Code of Conduct

Unhappy Eau d'Orange Verte vs Concentre d'Orange Verte

Yes yes, I know there are many topics on this issue in the database...

I recently sampled the Concentre version, and compared it directly to the original. I wanted to get some opinions regarding my findings. Basically, the Concentre came off as smelling like moth balls on my skin during the transition from top to bottom (especially in the heart). The top is quite similar as Eau, but not as natural and leafy green to my nose. But I just couldn't get over the fact that the original's mossy dry-down was replaced with a woody accord that was sort of reminiscent of the smell of moth balls. My girlfriend tended to agree. Longevity was probably quadruple that of the original, but the orange top notes lasted no longer than 15 to 30 minutes with either version.

I MUCH prefer the original version based upon overall smell and experience.

Did anyone else come out with a similar opinion?

Default Re: Eau d'Orange Verte vs Concentre d'Orange Verte

Yes, the Eau is much texturally "wetter/juicier", and the mossy base in the Eau is wonderful.

The concentre lasts much better, is slightly drier/more powdery, and noticeably more synthetic. The base is sweeter, less mossy, and more citric than the mossy base of the Eau.

For me, both are must owns. I own multiple huge bottles of both, in addition to some of it's predecessor, the original Hermes Eau De Cologne (7oz left in the 25oz jug) pictured on the far left in this pic from last year:

Also of note is that the newer, reformulated version of the Eau in the new packaging:

Still has a drydown every bit as good as the older 1997-2008? Formula. But the topnotes of the last generation were more natural and sweeter. The newer formula is a little more bitter and green in the topnotes. I think this is due to the newer regulations/limits on natural citrus oils and Hermes switch to buchu oils. Buchu smells green and citric, but not quite like unripe citrus. I've worn both Eau versions side by side enough to know that only the tops differ, the heart and base still pretty much smell identical (awesome)

I'm glad you mentioned that about the new packaging/formulation. I found a store that sells both versions, and I wondered about the differences.

I am not fond of the concentre, particularly the topnotes. On me, there is a non-citric tropical fruitiness (papaya?) that just doesn't appeal to me. I like the original, top to bottom, but find that the topnotes degrade (in the bottle). Indeed, I recently tested from a tester at Neiman-Marcus and it was flat on top. So I won't be buying again, unfortunately. I have gone through 2 bottles of the original. I do still love the soaps though. Very nice soap!

I got the Eau... try spraying on your shirt to increase longevity. I got five 1 oz mini-bottles on ebay for $30...

Have both and like both on their own merit.

The original is leagues better than the concentree version. Much like Chanel pour Monsieur and it's concentree form.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have both and like both on their own merit.
    Ditto.
    Here's how I feel about Eau D'Orange Verte concerning longevity...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYDM...eature=related

I feel like I put it on and I'm Super Mario and I've just grabbed a power star and have about 30 seconds of "invincibility". So when I use it, I have to act fast.

For the rest of the time I reach for the Concentré.

is this the only mainstream orange? i can't think of others aside from clinique happy. think i need to add this to my wishlist and remove some of the unrealistic stuff that won't work in the heat.

I always had lasting issues with the original.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Ditto.
    Here's how I feel about Eau D'Orange Verte concerning longevity...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYDM...eature=related

I feel like I put it on and I'm Super Mario and I've just grabbed a power star and have about 30 seconds of "invincibility". So when I use it, I have to act fast.

For the rest of the time I reach for the Concentré.
    Loool lovely analogy.

I personally prefer the concentre. The botlle resides in my desk at work.
    I reapply 4 hours (halfway) into work.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have both and prefer the Concentre, not only for its better longevity, but also because I find it richer and more perfumey.
    But honestly I do love both and I'm jealous of DULLAH's jug!

sherapop

I've owned both, love both. I don't consider the Concentree "just" a stronger version of the Eau; they are relatives but with individual merits.

The Eau, for me, was almost an old-fashioned tonic water - something I wore for invigoration rather than a "serious" fragrance. There were times when I was recovering from fatigue, jet lag or illness when Eau d'Orange Verte was the only fragrant thing I could stand to wear without becoming overwhelmed scent-wise. The Eau was also very helpful to me in overcoming nausea and vertigo in getting over the flu, particularly stomach flu - I just felt cleaner and healthier when I wore it.

The Concentree's mossier notes come forward pretty quickly on me. Underneath the citrus topnotes is a world of fresh soil, green leaves, ferns springing out of fallen logs. I think it's a pretty complex fragrance and it can surprise me even after all these years of wear.

I guess I'm a contrarian here. I adore Concentre d'Orange Verte. I think it's a perfect bitter orange smell (yes, it's not a natural scent, but it's not supposed to be a bitter orange, it's supposed to remind you of a bitter orange). It also lasts much longer than the Eau, which is a nice plus (though I like it a bit better anyway -- Eau is not bad, just not, to me, preferable to Concentre). And I absolutely do not get a mothbally scent out of mine.