Code of Conduct

Default Should I give Aventus another chance?

Hi,

I recently bought a 5 ml sample of Aventus from the Perfumed Court. I tried wearing it on three occasions, but hated it -- the vague pineapple note was basically drowned out by an ashy, burning tire accord on my skin. I know about the legendary Aventus batch variances, and was wondering if I should wait a while and try it again; or if I should just chalk this one up to "it doesn't smell good on my skin"? I really feel left out since so many seem to love this fragrance.

Default Re: Should I give Aventus another chance?

Not everyone reacts the same to a fragrance. My guess is that it might not be for you.

I wouldn't. The good stuff isn't so different that you haven't already gotten an idea of what it smells like.
    Last edited by adonis; 30th June 2011 at 10:29 PM.

I would just chalk it up to experience that it's not for you. Otherwise you could end buying another sample and if it's great and you want a full bottle your troubles will just be starting. Because with all the batch variations how do you score a good bottle, do you really want to be ringing around stores asking for the batch numbers on the bottles they sell. It can be more trouble than it's worth trying to get a good bottle of Aventus.

I've worn it today. I just don't like it. Pricey as it is I think it won't get a second chance

Went through my sample last week and I do like it, but for me it's too much trouble to have to drive to Saks to look at all the batch numbers, test them, and then drop $300 to boot. I'd really like to get hold of a sample from the fruity batch numbers, because the one I had was more of the smoky ash and I still liked it. Right now it's a broken fragrance and they need to fix it fast.

Yeah, if you don't like it, you don't like it. You might return to it in the future, as your tastes may change with experience, but for now...no second chance. Plenty of other things to sample.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

im glad i did

planning on wearing it to Vegas
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Sur la Plage

I wouldn't waste any time/effort/money on it. Look elsewhere, there are many better options.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by scenternerian View Post
    im glad i did

planning on wearing it to Vegas
    Was in Vegas last week and while walking the strip at 110 degrees, had a woman chase me down and said she "had to know" what I was wearing. Said you just smell soooo fresh! Received 4 compliments from complete strangers during my visit. Works great in the heat.

Let it go and find other stuff you like. It has some fans, but it's not for everybody, and you should not feel pressured to make it work. Yes, a lot of women like it, but they like a lot of other stuff too.

While there may be something to it, this batch number stuff is all a bit much

When my small bottle runs out, I'm done with it. At least you can smell it and don't like it. I can't smell it after 1/2 hour. Bupkus.

When I first got my sample back in 2010, I didn't think much of it. Then I was offered another sample. Immediately got told by a close friend that it reminded them of Mediterranean herbs and spices. That appealed to me. It was only until recently that I started to seriously consider getting a bottle. I got one last weekend.

I think it grows on you. I wouldn't bother with anything larger than a 5ml sample size just to have enough to try it in all sorts of different combinations of weather, clothing and different types of events or occasions (casual, business, formal, social and so on). At least that way, you'll know whether or not you want to drop the coin on the more expensive full bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Was in Vegas last week and while walking the strip at 110 degrees, had a woman chase me down and said she "had to know" what I was wearing. Said you just smell soooo fresh! Received 4 compliments from complete strangers during my visit. Works great in the heat.
    Maybe people in Vegas are just more open than people over here in Europe?
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Maybe people in Vegas are just more open than people over here in Europe?
    Actually, the woman had an accent and when I asked her, she said she was from Manchester England.

Actually, the woman had an accent and when I asked her, she said she was from Manchester England.
    Interesting... Maybe I should pay them a visit up there and see how they react to it?!?!?!
    Thanks for the reply, ziffy!!

I think alot of the batches from 2010 have been really inconsistant and not that pleasurable. The 2011 batches are a lot better and probably a good example of what Aventus is supposed to smell like.

My home town! I'm kind of not surprised because we Northerners are renowned for being more candid and open than than the southerners (read Londoners).

We have a phrase 'letting on' which refers to acknowledging somebody's presence. So, typically if you're out walking in the north and somebody passes going the other way, you both smile and say 'hello', i.e. you 'let on' to each other. Try that in the south and you're likely to get looked at as if you have grown a second head...

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Interesting... Maybe I should pay them a visit up there and see how they react to it?!?!?!
    Thanks for the reply, ziffy!!
    Try to catch them when they're sober, though!!

No. Please keep the demand low for this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post
    My home town! I'm kind of not surprised because we Northerners are renowned for being more candid and open than than the southerners (read Londoners).

We have a phrase 'letting on' which refers to acknowledging somebody's presence. So, typically if you're out walking in the north and somebody passes going the other way, you both smile and say 'hello', i.e. you 'let on' to each other. Try that in the south and you're likely to get looked at as if you have grown a second head...

Try to catch them when they're sober, though!!
    John, this is very true! I have found the north to be much friendly than the south. Quite right about London - say good morning to a stranger and you may get a knuckle sandwich in return!

I should add I got a compliment on TdH Parfum when a flight from Dublin to London. I literally got pulled into the air stewards' area by three young stewardesses on leaving the aircraft. Thought I did something bad, but they were all looking at me like a parrot ready to feast on ripe cherries. They wanted to know what I was wearing. I replied "can't you see? jeans and a t-shirt" but they were having none of it. They wanted to know the exact name of the fragrance...

I have a decant, and it's ok, but I'm just not crazy about it. I don't think I understand why you are trying so hard to like it. I used to think I had to have a Creed in my wardrobe (and do, but totally by accident), but all the Creeds I've tried so far just don't thrill me. I'm not saying Creed is not good; it just doesn't appeal to my nose for whatever reason.......so far. (You might have Creeds already, but I can't see your wardrobe.) My advice would be to tuck the sample away for future reference, and buy something that you have a VISCERAL reaction to!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I really wanted to like this one. Fortunately I got a sample before I bought. I did not like it at all. Move on to something that works better for you.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

It's a real compliment getter for me, nothing else has come close.

I got a decant from The Perfumed Court a while back and it smells of "burning tires" as well. Maybe not as extreme but still predominantly bitter smoke. Bleh.

A part of me wishes that I got the fruity, vibrant version people have been raving about. I can imagine what it would smell like in my head
    ...but the other part of me doesn't want to even bother because it sounds like such a headache dealing with the inconsistencies
    Time to musk up.

i'll be getting my decant split in few days, honestly i never smell it before, i do have high expectation from Aventus, if this one meet all my expectation definitely will get the 4 oz bottle with the same batch. cross fingers...

In my opinion, scents are like books: try it out, and if you just can't get into it, toss it aside. There are too many other options. Don't waste your time forcing yourself to "like" a scent. Life is too short to try to plow through a bad read or a bad scent. "Bad" of course being a matter of taste, but your taste is what matters most to you!

Aventus is good, not great, and females DO rave about it, including my wife. Personally, I prefer GIT, SMW, Erolfa, MI at the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekisen View Post
    I got a decant from The Perfumed Court a while back and it smells of "burning tires" as well. Maybe not as extreme but still predominantly bitter smoke. Bleh.

Correction: ROYAL burning tires. Correction no.2: ROYAL bitter smoke.

P.S. Find some solace: the presence of the ROYAL (bathroom deodorant) "pineapple" ain't helping much.

I only got it for the chicks...and I can tolerate it.

I'm reasonably fond of it, so if it isn't a huge bother you can always do another test wearing in the future. Are there any shops near you that carry it? If so, you can always spray some on while out shopping some time to give it another shot. If not, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. For the significant cost of Creed's, you could easily hold off for something that grabs your attention throughout its entire life cycle, from the initial blast throughout the dry down. No need to force yourself to like something when there are hundreds of great fragrances out there.