Code of Conduct

Default Is this vintage Fahrenheit?

I found this at a garage sale. The box appears to be pre-formulated, but I was wondering how I can date the bottle. The package is sealed, but there are reference numbers stamped on the cellophane. The reference numbers are 4220S.

Here are some pictures

There are no list of ingredients on the box. The sides just read "keep away from flame, flammable. Alcohol-Fragrance

Default Re: Is this vintage Fahrenheit?

Definitely how i remember it from the 90s. Its a garage sale. So it wont be too expensive. Buy it.

Chances are good, that it is. The blue/red/yellow box is known to be the original design, AFAIK although I believe that also the first one or two reformulations came in this kind of box. That round symbol consisting of arrows in center of your first picture is the "Grüne Punkt" and it has been used not earlier then 1990, which would be at the very least two years after Fahrenheit's launch in 1988.
    I possess a box with this design (100ml atomizer) that I believe is not the original formulation (still good an way better then the current one, mind you). It differs from yours in that it says "30 avenue Hoche" instead of "33" and the LOT (?) printed on mine is "9112C". On the side that you're looking at when you hold the box like in your second picture and turn it 1x clockwise, there's a black "3" printed under the warning texts and "Ref. 6624" in golden letters under it in the yellow area. Also the text on the front looks slightly different but I suppose that's because yours is a smaller sized bottle.
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 29th June 2011 at 06:16 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Yes, it's vintage!

Hope you picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Chances are good, that it is. The blue/red/yellow box is known to be the original design, AFAIK although I believe that also the first one or two reformulations came in this kind of box. That round symbol consisting of arrows in center of your first picture is the "Grüne Punkt" and it has been used not earlier then 1990, which would be at the very least two years after Fahrenheit's launch in 1988.
    I possess a box with this design (100ml atomizer) that I believe is not the original formulation (still good an way better then the current one, mind you). It differs from yours in that it says "30 avenue Hoche" instead of "33" and the LOT (?) printed on mine is "9112C". On the side that you're looking at when you hold the box like in your second picture and turn it 1x clockwise, there's a black "3" printed under the warning texts and "Ref. 6624" in golden letters under it in the yellow area. Also the text on the front looks slightly different but I suppose that's because yours is a smaller sized bottle.

Thanks for the valuable information. In looking at my Fahrenheit closer, I do not see a black "3" under the warning text or a "Ref. 6624 in golden letters in the yellow area. Does this mean it is one of the earlier reformulations? That would be disappointing, but a find nonetheless.

By the way, what does AFAIK refer too?

AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

I really can't tell what the differences between our boxes mean.

Thank you for your help.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hope you picked it up.
    My thoughts exactly.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I have a bottle of Fahrenheit purchased in the early 90s, does this mean it's vintage? I don't have the box.

Congratulations, its a vintage without that idiot gasoline!

I bought one for me today too, coincidently

How beautiful is the vintage bottles and boxes, uhm!

Vintage

I think I also recently acquired one, as I said on another thread today: Just acquired an old 3.4 ounce one from a friend's elder relative. Mine is the old style bottle and the serial number is either AB1 or A31. There is also what I think is a bottle identification number of 23 (the 3 is small and it's possible it's something else). In the picture in post #32, the label on the bottom is similar to the middle large bottle. My friend thinks it's a very early version. Any ideas? I haven't tried it yet.

Possumbility: When you open the box, take a look at the bottom of the bottle and please post back here and describe exactly what you see (if you can't post a pic). Thanks.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th June 2011 at 03:06 AM.

Congrats.....Nice find!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I think I also recently acquired one, as I said on another thread today: Just acquired an old 3.4 ounce one from a friend's elder relative. Mine is the old style bottle and the serial number is either AB1 or A31. There is also what I think is a bottle identification number of 23 (the 3 is small and it's possible it's something else). In the picture in post #32, the label on the bottom is similar to the middle large bottle. My friend thinks it's a very early version. Any ideas? I haven't tried it yet.

Possumbility: When you open the box, take a look at the bottom of the bottle and please post back here and describe exactly what you see (if you can't post a pic). Thanks.
    I copied this off a thread on dating bottles
    "Christian Dior uses a combination of numbers and letters but only the first two are important*with the year as denoted in the 1st digit, followed by a letter denoting the month starting with A for January*up to*M for December (the letter I is skipped). "

There is also http://cosmeticswizard.net/ for finding dates from batch codes.

