Code of Conduct

Default New ( at least to me ) Niche Lines: Aesop; Untitled; Nobile 1942; Profumi del Forte; Andrea Maack

I decided to check out Luckyscent and I can't help but notice the proliferation of niche lines continues apace; some of which I've heard almost no talk about. The new SoOud has gotten a talk, as has PG's new line, but has anyone sampled or otherwise experienced the lines listed in this thread's title?

I must admit I've got my eye on Untitled No. 8...

Default Re: New ( at least to me ) Niche Lines: Aesop; Untitled; Nobile 1942; Profumi del Forte; Andrea Maac

So far I've tried

Profumi Del Forte
    Tirrenico (an interesting aquatic...sounds impossible? Together with Sel Marin one of the few interpretation of the theme that worths at least a try. No ozonic bulls**ts. Basil, fennel, oakmoss. Incredible lasting power. EDP)

Versilia Platinum (IMO this is the stand-out of the whole line. A very rich, opulent and complex incense fragrance enriched with geranium, fruity notes and oakmoss. Absolutely fantastic.

Versilia Vintage (together with Ambre Precieux and Ambre Russe possibly among the best amber based fragrances around)

By Night Black (a fresh opening with lavender and bergamot laying on a musky/incense base with slight floral patterns. Well crafted, nice but not outstanding IMO)

the rest of the line is unremarkable IMO but I've to give a second chance to a couple of them, expecially one called Dolce Amaro (or something like that) by Bertrand Duchafour.

I've also tried the two from Aesop. Marrakech is a nice spicy sandalwood but didn't impress me so much. Mystra is a resinous bomb...mainly frankincense and labdanum. I quite enjoy it. They both come in oil diluition.
    Last edited by alfarom; 24th June 2011 at 08:42 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Default Re: New ( at least to me ) Niche Lines: Aesop; Untitled; Nobile 1942; Profumi del Forte; Andrea Maac

There's been some talk about Profumi del Forte in a couple of threads, such as the recent one on what to buy in Italy. They are extremely expensive, I must say, though not as much as the Xerjoffs.

The Aesop are all-naturals with some sort of resiny-ancient smells (labdanum, incenses, etc). I also especially like Mystra. As oils, they must be tried on skin. I've smelled them at Barney's.

cacio

Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Thanks for the response!
    If, by any chance, you decide to sample stuff from Andrea Maac I'd be curious to know your impressions. I'm kind of hypnothized by those bottles but I've heard they smell like crap! Also, he is supposed to run one of the very few perfume brands from Iceland...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Institution

I've tried Aesop - no love from me . Maybe I need to sniff again.

SoOud - so far I've tried Burqa - very deep and rich stuff. Long lasting ,actually quite worth it I think if you like your dark inky scents. I have vowed to try more from this line and will get around to it eventually.

Profumi del Forte - I tried Forte del Forte at the insistence of Steve at the Scent Bar .It's very good - citrussy if I remember correctly .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hillaire

Suga, I tried a lot of Nobiles in the Roja Dove store, and also bought one. The one I own, I recommend most heartily; it's called Anonimo Veneziano, and knowing you are a fan of 'dark' rose chypres, I think you will appreciate the chaaracter of it very much. The whole line is worth smelling.

I also Adore both Aesop offerings. If you like that Opoponax, spice-market association, you will probably like them lots, too. They are very, VERY resin-heavy, I should add.

I don't know about US / Europe but Aesop have a very solid line of cosmetic products with a natural leaning ethos and distribution at Lane Crawford (our Bergdorf or Harrods) over here and a couple of very cool stand-alone boutiques. I have used several of their hair and facial products for several years and would happily recommend them. Marrakech & Mystra have been around a while (I think they made it into The Guide) and strike me as being just an extension of their already quite solid range. There is also a Ginger 'In Flight' Travel thing - small glass roll-on tube dispenser, that I like, and a terrific tuberose lip-balm.

It will be interesting to see if Aesop take the next step into some form of EdT extension or offer new scents, in the same way Aveda went from their small (and now discontinued) Chakras scents into their current line of light spray mists (which are also natural and excellent).

Nice that luckyscent carry the Aesop ones - I guess I'm just mentioning all this because I do respect the company and altho they may not have been visible in perfume circles you can be sure Aesop is not yet another new 'arriviste' cashing in on the niche scene - far from it in fact

Also tried Aesop fragrances but did not care for them.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Also tried Aesop fragrances but did not care for them.
    Same here. I was expecting something quite potent with the notes mentioned in the ingredients, but was disappointed with the actual smells.