75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Musc Ravageur

30 40.00%
  • Tobacco Vanille

42 56.00%
  • Other (please specify)

3 4.00%

Default Musc Ravageur vs Tobacco Vanille

Does anyone else find these two fragrances quite similar? I like both but can't justify purchasing both.

Which would be your choice or feel free to suggest something similar (preferably niche or at least rare)

This scent will be primarily worn for evening social events, bars, going out etc, not daily use.

I'm 31 y/o if that's relevant.

Thanks

Default Re: Musc Ravageur vs Tobacco Vanille

They both have strong vanille in them but apart from that they go in different directions and they could never ever be mistaken for each other if you have smelled both. I do like them both but for me the CROWN goes to Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_B View Post
    .This scent will be primarily worn for evening social events, bars, going out etc, not daily use.
    Thanks
    First of all, I don't find them similar. Personally, I prefer Musc Ravageur over Tobacco Vanille. But for your purpose, Tobacco Vanille would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    They both have strong vanille in them but apart from that they go in different directions and they could never ever be mistaken for each other if you have smelled both. I do like them both but for me the CROWN goes to Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille.
    Yes, for me it's the vanilla that links them I think. I get more vanilla from TV the longer I wear it to the point where it's probably 80/20 vanilla/tobacco. With MR there's still a strong vanilla scent in there maybe 50% throughout but I agree they go in different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    First of all, I don't find them similar. Personally, I prefer Musc Ravageur over Tobacco Vanille. But for your purpose, Tobacco Vanille would be a better choice.
    What purpose would you say MR would be better suited for? I only ask because I interpret them as scents for similar occasions.

Musc Ravageur

TV projects more and lasts longer. It will cut through smoke, if you use it in a bar.

MR, for a more special occasion, closed quarter environment, etc. Too precious to waste the juice if used in a bar. The cigarette smoke will kill the scent.

But this is just me.
    Last edited by volley2; 2nd July 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Easily Tobacco Vanille for me, I like Musc Ravageur but, I like many other scents that accomplish the same thing but better.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Blog Entries

Like comparing apples to chocolate

I still prefer MR over TV.

TV projects more and lasts longer. It will cut through smoke, if you use it in a bar.

MR, for a more special occasion, closed quarter environment, etc. Too precious to waste the juice if used in a bar. The cigarette smoke will kill the scent.

But this is just me.
    The bars in the UK are smoke free anyway but I take your point.

Do you not get strong projection from MR, I find it to be a bit of a sillage monster?

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Easily Tobacco Vanille for me, I like Musc Ravageur but, I like many other scents that accomplish the same thing but better.
    By that do you mean that MR and TV accomplish different things or that they accomplish the same thing but TV does it better?

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Like comparing apples to chocolate
    Really?? Perhaps my nose isn't fine tuned enough yet to appreciate the differences fully, I'm a relative newb to this game. I guess at the moment I'm only breaking scents down into two categories; daytime and evening/going out. I'm currently using Aventus as my daytime scent, this thread will help me decide on my evening one.

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming.

I do get projection from MR, oh yeah!

I do get projection from MR, oh yeah!
    LOL, just more from TV I take it?

Tobacco Vanille
    for me. A cheaper alternative for MR is L'erbolario Meharees.

Blog Entries

Really?? Perhaps my nose isn't fine tuned enough yet to appreciate the differences fully, I'm a relative newb to this game. I guess at the moment I'm only breaking scents down into two categories; daytime and evening/going out. I'm currently using Aventus as my daytime scent, this thread will help me decide on my evening one.
    Well perhaps not as drastic of a difference as I made it seem, but essentially they greatly differ. Just check out the names:

Tobacco Vanille. Its literally tobacco and vanilla notes, plus a few other sweet/spice notes, but for the most part just those two. I fell in love with this on the first smell; to this day it still is the most beautiful and intoxicating winter/formal fragrance I own

Musc Ravageur: Musk and...ravishing (i think?) When I first smelled it I thought it smelled like stale breath and ball sweat with a drop of vanilla just to make you go "WHAT THE HELL MAURICE?!" It's got a good amount of cloves (which if you wear it in warm weather makes you smell like a doctors office, multiple people have told me that), with a beautiful musk and vanilla note. (Imo the clove should be cinnamon, it's infinitely more appealing). It's a pretty nice smell for the winter or cooler days, JUST DON'T WEAR THIS IF YOU'LL BE SWEATING (atleast not until it dries down), you will literally smell like the dentist. With this one I go between a sort of bubblegum musk and a great vanilla musk, it really keeps you on your toes.

So the only common ground they really have is the vanilla, and the two vanillas are pretty different. The spices are totally different (TV is more "christmas desert" spice (hell it smells like eggnog to me sometimes!), MR is more...idk the spices in MR are really just the wrong ones, the clove just freaking sucks!). The true difference is the musk vs. no musk, so depending on how much you like musk, that plays a huge role in the two.

Personally Tobacco Vanille is better, but Musc Ravaguer is ever so slightly easier to wear (Tobacco Vanille is some seriously potent stuff!)

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post

Tobacco Vanille
    for me. A cheaper alternative for MR is L'erbolario Meharees.
    It is a very close alternative. Get Meharees and a decant of TV and you have them both.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Both are great, but I woted "others". That`s because I think Hermes Ambre Narguile beat both of them.

I find TV to be exceptional, each and every time I wear it... But I seem to anosmic to the musk in MR, so there is some bias against it. You may really like both.

But I think the consenus in here will always come down on TV. Does a great job of being one of the few gourmandish type scents that can be worn and loved by a young guy like Neurosis and a "mature" guy like me.

