Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Are you such a serious collector that you.........................

• must purchase a fragrance WITH the original box?
    • Or.............it has to be a full size and not a *gasp* MINI?
    • Or.............it must be an original formula/bottle/design?.........no matter the cost?
    • Just wondering, cuz I was first hesitant to get testers or non-boxed scents now I just want to get the scent, no matter what.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Default Re: Are you such a serious collector that you.........................

Well. . . yes. . .

I just want to know that the juice is in good condition.

Yes.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I want the box, the cap and the original.....The only way I would want a modern or new vesion is if the new version were better! And if I get the new version I want the box and the cap.....Gary

No, no, and no. With two caveats.

Minis don't bother me for sampling and they are in my collection *as samples.* If I want a full bottle of something, I don't consider a mini a replacement for a bottle. Just a useful tool for inexpensively experiencing.

I prefer original formulas, but if they're too expensive and the modern version is a good approximation, I'll compromise.

Couldn't care less about boxes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I have several testers.
    Some of my bottles that I bought secondhand had no box. Some were full; others partial bottles.
    I bought a mini that led to my buying a full bottle, and another mini that showed me I didn't like the fragrance enough for a full bottle; they served the same purpose as decants.

Originals...well, some fragrances I own date from the 1970s but were created earlier, so it is likely they were reformulated before I came to love them. And others I bought in the early 2000s were created in the 1980s and may have been reformulated by the time I tried them. So, I can't say with great confidence that I avoid all reformulations. But, the ones I am aware of don't smell very good to me, compared to their earlier version.

And I also have lots of fragrances that I bought new in box from an authorized retailer. Those are the majority of my fragrances.

I don't think I see myself as a collector when it comes to perfumes. I just buy whatever I like, and I buy it to use it.

Yes to all three of the OP's questions.

I have a couple decants of around 20 to 30ml in plain atomizers from splits...once I decide if I like them enough to get a bottle, I'll go ahead with a new, full bottle in its original box... I've done this for a lot of my scents now...I like to get a smaller decant into an atomizer instead of just a splash sample. It's recently led to full bottle purchases of GIT, MI, M7, Ambre Narguile, New Haarlem and several others over the past 6 months or so. I have to say, for collection purposes, I definitely want the original bottle, cap, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Well. . . yes. . .
    +1. Although no guarantee of good juice, the box helps preserve a fragrance by keeping it from light. There are also limits as to what I'll pay for a particular fragrance. I buy to wear the fragrance as well.

Martin

Usually yes, but I am not deterred by an unboxed masterpiece

Box is not that important (if the price is considerably less than with the box) but yes Cap is must...

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I have several testers.
    +1 Plain cardboard boxes and no caps, but still smell great!

I dont mind second hand but it must be complete with cap and box . Minis dont interest me , I want the bottle etc .

I dont class myself as a collector though

i just want them i ntheir original bottles and preferably as they were meant to be in terms of their formulations et al.

No. Bottles are nice, but it's what's inside that interests me. I'm more than happy to have decants in plain atomisers.

I would probably not buy a fragrance without a cap and box. I don't like buying used either. Testers I don't mind (if there's a box and cap). But I don't consider myself a serious collector at all.

I'm a juice man. Could care less about containers.

One more comment.

It depends on your definition of "collector." I think all of us collect "scent experiences," for lack of a better term. Whether you also collect for the visual aesthetic of the bottles is a whole other matter. For me, the bottles are nice, but incidental. If a scent I like comes in a gorgeous bottle, and I wanted a bottle of the scent anyway, awesome.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    + 1
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well. . . yes. . .
    +1.

Yes, yes, and no. But what I do is get a small decant first.. try out the scent.. and if I like it than I buy a big bottle, otherwise I don't bother to buy it. So I wouldn't say I am a "collector." I only buy it if I really like the scent (few exceptions if I can't get a decant or sample.) Coincidentally, most of my blind buys I regret. Need to sell them soon.
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

More of a connoisseur than a collector. Size doesn't matter.

I don't care too much about not having the box (although it does hurt resell value and I find myself selling off certain fragrances from time to time).

However, I don't purchase bottles that are missing the cap (most testers), or have tester-related print/info printed on the bottles. Just a personal preference.

Bottle size depends on the type of fragrance and how many sprays I use per application. For example, I would want the largest bottle of Eau d'Orange Verte that I can purchase, however a 1oz bottle of Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin will last me years.

Weel, not like the OP stated but I dont like missing caps and have yet to make peace with decants.

But then again if I want the juice badly enough I wont mind.
    Smellin good

Vintages Sealeds >>> All

Blog Entries

Yes. Absolutely, emphatically, without doubt, yes.

Well. . . yes. . .

Caps are important to me, boxes not so much. Testers don't bother me as long as they have a cap, yes I have probably about 4 or 5 frags that are testers with the cap. Funny thing about boxes, when I get one that is new and still sealed I carefully open it from the bottom to keep the plastic on it.

I have traded and sold some away that I'm sure the people who got them opened the package and were surprised to see the box came with plastic still on it. I also wonder if they kept it that way or just ripped off the plastic not caring about it.

I like to get full bottles though I will enjoy a decant, too, but having so little I always feel like I'm hindered in my ability to wear it when I like and fully give it a good wearing as I'm always trying to save it.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

+2.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

"Funny thing about boxes, when I get one that is new and still sealed I carefully open it from the bottom to keep the plastic on it."

That is a great IDEA, never thought of it! I'm sure that would help in reselling it. Thanks for that innovative collector's practice.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

i'm cool with testers. my kenzo power is one but it has a cap and looks pretty much the same as the ones from department stores.

+3 (if I count correctly) for me, that's what all this is about.