I was trying to not open the box as I would like to sell it to finance a bottle of Mona di Orio Cuir - Les Nombres d’Or.
    Vintage Fahrenheit is great. I even like the the reformulated one-gasoline, love it-but Cuir - Les Nombres d’Or makes me want to go kill a beaver for the castoreum and roll in it. So good...

So mine appears to be from early 2000. I sprayed once today, a few inches above the navel. The atomizer did a good job of creating an even spray and a wide coverage area. That was over two hours ago. So far, I don't find this to be offensive, though there is the grass clippings and gasoline accord that's a little weird and not pleasant. I'm not getting much beyond this, though, which surprises me. I was hoping for some interesting base notes, perhaps the grass & gas giving way to strong oakmoss, leather, and/or wood, with a touch of sweetness. It's so weak at this point, though, I can't imagine that happening. Conclusion: there's nothing especially pleasant nor unpleasant, and the base (which is most important to me) is of no interest. If it does develop further I'll update this post.

yes... i find the vintage fahrenheit smells nicer than the current formulation (which i find has too much leather and also a bit gasoline smelling). incidentally, a couple of years ago, i bought a fake vintage fahrenheit from ebay. i could not tell from the picture initially, but when it arrived, it was an obvious fake. box and inner cardboard layer were thin and flimsy. even the glass bottle was not well made. the scent was hardly there as well... managed to return it but had to pay for postage...

luckily i still have my very first 1988 version (which my classmates bought for my birthday). incidentally, the spray is aerosol (ie. just press and it keeps spraying until u release it) and not the usual kind of mechanical spray. brings back wonderful memories which the new version cannot conjure.
    Last edited by dark phoenix 123; 9th November 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Possumbility View Post
    I found this at a garage sale. The box appears to be pre-formulated, but I was wondering how I can date the bottle. The package is sealed, but there are reference numbers stamped on the cellophane. The reference numbers are 4220S.
    There are no list of ingredients on the box. The sides just read "keep away from flame, flammable. Alcohol-Fragrance
    but, my perception is not sufficiently clear .... do you really like the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    its a vintage without that idiot gasoline!
    LoL , good point!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Yes, you are very fortunate! 4220S is the original batch number from the vintage product in 1988. It was actually made in 87. You found a gem, and an excellent fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Yes, you are very fortunate! 4220S is the original batch number from the vintage product in 1988. It was actually made in 87. You found a gem, and an excellent fragrance.
    hi, buddy!! where do you watch the correspondence between the batch number and year of production?
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    hi, buddy!! where do you watch the correspondence between the batch number and year of production?
    Not to toot my own horn, but I am and expert on the Fahrenheit brand.. the batch numbers, the reformulations, limited editions, etc. It has always been my favorite designer fragrance. Sadly, I know some of the batch numbers by heart, and when they were created..

Any starting with 422 were from the vintage batch/original formulation. Fahrenheit has been reformulated 4 times, and is working on a 5th from what I have been told.

Not to toot my own horn, but I am and expert on the Fahrenheit brand.. the batch numbers, the reformulations, limited editions, etc. It has always been my favorite designer fragrance. Sadly, I know some of the batch numbers by heart, and when they were created..

Any starting with 422 were from the vintage batch/original formulation. Fahrenheit has been reformulated 4 times, and is working on a 5th from what I have been told.
    It would be a great service if you published here what you know about the codes and their corresponding years and formulation numbers.

Griff
    Griff

Could you be so kind as to list the years that the reformulations occurred? And is the batch number the only real method to determine. There is some debate about the boxes being an indicator, but I am not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    It would be a great service if you published here what you know about the codes and their corresponding years and formulation numbers.

Griff
    My thoughts exactly

Alright.. I will do this the best that I can. I am not 100% accurate of all serial numbers.. just the ones I have come across. Here goes..

Vintage formulation was made in 1987, hit shelves in 88. The batch numbers are: Anything from 4000S-4999S. This includes OP's serial # 4220S. This also includes others with 4 numbers followed by a letter, such as 7621F; which was the number on my original vintage bottle. All vintage bottles from the first formulation will have 4 numbers and then a letter. <--To the best of my knowledge.

Second formulation. This was the first reformulation. Fahrenheit was first reformulated in 1994.. I do not know the serials on this batch, but I do no know it was reformulated again in 98.. see below.

The last 2 reformulations; the first of which was in 1998, the 2nd which in 2006.. these bottles contain serials that are: number, letter, number, number. For example, my current bottle, 5K02, which was manufactured in 2004.

The third formulation, which is the one I currently have a bottle of, was the last of the "decent".

