Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Backwards question: Can you recommend cocktails I might like based on my fragrance wardrobe?

Strange as it may seem for my ripe, old age, I haven't had many mixed drinks. I know what I like in the way of beer (dark) and wine (dry, tannic) and champagne (chewy), but can count on my fingers all the other alcohol drinks I've had (not just kinds of drinks but actual total number of drinks). I've liked gin gimlets and scotch on the rocks. Didn't care for bloody mary. Of course, a frosty strawberry margarita is sheer heaven. If I remember right, 30 years ago I thought a rum and coke was just okay. When sampling a sip of tequila and of vodka, I've wondered how either could be enjoyed alone.

Seeing that these are my favorite scents -- Nanadebary Green, Creed Aubépine Acacia, Bigarade Concentree, Mitsouko, Fig Leaf & Cassis, and vetivers and florals in general -- what should I be trying?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Backwards question: Can you recommend cocktails I might like based on my fragrance wardrobe?

Hmmm, interesting question, Quarry!

For the Bigarade vibe, perhaps a Tequila Sunrise (lots of orange juice)?

And for the peach note of Mitsouko, a Bellini might suit.

Might l add that for me a Mojito is the ultimate, for that tropical lime, rum & brown sugar kick that l get from Virgin Island Water, yum!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Backwards question: Can you recommend cocktails I might like based on my fragrance wardrobe?

There's an elderflower liqueur called St. Germain that is very trendy in mixed drinks the last few years. Maybe if you are in your local upscale watering hole (well, maybe there's not so many of those in rural Wisconsin) you could ask the bartender to make you a drink with it. That could address the floral aspect.

HA! My topic, Ms. Piggy, me being a hobby bartender! Mojito is a great call with fresh mint and limes, please! I'd also suggest a real Southern style Mint Julep with real mint again please (call me a nutcase, but I even grow my own special mint for exactly this! ). You don't necessarily have to watch a derby to enjoy a mint julep.
    Having been to Havana (I know you guys can't, although you are missing out on the what is probably the most beautiful city on this planet), I can confirm I have the recipe of the Daiquiri Hemingway was supposed to sip at La Floridita Bar. It's splendid! New Orleans with Bourbon and Southern Comfort is another favorite...
    Want more? Just let me know

What a fantastic question, Quarry! I love the way your mind works. I often make a fragrance-wine connection, but never thought to consider what cocktails I like based upon my taste in fragrance.

My first thought, as Larmar mentioned, was a classic Daiquiri. I used to make those at home until I broke my cocktail shaker. :-/ You might like to try a sazerac when we go to New Orleans. In one of the hotels there is the Sazerac Bar that revolves. My mother brought me there to try a cocktail. A Sazerac has an anise & bitters flavor in whisky. It might be touristy but let's go and try one while we're there, if there is time. A classic margarita might be for you, too, not just the strawberry ones. And how about a Kir Royale, champagne and creme de cassis?

I'm a bit of a cocktail fan and I really like the image of us corrupting Ms. Q. with the love of cocktails in the middle of New Orleans. Let's just remember to make sure she drinks one glass of water for each cocktail to keep her pretty head happy and healthy for the next day's festivities.

My taste in cocktails is similar to yours (although I can't say no to a tequila shot -- or 4 -- and I'm not a huge scotch fan). However, my current favorite is an oldie but goodie: Maker's Mark Manhattan. Yumyumyumyum!

Blog Entries

Great question. There is a vodka flavored with everything under the sun, including tea, basil etc. Some of those are probably good. Personally, I don't really drink but I have always wanted to try this, because of the legend :

Last edited by Fleurine; 23rd June 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I love this question, Quarry.

I'm with lilybelle that a classic margarita might be for you, too. I think it matches your Sel de Vetiver.
    I also agree you might love a classic daiquiri.
    Or perhaps a lemon drop. I've made a lime drop before, too ( just by replacing, obviously, the lemon juice with lime juice).
    Or how about just a gin & tonic? It's pretty much perfect and I'll bet you enjoy the herbaceousness of the gin. Plus the mixer of tonic water makes it less strong.
    You may also enjoy this: fresh lime juice, Malibu rum,and tonic, over ice. Sounds like a strange combo, but they work beautifully together - it's delicious and a favorite for summer.

ExtremeKF, love me some Maker's Manhattans! The best wintertime cocktail.

Now I'll stop lest everyone discovers how many more drinks I enjoy! *hiccup*

Turquoisewater, you and I need to get together for some drinks! The first round is on me!

