Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Old favorite Curve for men... Present scent favorite

New member here. I used Curve for men for the Longest time since High School I am now 28 and engaged. I remember using Curve and getting alot of compliments of HS girls and even in college.

I am now looking for a new signature scent but there is so many to choose from. Ordered GIT but Imperial is amazing as well.

I would like to know what you Curve for men fans in the past are wearing now.

Default Re: Old favorite Curve for men... Present scent favorite

Why not the good old Curve again?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I don't know. Seems like I just got tired of it, just got old and noticed too many people wearing it. Have not really smelled alot of GIT or MI around but then again I can't really use alot of cologne in my field (healthcare) due to allergies.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Mont3go View Post
    Ordered GIT but Imperial is amazing as well.
    Welcome. I'm sure you will like GIT when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome. I'm sure you will like GIT when it arrives.
    Still thinking on what the best option is. The Flacon I received from Nordstroms had alot of leakage and was older (made in 2009). MI smells amazing but it does not last as long as GIT.

I think I will always have a soft spot in my heart for curve. I've probably been through a dozen bottles of the stuff and can't remember half of the compliments I've received wearing it. There is no replacement for curve period.

Curve owns GIT

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    I think I will always have a soft spot in my heart for curve. I've probably been through a dozen bottles of the stuff and can't remember half of the compliments I've received wearing it. There is no replacement for curve period.

Curve owns GIT
    So what are you wearing now?

I used to wear Curve in High school / College and sometimes still do. Once I started branching out I discovered I liked gourmand and other "rich" fragrances such as A*Men, A*Men Pure Coffee, La Nuit de l'homme, The One for men, Le Male, Dior Homme, Burberry London, etc. I'm also enjoying more niche scents such as Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille, Aventus, Guerlain l'instant pour homme extreme, and Chergui among others.

Of the Creeds, I like MI & SMW the best. Wearing GIT and Tom Ford's Oud Wood layered with the Oud Wood in the background, is very VERY nice.

I also wear Original Vetiver, VIW & Aventus somewhat often.

I also wore Curve throughout HS and college. In college it was my signature scent becasue it was so affordable and the girls always loved it. However, I moved on and discovered other scents. But, the other day I purchased a 2.5oz bottle and I love it. I'm seriously thinking about using Curve as my signature scent again because no one really wears it these days. Longevity and sillage are great and it's similiar in my opinion to A&F Fierce, but not overdone as Fierce.

Welcome to Basenotes!!!
    Gary

i also wore curve through some of my high school days and college but it wasn't my favorite. the good thing about it though was that it was cheap and universally liked.

if you liked curve, you probably would have liked CK Eternity. Either way, a good step up would be Platinum Egoiste by Chanel or even Allure, including the Allure flankers (sport, etc)

Another alternative is Versace Pour Homme or Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme

nowadays, many of the scents I like are not as easy to wear or versatile as Curve , so i tend to space them out through seasons. l'instant de guerlain extreme is probably holding my no. 1 spot at the moment.

I wore Curve a lot when I was 18-23. I don't wear it much nowadays, but when I used to wear it girls would compliment me on it like it was their job. It's ridiculous how much girls adore this cologne. It's not the most complex or most prestigious cologne, but it's a guaranteed compliment getter that girls adore.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Been recommending this a lot lately, but for something similar to Curve that's a significant upgrade, go with Nautica Voyage, an inexpensive aquatic designed by a master perfumier.

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Curve owns GIT
    +1,000,000
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mont3go View Post
    So what are you wearing now?
    I still wear curve along with others (MI, SMW, Reflection to name a few)... Take a break from it, enjoy other fragrances out there and revisit curve. I might have to change up my NYE plans on wearing Niche and bust out the ol faithful Curve.

My 15 year-old son smells great in Curve! It never really meshed with my skin. It's still great and not at all dated.
    Currently wearing: Spice and Wood by Creed

I used to flirt like CRAZY with a total homely guy I worked with when I was young. I never understood why I had such a fascination with him. One day I realized it was the way he smelled. I asked him what he wore, it was Curve. Enough said

try Versace Pour Homme / Bleu de Chanel / YSL L'Homme

these 3 are great signature scents and universally liked by women

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    THIS! I still wear Curve on the reg, because to this day it's still my most complimented scent. Can be found anywhere and is dirt cheap, that's a win all around IMO.
    Currently wearing: I am King by Sean John

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFish View Post
    I used to flirt like CRAZY with a total homely guy I worked with when I was young. I never understood why I had such a fascination with him. One day I realized it was the way he smelled. I asked him what he wore, it was Curve. Enough said
    Now that's a powerful statement... Curve is a chick magnet for sure
    My current top 10:

I. Molecule 02⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀VI. Ivory Route
    II. Dama Bianca⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ VII. Noir Extreme
    III. Battito d'Ali / AeZ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ VIII. Baraonda
    IV. ud Bouquet⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ IX. Angelique Noire
    V. Love by Kilian⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ X. Amber Aoud

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hayling View Post
    Now that's a powerful statement... Curve is a chick magnet for sure
    Curve has major positive powers. Two sleazy "open-the-box-spray-and-put-back-without-buying" types were in Marshalls, combing through the frags. As I approached, they slithered off, hoping to avoid any witnesses. I immediately felt extreme and shameful antipathy toward the two perpetrators, their country of origin, their religion, their ethnic group, age group, bad teams featured on their horribly mismatched juvenile designer clothing, and all people of similar hairstyles.

