Code of Conduct

Default Sun/ perfume allergy!

Since I've started wearing perfume (about a month), I've been sun sensitive and gotten itchy rashes in the sun. I walk about 15 minutes three times a day at work, regardless of temperature. I guess I won't be able to wear perfume at work, at least in the hot months. I suppose I can try wearing it at night in the house, and make sure to wash it off. Incidentally, are there tried and true methods for washing it off? I'm Thinking maybe cleansing oil. Anyway, any suggestions so that I won't have to give perfume up altogether?

Default Re: Sun/ perfume allergy!

Normal soap and water usually does the trick. Have to say never had the sun sensitive problem. You could try applying lower on the body under your clothes. Behind the knees ankles between the breasts.
    DONNA

You are sure it's not only one particular perfume? I can wear hundreds but unfortunately Serge Lutens Un Lys gives me a rash.

Hmm... It might be the ones with citrus - Escada Taj Sunset and Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. I will test my theory.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

A lot of substances cause photosensitivity; bergamot is one known culprit.

Wear on skin not exposed to sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Marybeth View Post
    Incidentally, are there tried and true methods for washing it off?
    I have success with just an unscented soap and good scrubbing.. I have never noticed any remnants of scent.

Bad news... I tried another one - Calvin Klein Beauty scent strip from a magazine - I was fine until I woke up with bumps on my arms.

Aw! I hope you don't have to give up wearing perfume altogether! What you could try is, just spraying it on your clothes instead, or even on your hair. narciso rodriguez actually does a spray just for hair!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Or spray it on a bit of blotter paper, cloth or ribbon inside a filigree locket / aromatherapy locket. The fragrance will develop more slowly than on skin but at least it won't be in contact with your skin. EBay has a number of them.

It seems to be all of them. I like the idea about the locket. I wonder if it would happen from that - maybe I'd just cough a little. If I put it on my wrists I get the rash on the inside of my arms or inside of my elbows. If I put it anywhere on my chest I get it on the front of my neck (or a lot lower depending on whether I wore a low cut shirt that day). This is obviously not healthy. Maybe I will try it out again when long sleeve weather comes back around. Or maybe it will be better when the weather is cold because the sun is less ... Of a factor. I live in the American South ( Nashville Tennessee) -- it is hot and sunny. I might experiment with some of your other ideas.