Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 2, 2011 *** GREEN

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 2, 2011 *** GREEN

Thanks for the heads up, Q. Hmmm...thinking.

Wow, Quarry! Thanks for the reminder. I am considering Niki de Saint Phalle, Crown Perfumery Crown Bouquet, Chanel No. 19 EDP and LPRN 2.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I had planned #19 but I didn't it, but I have two others lined up.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like

FF, Emeraude or Sous le Vent?

I'll probably go with one of my Bond No.9 fragrances.....Central Park or Gramercy Park.....I might blend them and wear both!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

yikes! Green stuff, huh? Not my favorite thang ... hmmm will have to think really hard for this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Shades, for stickying it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Fresh leaves and grasses? Maybe Elizabeth W's Chamomile & Neroli this time around...at least for part of the day.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Pecksniff's Chypre Green if I have to be outside in the insane heat here in Dallas, Otherwise Emeraude in the day, and Sous le Vent in the evening! We're going out
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Has to be my new bottle of Mugler Cologne. So glad I finally bought it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    yikes! Green stuff, huh? Not my favorite thang ...
    Same here! My skin tends to amplify the bitterness of green scents, so l tend to steer clear of them. The only one l have is a sample of Grin by Ayala Moriel, (which smelled much better on my BF, for those who remember my "stealth perfume" thread! ) or perhaps the green LOTV of Diorissimo might count? Either way, l'm not sure... l'm out with the BF all day this Saturday, so l may have to sit this one out. l'll be reading all your posts later, though!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

If you feel undecided, please click on the blue links of the very first post to see what other Basenoters were choosing in the previous years. I think the beauty of Green Scents is that one can almost do with anything: green-ish florals, many chypres, fougeres, orientals/semi-orientals with the green tops or green roots, the word "Green" in the name, aldehydic florals, green citrus scents, fragrances packaged in green boxes, everything would go.

Once on another forum I saw a lady saying "I am wearing a dupe of Fragrance Y. I consider myself going green today as the manufacturer claims they are not using animal cruelty and utilizing synthetic musk while making their replicas".

It is all about your feeling good while applying your own personal creativity to your fragrance choice.
    Last edited by Twolf; 28th June 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad I just mailed away my sample of Huitieme Art Aube Pashmina to another BNer who wanted to try it. I do still have a sample of Ineke's Balmy Days and Sundays that would probably work. I also have a sample of the modern Vent Vert but I don't really like it very much.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Weil de Weil is green de green!

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! I'm wearing Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia (Jean-Paul Guerlain) this morning, a very pleasant minty tea fragrance with a touch of citrus in the top...rose and jasmine...and cedar in the base. The whiff of cedar is soft and gives it a cooling, shady aspect. I'm very happy I bought this back in the spring. I knew I would love it in July, and I do!

I'll wear something different for evening, probably Kai, which I sampled recently and loved.

Post Thanks / Like

I think because I love green fragrances sooo much I'll make it a green weekend... maybe continue it all week, hmm we'll see. Scent of the morning is my beloved No. 19 but I'm already thinking of the heavenly Chamade for later this evening. Have fun!!
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing, Shoegal. There are so many great greens to choose from. Why not make it a green-fest marathon weekend? I'm in.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize I had so many green fragrances until I looked at my wardrobe here...greenfest it is...whoohoo!!
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Post Thanks / Like

My green scent of the day is La Perla Blue. Launched by the producer -- and I am quoting Lady_in_Black here "of a range of clothing appreciated by both genders but for different reasons" under the umbrella of Morris Parfums in 2004 in collaboration with Olivier Polge with the notes of:

T: Bergamot, lemon, violet leaf;
    H: Hyacinth, cyclamen;
    B: Patchouli, orris, cedar.

Pretty short set of notes, isn't it? (In my wardrobe the only one with the shorter set is Nahema: fruit, roses, vanilla, woods).

This minimalist modern green floral with chypre tendencies does not get much love on the boards and is often mistakenly classified as fruity and aquatic, with high contents of synthetics and slightly rotting fruit. How not true! Michael Edwards and his team put it together with Cristalle, Diorella and Eau du Sud, and let me ask you -- which of these three scents is NOT green?

It is sharp in the beginning with the citruses and hyacinth. The violet leaf (also in Extravagance de Amarige and AG La Violetta) is a key player -- that wet, slightly raspy and fuzzy semi-aquatic very dark green sweetness found also in YR Comme Une Evidence it is responsible for. Cyclamen is not a very green note per se, but it also smells wet and poisonous (heart of YSL Cinema), somehow nocturnal. The drydown is pure bliss with buttery orris, languid cedarwood and sparks of patchouli. All notes delivered, just as promised.

