Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these would you recommend?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Epic Man

10 25.00%
  • Gold Man

2 5.00%
  • Jubilation XXV

28 70.00%

Thread: Which Amouage?

Default Which Amouage?

Hey, ladies and gentlemen:

I have done my due diligence. I have tested many Amouages and want to finally pull the trigger on one. So far there are only three that I would even consider, and since it is such a big ticket item, I'd feel better having your input!

And please, if you disagree with my characterizations of the below fragrances, you're probably right; however, to my untrained nose, this perception is reality!

1. Epic Man
    Pros: It has the "bandaid" note that I like, and is otherwise unlike anything in my wardrobe. It is less expensive than some of the others
    2. Gold Man
    Pro: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell (even a little more than Epic) Con: It reminds me of Derby, which I already own
    3. Jubilation XXV
    Pro: Love the smell. Con: It is similar (IMO) to many other perfumes I smell.

What say you? Thanks in advance for taking the time.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Default Re: Which Amouage?

Really hard choice. All three are wonderful and worth buying. In the end I voted for Gold man because it's the biggest, with the idea if one is to have an Amouage, he may as well go all the way and get the most powerful (that is, Gold man, or woman, or Ubar). Perhaps for this reason, though, some people find that Gold is difficult to use because too powerful; not me.

It doesn't remind me too much of Derby. Gold has a lot of incense, thick flowers (tuberose, rose and what not), and is just bigger. I agree that Jubilation XXV, while perhaps the best in the incense category, reminds one of other clean incense perfumes (from Timbuktu on). Epic is a beautiful rose-oud-wood, and, again, there are now a few ouds around. I didn't know that it is less expensive. Are you sure that you are not comparing different sizes?

cacio

This may sound strange, but have you tested any from the women's side of Amouage? I say this because Gold woman is a little more fierce and animalic than the men's ( both are sweet, powdery florals so I'm assuming there's no trouble with those ), and Ubar is a little richer and darker.

Of those three, Epic Man for me. Just now getting into sampling this line. All three are nice, but Epic Man is the winner in my book.

Jubilation XXV by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Jubilation XXV by far.
    +1 beautiful fragrance - one of the best.

If I remember correctly Gold smells like urine? And for me Epic wasn't epic enough for me to place on my wishlist.

I think you Like better Epic, it is very original, and maybe there's a good reason why you wrote it down first. ; )

Jubilation XXV for me..

Jub XXV. There is nothing else like it that I've smelled.

Martin

They're all cool, but personally I would go with Gold Man. It's the Amouage I would buy first if I won the lottery. Also, it's been mentioned on the boards before, but Epic Women is even better than Epic Men, if you can believe that. I didn't until I tried it or myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Really hard choice. All three are wonderful and worth buying. In the end I voted for Gold man because it's the biggest, with the idea if one is to have an Amouage, he may as well go all the way and get the most powerful (that is, Gold man, or woman, or Ubar). Perhaps for this reason, though, some people find that Gold is difficult to use because too powerful; not me.

It doesn't remind me too much of Derby. Gold has a lot of incense, thick flowers (tuberose, rose and what not), and is just bigger. I agree that Jubilation XXV, while perhaps the best in the incense category, reminds one of other clean incense perfumes (from Timbuktu on). Epic is a beautiful rose-oud-wood, and, again, there are now a few ouds around. I didn't know that it is less expensive. Are you sure that you are not comparing different sizes?

cacio
    no, I'm talking about 50ml. I'm not talking about drastic difference in price. I'm talking like $20.00. Thanks for your input!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Thanks to EVERYONE who have weighed in so far! You are all making good points!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    This may sound strange, but have you tested any from the women's side of Amouage? I say this because Gold woman is a little more fierce and animalic than the men's ( both are sweet, powdery florals so I'm assuming there's no trouble with those ), and Ubar is a little richer and darker.
    I'll give this some thought!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

I think that Epic And XXV are far more wearable on a daily basis than Gold. If you want to wear it often, which at the price, I imagine you would, you might go for one of those just because of the increased wearability.

XXV is a great GREAT autumnal fragrance - one of the best. Epic is awesome year round but especially in winter.

