Code of Conduct

Default A perfume dunce in need of help.

Hi everyone,

I'm useless at choosing perfumes, I can never make up my mind if I like a smell or not, so I'm hoping someone can offer some advice based on my brief post.

I much prefer fruity scents over floral, as I think floral can be too overpowering, but most fruity perfumes I've tried are far too sweet and smell too 'young' to me.

The one perfume I have that I adore is Flora by Gucci EDP, I first smelt it while it was on display in an airport and it went straight on my Christmas wishlist. I love everything about it, the smell is so comforting. The only problem is, its too expensive for me to wear as an everyday work perfume, so I only wear it occasionally, which is such a shame.

I'm hoping maybe someone has similar preferences to me and can recommend a perfume I could try thats a reasonable price for day to day wear.

Thanks so much, my fingers are crossed.

Sarah.
    Last edited by falling40; 19th June 2011 at 09:18 PM.

Default Re: A perfume dunce in need of help.

Can you give any more information about specific ones you found too sweet or too young, or any others you liked?

If you have access to a Sephora or perfume counter I suggest spraying a perfume on and then wearing it for the rest of the day - that will give you time to decide whether you like it. Just don't feel pressured to buy one until you've worn it for a day and had time to decide on it.

And welcome!

Blog Entries

Yes indeed WELCOME!

Your request is by far the most common posting seen on this sub-forum. And it is always darned difficult to adequately satisfy your desire for counsel, mostly for lack of adequate information. I always wonder with these kinds of requests by new members whether they want a quick answer and then off they go, never to be seen again; or, if they intend to make fragrances a new hobby and are willing to put in the time and effort necessary to basically answer their own question, in time.

That said, if you like Flora by Gucci EDP, do a bit of research on that scent. http://www.nstperfume.com/ is a great place to start. They have a great search function. Just put in "Flora by Gucci" and you'll get several reviews of it. In reading those reviews I believe you'll start to get a feel for what Flora is, what group of scents it is a part of, and then once you know what fragrance family it inhabits, you can begin to look at the others in that family, some of which, surely, will be more affordable.

I hope you'll find fragrance as much fun and as intriguing as we do.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Thanks so much for your replies.

I wish I could say that I plan on making perfume a hobby, but I just dont have the nose for it. My nose is completely unrefined.

I never thought about trying a perfume on and then wearing it for the day. I'm going to have a go at that, as opposed to smelling multiple bits of paper and getting myself confused.

I'll have a look on that website as well to get some more information.

I dont plan on dissapearing after this post, as I do find the forums quite interesting, I just fear that I dont really have a lot to contribute. =S

Blog Entries

That's OK. No one says you have to "contribute". Lots of folks who come here are what's called "lurkers" (which always sounded a bit perjorative to me). Hang out and read and you might start putting twos and twos together. I'm a newcomer myself (only since February) and my nose is completely unrefined too!
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Basenotes Plus

Hi, Sarah. Welcome to Basenotes. Don't underestimate your nose just yet but give it a chance - it will suprise you yet.

I think Flora by Gucci is one of the better designer fragrance releases by Gucci so you have nothing to be ashamed of. Start looking out for bargains on eBay & try them out to see if you enjoy wearing them. Pretty soon you'll have a sizeable wardrobe of fragrances on rotation.

Alternatively, go easy on the pocket & buy samples/decants. Though they may cost more on a per ml basis, your commitment upfront is much less and you get to wear what you like & not get stuck with bottles of stuff you are bored of wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by falling40 View Post
    I wish I could say that I plan on making perfume a hobby, but I just dont have the nose for it. My nose is completely unrefined.

I never thought about trying a perfume on and then wearing it for the day. I'm going to have a go at that, as opposed to smelling multiple bits of paper and getting myself confused.

I dont plan on dissapearing after this post, as I do find the forums quite interesting, I just fear that I dont really have a lot to contribute. =S
    Welcome!

As Diamondflame says, dont give up on your nose just yet. I was (probably still am) just like you when I started a month ago. Totally clueless, had smelt maybe 3 fragrances in my lifetime and just an all round novice. My nose could only pick up very basic scents, but as they say, the more you practice the better it gets.

Im slowly (very slowly indeed!) picking up different, more subtle scents when Im sampling now. I found a huge problem was that I couldnt put a word to a scent, but that is where places like this come in extremely handy. The huge database and thousands of user reviews is a great port of call to find out what you are (or should be smelling) and of course everyone here is willing to offer a helping hand. A better understanding of what you are smelling is actually a big help in 'refining' your nose shall we say.

On the sampling side, not trying too much at once is a very important point. Noses like every other part of your body gets tired when over exerted and the term used on this site a lot is 'olfactory fatigue'. If you are smelling too many different scents, your nose gets tired and just shuts down.

As for not being able to 'contribute', dont worry about it, we all have to start somewhere! Personally I spend most of my time lurking these boards because my knowledge on this subject is next to nothing. However it is a great place for me to post my thoughts on different fragrances I have tried and the people on here are so quick to help whenever a query arise.

At the end of the day, this should be an enjoyable journey, introducing your nose to a host of weird and wonderful new scents!

Blog Entries

What Maninja said.

Even a month ago I was just lurking and felt like I couldn't articulate a thing I smelled. Now, just from reading Basenotes, I sound like the most educated person at the perfume counter! (Okay, that came off sounding like a 3am infomercial to sell Basenotes...) But seriously, if you read this forum you end up learning and teaching your nose without even noticing and with little "effort."