Code of Conduct

Thread: Scent memories

Lightbulb Scent memories

Today I sampled Musc Ravageur. I instantly fell in love. I tried to figure out why... this scent was so familiar, so comforting, nostalgic even. Then it dawned on me...

When I was a senior in high school, I went to a local store that sold odds and ends, kitchen implements, scented candles, artsy-craftsy ephemera and so on with my then-girlfriend. The store had tiny bottles of fragrances mixed by the lady who owned it, quite inexpensive. I smelled them all and found one I really liked. In high school and my freshman year of college, I wore that perfume oil whenever I had occasion to stand out a bit. It smelled sweet and spicy, with a sandalwood, vanilla, and musk. Memories of my freshman year dorm, dalliances with various co-eds, halloween night hijinks, and so forth came rushing back when I realized where I'd smelled the scent before. I had completely forgotten I owned that little bottle.

Musc Ravageur smells almost identical to that perfume oil, but with a bit more oomph and more clearly discernable/less artificial notes. I am in love. I think I was always in love. Even if I remembered where that store was, I doubt it is still there.

How about you? Ever discover/rediscover a scent that brought memories flooding back?

Default Re: Scent memories

Nice story. Every time I wear Balafre, it brings back memories of my wedding day and it's a very comforting feeling.

Voleur de Roses seems to evoke a scent memory of a very old bowl of pot pourri, but the odd thing is that I can't place where or when - or even if - I experienced that smell before. Very strange, and a bit unsettling.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Eau De Guerlain inevitably reminds me of my grandmother that used to spray it on linen handerchiefs that she was taking out of her purse at any good occasion. Anytime I smell Eau de Guerlain, I see my grandma opening her purse and litterally fill the room with top quality lemon and verbena unwittingly marking my childhood. To me Eau De Gurelain is more the smell of my memory than a body perfume.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Yerbamate (Villoresi) has a great psychedelic green-ness to it that flashes me back to Wellington circa 1971 - innocent middle-class hippie days. I can't put my finger on a specific source but I remember a specific street, late summer evening . . . odd.

L'Ame d'un Héros (Guerlain) exactly a year later, university, a relationship. I suspect the lady in question wore a classic perfume borrowed from her mother . . . who knows, but the scent recall is as clear as day, reaching across decades.

Really like both of these now - glad I found them.

i have unfortunately i cannot remember the name of specifically, I do remember however the first time i smelled acqua di gio once i started getting into cologne i was like, oh i've smelled this around. haha

Musc Ravageur smells like chocolate nesquik on my skin.

My review of Minotaure is like that. When I rediscovered it I went to the moon.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Parfumerie Generale - Querelle... i just dont recall what it was from my childhood that it reminds me of... it saddens me coz the smell has a very strong association with something i had..

My mom's vintage bottles of Cabochard remind me of when she'd dress up —*the powder, the lipstick, the leather gloves. I smelled La Prairie Life Threads Platinum today, and that has the feel of perfumes from her era.

Sometimes, I'll sniff Aramis to get that same effect.

Red face Re: Scent memories

I had a strange flashback with Victoria's Secret Gorgeous, as well. I can't place the familiarity of this fragrance, but I couldn't stop sniffing it. (It doesn't make me sneezy or headachy — fortunately.) I normally go for more natural blends, but there's something alluring about this scent. In terms of nostalgia, it would be as though I smelled Jean Nate, or Love's Baby Soft. Anyway, it's very lingerie-like — a wisp, a fantasy, a touch of cheapness, and totally feminine.

Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche reminds me of the old, dusty wooden furniture my grandmother used to have in her humid cellar. Strange!

Thumbs up Re: Scent memories

THE CARONS POUR UN HOMME, 3RD MAN and YATAGAN, HERMES BEL AMI and EQUIPAGE, EMILIO PUCCI SIGNOR VIVARA, THE GUERLAINS HABIT ROUGE, VETIVER and JICKY, ROCHAS MOUSTACHE, MONSIEUR ROCHAS, ARAMIS, PIGUET CRAVACHE, and others i do not rememer at the moment remember me my dad.
    On the other side the PIGUETS FRACAS and BANDIT, EMILIO PUCCI VIVARA, GUERLAIN CHANT D'ARÔMES ,SAMSARA , JICKY and L´HEURE BLEUE , YARDLEY BOND STREET, remember my mom.
    For this reason i love to wear many of these perfumes of very good memories...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    THE CARONS POUR UN HOMME, 3RD MAN and YATAGAN, HERMES BEL AMI and EQUIPAGE, EMILIO PUCCI SIGNOR VIVARA, THE GUERLAINS HABIT ROUGE, VETIVER and JICKY, ROCHAS MOUSTACHE, MONSIEUR ROCHAS, ARAMIS, PIGUET CRAVACHE, and others i do not rememer at the moment remember me my dad.
    On the other side the PIGUETS FRACAS and BANDIT, EMILIO PUCCI VIVARA, GUERLAIN CHANT D'ARÔMES ,SAMSARA , JICKY and L´HEURE BLEUE , YARDLEY BOND STREET, remember my mom.
    For this reason i love to wear many of these perfumes of very good memories...
    Wow, your parents have good taste!

Cool story man.

For me it was Aramis Life and one hot summer (in Scotland they are rare lol) when i was about 13/14 and being head over heals in loveand spending all day outside. I used that fragrance to impress her because where i stayed i was the only young boy wearing any scent other than body sprays. I used to get teased for it actually but i got the last laugh ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    Cool story man.

For me it was Aramis Life and one hot summer (in Scotland they are rare lol) when i was about 13/14 and being head over heals in loveand spending all day outside. I used that fragrance to impress her because where i stayed i was the only young boy wearing any scent other than body sprays. I used to get teased for it actually but i got the last laugh ;-)
    ^Love this.

Thumbs up Re: Scent memories

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Wow, your parents have good taste!
    Absolutely
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Almost anything, from Axe to niche brings back particular memories from my younger days

Mother: Chanel 19, Quartz's Molyneaux pour Femme, Revillon's Datchema, Lancome's Magie Noire, Gres' Cabochard, Rochas' Madame, Femme, Mystere, Ricci's L'Air du Temps.

Gradmother: Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue.

Grandfather: Habit Rouge and a historical one called Carnaval au Venice, that smelt like JHL.

Father: Signoricci's 1 and 2, Dior's Eau Sauvage, Rochas' Monsieur and James Smart's Leslie and Ambré.

Sister: Opium, Brut and Jovan Musk for Men (yes, and she is not a lesbian).

The smell of marijuana. Can't handle it in my system, but I love to smell it wafting around at an outdoor concert!

Has anyone replicated that? (Like CB I Hate Perfume, or Demeter).

Speaking of Demeter, "Tomato" used to bring me back to that garden-fresh, tomato stems and basil smell. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Sister: Opium, Brut and Jovan Musk for Men (yes, and she is not a lesbian).
    Perusing the department stores, I find a lot of bolder women who are into Chanel Egoïste (the Platinum variety).

Double post