Code of Conduct

Default Like winning the lottery - ordered Vol de Nuit extrait and Diorama

I feel like I've won the lottery, but like all lottery winners, the little voice inside is saying, 'Stay calm until you have something in your hand'.

A kind basenoter steered me to a perfume outlet in Northern England which has the Vol de Nuit pure parfum available. To my surprise, when I asked them about Diorama, they said they had it in stock. I'm still incredulous, because it's more likely to be Diorella or Dioressence. But they assured me it was so.

If I manage to get this sent all the way to Oz, it will be quite a coup. The exclusive lines of Dior are just not available here, for love or money. Not even through the major department store that holds a lot of the niche perfumes.

So I will wait with bated breath for confirmation that it is indeed being sent to me. Perhaps I will buy a lottery ticket to celebrate when that day comes.

Default Re: Like winning the lottery - ordered Vol de Nuit extrait and Diorama

Congrats on your purchase. I have seen so much more Dior in Europe than in the US. Here, even Diorella or Diorissimo are available only in a couple of fancy dept stores. I was almost going to say that I've seen Diorama in Europe too, but I didn't pay enough attention to be sure.

I hope you smelled Vol de nuit beforehand, after the negative experience with the previous classic Guerlains. In any case, it is indeed much less unusual than AO. there are lots of orientals around, whereas AO's style is quite unique and little explored in modern perfumery.

cacio

I've been more and more aware of the very strange business practices of some of the French perfume houses today. They are cutting their own throats with their rush to be exclusive. On the one hand, production runs are small, so they don't have overheads, but by denying widespread access, they are also cutting out potential customers.

In my youth, if a man wanted to impress a woman, he had any number of fine French fragrances widely available. Today, he'll probably buy Chanel No 5. Might help to explain why No 5 has remained so popular. My husband kept me supplied with everything I wanted over many years, but now most things I love are only available online. In Australia, the retailers are crying poor because of the online purchasing going on. But we simply have no choice.

I have the Vol de Nuit EDT, but was desperately keen to have the extrait. Like many other EDTs, it's a little light. Since I love it so much, the idea of luxuriating in a pure perfume had become almost obsessive.

As far as the Guerlains go, I have settled for four fairly conventional ones as everyday choices - Chamade (which is a joy to wear), Mahora (when it's cold and I want that tropical experience), Vol de Nuit, for that feeling of absolute luxury and Mitsouko, which I feel is eminently wearable on any occasion.

I've actually ended up with more Diors and Givenchys than Guerlains these days.I've pretty much reached my saturation point, having enough quality products to probably last me a lifetime now.

Well, not that Diors and Chanels are absent from regular stores - but the space is now occupied by J'adore, Miss Dior Cherie, Allure and Coco Mademoiselles. Old stuff simply had to move out.

I sprayed VdN parfum in a store and I agree, it's more everything. Richer, more enveloping, more shimmery, more durable. And the bottle itself (for the 30ml) is a little jewel - perhaps the most beautiful of the Guerlains. Chamade parfum is on my to-buy list, Nahema perhaps second, VdN and Mitsouko will probably follow at some point. But perhaps my next (and third) perfume purchase will be a Chanel, Bois des Isles.

Unfortunately, unlike for Guerlain, I've never seen the parfum testers. Instead, some superfancy stores have the Guerlain parfum as a tester rather than the EDP.

cacio

Congratulations. Vol de Nuit in parfum does not have the powdery feel of the edt, it is more warm and woody.
    DONNA

Wonderful news. I'm glad it's going through.
    So no need to get diorama from Sephora? Should i cancel the VdN Parfum order?
    I placed one for you when you asked me to organize it for you.

Yes thanks, Saif, please cancel. (I did PM you, hoping that it would not cause you too much inconvenience.) I do appreciate your readiness to help.

I may have made myself a fine connection with this supplier. If I can get special things by simply phoning, I'm happy to do that. The British Pound isn't as advantageous in exchange rate to the Austalian Dollar as many other currencies, but there are not all that many things I still want to get.

I've pretty much reached the end of the line as far as my purchases go.

Congratulations- a worthy and genuinely fulfilling purchase indeed!