All in all, there are many fragrances La Perla Blue reminds me of, however, NONE of them remind me of it. Unique, in the league of its own. Affordable, available, long-lasting (6-7 hours) even in the EdT from.

Please PM me if you would like a small sample of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy!!!!...for SnS today I am wearing the beautiful beyond words: Chanel Bel Respiro.

The Sniff: Bel Respiro has notes of crushed leaves, rosemary, thyme, rose, lilac, myrrh, heather, hyacinth, green tea, leather, and grass.

The Speak: The greens really are "just crushed" natural smelling, and tart yet light. The rose, lilac, heather and hyacinth add just the right amount of floral delicacy to temper the greens, and also to add the affect of "charming and beguiling" to the fragrance. The leather (and perhaps the myrrh?) makes it all smell lush, as if adding scents of rich, black soil.... while paradoxically, lending a warmth and dryness to the fragrance. The paradox of Bel Respiro is that it truly is an effervescent herbal refreshment, while being grounded by an irresistable earthiness.
    Last edited by pomander; 2nd July 2011 at 05:00 PM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

This morning my SotD was Annick Goutal Eau de Charlotte, a nice soapy green. This afternoon I decided to give Kai another try. I bought this one last year and was so disappointed. It had sounded like one I would absolutely love and I could hardly stand it. For some reason today it's exceedingly better, still not something I love but at least one I can wear and enjoy. I'm going to try layering this one with a few other scents and see if I can't come up with something I like a little better. I plan on wearing Bel Respiro for the evening.

Today's green scent for me is Chanel No. 19 EDP. I hear this is a "heartless" scent as the Turin and Sanchez team call it.

I started out this morning with L'Heure Bleue but decided on a change to the Chanel No. 19.

I find this is an elegant scent and very crisp. Not a frilly floral at all.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Good morning! I'm wearing Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia (Jean-Paul Guerlain) this morning, a very pleasant minty tea fragrance with a touch of citrus in the top...rose and jasmine...and cedar in the base. The whiff of cedar is soft and gives it a cooling, shady aspect. I'm very happy I bought this back in the spring. I knew I would love it in July, and I do!

I'll wear something different for evening, probably Kai, which I sampled recently and loved.
    Lilybelle, Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia sounds beautiful! I'm putting this on my "to try" list !!! Enjoy!
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wearing Ma Griffe. Very green, even in the baking heat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    Lilybelle, Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia sounds beautiful! I'm putting this on my "to try" list !!! Enjoy!
    I think it is lovely. Some people say "toothpaste", but that's just their association with mint, I think. I will send you a decant so you can try for yourself. PM me your mailing address. If anybody else would like a decant as well, please let me know.

My Scent of the Evening is Kai edp...as planned (which rarely happens), from a Lucky Scent sample. I get a cool, green, watery cucumbery impression in this fragrance. This is a gardenia floating in water. A pretty and very wearable rendition of gardenia, imo. I love this one.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Green is a tough category for me. But like a true perfumista, I'm willing to try anything once ... and maybe twice! So for today's Green SnS, I'm wearing (for the first time) Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons Series 4.

Notes: vetiver, bergamot, neroli, white cedar

First of all, I love the name! It just rolls off the tongue and makes me smile to say it. Vettivaru is a soft and fresh green scent with touches of spiciness and a dry cedar base. It is a clean vetiver scent, very well-balanced, and easy to wear. And while it hasn't much changed my mind on green scents, I did rather enjoy wearing this. I'm definitely willing to try this a second time!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    If anybody else would like a decant as well, please let me know.
    That's my sorta people and the best thing I have heard the whole day. No, I do not need any though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    That's my sorta people and the best thing I have heard the whole day. No, I do not need any though.
    Well, you made a very kind offer above yourself, (((Twolf)))! Your sorta people indeed! Love you! ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I'll probably go with one of my Bond No.9 fragrances.....Central Park or Gramercy Park.....I might blend them and wear both!!!
    Gary
    I blended these 2 Great fragrances together.....Central Park and Gramercy Park by Bond No.9!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I layered two Guerlain's: Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca and Vetiver Pour Elle earlier. Yes it was very nice and green.

Now spritzing on Neroli and Chamomile EDP by elizabethW san francisco.
    I used to have some roman chamomile in the back yard between pavers and this smells just like when the leaves were rubbed. Lovely
    A Scent Rescuer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm late to the party as l was out all day yesterday, but decided to take the plunge today & re-try my sample of Grin by Ayala Moriel.

