Code of Conduct

Default New job - New fragrances

I know there are a million threads such as this one, but I am really struggling to find some good suggestions as my buys need to be blind (I am overseas now and need everything to have arrived by the time I return home).

I just got a new job at a consulting firm (Los Angeles - so hot sunny days in an urban environment), and need some good fragrances for the various scenarios I will be in. I am young (23), so am trying to find the balance between youthful and classy (or dare I say sexy in some cases).

I will be working not only with my bosses, but also clients. This includes, but is not limited to:

Dinners at upscale restaurants - Suit and Tie
    Some drinks at high end lounges - Business Casual
    Corporate office meetings - Business Casual and occasionally Jeans/Tshirt, or so I hear
    *Possible clubbing - our biggest client is a youth apparel company, and the VP is a 26 year old woman who loves to celebrate closing deals at clubs

To give you guys and gals an idea of my tastes, here are some favorites from my current collection:

Rochas Man (what I had been using with my old job)
    Lacoste Essential
    Lolita Lempicka AM
    Nautica Voyage
    Armani Code
    Joop Jump

Any help is greatly appreciated!

*Edit: Aside from my own personal preference, I work in a hyper-competitive environment and standing out as unique is critical (so coolwater, Aqua di gio, live jazz etc. are out). Doesn't have to be extremely rare, just a deviation from the utmost commonly used scent. Price is somewhat of a concern, I have $200-300 to work with, so houses such as Creed would be out as well.
    Last edited by buyza54; 28th June 2011 at 02:00 AM.

Default Re: New job - New fragrances

Perhaps Burberry London

Out of the scents I own, I think HM by Hanae Mori, Platinum Egoiste by Chanel, and L'Instant de Guerlain (there is an EDT and EDP version...if you can find it, go for the EDP--though you can't go wrong either way) would be some solid choices for you.

You're going to be working with professional clients, some of which will judge you poorly if you're smelling like you're ready to hit the nightclubs. Don't wear Rochas Man to work. You need to err on the side of safety. I'd go the Gendarme and/or Mugler Cologne route - clean, slightly soapy. Or learn the lesson the hard way. You can stand out by doing a good job and being an excellent communicator, gaining the confidence of clients and bringing in new business.

Go to the Scent Bar on Beverly and test out a bunch of fragrances, but once again - you need to tone it down, especially since you're just starting out in a new white collar gig.
    Last edited by adonis; 28th June 2011 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buyza54 View Post
    *Edit: Aside from my own personal preference, I work in a hyper-competitive environment and standing out as unique is critical (so coolwater, Aqua di gio, live jazz etc. are out). Doesn't have to be extremely rare, just a deviation from the utmost commonly used scent.

If Live Jazz doesn't smell unique enough for you, you're going to have a hard time finding a fresh scent in this price range that does. Trust me, nobody will smell like rhubarb and cilantro with sharp citrus at work.

In my opinion (but I am obviously biased ) Live Jazz is just about the perfect work scent. Safe enough to wear with confidence in all situations, but definitely unique enough that it won't be mistaken for anything else, unless someone else is wearing it, which they won't be. There's a hint of sexy in there, too.

Otherwise, I agree with Adonis above. We recently had a new guy in our office. He reeked of some aquatic mess, and people commented about it behind his back. Someone must have told him because he stopped wearing it. Don't be that guy. Whatever you wear, wear it conservatively, and don't try to make a statement with your selection, even if it's a quality scent.

If you really need something a little sweeter, something like Prada Amber or YSL L'Homme are good options.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 28th June 2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: clarity
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

+1 on no Rochas Man at work. Youthful, hip company though it may be, that's a bit too gourmand for a serious job. I'm "mature" and I want to be a bit "sexy" too...but not so much at work. Rough times for being flirtatious in corporate world.

Read up more threads in here and DO hit the Scent Bar. We're going to upgrade you. Your current scents are not "bad," but there's much better stuff out there.

I know you're young and horny, and likely working with other young and horny people, but dial in some restraint at work in a new and serious job. You can wear the fun stuff at night. At work, listen to the big head. That being said, I don't mean go all all stodgy and start wearing Old Spice.