I'd urge you to - if you can - wait for the release of Honour and check out Honour Man before deciding. I think you'd have included it in your poll if you'd have had a chance to smell it. (sorry, I know that I am potentially making this more difficult rather than an easier decision )
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm glad I'm not the only one who smells bandaid in Epic Man.

jubilation smells like candy which can be odd at times, and gold is too flowery and not manly

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I think that Epic And XXV are far more wearable on a daily basis than Gold. If you want to wear it often, which at the price, I imagine you would, you might go for one of those just because of the increased wearability.

XXV is a great GREAT autumnal fragrance - one of the best. Epic is awesome year round but especially in winter.

I'd urge you to - if you can - wait for the release of Honour and check out Honour Man before deciding. I think you'd have included it in your poll if you'd have had a chance to smell it. (sorry, I know that I am potentially making this more difficult rather than an easier decision )
    I appreciate your candor. I probably won't wait, as I have been "flirting" with Amouage way too long, and think it's finally time to ask him out on a real date. LOL However, I will not be opposed to sampling Honour when it comes out and owning a second Amouage!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Definitely an hard choice as I own both Epic and Jubilation. I voted for Jubilation for its subtle complexity. It may result kind of nondescript at first but it definitely grows after a bunch of wearings. IMO this is one of the most versatile fragrances of the whole line. Epic Man is amazing too, but maybe a bit more on the "special occasion" side.
    Last edited by alfarom; 29th June 2011 at 02:56 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sur la Plage

Jubilation XXV hands down. Do not waste any time/money/effort on Epic or Gold.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have not re-tested enough to be authoritative, but on my current level of appreciation it is Jubilation xxv, for all the reasons already given.

Jubilation XXV by miles, Such a beautiful scent.

Amouage gold reminds me of those acidic 80's bath salts.

I own all of 3;-) I wold go for Epic!

From your list Jubilation XXV wins but please do try Epic for women its amazing stuff and totally unisex IMO

XXV no doubt!

I have all of them and all are great. But if I have to choose one, I would opt for XXV.

Thanks everyone for your input! It is very helpful!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input! It is very helpful!
    at this point you should definitely go for Jubilation XXV and then, if you want an oud based fragrance to replace Epic Man, you can go for one in the Montale's range. They're much cheaper and you can have plenty of microvariations to choose from in order to get the one that completely satisfies you.

Personally, Epic over XXV by a slight margin in terms of uniqeness.
    I agree, Epic is unlike anything I have ever smelled - in a good way.
    I would go for Epic and come back to XXV later. In the meantime there are other frags that can bring satisfaction if one crave fruity, resinous incense
    Smellin good

I agree with Sculpture that Epic Man & XXV are probably more versatile, or less 'special occasion' than Gold (which can tend to wear the wearer). That said, if I had to choose one of them it would be Gold. The reason being (purely subjective, of course) that I find Epic Man a bit linear - once it has told it's tale once, you know what it's going to say next time. (Altho maybe this sort of consistency appeals, of course). On the other hand, XXV is more complex and nuanced, sometimes quite exotic, other times a bit jammy, but ultimately for me, like other oriental / incense styled fragrances it becomes a bit over-bearing and self-conscious after a while. The novelty can wear off a bit - I mean, just how often do I really want to walk out of the house first thing in the morning this 'visible'.

In other words, if you get either one of these you have to think how often and for how long you will regularly turn to it and feel you're getting a good bang for your buck? With Gold, these concerns are completely averted because you KNOW you will only pull it out it for more special occasions. It is just so damn opulent that it will outlast most of the stuff in your wardrobe - hopefully over time it will continue to grow on you and you'll congratulate yourself on having the foresight to 'lay this one down' for future enjoyment? I dunno - probably thinking way too much here but you did ask

They are all very good - let's face it, so it's your call. I have 10ml or so of Gold, a bottle of XXV and never bothered buying Epic Man - after shooting thru a few samplers I decided I didn't need it but I did buy Epic Woman, which I really enjoy at the right time. Good luck!

Great insights, everyone!!!!!!!!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I agree with Sculpture that Epic Man & XXV are probably more versatile, or less 'special occasion' than Gold (which can tend to wear the wearer). That said, if I had to choose one of them it would be Gold. The reason being (purely subjective, of course) that I find Epic Man a bit linear - once it has told it's tale once, you know what it's going to say next time. (Altho maybe this sort of consistency appeals, of course). On the other hand, XXV is more complex and nuanced, sometimes quite exotic, other times a bit jammy, but ultimately for me, like other oriental / incense styled fragrances it becomes a bit over-bearing and self-conscious after a while. The novelty can wear off a bit - I mean, just how often do I really want to walk out of the house first thing in the morning this 'visible'.