Once reformulated in 2006, that is what is on the shelves now.. Not as powerful as the 3rd formulation.

The first and second formulations are hard to tell apart, they were both very strong.

To my understanding, it will be reformulated again some time in 2012, as will many other Dior fragrances.

Of course, there are visual details on the boxes and bottles as well, they have changed them quite a few times. The newest bottle obviously has a more sleek design.

Below is a clear image of a bottle from either the first or second formulation.

Sometime around the second formulation, the presentation changed to this:

The third formulation, the bottle changed in color, and the box changed, but the cap remained the same, but changed in color slightly.

Somewhere either after the last reformulation (above; or 3rd formulation) or perhaps a little after it, was when they changed the bottle to its current more sleek design. See below:

This took me a good while to put everything together.. I hope it helps Fahrenheit fanatics!
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 21st November 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Sorry.. I guess in theory, it's been "reformulated" 3 times, since the original would just be the formulation. But, in total there have been 4 formulations. Hope this helps!!

Thank you The_Cologneist! This is indeed a big help!

Griff
    Griff

As I've said before in another thread, I'm pretty sure that the first digit of the serial number at the bottom of the bottle/box indicates the year of production. I have various bottles of Fahrenheit here and the first digit always matches the year when I purchased that particular bottle. For example:

2L01 = Fahrenheit 0 Degree (from 2002)
    3C02 = Fahrenheit 0 Degree (from 2003)
    4M01 = Fahrenheit (bought in 2004)
    6D01 = Fahrenheit Summer 2006
    7G05 = Fahrenheit (bought in 2007)
    0W03 = Fahrenheit (bought in 2010)
    0Z03 = Aqua Fahrenheit (bought in early 2011, probably produced in 2010)

Then I bought two bottles from eBay which I'm not sure of:

9C01 (can't be from 2009 because of the old box, might be from 1999 - see below)
    1P533 (no idea what to make of this number)

I have noticed that the color of the batch numbers on the bottle seems to be of importance as well. All the bottles from the 2000's that I own have black numbers, while the last two have white numbers. Since those last two came in vintage boxes, I suspect that the white numbers are from the 1990's. So I speculate that my 9C01 botlle might be from 1999. What year the 1P533 is from, I have no idea.

Since The Cologneist said that the original formulation used a numbering system of four numbers and a letter, it's possible that the system that I mentioned above hadn't been in use prior to 1994 (first reformulation) or even 1998 (second reformulation).

Can anyone confirm or deny my speculations?
    Last edited by osoblanco; 7th December 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Mine was bought in 1997. The box is same as shown at Possumbility pictures. Batch number is 8D02.
    According to 'the batch number theory' this could be a second reformulation bottle in 1998.No way.

Batch number is engraved, colorless. Not stamped.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna_May View Post
    Batch number is engraved, colorless. Not stamped.
    I referred to the numbers on the bottle, not the ones on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by osoblanco View Post
    I referred to the numbers on the bottle, not the ones on the box.
    Sorry,
    I was referring to 'the_Colgneist user theory' and based on the first picture showing the colored batch number at the box.

I have chedked my bottle right now and it shows stamped batch number in silver color.

regards

based on the first picture showing the colored batch number at the box
    Good point, that really looks unusual!

I have chedked my bottle right now and it shows stamped batch number in silver color.
    Which concurs with my theorie about the silver/white batch numbers being from the 1990's. Are you absolutely sure that yours was bought in 1997, and not in 1998?

By the way, the bottles currently being sold in the shops all have codes starting with "1", like 201"1".

Not to toot my own horn, but I am and expert on the Fahrenheit brand.. the batch numbers, the reformulations, limited editions, etc.
    I have three vintage bottles in old red/blue/gold boxes here right now, but they all have different batch number patterns:

4594Y
    This one fits your description of the very first and original formulation, right?

1P533
    I've never encountered a pattern like this before, but the label on the bottom is exactly like the one above (incl. alcohol content).

9C01
    This one fits the current pattern and is the only ne of those three that has the batch number actually engraved into the box, no alcohol content given on the bottom label.

Do you have any idea which years those three bottles might be from? Which year did the box change from the original colour to the second one? 9C01 could be from 1989 or more likely 1999 but had the old box been in use that long?

Edit: The 4594Y is a little different in colour. While the other two are almost the same colour from top to bottom, this one goes a little lighter towards the bottom.
    Last edited by osoblanco; 27th January 2012 at 08:54 AM.

