Code of Conduct

Default Original Dunhill for Men (1934)... Discontinued or Not?

Hi All,

I've read in some places that this has been discontinued, in others that it is back in production. Went to the Dunhill fragrance site and its nowhere to be found, but do see a few bottled offered by eTailers and on eBay.

So, are these bottles old? Or is it actually available (and if so, why not at the Dunhill fragrance site?

Any info appreciated, thanks

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Original Dunhill for Men (1934)... Discontinued or Not?

I believe it is discontinued and there are several variant formulations floating about.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I believe it is discontinued and there are several variant formulations floating about.
    I think that's pretty accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

It is discontinued. I've owned it in a brown box and an orange box.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is another story about Procter and Gamble's ownership of the brand. Maybe they own majority of Dunhill fragrances (or all fragrances released from year _____), but not all of them (or fragrances released before year _____).
    If you go check Lacoste fragrances (another P&G project) - you will not find Lacoste original. However, Lacoste original is still in production, but the owner is not P&G.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it is in production, it is available over here (Netherlands). Link: http://www.parfumerie.nl/zoek-op-mer...l/for-men.html
    Perhaps it's no longer distributed in the US.
    Jan Pieter

Post Thanks / Like

People have been saying this is discontinued since about 2007, and it continues to be very readily available online. So either it's still in production, or NOBODY is buying it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

It is is not discontinued. There are new bottles around. The company even re-launched Dunhill Edition recently.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Here is a website with the product and some people are saying it is a pale imitation to what it used to be like back in the good old days.lol

http://www.galaxyperfume.co.uk/detai...987&source=346

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Here is a website with the product and some people are saying it is a pale imitation to what it used to be like back in the good old days.lol

http://www.galaxyperfume.co.uk/detai...987&source=346
    There's certainly no accounting for opinions. I have used various issues of Dunhill 1934 since the late 70s till date and can say it remains true to what i first smelt.

Re discontinuation I suspect it is being made available only in specific markets for reasons totally beyond my understanding.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Product- if you're here in Los Angeles there is a store on Wilshire across the street from Niketown in Beverly Hills called The Bevery Hills Perfumery. I have not been there in awhile and not sure if they're still open. They sell a lot of older frags, and used to have Dunhill ' 34.

It's a family run business that sometimes closes just for shyts and giggles, so I'd advise calling first. They have a clunky website and one gets the impression it's not very actively maintained.

it is NOT discontinued.

i just went to the Dunhill store in NYC yesterday----and they had it. In a brown box.....and the same looking bottle as before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antinote View Post
    it is NOT discontinued.

i just went to the Dunhill store in NYC yesterday----and they had it. In a brown box.....and the same looking bottle as before.
    Exactly. Thanks for the post

Sometimes irresponsible goofs write up drama orientated reviews about how the last 1000 bottles got shipped to the NYC store and how the poster made a courageous pilgramage there ( but not before informing us on some more useless info).

But as you say, antinote, this is not discontinued.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Let me say that last year, after reading some of the Basenote reviews, I purchased Dunhill For Men and I enjoy it, although on me the sillage is limited to three or four hours, after which I can reapply lightly.

Reading a Basenotes thread that the original formulation was discontinued, I reread almost every thread on this and other forums and found a great deal of confusion about this 1934 mens cologne.Herein , the results of my research.

The cologne dunhill FOR MEN is the same scent regardless of what color box it comes in and its country of manufacture.Claims by some retailing websites to a limited amount of the "classic" 1934 Edc are misleading sales tactics and should be read as such.

The rights to the dunhill for Men logo and packaging has changed corporate hands several times as has the country of manufacture. It is currently made by SCannon in Germany although in the past it was made and packaged in England, Netherlands and elsewhere.Regardless of the package color or lettering Dunhill For men exhibits the same general scent pattern and sillage.

Some have said that one ingredient, treemosee , was not in the original scent, but regardless, the overall formulation remains true to the original and the scent pattern remains faithful to the original 1934 formulation, from all I could learn

Happy New Year
    Sandy