See if you can find one really good work appropriate one at Scent Bar. Not everything there is as pricey as Creed. If unique is critical, this is the "go to" place and lucky you landing in LA. The people who work there will be very helpful with helping you find a scent and mindful of budget.

Let's see what other good business scents young BNers endorse in designer land too.

Some good hot LA scents I'd say:

Prada Amber
    Prada Infusion
    Mugler Cologne
    Gendarme
    L'Instant de Guerlain (this has a touch of gourmand, but not too much)
    Bleu de Chanel

To me, L'Instant is like a "cheat." it has a touch of sweetness and sexy without being loud about it. Women will notice it, but you won't reek like a clubber.

Just say no to Le Male.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 28th June 2011 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    You're going to be working with professional clients, some of which will judge you poorly if you're smelling like you're ready to hit the nightclubs.
    The reason I put the different scenarios is because I want different fragrances for each one. I don't intend to wear the same fragrance to an office meeting as a nightclub celebrating a closed deal

Sadly one of my soon-to-be coworkers wears Live Jazz, otherwise I would have gone with it.

I am definitely a novice, which is why I am here. The office is extremely...let's just say....judgmental. I have only been there twice and it seems everyone is obsessed with appearance and I can only assume scent. Maybe it is just a new environment to me, but I heard various people (including my boss) critiquing the wardrobe of others, specifically to various events (i.e. I can't believe s/he wore that to *insert*).

As I said, the biggest client is represented by a young female and I am one of the few young men at the firm, and am expected to entertain her and her friends/customers/clients as needed to ensure continued business. I have no interest in sleeping with any of the women through work, but as my boss said "young women don't want to go celebrate with their grandpa or their hideous cousin."

I appreciate the suggestions thus far, so please keep them coming! Of those recommended, how would you pair them with the various aforementioned scenarios (office meeting, classy dinner, etc).

Thanks!

In that case, Gendarme for the work environment, Aventus for the evening. The ladies really like that one. Get a 1oz from Neiman's for $140 and if it's good it'll last you well until next spring.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120672.html - Is that the Gendarme you are speaking of?

And is Aventus really that good? Should I purchase a sample vial first?

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120672.html - Is that the Gendarme you are speaking of?

For the after hours stuff, Aventus is the "shyt" especially with women. I have issues with it, and a lot of guys here have difficulty smelling it too, but it IS still there and pounding. I swear its like a dog whistle with some people. With anything, it is always wisest to sample first. You should like it too.

That is the Gendarme referenced, yes. It's not good on longevity though. It's a super clean and soapy scent. I really hope you'll go to Scent Bar and present them with a challenge. Don't get to hung up finding a scen for each and every one of the categories you listed. Keep it simple to start while you get to know scents. Start with a good day time/office scent, and a good night time scent. Don't trash what you already have and like.

C'mon BNers- toss this fine fellow some good young, professional guy day time and night time suggestions. Something unique to make him stand apart from the AdG boys he'll be working with.

Oh yeah...

Dior Homme. Perfect for those upscale, dressy dinners.

Or just make a trek to Neiman's in Bev Hills or Bloomingdales at Santa Monica Place and try it yourself. Some women go pretty crazy over it for sure. You have to get it from a reputable place like the above mentioned retail stores because of the batch variations - too long a story to get into. You just want to make sure you can exchange it if it isn't a powerful batch. The good batches will last 8+ hours on your skin.

You can get Gendarme at Barney's in BH (just down from Neiman's on Wilshire) or Nordstrom at Santa Monica Place or The Grove. The main Gendarme store is in West Hollywood, just behind the Troubador at SM and Doheny.
    Last edited by adonis; 28th June 2011 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbee View Post
    Oh yeah...

Dior Homme. Perfect for those upscale, dressy dinners.
    Perfect. Now we're talking. We're his secret weapon in a new job full of pretentious people likely wearing predictable scents.

OK, I'll bite.

Office setting: Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza. Well-groomed class in a bottle, and appropriate for sunny L.A.
    Drinks at the lounge: Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight In Paris. Refined & relaxed.
    Clubbing with the hot CEO: Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane. Can definitely hold it's own in the club, and if she gets close enough I bet she's gonna love it.

Pick up the AdP and the Pure Havane in store for $180. Order the Midnight in Paris online for another $50. You've come in within budget; you'll impress these (overly critical?) people you work with; and I can almost guarantee you won't smell like any single one of them.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Thanks for everything! Keep it coming! I've decided that now that I actually am going to be making some serious cash, I should splurge for a real nice rotation. I am a sucker for variety, and it seems sort of stupid to spend thousands on nice suits for work and not have a respectable arsenal of fragrances to compliment.

Ya, if I can tell what fragrance a person is wearing, it is probably a bad sign considering how much of a novice I am.

I do intend to go to Scent Bar once I am stateside. The Galapagos is not known for its wide selection unfortunately

Since I want to have a nice little treat to come home to though, I am building my blind buy list based on all of your recommendations.

After doing a little research, looking at ingredients, reviews (especially from those who mention scents I like), I am narrowing down to the following:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120672.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122961.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128675.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124509.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125310.html

Likely will buy 2-3 blind, but still deciding.

Egoiste sounds very interesting, but I feel like it's definitely one I better not blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    You've come in within budget; you'll impress these (overly critical?) people you work with; and I can almost guarantee you won't smell like any single one of them.
    Pretentious, egocentric, tools may be a better description. I've been corresponding via email with one of the coworkers I met at the interview, and in the past two hours he has informed me that:

-His BMW is more expensive than my Acura
    -He is more "cultured" because he has traveled to more countries
    -And my favorite, "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you, but Berkeley is still a public school, I'm actually surprised you got hired"

I'll leave it to the others to tell you what to wear when clubbing, since I'm far past that stage in my life. Just a thought about the other categories: Creed's Millesime Imperial is a shade under $100.00 if you get it in the one ounce size from an online retailer like fragrancex, and is only about 130.00 for the 2.5 ounce size. That won't break your bank, and I think M.I. would be a great addition for you: it's a great all round scent, and can be worn pretty much everywhere you mentioned. It's in line with what a lot of younger men are wearing, but a hundred times better and more complex.

I see several people have recommended Aventus. Personally, I think Aventus smells like a pineapple-infused burning tire. I trust stylinla's opinion that it smells wonderful to many people, but you should absolutely try it before you buy. Millesime Imperial is much safer as a blind buy; while it's going to be more popular than Aventus (and, hence, marginally less unique), I still think the odds are that you're not going to run into anyone else wearing it. I never have, but I'm in LA, not L.A.

Pure Havane +1. Might be too close to A*Men for you -- there's no question they're very distinct to my nose, but some disagree.
    Chanel Bleu +1. Bleu's a safer blind buy than Egoiste, but I'd try both of them if you can, as well as Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. I tend to think you'd wear Bleu to the same places as Millesime Imperial.

I'm surprised no one has made the obligatory Green Irish Tweed recommendation. Yes, it smells great; but it's probably not for you. Guaranteed that some of your coworkers will smell it as Cool Water, and if you run into someone else wearing a Creed, it's likely going to be GIT.

Just a final thought: remember there are no right or wrong colognes; everything depends on how they make you, individually, smell. But almost every one I've seen recommended in this thread would likely be an upgrade, both in smell and in status, from what you're used to wearing.

I know there are a million threads such as this one, but I am really struggling to find some good suggestions as my buys need to be blind (I am overseas now and need everything to have arrived by the time I return home).

I just got a new job at a consulting firm (Los Angeles - so hot sunny days in an urban environment), and need some good fragrances for the various scenarios I will be in. I am young (23), so am trying to find the balance between youthful and classy (or dare I say sexy in some cases).

I will be working not only with my bosses, but also clients. This includes, but is not limited to:

Dinners at upscale restaurants - Suit and Tie
    Some drinks at high end lounges - Business Casual
    Corporate office meetings - Business Casual and occasionally Jeans/Tshirt, or so I hear
    *Possible clubbing - our biggest client is a youth apparel company, and the VP is a 26 year old woman who loves to celebrate closing deals at clubs

To give you guys and gals an idea of my tastes, here are some favorites from my current collection:

Rochas Man (what I had been using with my old job)
    Lacoste Essential
    Lolita Lempicka AM
    Nautica Voyage
    Armani Code
    Joop Jump

Any help is greatly appreciated!

*Edit: Aside from my own personal preference, I work in a hyper-competitive environment and standing out as unique is critical (so coolwater, Aqua di gio, live jazz etc. are out). Doesn't have to be extremely rare, just a deviation from the utmost commonly used scent. Price is somewhat of a concern, I have $200-300 to work with, so houses such as Creed would be out as well.
    Ahhh... a question right up my alley!

Im a consultant myself (HRM partner) in a big organisation (3500+ employees). My challenge is, that I rarely know what the day will bring. When I know 100% that I will be spending all my day in my own office I can wear more daring scents from time to time (Dior Homme Intense for example).

The challenge I face is that I often have meetings outside my own office. Managers, groups of employees, external consultants I supervise, upper management and board of directors.. that sort of stuff. Problem about that I rarely know in what environment were meeting up. Will we be 10 people in a small, hot meeting room? Or will there be polenty of space and aircon?!?! Therefore, I ALWAYS assume it will lots of people in a small, hot room. Better to not get noticed than to knock people over, right?

Also, from your post, you really REALLY wanna go conservative. While there is some openedness about things these days, some fragrances will still be looked upon as if they were tatoos or piercings... stuff that simply doesnt fly in some environments and with some people.

The ones you mention in your post are a bit too "young" to wear for a job like yours. But some of them, like Lacoste Essential and Armani Code should do fine for now.

My rule of thumb for workmeetings: No Gourmands, Fruitys and Florals! Anything that projects hard beyond 1-2 feet it also out! (So NO, you CANT use A*men! )

Examples of what I wear when I have workmeetings:
    - Azzaro Chrome Legend
    - Boss Bottled
    - Armani Code
    - Armani AdG (boring but it DOES fit the bill)
    - YSL La Nuit de L'homme

more stuff you should/could look into:
    YSL - La Nuit de L'homme
    Guerlain Homme - (Homme and L'eau, even the intense version)
    Dolce & Gabbana - Pour Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport (while it does have a bit of creaminess, its still more a fresh and classy scent)

And last but certainly not least...
    Chanel - Egoïste Platinum (this one will give you an edge. PERFECT imo for the young professional)!

These are some examples of frags that can be worn both in a more formal office setting, at a work dinner and even for some "we-closed-the-sale-partying"! Needless to say, theres hundreds if not thousands of frags out there who will do the job just fine...
    Last edited by Mrhviid; 28th June 2011 at 06:33 AM.

Pretentious, egocentric, tools may be a better description. I've been corresponding via email with one of the coworkers I met at the interview, and in the past two hours he has informed me that:

-And my favorite, "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you, but Berkeley is still a public school, I'm actually surprised you got hired"
    Heh. Start a journal with these gems, you'll have enough for a movie script in no time.

Get ready to enjoy office interactions like this

Last edited by adonis; 28th June 2011 at 06:35 AM.

That's perfect and just what I would expect here in Los Angeles. Keep researching. We'll help you kick azz in the fragrance arena.

Guys- what's a good, solid business scent for the newb at Lucky Scent. Something distinct, unique, not "Amouage" expensive, age appropriate?

Let's start him off ahead of Bimmer boy.

Guys with low self esteem like the dude you describe here is easy to handle for any well-balanced person with true self-confidence, fragrance or no fragrance!

Btw. dont take the bait. Dont defend yourself, you background, your car or anything. If you do you will be bying into his frame, thus establishing you as one who reacts to him. If people brags around me I just smile and tell them something like "Dude, I like you already and I already think youre cool. You dont need to impress me with your stuff and background"! That establishes you as a benevolent person who are in control (off course, choose a wording thats appropiate for the situation, but thats the message you wanna convey)... . If you really wanna drive your point through you also give him a hard and manly, but still friendly ofc, pat on the back just as you end your message as this will establish your physical dominance over him.
    Last edited by Mrhviid; 28th June 2011 at 07:02 AM.

*Please insert cat*

I will definitely start a journal, of course it will be hard to find people outside of their realm who will believe such arrogance exists.