In other words, if you get either one of these you have to think how often and for how long you will regularly turn to it and feel you're getting a good bang for your buck? With Gold, these concerns are completely averted because you KNOW you will only pull it out it for more special occasions. It is just so damn opulent that it will outlast most of the stuff in your wardrobe - hopefully over time it will continue to grow on you and you'll congratulate yourself on having the foresight to 'lay this one down' for future enjoyment? I dunno - probably thinking way too much here but you did ask

They are all very good - let's face it, so it's your call. I have 10ml or so of Gold, a bottle of XXV and never bothered buying Epic Man - after shooting thru a few samplers I decided I didn't need it but I did buy Epic Woman, which I really enjoy at the right time. Good luck!
    love the way you think.
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Since this is turning out to be a Jubilation XXV thread, anyone notices any similarities between Chanel Egoiste and XXV? I'm not saying one replaces the other, but I swear I smell a little Egoiste when I wear XXV.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post

Well said.

Out of these 3, Jubilation XXV is the most boring one to me. Epic Man wins hands down.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have just pulled the trigger on 50 ml of Epic man (and, incidentally, 50 ml of ELdO's Rien).

I know that XXV won the poll, and had more positive comments in the thread. However, I DID listen to you. I was actually leaning more toward Gold when I started this process. Based on my gut instinct, and some key comments (on here and private), I decided on Epic. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Good choice still! Epic Man is one of my favorites from this house. Congratulations!

Jubi, of course!!!! My husband and me, we adore this scent, both!!!!

Basenotes Plus

I'd have picked Epic Man. No questions. JXXV feels a little too opulent for my taste.

Good to hear, lionheart. Epic Man has a terrific grounded sort of tonic quality to it that makes me think of vast open spaces in the Northern parts of Asia. I think the Silk Road inspiration is very apt for this one . . . looking forward to hearing how it goes. Cheers, M

@diamond and mr.reason: Thanks a million!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Love Rien too. So now you have the opulent and the stark. All situations are covered...

cacio

I decided Monday to give Amouge some attention. This thread has been interesting. I am going to purchase the 2 ml sample set of six (Gold, Sliver, Dia, Jub XXV, Lyric and Ciel) and do some extensive testing. I am also looking at two of the Attars. I have a sample of gold and a small ammount of dia to test while waiting for the set. I wore gold yesterday and Dia today. These two have alot of projection, it appears one spray (maybe two) is enough. I hope I do not hijack this thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that the comments have been helpful to me as well. I am really looking forward to testing Jub XXV and Lyric. I have Black Aoud, No. 88 and Rose 31, so I think I will really like Lyric.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Great choice Lionheart! I own both Epic and Jubilation and even if I voted for the latest I still totally anjoy them both. Rien is amazing, I've ordered a bottle as well. It should be in my mailbox as we speak...(I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I decided Monday to give Amouge some attention. This thread has been interesting. I am going to purchase the 2 ml sample set of six (Gold, Sliver, Dia, Jub XXV, Lyric and Ciel) and do some extensive testing. I am also looking at two of the Attars. I have a sample of gold and a small ammount of dia to test while waiting for the set. I wore gold yesterday and Dia today. These two have alot of projection, it appears one spray (maybe two) is enough. I hope I do not hijack this thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that the comments have been helpful to me as well. I am really looking forward to testing Jub XXV and Lyric. I have Black Aoud, No. 88 and Rose 31, so I think I will really like Lyric.
    Hijack away....I have already benefited greatly from the thread!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Great choice Lionheart! I own both Epic and Jubilation and even if I voted for the latest I still totally anjoy them both. Rien is amazing, I've ordered a bottle as well. It should be in my mailbox as we speak...(I hope)
    thanks, al!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Love Rien too. So now you have the opulent and the stark. All situations are covered...

cacio
    Yes, I just ordered several ELdO decants and like a good many of them!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Great choice Lionheart, now you need to start saving for XXV!

It sounds like you've made up your mind already lionheart but I would say Jubilation XXV.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    good choice still! Epic man is one of my favorites from this house. Congratulations!
    thanks voll!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain