Code of Conduct

Default COMING VERY SOON - BBC documentary on perfume

Hi everyone,

Some of you may be aware that for the last few months, a BAFTA-winning director has been working on a three-hour perfume documentary for BBC TV. Well, he contacted me the other day, and I'm very excited to be able to inform you that episode 1 will be broadcast at the end of June on BBC FOUR.

I'm hoping to post more info about the doc as soon as I receive some from the director, but for now, here's a link to my original blog article about it.

Since publishing the above, I've found out that, unfortunately, the interview with me hasn't made it into the final cut... but never mind. The main thing is that we're soon going to be treated to a serious, high-quality production about a subject with which we're all deeply fascinated.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Default Re: COMING VERY SOON - BBC documentary on perfume

Thanks for the update. Do you know if BBC 4 stream their programs on their site?

Blog Entries

How exciting, thanks for the heads up Persolaise! Do let us know the date of the broadcast when you have it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks so much , please keep us posted when its going to be broadcast , cant wait to see it

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

Furrypine, I don't know if BBC FOUR provides live streaming. I'm pretty sure there's a way of accessing the BBC iPlayer from EU countries, but I don't think it's free.

Maybe you'll need to contact your national TV station to ask them to buy the doc from the BBC?
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Oh this sounds very exciting. Please do let us know the date for broadcast.

I don't think IPlayer does live streaming, something to do with the tv licence. But you can watch from the next day online(I have VirginMedia and we actually get IPlayer on the TV).
    DONNA

Yes, definitely exciting and interesting! Thanks for the heads-up.

So glad that it seems to be concentrating more on the industry, the perfumers, etc rather than the usual women/men using perfume to attract men/women stance. Besides, we so rarely get to see the creators in the spotlight (not counting the written interviews) that I honestly can't wait.

Thanks for the heads up, certainly something to look out for

Is there any way for 'yanks' to watch this program?

Thank you for the update, Persolaise. I am sorry about your not making the cut.

This does seem interesting. I hope it's not just a vehicle for some new scents, but a true history of fragrance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by les*lucioles View Post
    So glad that it seems to be concentrating more on the industry, the perfumers, etc rather than the usual women/men using perfume to attract men/women stance. Besides, we so rarely get to see the creators in the spotlight (not counting the written interviews) that I honestly can't wait.
    You're absolutely right: its focus on the industry is exactly what makes it so exciting.
    ---

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Is there any way for 'yanks' to watch this program?
    Monsieur Sparkle, I'm sorry, I really don't know. Perhaps there's some info on the BBC iPlayer's web page?

Do any US-based members out there know if there's a US equivalent of the iPlayer?
    ---

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Thank you for the update, Persolaise. I am sorry about your not making the cut.

This does seem interesting. I hope it's not just a vehicle for some new scents, but a true history of fragrance.
    Primrose, unless things have changed, then this most definitely isn't a vehicle for a new scent, although I suspect there will be some footage of launches.

As for me not making the cut, yes, it was a little disappointing, but that's the way these things go. The director had to cut hours and hours of truly fascinating film; I'd much rather he cut ME out to make room for something interesting. And besides, someone I know very well DID make the final cut...
    ---

Many thanks.

Interesting. Please keep us updated! Just starting exploring scents, and this sounds like a great watch.

It starts next week on the 28th, 9 pm on BBC4.
    DONNA

Donna255, thanks very much.

Here's a link to the BBC's own blurb about the programme.
    ---

Many thanks.

Very exciting. If anyone finds a link where this can be viewed after the broadcast, please post!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    It starts next week on the 28th, 9 pm on BBC4.
    Woohoo! Thanks donna
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

And here's a link to the BBC Four listing for the broadcast.

Episode 1 will focus mainly on the creation of Shalimar Parfum Initial and Tommy Hilfiger Loud.

According to Ian Denyer's original plans, Episode 2 will focus on perfumers and Episode 3 on the future of the industry, although all this may have changed in the editing process.
    ---

Many thanks.

Blog Entries

Wow - very exciting! And it's going to focus on Shalimar Parfum Initial - which I think is wonderful (I love the stuff, and it's a rather important moment in perfumery, IMO). I wish they would show this on BBC America, but I'll gladly settle for even the most choppy and pixellated online version if I can get it.

Awesome!

I've just posted some more info on my blog: please click here.
    ---

Many thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Persolaise View Post
    I've just posted some more info on my blog: please click here.
    Excellent! Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to this. Hope I can find a way of watching.

(If anyone would torrent this, it would be great!)
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

The BBC FOUR website has just been updated with info for next Tuesday's episode; click here.

Can't wait to see tonight's!
    ---

Many thanks.

I've already set aside this evening to watch this programme, and nothing on earth - short of fire, earthquake or flood - will stop me! And anyway, I've set the video too!
    DH is in for an evening of unlooked-for information (but will probably be reading a Scandinavian thriller anyway).

Any way to watch this on the internet?

Outside the UK you need to subscribe to BBC IPlayer it seems.
    DONNA

For those that are usenet savvy, Part 1 is now posted in alt.binaries.documentaries

Edit: I also see that it's on Demonoid (and I assume other torrent sites). Downloading now, and really looking foward to checking this out.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

This was so fantastic!!!!!! Hilger and the Loud was so blah blah blah the Guerlain stuff was divine.
    DONNA

I thought it was very interesting that during the Hilfiger process that no-one said, well it smells great just now but let's wait and see how it dries down! Not even Tommy himself *eyeroll*

Loved the whole Guerlain back story with the journals that survived the WW2 bombings. How amazing! Looking forward to comparing the "new" shalimar to the traditional one. I've heard a few moans that the juice is pink - but this is what Coco did quite successfuly - translating Coco to Coco Mademoiselle for a different palette. Not everyone likes heavy orientals.

I do think though - if perfume manufacturers spent more on quality ingredients (iris oil was HOW much) and less on stupid "rock and roll bints" to front their fragrance then it may last the distance. Otherwise it seems ultra-faddy to me and I wouldn't personally buy anything Daisy Lowe was involved in.

Hi everyone,

I've just started a new thread where we can all discuss the series as it's broadcast over the next few weeks. Please click here to be taken to it.
    ---

Many thanks.