The guy I am corresponding with is the only associate in my group not to have a PhD, so I always sign my email as Dr. XXXXX which I know eats him up inside since he keeps starting emails with Mr. XXXX

I'm just waiting to see what it will be like once I spend an actual full day in the office with these guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrhviid View Post
    Guys with low self esteem like the dude you describe here is easy to handle for any well-balanced person with true self-confidence, fragrance or no fragrance!

Btw. dont take the bait. Dont defend yourself, you background, your car or anything. If you do you will be bying into his frame, thus establishing you as one who reacts to him. If people brags around me I just tell them something like "Dude, I like you already and I already think youre cool. You dont need to impress me with your stuff and background"! That establishes you as a benevolent person who are in control (off course, choose a wording thats appropiate for the situation, but thats the message you wanna convey)...
    Oh I don't take the bait and compare/contrast with myself. My response was something along the lines of:

"Wow, nice car! I heard XYZ has a 7 series and a new house. I'm sure you'll be there one day too though"

He completely deflected it

Oh I don't take the bait and compare/contrast with myself. My response was something along the lines of:

"Wow, nice car! I heard XYZ has a 7 series and a new house. I'm sure you'll be there one day too though"

He completely deflected it
    Also a great answer. You still establish yourself as indifferent to his valuesystem and make him look the one whos jumping material hoops! I like it . Though him deflecting it is not surprising. That type of people often have a tendency to "fade out" people from their radar who dont buy into their frames! Ah well...

Btw. I just bought a 16 year old Mitshubitsi Colt for 800$. Wonder where that would fit in his value-system?

Btw. to get a bit back on track. Did you have a snif around at work? Any idea what kinds of frags people use there? I imagine that there will be some Creeds, Bond no. 9 and Chanel Allure Homme Sport stuff going around?
    Last edited by Mrhviid; 28th June 2011 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Heh. Start a journal with these gems, you'll have enough for a movie script in no time.
    Start a blog! I would read it. I love office tools. OP, your coworkers sound particularly tool-ish!

Strellson no 1 fits all your criteria and nobody knows it. If you like Rochas man, then take it to the next level with Huitième art's Sucre d'Ebene.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Stroll into work on the first day dressed like this

Kouros on the left side, A*Men drenched on your right arm/neck. Show them who's boss.

I think lots of people have made some great suggestions so far.
    I'd definitely take advantage of Scent Bar when you get to LA,
    as StylinLA suggested, because a lot of the scents that will be
    recommended to you will be blind buys, and it's always better to test
    a fragrance out on your skin. But, having said that, I'll offer a few more
    suggestions.

Corporate office meetings:

Rive Gauche I think for the workplace, this one is hard to beat. It's pretty uncommon where I live, not sure how popular it is in places like LA. I think it's one of the safest, most versatile blind buys you can make. When I'm in doubt about what to wear, or making a quick, last-minute choice, this is the one I reach for most often. I wouldn't overspray with it, I think 2 or 3 sprays will be plenty for the workplace. It lasts all day and projects nicely, but not too much.
    Dior Homme Cologne--a lighter version of Dior Homme, the major drawback is longevity and sillage
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport--this may be a bit too popular, but it's a great all around scent, and is especially good for work and warmer climates, a definite compliment getter
    Gucci Pour Homme II--a very subtle, yet beautiful tea and cinnamon fragrance, I don't think very many people will be wearing this one where you work, the sillage and projection are very subtle though

Honorable mentions:
    Azzaro Pour Homme--very similar to Rive Gauche, but feels slightly more "dated" than the Rive Gauche, very good nonetheless, classic masculine that's inoffensive unless oversprayed, great longevity, one of the best drydowns ever
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree--classy, refined, just enough sillage, a very "decent" smell.
    Aramis New West for Him--unique, inoffensive, good longevity
    Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme--maybe not unique enough, but nice and inoffensive unless oversprayed, very good longevity
    Prada Infusion D'Homme--one of the ultimate "clean" scents, great longevity, hard to overspray, not as much sillage/projection as I would like, but good nonetheless

Drinks at lounges/dinner at upscale restaurants:

L'instant de Guerlain PH EDT--just a masterpiece of a fragrance, for me, it has the perfect amount of sillage/projection/longevity, class in a bottle--it doesn't get any better than this. I prefer the EDT, but you can't go wrong with the EDP either
    Chanel Egoiste--very unique, you probably won't smell a lot of people wearing this one any more, which is a good thing IMO, I would go easy on the trigger in the heat though, no more than 2 or 3 sprays max, a classic that will make you stand out
    Dior Homme--another masterpiece, this is probably one you need to sample first though, it definitely walks the line of "feminine/masculine" but it does it very well IMO.
    Just make sure you're comfortable wearing it first, you have to like the way this smells and feels on your skin to pull it off

Honorable mention:

Kenzo Power--very floral, but nice fragrance, very good in warm weather
    Chanel Allure Homme--doesn't get a lot of love here, but it's an excellent all-year choice for evening wear to me
    Aramis Havana--spicy and boozy fragrance, but still very classy

Clubbing:

Dior Homme Intense--another masterpiece in the Dior Homme lineup, has enough sillage to cut through the odors of the club, but is still classy, and will smell a ton better than anything that other people are likely to be wearing there
    Xeryus Rouge--a unique powerhouse that has great sillage and longevity, odds are very few people will be wearing this one, a definite sleeper frag for clubbing

I'm sorry to hear your coworker already wears Live Jazz. That's a little amazing; I have to say I'm a little impressed. As long as he isn't this guy:
    I've been corresponding via email with one of the coworkers I met at the interview, and in the past two hours he has informed me that:

SoCal...ouch.

Echoing Stylin here - I don't think you need a separate scent for each item below. Better to go with two really good ones that cover all your bases, and then explore on your own terms later. So, answer your questions directly, here you go, based on quality and general likability.
    Dinners at upscale restaurants - Suit and Tie --- Dior Homme - apply lightly or possibly get the Eau de Cologne version as the original can be powerful

Some drinks at high end lounges - Business Casual --- Dior Homme

Corporate office meetings --- Prada Infusion d'Homme - also quite powerful for a modern soap scent - careful

*Possible clubbing --- Either Dior or Prada.
    Easy! This way, you save about half the cash you've set aside for scents. Use it to do some more extensive sampling.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 28th June 2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typos, my God!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The list just keeps getting bigger, I love it! Please keep them coming!

I have a feeling i'll need to make multiple trips to test these frags, but it will be well worth it.

Thanks again!

As for GIT, the guy that interviewed me was wearing GIT. Definitely a great scent, but I have always felt it doesn't bode well for someone in his early 20s.

I'd go for Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver for every scenario - oozes class!

The list just keeps getting bigger, I love it! Please keep them coming!

I have a feeling i'll need to make multiple trips to test these frags, but it will be well worth it.

Thanks again!

As for GIT, the guy that interviewed me was wearing GIT. Definitely a great scent, but I have always felt it doesn't bode well for someone in his early 20s.
    You can do the Neiman's, Barneys, Scent Bar and Gendarmerie tour in a long afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    I'd go for Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver for every scenario - oozes class!
    Great idea! Add that one to the list.
    Last edited by adonis; 28th June 2011 at 04:37 PM.

For Rive Gauche, do you recommend the PH? Also, do you think it will come off well for someone my age? I have smelled RG before, but I remember thinking it smelled a bit more mature (someone who would be 35+). Maybe I am mistaken though, it has been quite awhile.

^ You can get away with wearing just about anything if you wear it with confidence. If people experience any cognitive dissonance when a "young" person wears an "mature" scent, the visual of the young person will win every time. In other words, when a young person wears a mature scent, it becomes a young scent.

Trust me, I am a relatively young person with relatively modern sensibilities, and I've never had an issue wearing scents that are 30, 50, even 100 years old. Just think of it is as going subtly "vintage"

Honestly, the whole idea of age appropriateness for fragrances strikes me as a bit absurd. I'm 21, and I regularly wear all kinds of 'old guy' frags, ranging from barbershop classics like Pinaud Clubman and various bay rums to 80s powerhouses. And nobody bats an eye (well, in fairness... No one says anything to my face...). Hell, the only genres that I don't really wear are 'young guy' aquatics and gourmands.

The point is that we draw way too many fine distinctions on here. Smelling good is smelling good more often than not, and the rest is just icing.

