Code of Conduct

Default Philosykos by Diptyque

Could a man wear this? I know it's labeled as unisex but you know how that goes. Seems as though it's a popular celebrity scent. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Default Re: Philosykos by Diptyque

Yes, a man can wear it. But only if you like fig scents. That note doesn't work for me, however.

Strikes me as very unisex. It's fairly dry with a bit of the green/resinous angle that many of Diptyque's older frags have.

Yeah, it's easily unisex and just as easily worn by a man as it is a woman. I can't say I'm a fan of it either though, just makes you smell like a wet plant with its leaves all crushed up, makes me feel kinda ill actually.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 6th June 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I agree, unisex. But I prefer the L'Artisan fig fragrance by the same perfumer (Olivia Giacobetti), Premier Figuier. Has a sandalwood note where Philosykos has cedar. I find it very cooling in hot, muggy weather.

I didn't know this was a celebrity scent. Anyways, when I wear this stuff, I feel confident that it's more a man. Although labeled uni I think it leans more to the masculine side. If you like Burberry London, you'll probably like this.

I used to be like "F uni fragrances" -- Thinking that I don't wanna smell anything like a woman. That's really not the case with most though, they're just labeled uni because they're so versatile. CK One is the best example of such, perhaps the most versatile citrus fragrance every made.

Diptyque is pretty generous if you contact them and ask for samples, I suggest you try this and Tam Dao for sure. Both are excellent. Both smell very rich and natural, similar to Hermes fragrances but perhaps even better.

One of a my favs... great scent

Absolutely.

actually, nothin feminine about it...

Basenotes Plus

Fantastic stuff and completely unisex IMHO.

If you like prominent fig notes, I feel it's a safe bet. They make me a little queasy, so I tend to prefer the - to my nose - greener L'Artisan.

One of my very favorite fragrances of all fragrances. I think it is vastly superior to the fig scents L'Artisan offers.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks for the input, folks!! Wondering if I've ever smelled a fig-based fragrance before. Fig newtons are the closest thing to a fig I have been I have tried Tam Dao and another that I can't think of at the moment from this line.

Point Blank

I am also hesitant about fragrances that tend towards feminine. I don't think there is anything feminine about Philosykos at all. I have come to realize, in general, that the "unisex" labeling is quite arbitrary - I find some labelled "for men" very feminine and some labelled "unisex" quite masculine. I would not pay too much attention to it.

As for Philosykos, I dislike it personally - it has an linear, piercing, tartlike, green scent - I find it really headache-inducing. I can see why people would find it fresh - it is just too sharp for me - like rubbing your skin with unripe peel.
    Last edited by Point Blank; 6th June 2010 at 08:19 PM.

It's interesting the opinions posed in this thread. I'm certainly not averse to wearing things of any gender, but I actually do find that Philosykos leans slightly to the feminine side of unisex, while still being completely unisex. I can only chock this up to skin chemistry, but while I DO get the wonderful green fig leaves, it gets overbearingly sweet on my skin. Because of this, it smells (on me) more of a feminine coconut scented product rather than the coconut just being a fruity aspect of an otherwise perfectly unisex fig scent. In my testing, I found a fig that I prefer to Philosykos in Fico di Amalfi, where the citrus and black pepper perfectly counteracts the sweetness of the fig, and just works much better on my skin as a whole.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I don't find anything particularly feminine about Philosykos, or either of L'Artisan's offerings (regular and extreme). They strike me as dry, green, leafy, fresh and slightly resinous scents. That is exactly the sort of profile I really enjoy. But like some others, the particular note of fig is not quite my cup of tea. At times, fig bears a close resemblance to coconut. So, while I like my samples, I haven't yet (nor may ever) commit to a bottle.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 7th June 2010 at 02:03 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

This man tried a sample, liked it a lot, and bought a full bottle so I can wear it anytime I want. I like it - it has a green note that lasts and lasts. Perfect for summer wear, although I haven't tried it in the winter yet. Might work well in the cold, too!

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I don't find anything particularly feminine about Philosykos
    I have to agree - to me Philosykos smells more on the masculine side of things. So yes, a man can easily wear it and not worry.

Another fig frag I like is Marc Jacobs Splash Fig. It's a much simpler and linear fig fragrance, but really nice all the same. And, like mtgprox05, I also like AdP's Fico di Amalfi.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Fico di Amalfi is delightful! I love the bright citrus notes. I wish it lasted longer on my skin, but it is great while it lasts.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 7th June 2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: typo

Fico di Amalfi is probably the nicest fragrance if you're looking for "mostly figs". Very nice citrus and slightly creamy figs, good projection and decent longevity on me too.

Hermes' Un Jardin en Méditerranée is also a really nice light, fresh scent with figs in the background.

Marc Jacobs for men is another fig fragrance, but I find it awful IMO. Just boring-as-hell, overly-powdery figs.

I'll just echo what others have said.....I don't find Philosykos feminine at all. Too bad it doesn't seem to last on me, or it would surely be a purchase.

Fico di Amalfi on the other hand I personally find much softer and feminine. I've just discovered this one and LOVE it (though not on myself).

I own it and love it - also give Miller Harris Figue Amere a try.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Seems as though it's a popular celebrity scent.
    Philosykos? Celeb scent?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Philosykos? Celeb scent?
    Maybe they picked it up after we did.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Maybe we're all celebs?

i'm getting this unless something else can beat it. premier figuier? what bout premiere figuier extreme?