Ayala's website describes it as a chypre-floral-green scent, made to evoke "green grass, green flowers, a world waking up in the spring...like stepping into a flower shop, rolling in the grass & sniffing a meadow full of flowers all at once".

The notes are; agarwood, boronia, galbanum, green peppercorn, jasmine grandiflorum, oakmoss, Turkish rose otto, vetiver & violet leaf.

On my skin it goes on very woody, dark-green & astringent; as usual agarwood & galbanum in a fragrance seem to dominate on me. There is a slight hint of floral sweetness underneath, but when my BF tried it , these notes took on a glorious, honeyed sweetness on him that l sadly don't get on me.

l got this sample because the "meadow full of flowers" description appealed to me, but l actually think it smells more like a forest, complete with ferns, moss, fallen leaves & earth. lt is very well done & the quality ingredients shine through, it's just not my cup of tea, & like the other fragrances of Ayala's that l've tried, it doesn't last more than 2-3 hours.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hmmm, sounds just like my cup of tea....
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Post Thanks / Like

I wore some Nikki de Saint Phalle from a decant early this morning to continue in green. It had that oakmossy mustiness, which I don't really tolerate well anymore, but eventually it dried down into something very nice. But it isn't as spring-like a green as I prefer. It might be the wrong season for me and NdSP.

Adding...I refreshed with L'Artisan's Verte Violette, the last of a sample, poured right down my neck. Lovely! This is the prettiest violet scent ever...but it doesn't last. That first minute of violet loveliness is sublime. And then it's gone.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 3rd July 2011 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Still doin' the green today with Cristalle EdT...later we shall see, maybe some more green

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

another person extending the green thing...Amazone EDP by Hermes.

I didn't "get" this one and put it away...dug it out for re-test and it is firing on all cylinders with me today.
    A Scent Rescuer

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really have anything green-green, it kind of seems like it wouldn't WORK on me, would go sour or something...

But am wrapped in Keiko Meicheri Datura Blanche which has an opening I have to call Green. It is creamy green, not crisp or sweet at this stage, and almost smells poisonous, that sounds bad but it's not at all, and goes well with the name; I'd expect a datura to be poisonous. It's sort of pungent, that's the word, and green. This will die down but then just a hint of it stays there through to the end, adding its bite to the more floral and sweeter time of the perfume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also staying green this weekend in Coriandre. Love this!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been rocking a green theme all week with French Lover / Bois d'Orage from Frederic Malle - dark, earthy, forest-floor notes.

Tonight, however, I was in Je Reviens - not the Couture version but the cheaper EdT, which smells of green jasmine bubble bath. The bath foam soapiness makes me feel like I've just stepped out of the bath and the jasmine is so clean, sharp and green. It's just a shame it's such a fleeting scent...
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fκte, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

Post Thanks / Like

Extending like many of us, in Chanel No.19. Was in Maison Berdoues Muguet Precieux earlier today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did wear some greens this weekend! Some were a quick test, one was a FB full wear.

As a quick test I tried Huitieme Art Perfumes Ciel d'Ariain which registered a green fig leaf/currant leaf and Aube Pashmina which was lovely, citrusy green and requires retesting.

My full wear of green was Un Jardin Apres la Mousson. I experience this one as a green, not in a chypre or floral green vein, but a realistic smell of wet leaves and grass (I actually don't think that the name suggested my interpretation because I did not pay attention to the names of the different gardens until recently). There is no pyramid in the BN database, and the database on Fragrantica lists this fragrance as woody spicy, which bewildered me -- where are the leaves and grass? But the little book that came with the perfume lists vetiver, so I had an aha moment -- alright now, mystery solved. Cool vetiver with some cilantro (coriander in notes??), a touch of ginger that comes on Mr. W.'s skin more than it does on mine and a wet air accord sported in the Nil garden as well as the le Toit garden -- voila! I enjoy it in the hot weather, actually cooling and refreshing.

Off to wear some more greens today, happy 4th to those who celebrate!

Post Thanks / Like

Still rockin' the greens with Chamade yesterday and Ivoire today.

Post Thanks / Like

I've fallen off the green wagon, though I wore Y late Saturday (or was it Sunday?) evening, and AA Mentafollia again yesterday.

Greens are wonderful year round, aren't they? There is a green for every mood, every season, every weather.

I know it's nearly a week later, but I did find my Chanel #19 after all, and I have been wearing it for three days. Yesterday we drove back from North Carolina to Dallas, and it was a support scent for me.
    #19 is green... definitely green with that extra exciting darkness into it. I love it. Just fresh green isn't interesting enough, I need something dark and deep in a fragrance, and #19 delivers.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com