But even with all that aside, Rive Gauche is definitely classic in style, but it's interesting enough to avoid being stodgy. So give it a shot, if it interest you.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ^ You can get away with wearing just about anything if you wear it with confidence. If people experience any cognitive dissonance when a "young" person wears an "mature" scent, the visual of the young person will win every time. In other words, when a young person wears a mature scent, it becomes a young scent.

Trust me, I am a relatively young person with relatively modern sensibilities, and I've never had an issue wearing scents that are 30, 50, even 100 years old. Just think of it is as going subtly "vintage"
    Good response. Rive Gauche Pour Homme is sort of a modern take on a classic men's fougere. The sheer number of younger guys here that like it and wear it is a testament to how well designed this is. It's one of the few scents of this type that flys with young and mature guys. It is not easy to find in stores. I daresay it would be unique. Out of main stream circulation and not likely a scent many of your co-workers would be using. Bonus: it's inexpensive. (but don't read that as cheap as in a "cheap" scent. It's not a big seller for YSL in US, and seems only available online. The YSL Boutique in Bev Hills may have it in store. I got mine there two years ago.)
    Last edited by StylinLA; 28th June 2011 at 05:18 PM.

I actually have a bottle of Tom Ford GV waiting for me at home. My cousin bought it for me as a graduation gift I had told her I wanted TF Tobacco Vanille (I smelled it a month ago and thought it was amazing), but apparently she couldn't find it. I am quite excited to crack it open when I get back.

As for the age comment, I guess it has more to do with how I feel. I just associate certain scents with certain people/age groups so in turn feel awkward wearing them. It would make sense however that it would be irrelevant if I wear it with style and project my youthfulness.

BTW, I plan to compile a full list using all of your recommendations to help men in my position in the future, so all the additional details are extremely helpful. I would imagine there are tons of other men out there in my position that will likely ask these same questions, but no receive the same extensive amount of support and information from the BN community.

In all seriousness, I back the TF Grey Vetiver recommendation. It'll show them you're an alpha male who isn't stuffy - serious, but edgy - and would be great for your job role.

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    In all seriousness, I back the TF Grey Vetiver recommendation. It'll show them you're an alpha male who isn't stuffy - serious, but edgy - and would be great for your job role.
    GV definitely isn't lightweight baby!

Is your name related to the great Ronnie Coleman?

Just got back to mainland Ecuador and found a store that had L'Instant De Guerlain EDT...SERIOUS Winner. This stuff smells absolutely amazing. My only question is the EDT vs EDP version, how much of a difference is there?

I also tried out Kenzo Power, seemed too floral for me though. The longevity was poor as well (I can't smell it anymore on my wrist after only 90 minutes).

Just got back to mainland Ecuador and found a store that had L'Instant De Guerlain EDT...SERIOUS Winner. This stuff smells absolutely amazing. My only question is the EDT vs EDP version, how much of a difference is there?

I also tried out Kenzo Power, seemed too floral for me though. The longevity was poor as well (I can't smell it anymore on my wrist after only 90 minutes).
    The cocoa notes are more pronounced in the EdP version. Given your preference for Rochas Man, you might like that better. It's on the fringe of being too gourmand for work, but you might be able to get away with it. Like to hear others chime in.

The EdT is a bit more conservative, but it is sneaky sweet-ish.

A clever way to go could be the EdT by day, the EdP by night. They are fairly similar, but different enough to own both IMO. (I do, and sometimes layer them). Would give you a pretty consistent "smell" personality. Neither are all that common either. The EdP can be tough to find in US. It comes and goes from websites. I have never seen it in a store here. Grab it there if you like it.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 28th June 2011 at 10:19 PM.

Ya the EDT seemed conservative, but not stiff or boring. I could definitely see myself wearing this out for a nice dinner with the bosses or clients.

Rive Gauche, Havana, Caron the Third Man, Antaeus and Terre should get some attention.

M7 too!

I managed to smell a few other frags at a different store:

YSL Homme and Burberry London were fantastic.

Prada Infusion was decent, but I like Mugler far more.

Platinum Egoiste I am iffy on. Although it smells nice and definitely classy, I find it a tad dull. I am curious to see how it develops during dry down.