I own and love them both. I like tobacco vanille perhaps a little better because of how well it is mixed. Both are sexy colognes. Musc Ravageur is nice too but as I have mentioned before the name is misleading, it is more of a well blended mix of amber, vanilla, and spices with hardly if any musk while with tv what you read is what you get.

Some great feedback guys, thanks a lot.

I'm also going to go with TV. I enjoy both fragrances, but TV is a smooth scent that stays strong for a long time..that's the one good thing about most of the Private Blend line that I've tried so far.

I absolutely love both. However, I actually think that Musc Ravageur is harder to wear. I love Musc Ravageur but some do not like the top notes. Actually, I have had a couple of people ask me why are you wearing that? I am a huge fan of both but as much as I try not to categorize scents like this I gotta say TV for day and MR for night! Both have outstanding silage but the compliment factor for the top notes goes to TV. MR, has a much better drydown IMO as well as the others around me that have smelled this on my skin.

I don't think these two are similar at all, especially after smelling MR's opening. Of the 2 i prefer TV. MR is an acquired smell, which doesn't work for everyone.

agree with all
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Musc Ravageur

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

LOL, just more from TV I take it?
    Yes. =)

I do like them both, but when I had samples both of them, I decided to buy Musc Ravageur. So in this case my choise is Musc Ravageur. Just try them at yourself and then decide which one you like more.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    This.

I have sampled both. I sampled MR with the intention to purchase a full bottle and decided against it. I sampled TV without the intention to purchase a full bottle and am currently entering my credit card information in another window. To me the top notes of MR smell like Carmex lip balm and the dry down smells like Nestle instant hot coco mix. TV smells exactly like a freshly opened package of Red Man Golden Blend chew or very fine fresh unsmoked pipe tobacco. The former came across as a bit overbearing, heavy, and difficult to wear. The latter is sensual and manly. I tip my hat to TV.

I like the opening of Musc Ravageur better than Tobacco Vanille. I like the middle notes of Tobacco Vanille better than M-R. The late dry-down is quite similar on both. It`s almost impossible for me to pick out a winner, but if I was forced, I think I would pick Tobacco Vanille. It`s more masculine.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 5th December 2011 at 05:30 PM.

I prefer TV over MR.
    I prefer vanilla-tobacco over vanilla-cinnamon-cloves.

I love resurrecting threads

MR all the way.
    Smellin good

I enjoy them both, but I voted for Musc Ravageur.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Both are great, but I woted "others". That`s because I think Hermes Ambre Narguile beat both of them.
    True

IMO, Tobacco Vanille is a much more interesting and sexier fragrance than Ambre Narguile.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    I like Musc Ravageur but, I like many other scents that accomplish the same thing but better.
    Such as?

I bought TV after a quick whiff of both led to TV sample/purchase.

MR's drydown is nice, the opening is strange.

TV is gross In my opinion. I would never wear it. I get an old lady perfume out of it, even in very light doses.

I don't own either, but I like TV more. MR is nice, but just isn't bottle worthy for me, especially at the price it's going for.

I can see myself one day purchasing TV though. With all the hype with Mugler fragrances, TV is in a totally different league.

I just blind bought Tobacco Vanille...

I prefer MR over TV.
    MR is a very unique fragrance, it has perfect projection and monster longevity. I just love MR and I find it to be one of the best fragrances ever made.
    TV is great smelling fragrance although it is vanilla fragrance and I don't find it to be unique. It's little to sweet for my taste, doesn't project much and lasting power is ok, nothing special.

Both fragrances are worth having but MR is in my top 3, I adore it.

MR is an acquired scent. Personally, I'm not a fan. I can't wait the 2 hours for the dry down and I really don't like the opening. What convinced me to stay away from MR, is when i was out with some friends and a girl said "urgh! what smells of piss?"

TV wins, because I can smell the vanilla on application.

They are as different as tobacco and clove.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
    MR is an acquired scent. Personally, I'm not a fan. I can't wait the 2 hours for the dry down and I really don't like the opening. What convinced me to stay away from MR, is when i was out with some friends and a girl said "urgh! what smells of piss?"
    Sounds like a classy girl!

Tobacco Vanille is simplistic and trivial, made for the masses (see poll results), a pleasant accord inside of a vapid composition that suffers from a tiresome affability and is ultimately just a simple annoyance. If fragrances are one of the most portable forms of intelligence, then this one’s empty. But if you don’t know any better then it might be pretty good. It definitely isn’t bad, but the level of banality is too much for me to have much fun with.

Like most fragrances today Musc Ravageur suffers from a drydown lacking the chutzpah you’d expect from the name. It works but it isn’t the mesmeric thing that it could be. Some more animalics would help, but I love Musc Ravageur anyway, and among other things it’s a great place to go when Jicky edt isn’t enough (they work well together). MR smells great, it’s rich, round and memorable, definitely has the capacity to satisfy in most areas, and after owning it for seven years I like it as much or more than ever.

I don’t even compare the two. I can understand why some people would like the smell, but it’s evident by Tobacco Vanille’s relative lack of texture that it was made in three months and would probably make a better candle; whereas Musc Ravageur is a well thought out and substantial fragrance that will mean something in twenty years.
    Last edited by pluran; 8th December 2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: mons veneris

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I just blind bought Tobacco Vanille...
    I doubt you'll be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I doubt you'll be sorry.
    I don't think so either, it's a pretty calculated blind-buy.

musc ravageur

Musc Ravageur- Top notes-Good, Midnotes-Average, Drydown-Incredible
    Tobacco Vanille- Incredible from start to finish

Verdict- Both are masterpieces but Tobacco Vanille is more complete.