But then I smelled something. Good God, it was GREAT. These people had amazing good taste. I combed through the boxes to find what they had opened. CURVE. Knowing that their crime had enabled me to see the beauty of Curve, I forgave them immediately, and all people like them, including bad ball teams and terrible designers.

THIS is the power of the chick magnet, CURVE. Forgiveness, even for BOX-OPENERS.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Curve is great for sure. I've never owned a bottle but a few of my friends have.

I don't have GIT but I have Tres Nuit, which when I first sprayed immediately reminded me of Curve. And then A&F Fierce seems to be on the other side of the spectrum that Tres Nuit is, in relation to this fragrance DNA, with Curve smack in the middle.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Curve did for Claiborne what Eternity did for Calvin Klein in regards to masculine perfumes, in that it set a standard to be followed going forward.

CK loosely interpreted this new precedent as "everything going forward must be relatively simple, synthetic, with a clean opening", which still left a lot of wiggle room.

Claiborne took the success of Curve for Men quite a bit more to heart, and literally decided everything after had to "smell like Curve" until they figured out that they could just make flankers instead.

Thus:

Lucky You for Men = Green Curve (my fave of the bunch, better than actual Curve)
    Spark for Men = Cinnamon Gourmand Curve
    Mambo for Men = Spicy Curve (the worst)
    Bora Bora for Men = Tropical Curve

After that, actual Curve flankers started appearing!!
    oh look, I have a signature

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Curve did for Claiborne what Eternity did for Calvin Klein in regards to masculine perfumes, in that it set a standard to be followed going forward.

CK loosely interpreted this new precedent as "everything going forward must be relatively simple, synthetic, with a clean opening", which still left a lot of wiggle room.

Claiborne took the success of Curve for Men quite a bit more to heart, and literally decided everything after had to "smell like Curve" until they figured out that they could just make flankers instead.

Thus:

Lucky You for Men = Green Curve (my fave of the bunch, better than actual Curve)
    Spark for Men = Cinnamon Gourmand Curve
    Mambo for Men = Spicy Curve (the worst)
    Bora Bora for Men = Tropical Curve

After that, actual Curve flankers started appearing!!
    I may have to try these others now. Thanks!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I may have to try these others now. Thanks!
    Warning: Lucky You for Men is nice once it settles, but it literally has a CVS rubbing alcohol note in the beginning that may have you screaming like Jamie Lee Curtis, but you're just gonna have to trust me on this.

I don't actually -like- Mambo or Bora Bora, but you may. The latter has an interesting kiwi note.
    Spark is discontinued so a bit more spendy than a typical Claiborne (still under $50 so far), but it's also a very STRONG blast of cinnamon caramel right up front, so be careful. Harry Freemont made it so it's arguably the most "prestidigitariousy" of the lot, whatever that means. C:<
    oh look, I have a signature

Curve has major positive powers. Two sleazy "open-the-box-spray-and-put-back-without-buying" types were in Marshalls, combing through the frags. As I approached, they slithered off, hoping to avoid any witnesses. I immediately felt extreme and shameful antipathy toward the two perpetrators, their country of origin, their religion, their ethnic group, age group, bad teams featured on their horribly mismatched juvenile designer clothing, and all people of similar hairstyles.

But then I smelled something. Good God, it was GREAT. These people had amazing good taste. I combed through the boxes to find what they had opened. CURVE. Knowing that their crime had enabled me to see the beauty of Curve, I forgave them immediately, and all people like them, including bad ball teams and terrible designers.

