Code of Conduct

Default Collecting vs downsizing

So my serious frag collecting started about a year ago, I went from about 15 frags to over 100. Recently, I've delved into Puredistance M, MDCI, Tom of Finland, Divine, Montale, and others to be found on Luckyscent.

Which has begged the question... quality vs quantity? I find that the collection itself is the biggest hinderance to enjoying a decent rotation. For example, I enjoy Bvlgari Pour Homme Extreme and Azzarro Home but I never wear them... just not appropriate for work. So what now? I feel like a frag hoarder LOL

Is there a right size collection? For me I think it's somewhere around 20-30 frags. Anyone want to give some of my frags a good home? :P
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Default Re: Collecting vs downsizing

In the last 2-3 months, I have sold about 30++ bottles from my collection mostly from impulse and blind buying. I have now come to realize when buying a perfume, I need to get something I really love. It's not about the quantity. It's about what you really would wear.

It's a matter of defining your preferences and there are all kinds of variables and fluctuations as you go. I mean you're not trying to get to any one place. You're just having a little fun along the way.

I'm not into collecting. If I like it I keep it, and if I don't it usually goes. I buy a lot of extra bottles of things I like and sometimes I get tired of the them just sitting there and I decide to sell some of them. I once sold ten ounces of Patou pour Homme and I've done something similar with a lot of others. Fortunately I was able to reacquire all the Patou pour Homme I needed.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th June 2011 at 01:58 AM.

There is no "one size fits all". My own view is I want to have a varied collection of fragrances I love and use, not ones that gather dust. I think about 30 is the upper bound for that with me.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    In the last 2-3 months, I have sold about 30++ bottles from my collection mostly from impulse and blind buying. I have now come to realize when buying a perfume, I need to get something I really love. It's not about the quantity. It's about what you really would wear.
    Well said Volley. I'd much rather have 10-20 great fragrances that I would actually use and enjoy and let those around me enjoy them more often than a huge rotation. But at the same time if your a collector then it's more of the thrill of scoring it than actually wearing it.

I like the thought of collecting vintage, discontinued and niche bottles.

First, one has to define "Collecting".

Perfume 'collectors' generally look for a common theme when purchasing a scent (ie: it could be a a brand they're faithful to; a shape bottle; a theme; a glass colour; or a particular vintage). Those who amass a lot of different scents (bought because they just like the smell, or on impulse) are less 'collectors' in my eyes, and more 'horders'.
    I'm a bit of both... I collect perfume presentations for preservation (discontinued / vintage things), and also have a bunch of scents that I enjoy smelling and wearing. My "collection" is untouchable... my 'fragrances' are there to be enjoyed.

I dont think you should fret about the rotation aspect. Wear what moves you or takes your fancy for the day. If it doesnt get worn often, sell/swap it or put it in a cupboard to be later discovered as an 'antique of the future'.

Quote Originally Posted by scenternerian View Post
    Is there a right size collection?
    No. The right size is as individual as the fragrance.

Blog Entries

I'm trying to downsize alot...all i've done so far is trade one's I don't use for one's I might use lol. CHECK OUT MY SWAP THREAD PEOPLE, I WANT THAT STUFF GONZO! (shameless self promotion over)

I used to go for anything and everything, now I've become alot more conservative with my purchases (for the most part)

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Some of the purchases mark the different milestones in my fragrance exploration. Few are impulsive purchases/ blind buys. The majority however are those I'd gladly wear on rotation, even if it's just a sniff before bedtime. And the few I've let go haunt my thoughts on occasions. So nowadays when I want to sell a bottle, I'd keep a decant of ~5ml, for reference.

I am quality all the way! I only have 8 bottles now (one is only 15 ml). And I am trying to figure out how to cut that to 6 and still get the next two scents I want.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I've been struggling with this very issue the past few months. I wasn't enjoying my frags as much when my collection started to get so big that I felt like I had too many to choose from. Some frags were going long stretches without my wearing them and there were some that even though I liked then they were to hard to wear for whatever reason.

Then as I started trimming my wardrobe down there were times when I looked at my collection and had a harder time finding something that fit the situation and struck my mood just right. I kept finding myself saying 'I just wore that' and 'not in the mood for that'.

I guess my mind hasn't adjusted to being ok with wearing the same frag for a few days in a row, or quite a few times during a week after I got use to being able to smell different every day for a couple months if I so chose. This is only after I got comfortable with having so many choices after a decade or more where I only had 2 or 3 different frags total and was use to wearing the same thing every day.

I guess it's that I'm a creature of habit and though my habits change... I don't always change gears smoothly. I feel like I'm settling into a collection size that allows me a few choices for every occasion and I get to choose which one suits my mood. The frags that I love and are versatile enough to cover a few different situations get a prime spot in my rotation.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

I think 20-30 scents are ok.

Keep it simple, with all the perfumes out there, there is no need to keep mediocre perfumes.

My collection has grown much bigger then I intended it to. I recently switched to samples and minis in order to satisfy my hunger for new stuff, that kinda works for me but I still feel the urge to go for full bottles once I really like something. So my collection is still growing. I plan to sell/swap away a lot of stuff in the near future. My goal ist still to only keep the bottle I deem to be the best of each genre that I'm interested in.

I would love to be able to cut it back to 30 but I just dont seem to can. As DiamondFlame I would be haunted by almost every single bottle I sell with FEW excepteions. So I'm already seeing myself with not a monthly but rather yearly rotation.
    Smellin good

I have 3 colognes in my rotation, and have a lot of samples that I use if I want to change things up. I only buy a full bottle if I am absolutely in love with it. I am more of a serial sampler. I'm sure that if I just try a dozen more fragrances, I'll find the next "must have." Then that turns into the next dozen, and so on.

I identify with the main message of the thread.

I came to basenotes as someone who would by an Annick Goutal fragrance a year and happily wear it everday till the bottle was gone and then the next year pick another one and do the same thing over. This satisfied me for over 15 years. Then her damn incense fragrance came along, confused the hell out of me, and I found my way here, put the key in the door and never looked back.

Now I own over 300 samples and about 35 bottles.

It's making me nervous.

When I used to have a pick up truck I never liked to own more than would fill the truck - in case I wanted to suddenly move.

So I want to get my 35 bottles down to 20. I want my one perfect sandlewood, .... my one favorite rose, one incense, one orange blossom, patchouli, amber, marine, etc.

The problem is right when I find my perfect rose... rose 31... then I find lyric woman.

It is what it is. There is no perfect.

I have 30+ bottles that i did not used yet. Im using day by day a fragrance, to cut the bottles without use, but its hard, the week have 7 days, and im receiving 10+ bottles a week.
    Im slowling stopping to buy compulsively

And that's it. I'm planning of buying some frags i've always wanted to have, even now that my collection is quite big for an average joe like me. Then, i'll buy one or two "expensive" ones i'd love to get. And then, doing some sampling here and there, just to get to know fragrances we talk about. Buying full bottles of everything is no good, i feel bad when i look at my AMen whick i've only used twice or so...

I think we go through stages. A complete novice (like myself) starts off with very few fragrances or any at all and just concentrates on building up a small collecation. the problem is they dont know what they want or like and so end up impulse buying/blind buying plenty. As your knowledge increases, you get a better understanding of what you do and do not like and thus buying is reserved only for what you really want. Somewhere in there you start to work out what you want, what you dont want and your collection changes appropriately

NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

For me, I went from one to about 10, after culling as I went. Ideally, I have a small list that I want to add on to make it 20. At which I can separate into.

1. Keep Use and Rebuy
    2. Keep Use won't Rebuy
    3. Getting bored, give away or sell.

Hopefully this way I can get down to about 5-7 that I truly love.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I must must must downsize at over 115 frags. I think what you love should stay. As far as what you (or me) like(s) , a few likeable bottles on hand is not too bad, but i have prob 30 or 40 that i think are just ok. So enjoy what you have, replace what you love!

I try and keep it to a Top 10 of fragrances which I consider a personal 4 1/2-5 Star. One for every different occasion/mood conceivable.

I generally won't blind buy anything anymore , rather just continue to buy samples and when those rare days comes where I HAVE TO HAVE IT! One from the top 10 will be phased out and replaced.

sprayed all of my frags onto paper cards (well more like paper sheet strips) and smelled them about 30 min later. the ones that seemed great numbered around 35 or so... the rest were overshadowed.

one surprise that came out of this... Tuscany Uomo and Kouros were among the greats... i could immediately identify the Jean Claude Ellena frags... and i made a decison to keep all of them... i may sell to friends if there is interest

MDCI Invasion Barbare is no.1 at the moment. Epic. Just Epic.

I am maybe not the best example in this sense, because currently am not looking forward to downsize, but to expand my fragrance
    wardrobe

Finally got fed up

Got rid of a lot of "I'm a collector so i need to have these" like Kouros, Versace Dreamer, Creed BdP, Gucci Envy, YSL Opium, etc. Are they nice? Sure. Wearable? Sure. But not by me and not now or in the forseeable future.

Also threw out a lot of sentimental glut. This includes a lot of half full designer and Creed bottles (Original Vetiver, Royal Water) that were just clingers.

Financially, it was the time spent in the acquisition that was the biggest hit. Definitely about quality from now on. The cleanup feels awesome, I'm excited about my new rotation - just 18 frags.

Goal is to keep it under 20 for now. Hopefully under 10 by next summer.

MDCI Invasion Barbare
    ELdO Tom of Finland
    Puredistance M
    Mazollari Lui
    Creed Spice and Wood
    Montale Woods and Spice
    Creed Aventus
    Creed GIT
    Cartier Declaration
    Chanel BDC
    Prada Amber PH Intense
    Houbiguant Fougere Royale
    Bond 9 Coney Island
    Hermes TDH
    Van Cleef dArpels Midnight in Paris
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Clive Christian C
    Brioni PH

This +1!

I simply cant justify buying a fragrance unless I know it would see some real usage (not just once or twice)!

And Im only at 20 bottles and already finding it hard to find new frags to buy...

This hobby really enhances my patience.

I'm more of a rotation guy than a collector. I have about 20 fragrances in my wardrobe and eliminate ones I don't use as much or ones I wouldn't reach more if I have another similar one I prefer. For example I like Back to Black but, I much prefer Tobacco Vanille and anytime I'd wear Back to Black I would rather have Tobacco Vanille instead.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I tried to downsize about six months ago and sold a handful. Within a few weeks, I regretted letting some go and I already have one on my to-buy list. Nowadays, if there's a frag I am lukewarm about, I'll wait it out. Time changes everything. There are some gems in my collection that may be collecting dust only to be rediscovered.

Banned

I simply buy and sell as I see fit (or needed)

Humans will always want what they don't (or can't) have. I'm slowly becoming more okay with this. I know my collection is too big to use and I've often tried to narrow down my interests and rotation but my resolve always collapses under the weight of opportunity and I end up buying more. But once in a blue moon I am struck with the urge to wear something I thought I'd stopped enjoying, and then I realize I had inadvertently become more patient and I am rewarded with options for not casting things off.
    When you can make a Swiss Army knife look like a spork does that make you a hoarder? ('Collector' has a nicer connotation...)
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

i'm wearing the stuff i like now...

not memories of events and chapters of my life that have long since passed, or scents that i plan on wearing for such and such event. that kind of planning never goes according to how you imagine it. it got to me that my frags were like pictures from the past or talismans for certain life events.

eff that noise. out with the nonsense.

I've been a bit of a collector/hoarder of fragrances for the last 8 years or so, but have downsized hugely over the last 18 months. I've severely reduced expenditure in terms of the number of fragrances bought, and gradually worked through half empty bottles.

The number of bottles I own now is probably at its smallest in the last 10 years, so much so I'm currently working with:

Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford - Italian Cypress
    Creed - Virgin Island Water
    Bvlgari - Black
    Davidoff - Cool Water
    Dior - Homme

It makes choosing of a morning far easier, but I am on the look out for new additions, but will be far more selective on what I buy.

Some that are on my to sample list are Le Labo Rose 31, and Body Kouros (cannot remember this scent for the life of me).

I will probably look to reacquire Burberry Brit at some point, and may add either Green Irish Tweed or Amouage Jubilation XXV as the next addition to my more refined collection.

Don't see why I should limit myself. You only live once. I've done plenty of shopping lately and enjoyed it. If I don't like something, get bored of it, find something better that can replace it, I will sell it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Lately I've been paying more attention to what I use and don't use (perfumes and other things). I'm making a point of wearing the perfumes I've neglected and asking myself if I still like them enough to keep them. If the answer is No, they have been getting sold or given away. I've cleared out a number of bottles lately-- some were backups I decide I didn't need after all. I gave my mother a bottle of a violet perfume yesterday-- she smiled as she slipped it into her purse. Isn't it better with her than cluttering my house, since I wasn't using it?

I've also put the brakes on buying new bottles (or anything else I don't need) for now, and am just building up my fund of discretionary money.

Life has phases! "To every thing there is a season... a time to keep, and a time to cast away." I've been devoting hours to paring down the contents of our house to exclude those items that none of us needs or wants. I've hauled bags of books to the library and other items to Goodwill, and my husband has been listing things on eBay. Less clutter, more money. Feels good.

I'm sure I will buy more perfumes at some point, but I think they will have to be extraordinary because I already have so many I love, and most of what is being released doesn't interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I've been devoting hours to paring down the contents of our house to exclude those items that none of us needs or wants. I've hauled bags of books to the library and other items to Goodwill, and my husband has been listing things on eBay. Less clutter, more money. Feels good.
    I agree, ebay is a great way to reduce clutter and make some cash... anything worth more than $10 and doesn't get used is fair game to sell on ebay, stuff worth less I give away. You get pretty fast listing stuff after a while.

Now that I have about 15 frags I like I am FAR more selective about buying more. I enjoy sampling, but only one out of a couple dozen samples I like enough to want to own. If a frag is around $30 or under I will typically buy a FB blind if I'm interested in trying it, luckily that has worked out really well (Yatagan, Declaration, Black Jeans).

Mostly, I buy bottles to wear, and I don't buy much. If I have a decant of something I think I'd like a bottle of, I make a rule of waiting until the decant is gone to buy a bottle. That way, if I'm going to get sick of it, hopefully I'll do it before I pounce on the bottle.

My "collection" (however you want to define that term) is 20-30 bottles at the moment, plus many many more decants and samples. I do have some rare, discontinued bottles, but I wouldn't say I "collect" these in the way Sorcery states. It just happens that many scents I like are discontinued. Ultimately I intend to use these up, just like everything else.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."