I would echo the kudos on L'Instant de Guerlain EDT and Caron Le Troisieme. They serve me well in my law office and entertaining clients.

The collective nose of office staff in the US prefers more pleasant frags. European favorites are a hit or miss sometimes. Become acquainted the holy trinity of scent:

Chanel (Platinum Egoiste, BdC, Allure Homme)
    Creed (Original Vetiver, MI, GIT)
    Guerlain (L'Instant, Eau de Guerlain, Heritage, Habit Rouge)

as an alternative

Prada Infusion D'Homme
    Jack Black JB Signature EDP
    Cartier Roadster or Declaration

imo, at 23, Tom Ford Gray Vetiver is trying too hard... smells like old man
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

The more I smell the Chanel PE on my arm, the more I like it and think it is the perfect scent for my office. The dry down just screams sophistication to me.

I managed to smell a few other frags at a different store:

YSL Homme and Burberry London were fantastic.

Prada Infusion was decent, but I like Mugler far more.

Platinum Egoiste I am iffy on. Although it smells nice and definitely classy, I find it a tad dull. I am curious to see how it develops during dry down.
    NB that Platinum Egoiste and Egoiste are two completely different fragrances without even a passing resemblance.

Do try plain ol' Egoiste, she's a beaut.

Here is my lineup for work:

Summer:

-Bleu De Chanel - Perfect mix of young and mature classy
    -Prada Infusion D'homme - perfect soap.
    -Chanel Allure Homme sport - casual fridays

Spring:

-Chanel Platinum Egoiste - Power scent. I don't F* around when I wear this, which is probably 50% of the time
    -Prada Infusion D'homme -perfect Soap
    -Chanel Allure Homme Sport - Casual warm spring

Winter:

- Guerlain pour homme extreme - pure class with a touch of sweetness
    - Burberry brit - winter soap

Fall:

- Hermes Terre D'Hermes - warm fall
    - Chanel Sycomore - cool fall
    - Burberry Brit - fall soap

Sample Puredistance M next time you visit the Scent Bar...

Quote Originally Posted by buyza54
    The more I smell the Chanel PE on my arm, the more I like it and think it is the perfect scent for my office. The dry down just screams sophistication to me.
    Having never smelled the original Egoiste (shame!), I must say that I find Platinum Egoiste underrated (double shame! hiss!). It's very easy to like, yet still stands apart from the AdG/ArmaniCode/Nautica crowd. I also second the HM, Dior Homme, and L'Instant recommendations; they have gourmand flourishes without being out-and-out foody, and are sophisticated enough for the office. Frankly, I'd stay away from any of the A*Men spawn, even Pure Havane - they're delicious, but too sweet, loud, and (sorry, guys) juvenile for the workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by buyza54
    As for the age comment, I guess it has more to do with how I feel. I just associate certain scents with certain people/age groups so in turn feel awkward wearing them. It would make sense however that it would be irrelevant if I wear it with style and project my youthfulness.
    Honestly, don't force it. If you're uncomfortable wearing a '60s classic because you feel like you're playing dressup in your dad's clothes, that awkwardness will translate to the way you carry yourself at work, and you'll run the risk of appearing to try too hard. You need to feel sharp and confident in whatever you wear, so stick to what turns your crank and save the exploration of vintage/"mature" stuff for when you've punched out. (You're 23, you've got lots of time to warm up to Eau Sauvage or Rive Gauche.)

Above all, whatever you wear, go easy on the trigger. Let common sense be your guide, and save the overapplication for Friday night.

I wore Chanel EP to my first day of work and it killed. I had three female workers comment (one of them being a partner at the firm). Even one of my obnoxious male coworkers asked what I was wearing, and then when I told him it was a little something I picked up abroad, he said "oh...it's decent..."

I wore Chanel EP to my first day of work and it killed. I had three female workers comment (one of them being a partner at the firm). Even one of my obnoxious male coworkers asked what I was wearing, and then when I told him it was a little something I picked up abroad, he said "oh...it's decent..."

Quote Originally Posted by justinp View Post

Do try plain ol' Egoiste, she's a beaut.
    Yes!