Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference in sillage/longevity between actual bottles and sample sprays?

Hi guys, just joined here so forgive me if this question has been answered before, but quick google search didn't return anything.

Anyways, I just recently got into fragrance. I'm 21 in college and currently, I only have JPG Le Male, and L'eau D'issey pour homme by Issey Miyake.

I have normal skin (not too oily and not too dry) and I get decent longevity from those two frags. 8 -10 hours easy for Le Male, and 7-9 hours for Issey Miyake.

Couple days ago, I got a sample sprayer(two inch vial) of Chanel Allure Homme from the Bay (which is a very well-known department store in Canada) and unfortunately, I rarely even reach the 4 hours mark(I do three sprays on side of neck and wrist). Around three hours mark, I would literally have to put my nose right at the wrist to smell it. I get decent sillage for the 1/2 - 1 hr mark, and wears pretty close afterwards.

But online reviews tell me that Allure Homme is supposed to have excellent longevity, around 7+ hours.

I was wondering if I'm getting poor longevity because it's from a sample sprayer and not an actual bottle. I get expected longevity with Le Male and L'eau D'issey.

I really like the Allure homme, but 4 hours is just lackluster in my opinion.

So I'm asking if any masters out there knows if there is actually a difference between actual bottle sprays and sample vial sprays.

PS: I would go to a store and try the actual tester of Allure homme, but the ones near me only has tester for Allure sport and Edition Blanche.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Default Re: Difference in sillage/longevity between actual bottles and sample sprays?

I dont think the Longevity of a Sample would differ any if at all from a regular bottle of Cologne...the only differances i get from a sample versus a true bottle is if one was much older than the other...also colognes last differantly on people's skins...what lasts 12 hours on one person can last 5 hours on another even from the same bottle!

I could be wrong...i am definatly NOT a Expert in the field of cologne, but thats my personal evaluation!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Difference in sillage/longevity between actual bottles and sample sprays?

Allure Homme holds up well in my experience. Perhaps your nose is just "fatigued" of the scent? Three sprays on your neck, your olfactory senses might get overloaded a bit. It's not as powerful as Le Male and L'Eau d'Issey once it has dried down, but it's no slouch. Perhaps try a couple sprays somewhere further away from your nose... the mid chest is always a good bet. Or just hit your wrists, and only smell them every hour or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys!

Yes I thought I was just getting used to the scent that I don't notice them anymore, but I can still smell them fine on the sprayer itself.

And I do get usual longevity as other ppl with Le Male and l'eau d'issey, just not Allure, or it could very well be fatigue as you've mentioned, especially because I used to put the sprayer under my nose a lot recently; the scent is just very, very pleasant to me.

hmm

Post Thanks / Like

The juice in the sample is what you get in the bottle (given that you got it from the Bay).

Some people posit that the juice in tester bottles is more concentrated than the juice in retail bottles, 'in order to get you hooked' or something, but I don't believe that either.

As for the longevity of the particular scent, I can't comment. Maybe you sprayed less of it since it was from a sample?

Post Thanks / Like

ok this might seem like a stupid question but i gotta ask,

do the amount sprayed from actual bottle differ from the sample sprayer?
    in other words, do actual bottle sprayer give out more juice per spray compared to those sample vials?

I read 3/4 spray is normal for allure, but since I used sample, I should have sprayed more?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

The amount sprayed depends on the size of the nozzle, which can vary across different bottles. If you have empty 1ml vials, you can verify yourself by checking how many sprays it takes to fill it to a given level. Average perfume bottles usually require about 10-12 sprays to fill completely a vial.

I remember there being a discussion months ago on the number of sprays per 100ml depending on nozzle size. I don't know this particular case, but clearly the size can differ between sample vial and regular bottle.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

The nozzle on Allure Homme is one of the best I have seen, you get a lot juice per spray (better than the other bottles I own) which is obviously going to increase sillage/longevity. I cant imagine a sample vial atomiser will be able to spray as well.

I can't imagine that longevity of a fragrance would differ whether it were a sample or retail bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

The size of the sprayer should be the only difference. Most manufacturer's samples I've gotten don't spray nearly as much juice as a production bottle - I'd say about half as much. Malle's are the worst... So sometimes I'll double up on sprays when using a sample atomizer, although it's usually enough.

Post Thanks / Like

well it turns out the sample sprayer was the culprit!
    yesterday, I had the chance to try the actual bottle and could still smell it after 10 hours, although i had to put my nose really close to the skin.

actually, i found out that allure homme, to me, wears really close to the skin after 3 or 4 hours.
    i don't know if it's normal or not but i really enjoy the scent.