Code of Conduct

Default Lapsang Souchong???

Hello! How would I get a lapsang souchong note in my fragrances? Is there an essential oil?? Thank you!

patti

Default Re: Lapsang Souchong???

if there is prunes, smoke and sawdust from conifers wood then:
    guiacwood essential oil + jasmine sambac a bit (guiacwood with jasmin sambac get "prunes" note) + araucaria for sawdust + black tea absolute

Wow!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!

I've actually been planning to make a lapsang souchong absolute (acetone, then ethanol extraction), but haven't gotten to the oriental grocery recently to pick up the tea. I'll let you know how it goes.

Googling around, I found an Etsy post selling a coconut-oil extract of lapsang souchong. Not sure it's what I'm getting at, since I like the idea of having/using a full-strength absolute (and I'm already making other tea absolutes), but that's an idea if you don't want to take the trouble to make your own absolute:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/58040664...il-infused-for

Post Thanks / Like

I have in front of me a bottle of incredibly smoky cade berry oil. That should also help

http://hermitageoils.com/essential-o...-essential-oil

Post Thanks / Like

I love this kind of tea. Cedryl acetate reminds me of it alot.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh what an interesting idea! I love that smoky scent and had not thought to re-create it in a fragrance - now I feel slightly silly for having failed to make the connection.

As it happens I'm just putting together an order for Hermitage products though, so I'll add in some Cade (aka Juniper Tar - and I gather made from the twigs rather than berries, though I have no personal experience to go on, Adam at Hermitage usually has these things right).
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Well, my green and black tea absolutes seem to be coming along splendidly, so when I actually find a source of nice LS, I've got a jar with its name on it already . . . need to eBay it. Any of your who've mentioned liking the tea have favourite online suppliers? No point in spending time and solvent on making crappy absolute from crappy tea.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they do international deliveries, but at any rate I don't think there is anything to beat Fortnum & Mason:

http://www.fortnumandmason.com/produ...-tea,4485.aspx
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Oh, faugh . . . it looks great, but twenty quid for shipping to the States. *pouts*

Though they have enough wonderful teas, I may just have to break down and place a big order to make it worthwhile! :-D

Cade is good. Usually you can dilute it 50% before use and it'll still be more than strong enough. Fossil Amber EO is good, too, though more of a rubbery smoky than wood smoky.

I'd like to try making my own tea essences for natural perfumery. I'm thinking of steeping Keemun and Lapsang in perfumer alcohol to see what happens. I'd like to add it to a leathery-vanilla fragrance I'm making.

Upton Tea is a good soure for leaves

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Lapsang Souchong???

I've been planning a mix using Cade Oil myself - it's a fantastic scent - unfortunately when I checked it out it turns out to be on the IFRA Prohibition list - due to it being carcinogenic and genotoxic - which has the following note

"The rectified (purified) cade oils can be used insofar the below requirement is respected:
    Limit content of polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) resulting from the use of rectified oils according to Good Manufacturing Practice. If used alone or in combination with rectified cade oil, benzopyrene and 1,2-benzanthracene are to be used as markers for PAHs. The total concentration of both of these should not exceed 1ppb in the finished product"
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of appropriately rectified Cade Oil?
    Last edited by Chris Bartlett; 12th August 2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added reason for prohibition
    Chris Bartlett

White Lotus's cade (which I should have in a UPS package on my doorstep as we speak!) states it is rectified. I'm sure you could ask Christopher or Suzanne any particulars such as GC analysis that may've been done for compliance reasons . . .

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool - thanks - it really would have been rather cleverer of me to have checked before I ordered mine wouldn't it? *sigh*
    Chris Bartlett

Heh . . . that's like me and my cleverness in ordering ambrette CO2 instead of ambrette EO, with no idea how I was going to work with it . . .

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! At least Cade is cheap - CO2 Ambrette must have been expensive, but I bet it's good once you get it into dilution
    Chris Bartlett

Ya, it was thirteen bucks for a mL and a half. If you have any ideas, I posted a help thread . . .

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I've no experience of it I'm afraid so I can only offer the generic advice that it often works best to dissolve these things in something like DPG first, and then add alcohol. But I've no idea whether that's true in the case of ambrette - does the Goodscentscompany site not offer any help?
    Chris Bartlett

See, that's the thing... Goodscentscompany lists it as fully alcohol-miscible, but the owner of White Lotus says that even though it's an SCO2, it's not alcohol-miscible. (More shortly on that thread, so as to not hijack this one.)

In more thread-relevant news, my Cade came! I can COMPLETELY see using this in a lapsang souchong accord with black tea and lapsang souchong absolutes... It's exactly the right coniferous-smokiness! (Also, it's potent enough I can't see IFRA maximums cramping anything but Campfire Macho Man Cologne (which may also work all the time, sixty per cent of the time...

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly has a hugely powerful smoky scent, which is very appealing. I've since checked with my supplier to find that mine is crude, so I won't be able to use it in a fragrance for sale. Not quite sure what I will be able to use it for tbh . . . ho hum.

I'm still looking for a UK supplier of the rectified oil as importing from White Lotus will be a bit of a palaver and no doubt end up with me getting tempted into all sorts of other things to make up a worthwhile order . . .
    Chris Bartlett

i did an experiment adding 1/2 a tbsp of tea leaves in 1/2 ounce of perfumer's alcohol for about 24 hours. It didn't steep as well as I would like so I tried something different the next day and poured boiling water through the leaves, in a strainer, to soften them. I shook the excess water off and added the softened leaves to the bottle and steeped again for 24 hours. I have a dark 1/2 ounce of perfumer's alcohol that smells like strong tea now. I have not tried to use it yet but will give it a try in some way. I may try this again using DPG instead of P-Alc. I think DPG is more of a solvent and doesn't add that sharp alc smell.

BTW, I read somewhere a while back that if the Cade is extracted through steam distillation it is considered rectified and it is almost always steam distilled.
    Last edited by Vincents1278; 14th August 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I'm still looking for a UK supplier of the rectified oil as importing from White Lotus will be a bit of a palaver and no doubt end up with me getting tempted into all sorts of other things to make up a worthwhile order . . .
    *enables* My order came in this weekend! Their choya nakh (seashells) and choya ral (frankincense), two other lovely smokey smells, are on sale. And the mushroom and seaweed absolutes are yummy! And if I can get my ambrette functioning properly, it's also great... Wonderful heady, clean musk. Clean to the degree that I'll probably have to use it with angelica and yarrow just to "animal" it enough for my taste!