THIS is the power of the chick magnet, CURVE. Forgiveness, even for BOX-OPENERS.
    Man this is a great story haha! Im still laughing! Curve is THAT powerful and in my opinion there is no flanker that garners more compliments than the original OG Curve.
    My current top 10:

I. Molecule 02⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀VI. Ivory Route
    II. Dama Bianca⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ VII. Noir Extreme
    III. Battito d'Ali / AeZ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ VIII. Baraonda
    IV. ud Bouquet⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ IX. Angelique Noire
    V. Love by Kilian⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ X. Amber Aoud

Basenotes Junkie

Back in my high school days I bathed in Curve and the girls loved it. When i actually learned how to wear it, 4 sprays instead of 40, it was a very nice cologne. Now at 33, I still keep a 15ml bottle at all times because its even better now. Every Xmas I re up my 15 mls cause it takes me about a year to use them up. I like the Curve Crush even more than the origional now in warmer weather. The only ones I do not like are Sport and Wave. To answer your question, I now wear Leau Bleue D'issey, 212 Men, Encre Noir Sport, Versace Man Eau Fraiche, and Sung Homme as my more grown up mature staples. But I will happily still wear Curve when the situation calls for it even if a few times a year.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Looks like somebody is bumping up all of the old Curve threads today!

...then I smelled something. Good God, it was GREAT. These people had amazing good taste. I combed through the boxes to find what they had opened. CURVE. Knowing that their crime had enabled me to see the beauty of Curve
    I still love the stuff, even as my wardrobe has filled with scents by MFK, HdP, Hermes, Creed, Tom Ford, Amouage, Le Labo, and of course my all time favorite, Castile. I list Curve among my favorites without hesitation. I should wear it more often.

Curve got me one of the funniest unsolicited compliments.

One of my other hobbies is photography. I do street photography, but instead of taking pictures of people or scenes, I find details. I love stripes and textures. Anyway, I was out shooting with a friend and, at one point, I noticed she was standing awkwardly close to me. I thought I was blocking her shot or something, so I took the photo I was working on and got out of her way... but she didn't reach for her camera.

I said "Aren't you going to take the shot? I thought I was in your way." She turned bright red, and of course I was clueless. "Am I missing something here?"

She turned even more red & said "Uhm... you, uh... you smell REALLY good."

I remember thinking "Please don't ask me what I'm wearing please don't ask me what I'm wearing please don't ask me what I'm wearing."

Curve cracks me up because Claiborne absolutely destroyed their brand with filler flankers after forgettable flankers after further flanking their flanked flanking flankers. People associate the name Curve with Cheap, and that's Claiborne's fault. Teach people your stuff is cheap and they'll believe you. People associate the name with Cheap, but they don't seem to associate the name with the smell, and they usually love the smell. Yeah, it's synthetic, but if we're being honest, most fragrances are. But there's something about Curve that makes it very mass appeal, and yet, it doesn't fit into most popular trends. It's not aquatic. It's not that cliche fake wood/incense smell that's in most men's scents these days. It isn't crazy sweet like Eros & 1 Million. It's fresh, but not clean like CK One & not metallic like Chrome or metallic/floral like Platinum Egoiste. It's a bit of an oddball.

Back in its day, Curve was thought of as a very young scent, but styles have changed so much that Curve doesn't smell young at all these days. Not compared to the cloying sugar bombs guys wear now. What most people think of when they hear the name and what the scent actually is are two very different things.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Curve had been released by a better house, it would still sell well today at full price in stores like Sephora & Macy's... but Claiborne is run by idiots who only want quick cash & have no long term strategies. "We've got a hit? MAKE 50 FLANKERS, NOW!" They flooded the market & pushed everything into the bargain bin so fast.

Curve is one of my most complimented scents, but I can't even remember how many times I've shown a woman the bottle & she said something like "Really? You own that?" or "Really? Curve?" But if I let a woman smell through my wardrobe blind, meaning I spray stuff without telling her what it is, Curve will almost always be chosen among the favorites.

If you want something that will amaze you... something rich and complex, or something that will wow people, of course I'd recommend something else. Reflection Man, 1725, Noir De Noir, Royal Oud... I could name so many and you probably can too. But if you want something cheap & versatile that gets compliments, I think it's hard to do better than Curve.

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe I just wrote that much about Curve. Yeah, well, I'm sipping a glass of wine & waiting for Colbert to start
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Orange Sanguine
    Petit Matin
    1725 Casanova
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Noir De Noir

Still have a small bottle, don't wear it as much, it's just not as good, smells cheaper.. more watered down than ever. Curve is a surprisingly unique fragrance. I think Lucky You is somewhat similar, but more zesty. I think Curve Soul may be dubbed as a more mature Curve Men, so that could be your best bet, but personally I found it to smell like burning hair. Curve Crush is a more playful flirtatious version of Curve, sort of an attention grabber, not sure if you want this if you're married. I remember in the past people saying it smells like a prostitute lol.

Being a few years older than you, and having used Curve in my high school days as well.. I have ventured so far away from it. there are so many more great frags around today than back when we were in school. People who are in high school who get into frags today are so much more fortunate than guys like me who were in high school in the late 90s/early 2000s. I wore Curve, Polo Sport, Tommy, Cool Water mostly, from what I could remember. My mother refused to buy me Le Male simply based on the bottle lol.
    "God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator." -Stephan Hawking