Basenotes Junkie Vitamin B Complex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Possumbility View Post

Here are some pictures

I just bought a Fahrenheit exactly the same as this except the bottom of the box is very slightly different, the recycyle logo is in the top right hand corner and the square with the writing inside it is under that logo, barcode is underneath both right at the bottom. Other than that it's identical.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Congratulations, its a vintage without that idiot gasoline!

I bought one for me today too, coincidently

How beautiful is the vintage bottles and boxes, uhm!
    The box is exactly the same as this ^^

Is it a fake or a vintage? It has not arrived yet as I bought it online, when it arrives I'll post more pictures.

Was quite cheap so I took a chance buying it. It's a 50ml.

All the vintage 50 ml bottles I bought from eBay were genuine. But out of the three 100 ml bottles, I received three fakes. Got my money back every time, but it's annoying!

All the vintage 50 ml bottles I bought from eBay were genuine. But out of the three 100 ml bottles, I received three fakes. Got my money back every time, but it's annoying!
    Cheers, how much different is the vintage to the new formulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    Cheers, how much different is the vintage to the new formulation?
    It's really hard to tell for someone who is not an expert in fragrances. What I can tell is that the vintage stuff is giving my skin an allergic reaction ... :-(

Would be nice if you could post the batch code of your bottle when you receive it!

Here is the bottom of the box:

The code is 9601S or 9501S, I can't see it that clearly.

There is the box and bottle. It has not arrived yet, these are pictures I requested.

I got the Fahrenheit today, it's code is 9601. Four numbers and no letter, I put it in this site http://checkcosmetic.net/ and it's saying it's from 2009. The box and bottle are exactly the same as the one Cologneist posted:

Exactly the same as this except it says 'for men natural spray' instead of 'pour homme vaporisateur'.

Is it a new-er formulation in an old bottle/box? It was cheaper to buy than buying the current 50ml (current formulation 50ml £40 retail, this 'vintage' cost me £30) so I'm definitely happy with the purchase. The smell though, upon spraying it, straight away I could tell it doesn't have the gasoline/petroleum smell as strongly as my 100ml 2010 bottle of Fahrenheit. This smells different, much better and closer to the one I had back in 2004.

It was purchased from Selfridges in Manchester.

Good point, that really looks unusual!

Which concurs with my theorie about the silver/white batch numbers being from the 1990's. Are you absolutely sure that yours was bought in 1997, and not in 1998?
    Sorry, I had not read your post till now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is my Fahrenheit bottle, as you see it seems to be 'vintage'. Also it came with an small leaflet inside the box, displaying the full line products.

Here you are some pictures showing the batch number stamped on bottom box & bottle:

I have also checked batch number in 'checkcosmetic.net' and it says April 2008. Certainly...not!

I purchased 2 x 1.7 oz in 1997 on a dutyfree during a trip. This is the latter bottle I use of this pair, and also have as a backup a 6.4 oz bottle from 2006, unopened yet.
    I am so sure I purchased this one in 1997 because it was when going on a cruising.

I do not think this helps but confuse , but this is all I can say. Sorry!

Mine is exactly the same as that ^^

edited - Upon closer inspection of my code, it's actually 9G01 and not 9601. Number, letter, two numbers, like yours.

I'm convinced this is not made in 2008/9 like that site says.
    Last edited by Vitamin B Complex; 14th February 2012 at 03:35 PM.

edited - Upon closer inspection of my code, it's actually 9G01 and not 9601. Number, letter, two numbers, like yours.

If I purchased in 1997 ... this cannot be 2008/2009 production despite of checkcosmetic.net site says

If 1998 porduction, bottle was back in time in 1997 on the shelf awaiting for me to pick up & purchase , but I am pretty it was 1997 since I do not buy on a 'floating' duty free shop 'every day' . May I be wrong but I check my 'memories' and only find September 1997 as a date to purchase these 2 bottles.

If I purchased in 1997 ... this cannot be 2008/2009 production despite of checkcosmetic.net site says

If 1998 porduction, bottle was back in time in 1997 on the shelf awaiting for me to pick up & purchase , but I am pretty it was 1997 since I do not buy on a 'floating' duty free shop 'every day' . May I be wrong but I check my 'memories' and only find September 1997 as a date to purchase these 2 bottles.
    I did think myself when looking at checkcosmetic.net that something wasn't right, I know the bottle is legit so why would they manufacture new fragrances in old bottles and boxes? Doesn't make sense. It actually smells like the old Fahrenheit I had years ago, there's no way this is the same as the new version.

You're correct I think, it must be 1997 or before. According to Cologneist's information - 'Second formulation. This was the first reformulation. Fahrenheit was first reformulated in 1994.. I do not know the serials on this batch, but I do no know it was reformulated again in 98.. see below.'

The codes for the 2nd formulation, he says he does not know, so maybe it's possible that 2nd and 3rd formulations both had number, letter, number, numbers codes? Also did the 2nd formulation come in the same box as the original Fahrenheit from the 80s?

I personally think your (and mine) bottles were manufactured pre-1998 and are 2nd formulation bottles.

How come vintage Fahrenheit is so easy to find? Why are some shops still selling it?

This is my Fahrenheit bottle, as you see it seems to be 'vintage'. Also it came with an small leaflet inside the box, displaying the full line products.
    If you take a closer look at the leaflet, there will be another hint of the production year. There is a date printed in there, something like 10/97 or 9/98 ... so the bottle itself can't be older than that.

I have also checked batch number in 'checkcosmetic.net' and it says April 2008. Certainly...not!

I purchased 2 x 1.7 oz in 1997 on a dutyfree during a trip. This is the latter bottle I use of this pair, and also have as a backup a 6.4 oz bottle from 2006, unopened yet.
    I am so sure I purchased this one in 1997 because it was when going on a cruising.
    As I said before, the first digit normally refers to the year of production. But it could be that it rather refers to the year when it is supposed to hit the shelves. Maybe it was sold early in Duty Free Shops. So maybe it was produced in 1997, but was sold in normal shops in 1998. That's the only explanation I can give. But it's definitely not from the 2000's, that's for sure!

By the way, yesterday I received a bottle with the batch code 7814K, which - according to the leaflet - is from 1997. So it seems that the batch code pattern changed somewhen around 1997/1998 from four numbers and a letter to number, letter, two numbers. The colour of the bottles seem to have changed as well. The 1997 bottle goes a little orange towards the bottom, while a 1999 bottle I have that also came in a vintage box is all red.
    Last edited by osoblanco; 17th February 2012 at 09:58 AM.

If the 9G01 are white letters, then it's from 1999. The 2000's use black letters.

I have a bottle that says 9C01, and it's from 1999 (the leaflet stating 1998, but that's probably when the leaflet was printed). Or it was produced in 1998 and meant for sale in 1999 (see my post above).

If the 9G01 are white letters, then it's from 1999. The 2000's use black letters.

I have a bottle that says 9C01, and it's from 1999 (the leaflet stating 1998, but that's probably when the leaflet was printed). Or it was produced in 1998 and meant for sale in 1999 (see my post above).
    It's white/silver.

If it's from '99, the bottle should be the 3rd formulation bottle right? Cologneist posted pics in order and the bottle that I have would mean it's 2nd formulation, I think?

This is very confusing.

It's white/silver.

If it's from '99, the bottle should be the 3rd formulation bottle right? Cologneist posted pics in order and the bottle that I have would mean it's 2nd formulation, I think?

This is very confusing.
    Confusing, indeed. Maybe those bottles in the vintage boxes starting with the a 9 are the last ones of the second formulation. Or maybe it's the third one already?

Does anybody know when exactly the colour of the bottle changed from red top/orange bottom to all red? Maybe that marks the formulation change.

I purchased a small splash bottle of vintage Fahrenheit (I think), it's 7.5ml I think. Smells great.

I also saw a 200ml bottle of vintage Fahrenheit go for £88 on Ebay a couple of days ago. Seems really easy to find.

Can someone who's experienced please identify if this Fahrenheit is a real vintage one?

On checkcosmetics it tells me the production was Nov 2010, that makes me a bit suspicious.

Here are some pics:

DSCN1990.JPG

DSCN1991.JPG

I find it a bit strange that the writing has a red color till the 2nd H of Fahrenheit and then it continues in white.

thanks in advance

Forget checkcosmetics. If it was produced from the year 2000 onwards, the batch code on the bottom of the bottle should be printed in black, not in white. The whole bottle design should be different, that changed around 2006 if I remember correctly. And this particular box style hasn't been in use for at least 10 years. It looks completely different now.

So, it can't be from 2010 or 2000 (wrong batch code colour) and it can't be from 1990 (they were using five digit batch codes back then). This and the colour change you are describing is making me think that it's fake. What about the quality of the glass? The fake bottles I've encountered had the glass colour completely off and had some air bubbles enclosed in the glass.

And most importantly: How does it smell? Fake Fahrenheits usually smell nothing like Fahrenheit.

Where did you get it? Ebay? I saw quite a few fakes there recently. PM me the name of the seller, maybe I can help!