Code of Conduct

Thread: Baffled

Default Baffled

Hi

This is my first post so Hello to everyone - this is a great site and my wife and I look in regularly.

We were at Mahon airport last Saturday and I was fortunate to test Ecensia by Loewe. We both loved it - the smokey, woody, grassy and a kind of unfathomable something you kept coming back to in order to try and work it out. Absolutely wonderful. Not so wonderful was walking away from it and seeing whether we could pick it up for less back home in the UK. I ordered 5 oz from a well known UK mail order company on Sunday, and blow me down it arrived this morning. Fantastic service. Trouble is, the scent is not what I experienced in Spain three days earlier. Not unpleasant, but none of the smokey, mysterious, can't put my finger on it wonderful stuff - rather instead it is straight forward, soapy, clean, nice but wouldn't have spend 80 had I known.

Please why might this be? Psychological? Batch issues? Heat, body, environs? I'm a bit baffled really.

regards

Pete

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Baffled

Welcome to Basenotes Pete_and.

If I were you I would try a sample from at least one of the more reputable online fragrance dealers and compare that to your bottle.

Could be yours has been ill treated in storage. If it doesn't stack up to the sample(s) then I would try for a refund. You may get it.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_and View Post
    Please why might this be? Psychological? Batch issues? Heat, body, environs? I'm a bit baffled really.
    Could be any of these or a combination of these factors.

Hi, I'm kind of a newbie, so take this with a grain of salt. I have noticed that frags smell different on me on different days. For example, one of my faves is M7, and I know for a fact that some days it has a really boozy, medicinal thing (IMO), and sometimes it's more boy-next-door fresh on me, IMO. This is my take on it, for what it's worth. Hope this helps.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Blog Entries

Mahon? Do you mean Port Mahon in the Minorca?
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Don't mean to sound cruel.... but you know that old saying "A bird in the hand...." ??

Just looking at the reviews on here, it would appear that the bottle you've bought in the UK is correct - it matches the descriptions, none of which mention any smokiness. Maybe you sampled something different at Mahon - maybe a flanker??

Interesting though......

Reformulations happen very often these days.

You know sometimes, when you watch a movie the second time around, you will notice something in the movie that you didn't see the first time you watched it? Same thing can happen with perfumes. You sniff it the first time and you think you've smelled it all. Then the second time you sniff it, you think it's different? When you smell something for the first time, sometimes you are "wowed" by it because it is the first time this "scent" registered in your brain so you think it is fantastic.

That's why in this hobby, sampling is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    Mahon? Do you mean Port Mahon in the Minorca?
    Yes, that's right.

regards

Peter

I had some inconsistency smelling on scents too, but funny thing was I was only using 1 bottle, and scent was sometime nice, sometime weird. I finally figured out what was the reason that kept my scent annoyingly soapy. If I wash and put the scent immediately, the scent became weird. I needed at least 1 hour before spraying scent on my body. Take my experience with a grain of salt.

So I shall suggest you to spray scent somewhere on paper and smell it on somewhat cool area. It will remove 'skin chemistry' and heat thingy.
    But I also suspect it could be issue of reformulation since in the readings on Basenotes.net the company of Loewe seems to made Loewe pour Homme a rubbish already.

Pete, do you have a cold or allergies? Sometimes when my allergies kick in, I can only smell part of a perfume.

Thanks for everyone's comments and replies and taking the time. Very much appreciated and helpful. Thinking about it and considering the comments I think I'll just chalk this one up and say the tester I used and the environment (busy airport, folk testing all sorts of stuff etc) gave a false reading or left me with a different impression. Unfortunately I can't find a sample vendor. The retailer would take it back and pass it onto the suppliers for 'testing' and if found defective would refund or replace, which is fair enough.

regards

Pete

I've found that using different soaps/body washes can affect the way a fragrance smells on me - and I almost always use a different soap when I'm on vacation than the one I use at home. Perhaps you were using a different body wash while you were away?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    I've found that using different soaps/body washes can affect the way a fragrance smells on me - and I almost always use a different soap when I'm on vacation than the one I use at home. Perhaps you were using a different body wash while you were away?
    Ah, could be. I'll try that tomorrow. I used La Toja soap whilst away - (I use La Toja stick version for shaving as a rule anyway - one of the very best lathers I find).

regards

Pete