way to travel to reach many worthwhile destinations, that we often have to just be armchair travellers. 'Ah well, we can dream,' she says, as she reaches for her Vol de Nuit (just EDT I'm afraid - the extrait is on the list of things to get sometime in the future)

Basenotes Plus

1969 from Histoires de Parfums is indeed a gorgeous fragrance & is one of my favorites. I do wish I'd smell it on more ladies in SG.

Thank you for sharing your travel experience, Therese. As a lover of beauty, I too enjoy art in its various forms - music, architecture, dance, cuisines, sculptures, paintings, perfumes etc. My only experience with VdN was with some vintage EDT but from all accounts, it seems the parfum could be a different experience altogether.

Thanks, Diamondflame.
    I was alive and kicking in 1969, and the fragrance really does evoke the late sixties for me. Patch and fruit and heat. I have always loved patchouli in the summer. It was a year of righteous anger and hopefulness and strong belief that we could make a glorious change.
    In honor of that spirit, I bought, in Paris, a copy of Indignez Vous!, by Stephane Hessel. Hessel, now in his nineties, is a former Resistance leader, who exhorts today's youth to rise up to fight injustice. It is a wonderful way to practice French for me!

By the way, the fragrance that I sniffed most frequently in France was Angel!

Basenotes Plus

Therese thank you for sharing such a wonderful recap. I savored every word!

You did a good perfume deed in sharing Bendel's contact info with the SA at Divine. It is a fine house and ITA that they need to be back in NYC.

The Molinard Patchouli Intense has me intrigued, especially since you note a connection to Krigler Lovely Patchouli.

Congratulations on your purchases (oh, that VdN flacon, swoon) and enjoy!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Merci encore et encore pour le rapport de voyage. (Mac translator cheat.)

You mightn't have taken any photos we could get riled up about, might you?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.