Quarry, you should try a classic margarita -- on the rocks -- and don't forgo the salted glass. If it's made correctly, it's a great summertime cocktail. Also, I see you've had a gin gimlet... what about a vodka gimlet or a Sidecar?

Also, a sweet/tart one that I used to really enjoy, despite the vodka (which I typically hate) ... I can't recall the name of it, though: vodka, Midori, and pineapple juice. Sweet, tart, fruity, and sharp all at once. It sounds like a summer drink, but I think it's actually better in the fall because it's got some heft to it.

Blog Entries

Another cocktail fan here.

Cannot seem to think of a recipe right now, but let me tell you, everything you mentioned sounds really good. Most of my favorites were already included, even a St. Germain. Mr. W makes me a drink that has vodka, gin, St. Germain, and it has a crushed strawberry too (some tonic water of course). A lovely sophisticated twist on a strawberry daikiri. That's one of my faves (including Mojito and Mint Julep). Mr. W's favorite is Sazerac.

And we'll definitely have to get you a drink using blue Curaçao.

Sipping a Strawberry Daiquiri at the moment, it just came to my head that you seem to enjoy Mitsouko. So, I think anything with Southern Comfort with its peach flavor should be a fine combo for you... Mint Julep with Southern Comfort (I have an original small leaflet that came with the New York Times from 1965 inherited by the aunt of my dad advertising all kinds of variations of classics with Southern Comfort), The Alamo (with grapefruit juice) and New Orleans (with Bourbon, a splash of amaretto, orange and lemon juice). That should do you for a goodnight sleep all surrounded by peach dreams

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

My, my, look at the lot of you -- so quick to help get Quarry tipsy in new and tasty ways. Thank you!

Larimar, it was your fresh berries drink, described a few days ago, that got me thinking about this gap in my education. And then Dora posted this mojito photo yesterday, which looks refreshingly delish and green.

At least 70% of your nominations sound attractive right off the bat, and others are beyond my imagination to guess how they'd taste. I'm going to record and "research" every single suggestion -- over a p-r-o-l-o-n-g-e-d period. I just don't have cause to frequent the many bars and restaurants available locally. (Matilda, I wish we were rural. Suburbanites displaced the cows years ago.) If any of you were nearby, I'd suggest we go out once a week so you could help me with my remedial lessons. I sure hope to make time for sipping in New Orleans with Lilybelle and Matilda.

Citrus? Cassis? Pineapple? Peach? Herbaceous? Accompanied by the warm, relaxing affects of alcohol? You've given me so much to think about. Thank you directing me to what I'll likely enjoy most without my having to waste sampling that which might be .

Yes, the Curaçao -- see, now, I have no idea what that's like, but the description for Marc Jacobs' new frag by that name is one of those back-asswards things that has me thinking about drinking while spelling about smelling.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Don't know what to say by the perfumes, but I know alot about drinks! Based on what you said about your beer and wine choices I would say try the classics. Vodka Collins, Whiskey Sour, Margarita Rocks. When you said you hate the smell of the natural liquors it makes me think this. Most of these alcohols are not always meant to be done in "shots." A silver tequila is ALWAYS meant for blending. Dark aged Tequilas (anejo or resposado) are meant for sipping, not shots. Same with whiskey, fine whiskey, sip, cheap ass whiskey blend. Vodka either mix or drink straight to keep you warm in the bitter winters of Russia. Mostly though I think of the "shot" thing as being something my college friends understand. Or Jagermiester, because it is basically cough syrup. But if you get a good bartender and ask for a top shelf liquor in your blended classic drink I think you will find an exceptionally tasty experience. I think a good Belvedere (vodka) Collins tastes like lemonaide. Whiskey Sour is a similiar drink but made with whiskey so a darker taste you might like if you like tannic wines. Also you might try a good Mojito (Rum and mint based drink) or a Mint Julip. Also on the "classic" list are the 7&7 (Seagrams 7 and Seven Up) and Gin and Ginger Ale. (DELICIOUS)

Hillaire

Your tastes seem dry and classic to me. I'd offer you a really nice, dry martini with Monopolova potato vodka, not gin.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Thanks additionally, katk and Hillaire.

On Friday our live-at-home daughter won a raffle prize from work: a Ninja drink maker whose promotional copy recommends its ability to produce margaritas, daiquiris, and mojitos. Serendipitous!