Code of Conduct

Default Help! Fragrance & a visit from an ex-flame!

Dear Basenotes, this newbie badly need your expertise. Recently, an ex-flame has been discussing the possibility of visiting me this summer. "Aha!" I said to myself, "this calls for an appropriate fragrance."

A bit about me if that helps you formulate an opinion; I'm 24, living and working in NYC (Brooklyn and Manhattan). I consider myself to have an independent personality and I enjoy intellectual discussions, but I like dirty jokes as well. I'm petite, with hair like Louise Brooks and a mixed (some say "exotic") ethnicity.

I'm looking for something sensual and captivating. Something that clings to me and begs him to lean in closer--a scent that inspires longing. Maybe something a little dirty.

I don't want a scent so cliche that he likely dated someone else wearing the same thing (he is slightly younger, still in college), but I'm not opposed to a mainstream fragrance. I like the idea that he smelled it on me first, but might meet someone else who wears the same thing and then thinks of me.

I tried Opium, which I rather liked, but a friend of mine who works in fragrance was quite adamant that it was better suited to a more mature and worldly woman and that I would do better in something "younger" (I know fragrance is supposed to be what you want but I also respect the opinions of others who know more than I). The problem is I'm not wowed by most fragrances marketed toward my age group. I find them too sickly sweet, or too fresh, or not complex enough. On the other hand, I hate in-your-face, powdery fragrances like Chanel No 5 (I personally think people only continue to buy it because of the hype). I like the idea of Shalimar (the history, the story, etc.) but I'm afraid it will end up being like Chanel on me.

I have been toying with using a men's fragrance instead because they strike me as more complex, but maybe I am making an uneducated assumption. Also, I don't want something so overtly masculine that it's a turn off.

My fragrance vocabulary is very limited, so I apologize for my inability to more effectively communicate what I'm looking for; I have really only ever owned Angel and Euphoria. Angel I liked because it was the first scent I tried that didn't smell overwhelmingly floral, and I liked how long it lasted on me. Euphoria I wore mostly for someone else who liked it, and is the only fragrance I've ever worn to get responses from men (so I kept wearing it) but I'm not super in love with it.

Any recommendations would be awesome--I'm lost here and don't know where to begin!
    Last edited by flossyglam; 20th June 2011 at 03:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! Fragrance & a visit from an ex-flame!

Have you tried Chanel no.5 Eau Première or Eau de Shalimar? I would actually recommend the new Shalimar Parfum Initial, but it's not out yet in America, since it's just a tad dirty.

All of these are younger versions of classic fragrances, but they still carry the beauty and the gravitas of the originals, without the anachronistic vibe that some of these older fragrances can have when smelled by the wrong person.

You might also consider Tom Ford Black Orchid. It has the oomph and exotic character of the classics, but it seems fresh and modern. It really sounds "you" - exotic and mysterious dark, powerful scent with a bright floral center. Wish my wife liked it.

PS - Welcome to Basenotes! (or at least to posting. I see that you joined shortly after I did! )
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 20th June 2011 at 05:19 AM.

"Intellectual" and "dirty jokes" reminds me of the Etat Libre d'Orange range ($95, at Henri Bendel), things like Jasmin et cigarette or Vraie blonde. If things go forward, depending on the situation, you can peruse Le Labo Oud 27 (dirty musky), or Etat Libre d'Orange Rien or Piguet Bandit (S&M).

More seriously, if you like orientals, you can also check Vol de Nuit (by Guerlain, which you can find at Bergdorf Goodman, or Saks and the like).

My guess, though, is that he couldn't care less, as long as you do not overapply. So go light, whatever you choose.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    My guess, though, is that he couldn't care less, as long as you do not overapply. So go light, whatever you choose.
    ditto

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

l agree with Redneck's recommendation of Black Orchid; it was the first one l thought of when reading your post! lt has a dark, almost masculine edge when first applied, but dries down beautifully into a swoonworthy, addictive, sexy scent. l got a compliment from a man the very first time l tried it.

Have you tried LouLou by Cacharel? lt was named after Louise Brooks & is another dark floral, not unlike Angel. lt's not for everyone, but perhaps it might suit you?

Good luck!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Nejma II

+1 for Black Orchid, and Musk Ravageur is a unisex, too, that is hot HOT HOT! However, they both are rather expensive.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio
    Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    ditto
    +3. Odds are if he's a "normal" guy, he'll be more concerned about the "goods" and less about your fragrance.

I'll agree with No. 5 Eau Premier. I wore this last month, and it's quite sexy on me; I assume it would be much better on a woman. Classy, but certainly not stuffy.

Also, for something closer to the masculine side of things, yet still too femme for me to wear, look into Elixir and Amarinthine, both by Penhaligon's. Amarinthine is quite green, some vanilla, I really liked it, but it dried down just too... soft, I guess. Elixir is a wonderful, refreshing rose/incense on me, again a little too femme on the drydown, but totally captivating.

I will suggest to try Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere, too. I image it as a witty cute girl with a kind heart would wear. Certainly wouldn't say it is common, it is not sickly sweet, not aquatic and is not the stereotypical Chanel No.5 tone.

Black Orchid and No.5 Eau Premiere seem to be winning by a mile so I will try those two and see how they work out. I am really touched by all the thoughtful responses and would love to take the time to hunt down some of the more obscure suggestions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wood500 View Post
    +3. Odds are if he's a "normal" guy, he'll be more concerned about the "goods" and less about your fragrance.
    Of course I agree 100% with this statement, but it's more about creating a scent memory trigger than anything else.