Code of Conduct

Default Fidji - truest rose I've smelt in a while

I tried out my current Fidji EDT this morning, and the memory came flooding back. When I was a teen, I used to walk through big department stores, spraying the unaffordable perfumes on me, and revelling in the guilty pleasure of a 'free' perfume for the day. Fidji was often one of these.

I remembered Fidji as being a rose perfume. It includes lots of other ingredients, but I get the truest rose perfume from it. I am hard to please with rose perfumes, because I have some 120 named varieties in my garden, and often don't really feel the perfumer has succeeded in capturing the richness of some of the natural perfumes.

I know I'll probably get howls of horror, because I think Fidji has been reformulated since its inception, but I like it as it is now. It has kept much of its character, as I remember it some forty years later.

Notes are:
    Citrus, Lemon, Galbanum, Clove Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, Hyacinth, Ylang Ylang, Carnation, Spices, Vetiver,Sandalwood, Orris, Oakmoss,Patchouli, Musk, Ambergris, Balsam

Cheers
    LiliB

Default Re: Fidji - truest rose I've smelt in a while

You just made me go get and EDT sample and dab my arm. I have not smelled the recent iterations; this comes from the back of my mom's bathroom shelf, I don't know when she bought it, but suspect it's old, may be 10 or 20 years.

It certainly does smell from other decades. Yes, there is a beautiful rose. But it's only a small part - there's some nice green top, and then lots of other rich flowers, a lot of clove, ylang ylang, and more. It does indeed have a richness that recent screechy florals do not have.

Now, if the bottle doesn't get used, I may as well grab it ...

cacio

Default Re: Fidji - truest rose I've smelt in a while

Hi Cacio

Yes, I get the spices and the rich flowers too. The thing that I noticed was, that the rose stood a little above the other florals, which I like so much. I find the jasmine lovely too. Since Jasmine and Rose are so often the middle notes base in perfumes, I think my nose tends to habituate to them a little. Not so with Fidji, I find.

Lili